AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-06, 21:30   Link #161
marvelB

Ugh, I think Marco being a phoenix Zoan would actually make his ability more broken than Whitebeard's. I mean seriously, a phoenix power would pretty much be a combination of Ace's and Brooke's abilities (fire + resurrection), and that would just be WAY too "hax", even for Oda's standards. Pretty much the only way to one-up a power like that would be if Oda threw Gold Experience Requiem into the mix (Jojo fans should know what I'm talking about, here ). I'd actually sa that a gas/plasma Logia would be more preferable to a power like that (or my spark fruit idea, of course)......

Oh, and..... I wanna see more of walrus man next chapter.
Old 2009-08-06, 21:30   Link #162
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

i like that WB has his own laugh as well. i guess that oda goes for this with quite unique characters. most of the weird laughs have been from Giants. WB could be a giant.
Old 2009-08-06, 21:36   Link #163
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayote View Post
i like that WB has his own laugh as well. i guess that oda goes for this with quite unique characters. most of the weird laughs have been from Giants. WB could be a giant.

We've had a good few non-giant characters with pretty distinctive laughs (Arlong, Foxy, Moria (he's big, but he's NOT a giant), Apoo, etc.). While it's possible that Whitebeard may be a half-giant, I think he's really just a normal human with gigantism, since we've seen plenty of guys like that throughout the series (including some of the marines in this very storyline)......
Old 2009-08-06, 22:24   Link #164
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Ugh, I think Marco being a phoenix Zoan would actually make his ability more broken than Whitebeard's. I mean seriously, a phoenix power would pretty much be a combination of Ace's and Brooke's abilities (fire + resurrection), and that would just be WAY too "hax", even for Oda's standards. Pretty much the only way to one-up a power like that would be if Oda threw Gold Experience Requiem into the mix (Jojo fans should know what I'm talking about, here ). I'd actually sa that a gas/plasma Logia would be more preferable to a power like that (or my spark fruit idea, of course)......

Oh, and..... I wanna see more of walrus man next chapter.
I don't think a phoenix zoan would qualify as Hax. Pretty much nothing oda does is hax, even if we've seen something like it before, he has a way of making it unique. Like how Moria and Blackbeard have pretty much the same ability but both of those abilities does completely different things. If there was a phoenix zoan I'm pretty sure it would follow that same path.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
Old 2009-08-06, 23:43   Link #165
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

My guess would be Mihawk fought hard and end up scratch (or "wound") through Jozu's defense. Then the fight was stopped half way, and later Zoro will fight Jozu, success to beat him before encounter Mihawk for final fight......

PS: The most surprised ending would be: Hancock jump out and defeat WB in one blow.... Then we will see a lots of "Wtf" from OP fan xD
Old 2009-08-07, 00:07   Link #166
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Just finished reading it, Another absolutely terrific chapter, Oda continues to prove why he's the king of shounen manga.

Lots of crazy and wacky character designs, Awesome powers, and lots of badassedness.

Gotta love how Akainu's just sitting there calmly, Oda's really setting him up to be something special.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:28   Link #167
Bordix

FINALLY ALL OUT WAR!!

Chapter is just so crazy, I don't even know where to look anymore. With this kind of setup anything can happen. Let's see how Oda will handle this fight with everything so jumbled.
Old 2009-08-07, 01:30   Link #168
Rainbowman

Quote:
Also, the more I look at him, the more I'm actually sorta starting to doubt that Onigumo's a Zoan. It looks more like those extra arms sprouting from his back are made from his hair, and we've actually seen a similar technique used by Kumadori in the Enies Lobby arc. So either Onigumo is a Zoan, or he's a master of Life Returns. But I'm still really hoping that he's a Zoan, since we're finally starting to see more of them in this storyline, like the dalmatian (who I'm pretty sure is NOT Garp) and walrus guy (I especially love the walrus ).
I wouldn't doubt about Onigumo being a Zoan because I've seen some spiders that are pretty hairy in looks.

Quote:
My brother having to see a character with a phoenix Zoan would be a highlight for him as he goes with a phoenix theme.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:40   Link #169
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I wouldn't doubt about Onigumo being a Zoan because I've seen some spiders that are pretty hairy in looks.

My brother having to see a character with a phoenix Zoan would be a highlight for him as he goes with a phoenix theme.
it looks more like hair control though as the body itself didn't change. So far all the zoans have whole body changes and not just partial. At the least the face changes + fur growing or something on the body. My worry is that this is so similar to hachi (6 swords) abeilt a stronger version.

pheonix can be hax depending on the intepretation. and limitations can be set anyway like not being able to revive a 2nd time within 10 hours or something. About all the pheonix fruit should give would be flight, rebirth and possibly fire on the body for extra dmg. not that hax.
Old 2009-08-07, 02:52   Link #170
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u View Post
I don't think a phoenix zoan would qualify as Hax. Pretty much nothing oda does is hax, even if we've seen something like it before, he has a way of making it unique. Like how Moria and Blackbeard have pretty much the same ability but both of those abilities does completely different things. If there was a phoenix zoan I'm pretty sure it would follow that same path.

I dunno..... since resurrection is pretty much what the phoenix symbolizes, that would undoubtedly be a part of its powers. That's why I still can't help but think that it would basically be a mix of two preexisting DF powers, which would ultimately make it cheap and redundant. Sure, maybe Oda could tweak it somehow so that it actually stands out in its own way, but for now I don't really see how.....

....But it's not like I have anything against there being Zoans based off of mythical creatures. After all, Ancient Zoans are pretty much a step in that particular direction, are they not? But the way I see it is that the majority of Zoans that DO resemble mythical creatures in some way would actually depend on some quirk from the user (like how Gan Fall's bird ate the horse fruit, making him a pegasus, or the minotaur of Impel Down actually being an Awakened Zoan). I'm even crossing my fingers for the chance that a dragon Zoan appears in the series at some point (I actually think that it could work as an Ancient Zoan, thanks to the legend of samurai Ryuuma).......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisoka?? View Post
it looks more like hair control though as the body itself didn't change. So far all the zoans have whole body changes and not just partial. At the least the face changes + fur growing or something on the body. My worry is that this is so similar to hachi (6 swords) abeilt a stronger version.

Like I said before, he could be using Life Returns, since Kumadori also used that technique to manipulate his hair during Enies Lobby. But I guess the only way to be really sure is if he actually morphs his body to a slimmer/buffer form like Lucci......
Old 2009-08-07, 03:04   Link #171
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
I dunno..... since resurrection is pretty much what the phoenix symbolizes, that would undoubtedly be a part of its powers. That's why I still can't help but think that it would basically be a mix of two preexisting DF powers, which would ultimately make it cheap and redundant. Sure, maybe Oda could tweak it somehow so that it actually stands out in its own way, but for now I don't really see how.....
Don't forget the fact it allows the user to fly.

A phoenix fruit could very well be one of the five known Devil Fruits that allows the power of flight.
Old 2009-08-07, 03:14   Link #172
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:

....But it's not like I have anything against there being Zoans based off of mythical creatures. After all, Ancient Zoans are pretty much a step in that particular direction, are they not? But the way I see it is that the majority of Zoans that DO resemble mythical creatures in some way would actually depend on some quirk from the user (like how Gan Fall's bird ate the horse fruit, making him a pegasus, or the minotaur of Impel Down actually being an Awakened Zoan). I'm even crossing my fingers for the chance that a dragon Zoan appears in the series at some point (I actually think that it could work as an Ancient Zoan, thanks to the legend of samurai Ryuuma).......

Like I said before, he could be using Life Returns, since Kumadori also used that technique to manipulate his hair during Enies Lobby. But I guess the only way to be really sure is if he actually morphs his body to a slimmer/buffer form like Lucci......
yes, as I said it could be hair control. manner of doing so is really negligible. Although likely to be that life return thing as there is precedence.

Or maybe it's really haki that's making those arms
Old 2009-08-07, 07:45   Link #173
Vree

Phoenix?...Where did that come from? I think that's a pretty daring guess based on only one obscure picture...
Besides, Zoan fruits might only have five flying types but clearly quite a lot of other fruit types allow for practically the same.*
Of course, if it turned out to be true then it'd boost the chances of the Dragon's a Dragon hypothesis by 66.6%.

Are awakened Zoans like a permanent Monster Point minus the berserk effect, I wonder? Oda's working hard to bring up Zoans to the level of other DF users doesn't he

* By the by. That limitation did not make much sense originally considering how much those types actually make up of the animal kingdom. But now that we have a group scene it is clear that it was important for the conservation of badassery. The airspace be preserved for elites like Kizaru, a bunch of bug/bird/bat Zoans flying around in every big fight would be too Marvel Comics for this kind of story.

Last edited by Vree; 2009-08-07 at 08:01.
Old 2009-08-07, 08:23   Link #174
MihawkXGP
Master of The Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vree View Post
Phoenix?...Where did that come from? I think that's a pretty daring guess based on only one obscure picture...
Besides, Zoan fruits might only have five flying types but clearly quite a lot of other fruit types allow for practically the same.*
Of course, if it turned out to be true then it'd boost the chances of the Dragon's a Dragon hypothesis by 66.6%.

Are awakened Zoans like a permanent Monster Point minus the berserk effect, I wonder? Oda's working hard to bring up Zoans to the level of other DF users doesn't he

* By the by. That limitation did not make much sense originally considering how much those types actually make up of the animal kingdom. But now that we have a group scene it is clear that it was important for the conservation of badassery. The airspace be preserved for elites like Kizaru, a bunch of bug/bird/bat Zoans flying around in every big fight would be too Marvel Comics for this kind of story.
Spoiler for Marco Phoenix:

Take a look at the part circled in Red. They look like wings. Look at the image circled in green. They kinda look like 2 wings of fire.

I think that does add weight to the theory that it is a Phoenix zoan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMASHERJACKSON View Post
wanted to add "Jozu" seems to be called Diamond Jaws, and also that i wonder how oda will make the rest of one piece battles appealing since wer seing action on such an epic magnitude currently
Actually, its supposed to be 'Diamond Joz', Joz and Jaws do sound very similiar so its a mistake on the translator's part.

Last edited by MihawkXGP; 2009-08-07 at 08:39.
Old 2009-08-07, 08:34   Link #175
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I don't know where people had the idea that mythological creatures are Ancient Zoans.

As far as I know, X Drake transformed into a Dinosaur, a Theropod to be exact.

A Dinosaur = T-Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus and such.

Maybe ancient mammals as well, Woolly Mammoths, Sabre Toothed Cats, Giant Ground Sloths etc.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-08-07, 10:13   Link #176
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vree View Post
Besides, Zoan fruits might only have five flying types but clearly quite a lot of other fruit types allow for practically the same.

No, it hasn't been said that there's five types of flying Zoan, but five flying types of Devil Fruit, period. For example, at Impel Down we clearly saw that Lafitte had wings, but he wasn't in the form of a bird or anything, was he? He probably has a Paramecia that's related to wings/feathers in some way.

And besides, while five flying fruits may sound awfully limited, remember that people have ways to compensate for that, anyway (like the Geppou technique in Rokushiki).

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
I don't know where people had the idea that mythological creatures are Ancient Zoans.

As far as I know, X Drake transformed into a Dinosaur, a Theropod to be exact.

A Dinosaur = T-Rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Diplodocus and such.

Maybe ancient mammals as well, Woolly Mammoths, Sabre Toothed Cats, Giant Ground Sloths etc.

Well, I said that Ancient Zoans are closer to the idea of fruits based off mythical creatures since they're fruits that allow the user to transform into legendary extinct animals. Or heck, maybe it will even be the case where an Ancient Zoan's Awakened form resembles a mythical creature in some way (like an Awakened dino Zoan would probably resemble a dragon, or something). Really, it's pretty much Oda's call here......
Old 2009-08-07, 12:41   Link #177
Vree

What do we call Smoker's ability then? Even if he cannot stay with it in the air indefinitely (which might not even be true) neither can birds so it's as close as you can get, isn't it?
Old 2009-08-07, 12:47   Link #178
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
What do we call Smoker's ability then? Even if he cannot stay with it in the air indefinitely (which might not even be true) neither can birds so it's as close as you can get, isn't it?
Logias are different.

We've seen Ace and Smoker both stay in the air for a prolonged period of time; same with Crocodile. This 'suspension' is different to flight imo.

We've also seen Kuma 'teleport' himself using his paramecia DF power. I don't think that really counts as 'flight' either.
Old 2009-08-07, 13:06   Link #179
Nosauz

just some speculation on how this is going to go down, I assume that we probably wont see any of the other straw hats in this arc? and if so, doesn't it seem a bit dissappoint per se. I mean even though luffy is the main character, I find one piece to be at its best when the whole gang is interacting, and this just seems to be a smogasboard of fruit users, which reminds me that it seems very similar to what is happening in bleach, with the constant one ups manship, which in my opinion doesn't really fit with growth that we are accustomed to within an arc.
Old 2009-08-07, 13:27   Link #180
lonewolf777
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
just some speculation on how this is going to go down, I assume that we probably wont see any of the other straw hats in this arc? and if so, doesn't it seem a bit dissappoint per se. I mean even though luffy is the main character, I find one piece to be at its best when the whole gang is interacting, and this just seems to be a smogasboard of fruit users, which reminds me that it seems very similar to what is happening in bleach, with the constant one ups manship, which in my opinion doesn't really fit with growth that we are accustomed to within an arc.
I posted this before in a different thread, I think, so sorry to anyone if I'm being repetitive, but actually, I think this battlefield will be the meeting place of the Straw Hat crew, via Silvers Rayleigh's biblicard. I think he is on the battlefield too, but yet to be revealed. Since Whitebeard's ships were coated, it could have been the Dark King who did it. Also, since the cat's out of the bag that he's still around and the bounty is still on his head, why would he not want to help weakening the WG so he can live in peace, while also saving his former Captains son (whether or not he knows about Roger and Ace is yet to be revealed, of course)? Another reason I think that lends to this theory is the cover pages of the chapters. Oda's mini-arc stories always center on something that's happening elsewhere, but will not take place in the main manga itself; in this case, the last few chapters' covers have been of the Straw Hats breaking free, etc., so maybe he could just spare us the details and have them all meet up at Mariejoie, with the sub-story being told via cover pages.
Closed Thread