AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-07-03, 07:57   Link #21
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I'm pretty sure that the press release said that both English and Japanese versions are coming this winter season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by press release
Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it will release CHRONO TRIGGER(R) in North America this Holiday season.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 09:24   Link #22
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Sheesh people, I know that PSX port had loading times, which was a problem, but it still exists, okay? Also, it brought us those nice cut-scenes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety
You know whats sad about this?

None of the Chrono games have ever made it into Europe.
Indeed! But then again, Square always released shoddy PAL versions at 50 Hz.
Old 2008-07-04, 01:06   Link #23
Ledgem
Love Yourself

It's nice news; Chrono Trigger was my first RPG and thusly I think it was the best RPG so far. I don't think I could bring myself to play through it again, though. I played through Chrono Trigger on the SNES dozens of times to get practically all of the endings. By the time I was done, Chrono was at level **(maxed out; was that level 100?). I still have my SNES and the Chrono Trigger cartridge... I guess I'll skip purchasing this. It'd be nice for nostalgic purposes, but not much else.
Old 2008-07-04, 16:14   Link #24
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmaknight22 View Post
hm... i wonder if the bonus dungeon was the unfinished dungeon people found in the SNES chrono trigger. Actually, now that I think about it, it was finished. It had a soundtrack and the dungeon was mapped out. It was just removed from the final release =\
You mean the singing mountain or whatever?

Hmmm, I can't say how excited I am about this. I've already played the game many many times to get all the unlockable content on the PSX version so I don't really see the point. I'm really not sure what's going on with Square-Enix these days. Perhaps they should consider a sequel to Chrono Cross or something. I mean after several awful FF7 games I think it's the least they can do to expand on their other neglected franchises a little more. Give them effort some too, I mean the latest Mana games have been a far cry from Seiken Densetsu 3.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 16:41   Link #25
Yamada
Minori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Give them effort some too, I mean the latest Mana games have been a far cry from Seiken Densetsu 3.
Oh how true. Don't even get me started on that.

I'm excited to see what this 'new' Chrono Trigger will have to offer though. As long as there's no glaring problems this is a game I'm definitely picking up.

*adds to watched list*
Yamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 16:56   Link #26
Excorsism

Nice. This might give me reason to play my DS again. I remember playing this and it was really fun.

I happen to have the cartridge in my closet right now, but my mom threw away my Super Nintendo. She thought it was broken because the adapter was faulty and so, she tossed it in the trash. Makes me sad to see Chrono Trigger rotting in my closet.
Old 2008-07-04, 18:12   Link #27
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

*spazes out of control*

This was the very first RPG I ever got addicted to, I can't wait.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 19:32   Link #28
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

I never played this. I heard its good though so I'll look into it when it comes out...
Old 2008-07-04, 20:11   Link #29
EoT
~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
Wonder how long it will take for an english port though
Probably 6-7 months like the FF4 is taking
EoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-04, 23:01   Link #30
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

^
Press release says otherwise. Considering the game is almost a direct port, they need very little in terms of translation. All they have to do are the extra sections, some debugging here and there, and maybe retouching some of the older translations. I highly doubt they're going to do a complete overhaul, ala War of the Lions, so I really think that holiday season (same date as JP version, or very soon after) is a very viable date with little or no delays.

And hey, they best release it before the holiday season, since that's when the best time to release games.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 03:27   Link #31
Rikimtasu

Send a message via MSN to Rikimtasu
Clear scan found.
Dual screen rock!
Old 2008-07-05, 08:51   Link #32
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
All they have to do are the extra sections, some debugging here and there, and maybe retouching some of the older translations.
I hope they actually retranslate the game. If the recent retranslation by fans is of any indication, the translation wasn't that bad, but a lot of detail was left out.
Old 2008-07-05, 09:49   Link #33
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
Perhaps they should consider a sequel to Chrono Cross or something.
I'm not too sure that's likely, though. I recall an interview with SE saying they didn't want to make a sequel because so many of the original team that developed the original games were gone.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 10:16   Link #34
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Chrono Cross made me puked my guts out, I refuse to acknowledge that games correlation with the masterpiece that was Chrono Trigger.
Old 2008-07-05, 10:38   Link #35
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I liked Chrono Cross quite a bit. I didn't like it as much as Chrono Trigger, though. Its ties to Chrono Trigger were also incredibly weak, and overall it lacked the Chrono Trigger feel.
Old 2008-07-05, 11:16   Link #36
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Chrono Cross should've been a stand alone game. It should've never been associated with CT.

C.C was too drastically different, and nothing made sense. I first played it in hopes that I'll get to see the old crew again, failed. Well maybe I'll see the cool innate magic system, fail. Ok, maybe I'll see double and triple techs unique to each pairing of characters, fail. All I'm left with was a WTF?!
Old 2008-07-05, 14:27   Link #37
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Chrono Cross did have one thing going for it, an absolutely amazing soundtrack. I actually prefer Yasunori Matsuda to Nobuo Uematsu at times and now both seem to have gone on to do other things. The people that replaced them are just not of the same calibre.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 14:47   Link #38
rg4619

Quote:
I recall an interview with SE saying they didn't want to make a sequel because so many of the original team that developed the original games were gone.
It's kind of an excuse. Chrono Cross was already developed by a radically different crew (most of the original developers moved onto games like FFVII and FFT), so staff changes never stopped them before. It's also known that Masato Kato and Yasunori Mitsuda are interested in making a new Chrono.

According to Mitsuda, political issues prevented Square Enix from doing anything with the Chrono property. However, the situation seems to have changed with the Trigger port. I suspect that someone at the top recently ordered this (as opposed to any of the game producers, who've downplayed any chances of a port, remake, or sequel), given their recent comments on how the company is losing touch with mainstream fans.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 11:39   Link #39
Ending

Sad, really, since I still remember the topics about how Square-Enix shot down the 3D Chrono Trigger fan-project. They were making good progress, but made the mistake of revealing the project too soon and got the classic Cease and Desist -letter as thanks.

And now they want to cash in with a barely touched version of the SNES classic? That's cheap
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 12:44   Link #40
Wesley84

Kind of ironic. The only reason I bought the Playstation port was because FF4 came with it. If the DS version has little to offer besides a new dungeon, I don't think I'd bother buying it. However, if it's a major conversion with a host of new, story and character related material added in like they're doing with the FF4 remake, I'd defininently buy it.
Wesley84 is offline   Reply With Quote