AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-26, 13:20   Link #8801
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
also, keep in mind that the drone is VERY small in terms of aircraft (its 2x2.5 meters), so actually spotting it is much harder by day, and virtually impossible at night.
I'ld consider that a rather big fish for a system that is also meant to defend against tiny stuff like mortar rounds and such. A radar does not need day light, and IR trackers and lasers neither.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:29   Link #8802
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I'ld consider that a rather big fish for a system that is also meant to defend against tiny stuff like mortar rounds and such. A radar does not need day light, and IR trackers and lasers neither.
if it exists, it has a weakness.
just a matter of figuring it out.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:50   Link #8803
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
if it exists, it has a weakness.
just a matter of figuring it out.
It has indeed, shooting down a mortar round costs much more money (for amunition) then the target mortar round. Also there is a limited amunition cache in such systems. And if the number of targets (multiple targets at the same time) is too large it cannot defend all of them. Defense is always more expensive then offense. Thats the weakness of any defense system.
Old 2010-08-26, 13:57   Link #8804
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
It has indeed, shooting down a mortar round costs much more money (for amunition) then the target mortar round. Also there is a limited amunition cache in such systems. Defense is always more expensive then offense. Thats the weakness of any defense system.
while that IS very true, i was thinking more about that particular drone VS a system like sky shield or goalkeeper.
they way i see it, making a drone like that which is capable of beating something like sky shield, is simply about giving the radar and IR sensors a different target.
which shouldn't be that hard.

the drone is configured with a delta wing formation (there's a picture on the wiki page).
the way i figure it would work, is that once the target is locked on, and the drone on attack vector, it could purge both wings when its close enough to the target that its already on a collision path.
each wing has a considerably larger radar sig then the main body of the drone, and would be capable of tricking the radar to focus on them rather then the main body.
it could also be modified to fire flares at the same time that it purges the wings.

it wouldn't last for long, but it doesn't HAVE to last long.
it just needs to buy a couple of seconds while gravity does the rest and the main body of the drone crashes head first into the radar system.
Old 2010-08-26, 14:28   Link #8805
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCman View Post
The thing is that Jackie Chan is not a talker
This pretty much summaries why his image has been worsening in the recent years in the eyes of the Hong Kong people.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

Old 2010-08-26, 14:35   Link #8806
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
"wipe most the ME off the planet"
a bit extreme don't you think ?

the middle east is an area you CONTROL, not DESTROY.
it contains too many valuable resources to just wipe it off the planet altogether.
it contains much of the world's deposits of oil, jews, natural gas, phosphate, and a considerable amount of religious places (tourist bait).
the goal is to take control over the area so it serves your benefit, not destroy it.

Well, the hypothetical we were using is World War III, and going by what happened in World War II, it's not that extreme. We also have neutron bombs now, allowing us to kill most of the population but preserve the infrastructure, so it'd actually make it much easier to take over and utilize afterwards.
Old 2010-08-26, 15:14   Link #8807
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Well, you should not feel ashamed because of the hostage taking and the result of it, since you have nothing to do with it. There's no relativity and causality at all!
Well, right now it seems the world has adjudged what we Filipinos truly are -- in the negative.

Quote:
The government and police of the Philippines have made miscalculations/mistakes which could have been avoided by proper planning. What were they thinking, sending police officers who didn't have any determination to save the hostages (when they retreated because the hostage taker began to shoot and after a long time the police began to act again and went for a second try, a large part of the hostages would be dead by then; did the police know this is not an exercise)?
It would've been good if the necessary factors for a successful hostage rescue were there (and it seems that a Rainbow Six player might be better off planning the rescue, heh), but on that day there wasn't anything, and of course no concrete plan for such a contingency. Efficiency, foreknowledge and creative thinking are (still) obviously unheard of in local law enforcement.

So instead of individual Filipinos collectively realizing their mistakes and taking drastic action to correct themselves before moving on, it's easy to lay blame on the authorities, President Aquino and the powers-that-be involved, lay blame on our past colonial history (see recent Huffington commentary), education and culture, but all that finger-pointing and grandstanding (what an irony!) isn't going to bring back the dead or reverse the trauma of the living victims; it only makes things worse.
Old 2010-08-26, 15:29   Link #8808
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
"wipe most the ME off the planet"
a bit extreme don't you think ?

the middle east is an area you CONTROL, not DESTROY.
it contains too many valuable resources to just wipe it off the planet altogether.
it contains much of the world's deposits of oil, jews, natural gas, phosphate, and a considerable amount of religious places (tourist bait).
the goal is to take control over the area so it serves your benefit, not destroy it.
Actually, if you have read about the history of the ME since the fall of the Ottoman Empire, you'd probably say that it certainly deserves to be destroyed. The people there have taken religion way too seriously that they are asserting their beliefs on others forcibly.

Of course, the only current value it has now is oil, and the three other major sources are probably in Russia and in some of the Baltic states, Alaska and South America (Mexican gulf waterways).

Quote:
In computerised artillery systems, be it AA or land bombardment, it runs through a system with primary and secondary tiers. The primary radar system picks up data from its secondary systems and sends a different radio signal to discern between the threat-type and IFF by sending a strong radio pulse - that is what the drone is built to pick up and destroy.

The reason why immediate-fire ASARMs like Shrike are not as useful is due to the missile homing in at the radio signature of the secondary system (due to how radar works) which are easily replaced. Hitting it with a Shrike is a waste of a sortie : the real HVT is the primary radio station.

Regarding the usefulness of the drone, it would be its airframe. Something so lightweight like that could be easily disoriented with a ball round from a GPMG. Also, it needs to have a explosive payload, primary transmitters usually have homogenous alloy plating that can withstand regular ball rounds up to the 7.62x 51/54mm or even .50 BMG, and is sometimes housed in ERA to prevent its loss against deep-penetration commandos armed with anti-tank weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Efficiency, foreknowledge and creative thinking are (still) obviously unheard of in local law enforcement.
The first two are not that prevalent in most SEA states. Don't worry about the third one though, it is practically non-existent in the SEA. *sarcastic*

Quote:
So instead of individual Filipinos collectively realizing their mistakes and taking drastic action to correct themselves before moving on, it's easy to lay blame on the authorities, President Aquino and the powers-that-be involved, lay blame on our past colonial history (see recent Huffington commentary), education and culture, but all that finger-pointing and grandstanding (what an irony!) isn't going to bring back the dead or reverse the trauma of the living victims; it only makes things worse.
Making it worse or better, it doesn't bring the victims back. I think it is best for everyone, be it participants or observers, to move on and focus their energies in preventing such a tragedy from happening again.

In my opinion, the most important thing is to clean up the political system. It always starts from the top when it comes to things like this : the MILF is a good example of how decadent the socio-political system was planned there, but nobody learns any lessons from it.

Otherwise, it would still be best to move on. No use crying over spilt milk and pointing fingers.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-08-26 at 15:40.
Old 2010-08-26, 15:40   Link #8809
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Actually, if you have read about the history of the ME since the fall of the Ottoman Empire, you'd probably say that it certainly deserves to be destroyed. The people there have taken religion way too seriously that they are asserting their beliefs on others forcibly.

Of course, the only current value it has now is oil, and the three other major sources are probably in Russia and in some of the Baltic states, Alaska and South America (Mexican gulf waterways).
1)i know enough to know that its a shit hole
but i don't think it DESERVES to be destroyed
what they deserve, is to be reduced to what they USED to be before Oil became such a major product in the middle east, and elevated countries like Saudi arabia to a place of power that they rightfully shouldn't be in.
and once electric car grids enter full service, this too will change.

2)aside from Oil, the middle east also contains large amounts of natural gas.
it also contains over 40% of the worlds jew deposits (which, if properly utilized, is worth its weight in gold).
the only other comparable Jew deposits are in north america, with much smaller deposits spread around Europe (Europe used to also have large Jew deposits, but they "squandered" them)
Old 2010-08-26, 15:44   Link #8810
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
2)aside from Oil, the middle east also contains large amounts of natural gas.
it also contains over 40% of the worlds jew deposits.
Jewel or jew deposits?

Ah heck, whatever you mean, the sentence makes sense either way it is read.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-08-26, 15:45   Link #8811
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Jewel or jew deposits?

Ah heck, whatever you mean, the statement makes sense (not logic) either way it is read.
the latter
Old 2010-08-26, 15:56   Link #8812
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
the latter
Unfortunately, you may be right. There is a number of Nobel Prize winners who are Jewish in ethinicity, like Einstien (Photoelectricity), Pauli (Pauli Exclusion Principle), Niels & Aage Bohr (atomic structure) and Fritz Haber (Haber Process for making ammonia), just to start the list.

Nazi Germany could have been the first nuclear power if they aren't anti-semite. This goes to show that one gains nothing from being racist (or "anti-racist"/puritan, for that matter).

Old 2010-08-26, 17:00   Link #8813
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
People can diss me on this, but at least Jackie Chan's trying to show that he is not a racist or anything against my countrymen and wants the peace between Hong Kongers and Filipinos alike.

And that's the end of this post. I won't say anything else.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2010-08-26, 22:11   Link #8814
FateAnomaly

Must be the lack of tabloids news in Hongkong recently that made those people go crazy.
Old 2010-08-26, 22:23   Link #8815
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Must be the lack of tabloids news in Hongkong recently that made those people go crazy.
Probably not, that news was big enough for that. But the more ''tabloid news'' they will get, the faster the anger and attention will move.
Old 2010-08-26, 23:03   Link #8816
AnimeFan188

Venezuela, More Deadly Than Iraq, Wonders Why

"Some here joke that they might be safer if they lived in Baghdad. The numbers
bear them out.

In Iraq, a country with about the same population as Venezuela, there were 4,644
civilian deaths from violence in 2009, according to Iraq Body Count; in Venezuela
that year, the number of murders climbed above 16,000.

Even Mexico’s infamous drug war has claimed fewer lives."

See:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/23/wo...?_r=2&emc=eta1

I guess the Venezuelans should just end their futile occupation of Venezuela and
pull out.
Old 2010-08-26, 23:04   Link #8817
AnimeFan188

Iran has material for 1-2 atom bombs: ex-IAEA aide

"Iran has stockpiled enough low-enriched uranium for 1-2 nuclear arms but it would
not make sense for it to cross the bomb-making threshold with only this amount, a
former top U.N. nuclear official was quoted as saying."

See:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100826/...Jhbmhhc21hdGVy
Old 2010-08-27, 01:50   Link #8818
AnimeTheme
MJ - Forever King of Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
People can diss me on this, but at least Jackie Chan's trying to show that he is not a racist or anything against my countrymen and wants the peace between Hong Kongers and Filipinos alike.

And that's the end of this post. I won't say anything else.
Jackie screwed the whole thing up with his saying by trying to defend the PNP at the beginning. He definitely oversimplified the whole incident. There was no "dilemma" between negotiation or taking action in this case, simply because PNP did NEITHER properly. There was NOTHING you could really say at that point to defend against the fatal mistakes made by the PNP, especially as a Hong Konger.

I think the vast majority of people agree with the later part of his saying, and that is not to direct their anger at Filipinos living in Hong Kong. However, maybe that wasn't the smartest timing to say so when it was just hours after millions of HKers watching the Philippines government screwing the whole thing up with so many lives lost live on the TV. I think it's understandable that many HKers had irrational anger at that time (probably including me).

Even though Jackie is a celebrity of Hong Kong, he often talks like he is an outsider more than a HKer. He often talks about the wrong things at the wrong time, and very often he doesn't really understand what he is talking about.

Check out my Windows gadget gallery!

Old 2010-08-27, 02:14   Link #8819
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
I guess the Venezuelans should just end their futile occupation of Venezuela and
pull out.
For this to work, your implication requires that the reason for violence is the very same in both countries. This you failed to show somehow. And thus makes your statement very stupid (not even funny, because I can't laugh about civilian casualties and violence)!

(not saying that pulling out of iraq makes the country more peacefull, this pipedream ended with the ousting of the former regime)
Old 2010-08-27, 03:20   Link #8820
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lol, what the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by article (lol WUT)
A US woman punched two restaurant employees and smashed a drive-through window - because she could not get Chicken McNuggets at a McDonald's restaurant in Ohio.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international