Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-14, 05:35   Link #501
bkg9990
Singin Diamond Crevasse
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to bkg9990 Send a message via Yahoo to bkg9990
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasumiGirl View Post
Just curious, what was/is this post reserved for?

Can't wait to see all the sigs on Sunday. ^^
Maybe for the entries?
Old 2008-03-14, 05:38   Link #502
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg9990 View Post
Maybe for the entries?
Ah, yes. Maybe so.

I just thought that Sol would publish all the entries only in the voting thread, thats all.
Old 2008-03-14, 07:26   Link #503
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasumiGirl View Post
Ah, yes. Maybe so.

I just thought that Sol would publish all the entries only in the voting thread, thats all.
Originally it was going to be for any extra stuff like notices and whatnot, but it's just gonna be an empty post for now. The entries will be compiled in the voting post, you are correct. While it does make it a little more difficult to sort through the thread and gather all the correct entries, it also helps ensure people have to look through the thread to see what everyone is working on. If I do use that post, it will likely be to gather the entries in one spot after the submission date closes so that I can just copy/paste it into the voting thread. We'll see.

I'll likely need a few hours on Saturday to organize everything, and I'll have the voting thread up sometime Sunday like last month's contest. I'm not running a nomination phase this month, because the ideas are still forming and input from everyone is still being taken in. I encourage everyone to go to the SOTM generic discussion thread if there are any suggestions/feedback you want to give on the nomination phase or any other aspect of the contest.

Also, I'll need a volunteer or two to help with vote counting. Sephi has already offered to lend a hand again, but another person to check our numbers wouldn't hurt.

On that note, I'm off to bed.
Old 2008-03-14, 08:02   Link #504
KasumiGirl
The endless sky
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Originally it was going to be for any extra stuff like notices and whatnot, but it's just gonna be an empty post for now. The entries will be compiled in the voting post, you are correct. While it does make it a little more difficult to sort through the thread and gather all the correct entries, it also helps ensure people have to look through the thread to see what everyone is working on. If I do use that post, it will likely be to gather the entries in one spot after the submission date closes so that I can just copy/paste it into the voting thread. We'll see.

I'll likely need a few hours on Saturday to organize everything, and I'll have the voting thread up sometime Sunday like last month's contest. I'm not running a nomination phase this month, because the ideas are still forming and input from everyone is still being taken in. I encourage everyone to go to the SOTM generic discussion thread if there are any suggestions/feedback you want to give on the nomination phase or any other aspect of the contest.

Also, I'll need a volunteer or two to help with vote counting. Sephi has already offered to lend a hand again, but another person to check our numbers wouldn't hurt.

On that note, I'm off to bed.
I'll do it again...
I did kind of a lazy job with it last time, but i'll be sure to double check triple check on my votes first.
Old 2008-03-14, 08:46   Link #505
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Solace, just want to check with you to make sure you received my messaged entry some days ago. I wouldn't want the wrong sig submitted ^_^!

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Old 2008-03-14, 15:25   Link #506
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quite on the deadline but well...
Trying to spice it up with some animation, I'm not exactly sure how the quality drops and how the animation is but heh
Working the very first time on an animated sig is quite not a cake walk, gah

Static:

Still trying to spice this thing up... ahem >_> *toying with the static one with other pattern*

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-03-14 at 16:11.
Old 2008-03-14, 16:05   Link #507
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Wow, how did you do that? When your animation isn't going Opera tells me that your animated image is an 11 kb JPEG, but when it is going it says it's a 39 kb GIF. On top of that, for a GIF I see barely any quality loss compared with your static version (and I'm at work, using one of those crazy-sharp and huge Apple displays). What's the secret?

That aside, I initially didn't notice the animation until you pointed out that it's an animated one. It's pretty neat. If there were a lot of quality loss I'd go with the static one, but because there's virtually no difference between the two (how is that possible??) you might as well show off the nice animation.
Old 2008-03-14, 16:08   Link #508
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Wow, how did you do that? When your animation isn't going Opera tells me that your animated image is an 11 kb JPEG, but when it is going it says it's a 39 kb GIF. On top of that, for a GIF I see barely any quality loss compared with your static version (and I'm at work, using one of those crazy-sharp and huge Apple displays). What's the secret?

That aside, I initially didn't notice the animation until you pointed out that it's an animated one. It's pretty neat. If there were a lot of quality loss I'd go with the static one, but because there's virtually no difference between the two (how is that possible??) you might as well show off the nice animation.
There isn't much secret behind it in fact: there are actually 2 images: the left part in gif, the right part in jpg. That's why you got a 10kb, then a 38 kb. (the total is roughly 49.900 bytes, so i'm still safe )

Since jpg can be decent in quality with a pretty tiny size, it is rather better to split the signature into several parts, so you can save the size and quality trouble. Of course, the animated part would be better if it is quite localised and restricted to few colors. animating a colorful portion is simply hurtful >_>
Old 2008-03-14, 16:12   Link #509
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari;
Trying to spice it up with some animation, I'm not exactly sure how the quality drops and how the animation is but heh

Very nice, For a first time it is pretty good, all though the brightness hurts my eyes slightly its a good effort.
10 times better than me!

Old 2008-03-14, 16:47   Link #510
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
With the quality lose i notice. You are around the 50 or so for Save for Web? From experience around 60 sort of is the point were you notice the quality lose. I would stick with at least 65 to be on save side and sacrifice some from the .gif

I notice notable artifacts forming around her hair, as well as her eye looking less radiant. Though i don't think anyone will notice that without comparing any of the signatures.

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Old 2008-03-14, 18:21   Link #511
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
With the quality lose i notice. You are around the 50 or so for Save for Web? From experience around 60 sort of is the point were you notice the quality lose. I would stick with at least 65 to be on save side and sacrifice some from the .gif
Quality is at 55, but it is impossible to sacrifice on the gif side, considering i'm on 128 with 10 lossy. Any change on these parameters would be uglier and noticeable than the jpg itself I believe

But well, considering the sig itself, I might use this one as my final entry instead;

Edit: This is my Official Entry

Overhaul on brightness, colors and a swipe/slash tail for the sword (that alone doesn't give much possibility to add a pulse aura, and the quality itself would be bad to connect both parts).
Huh... a bite more than 30 minutes before changing/deciding the final entry

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-03-14 at 18:55.
Old 2008-03-14, 18:29   Link #512
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Just popping in to remind everyone that entries are no longer being accepted. However, I see a few people still working on last minute tweaks and stuff, so I'll bend the rules a little bit and allow those people to finish up.

Remember, please put "OFFICIAL ENTRY" in the post that contains your final submission so that I can list the correct one. Thank you.

Quick edit: For those who sent me entries privately, yes I have received all of them. I still have a lot of sorting to do so please be patient.
Old 2008-03-14, 18:34   Link #513
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Just popping in to remind everyone that entries are no longer being accepted.
Just to nitpick a bit (well, I'm not creating something out of the blue again ), but there is still 20 minutes ish before the said deadline. (it isn't midnight on GMT/UTC wise)

I don't mention that for myself (though I sure needs more opinions for the "official entry"), but that would be clearer in terms of directives then.

*still pondering for official entry*
Old 2008-03-14, 18:38   Link #514
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Hmm...did I calculate it wrong? *goes off to check...*

Hmm, suppose I did. Good catch. (darn timezones..grumble grumble...) Ah well. In any case, they'll be closed "soon", so last call, finish up, etc.
Old 2008-03-14, 19:19   Link #515
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Ah damn it I lost the psd file for the sig, so I have to drop out, as I thought about it I don't really want to submit in a rush work.
Old 2008-03-14, 19:52   Link #516
Reith
Light Gaia
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Reith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reith View Post

OFFICAIAL! Even though I'm not gonna place anything. You never know.
Old 2008-03-14, 20:48   Link #517
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

Static:

Still trying to spice this thing up... ahem >_> *toying with the static one with other pattern*
You are much better sending the static version >.< the area above the sword and her eyes are quite awefull >.<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-03-14, 20:51   Link #518
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I won't use either anyway, the entry I chose is at #511 (static as well). It is quite suicidal to roam on complete left field
Old 2008-03-14, 20:53   Link #519
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Well, I didnt finish reading up first before posting it

But not bad for an animated job, tho it doesn't look so fitting with her pose
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2008-03-14, 21:02   Link #520
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I'm still super-impressed at using multiple file formats and piecing them together like that. Really innovative. Gives me a few ideas...

Tags
sotm