Notices

Old 2006-04-14, 15:24   Link #1
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Tomino on Gundam - Losing Interest

Quote:
"I've lost interest in Gundam; on the other hand, my supervision of Zeta movies is essentially a summary (of what Gundam is about). So, (I) hope to prepare something new."
Taken from here:: http://logic.itsc.cuhk.edu.hk/~z0442...am/129907.html

Dr Core, a la the GML Archives translated that last comment. Title of article:: Tomino disappointed in today's Gundam.

Anyone who can read this, please comment :S
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 16:06   Link #2
The_Marshal_AEB
ZEON ALIVE !

Send a message via MSN to The_Marshal_AEB Send a message via Yahoo to The_Marshal_AEB
I didnt read yet, but I think that he lost intrest from a time ago and TurnA was his last shot
The_Marshal_AEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 16:11   Link #3
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Marshal_AEB
I didnt read yet, but I think that he lost intrest from a time ago and TurnA was his last shot
Yep.

I'm gald he came back to direct the Zeta movies though. I'd love it if he would continue his awesome work with Gundam, but I'd completely understand if he finally calls it quits for good. He's starting to get seriously old and needs to get away from streessful work for the sake of his own health.
Old 2006-04-14, 17:16   Link #4
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Okay, I'm sorry, but you aren't Tomino's doctor. You don't know his health and you sure as hell can't tell what he can and cannot do. There have been other directors that are older than dirt that continued directing until they keeled over. If you are a director, you laugh at stress.

And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2006-04-14, 17:23   Link #5
artquest7@

Didn't Tomino just do a small anime of dunbine (or whatever it is..) called wings of rean? Im really interested in seeing Tomino's non gundam works and I can't seem to find em on the internet. Anyone know where to pick some up? I think gundam is great but you can only create so many gundam works without it getting old. Turn-A was really amazing and I think that it was so good perciesly because he was fed up with gundam. So he created something totally different. I have heard that he wanted to combine more then just his gundam works.
artquest7@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 17:49   Link #6
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

L-Gaim is one of his other big works since he did that alongside Nagano. Only problem is the only sub hasn't moved in forever.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 17:50   Link #7
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Tomino got way from Gundam not because he's old, but because he wants to "move on".

Gundam was no longer the "Gundam of his visions", it clearly became much more than that, considering how many different directors, script-writers, mangakas had been involved with it over the last 2 decades.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 19:32   Link #8
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Okay, I'm sorry, but you aren't Tomino's doctor. You don't know his health and you sure as hell can't tell what he can and cannot do. There have been other directors that are older than dirt that continued directing until they keeled over. If you are a director, you laugh at stress.
Errr, why the hell do you sound like you're getting mad? And I'm sorry, but age is an unchangeable fact of life. Stress is not good for you, especially at the older ages. And believe it or not, admit it or not, being a director is not the most stress-free job in the world by any stretch of imagination and you can't just "laugh stress off."

I never ever ever said that the reason he dropped Gundam before was because he is getting old. I SAID "[u]I can understand if he stops directing Gundam. He is getting old and needs to get away from stressful work."

If you can't tell, two things that annoy me are 1) when somebody seems to get mad at me for some obscure reason, and 2) when people say I'm wrong about stuff I never said or even thought.
Old 2006-04-14, 20:10   Link #9
Meehlimo
Gundam Otaku

Send a message via AIM to Meehlimo Send a message via MSN to Meehlimo
correct me if im wrong isnt there another gundam series in the works besides stagrazer?
Meehlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 20:32   Link #10
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo
correct me if im wrong isnt there another gundam series in the works besides stagrazer?
Yeah, something along the lines of a series that would appeal to the old-school U.C fans or something. Whether or it's actually UC or simply a similar to UC type Gundam is unknown. Doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon though.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 22:36   Link #11
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

More highlights::

Quote:
Highlights I had a friend pick out for me::

- He thinks old people shouldn't direct Gundam
- He also said there needs to be a balance between old ideas and new ideas
- He is disappointed in the japanese anime industry
- He also hates the pretty girls in the anime industry now
- He says the Japanese Anime Industry needs to "awaken"
- He also said anime > films (in the sense that anime can do whatever it wants)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Errr, why the hell do you sound like you're getting mad? And I'm sorry, but age is an unchangeable fact of life. Stress is not good for you, especially at the older ages. And believe it or not, admit it or not, being a director is not the most stress-free job in the world by any stretch of imagination and you can't just "laugh stress off."
STRESS IS YOUR FRIEND. LEARN TO LOVE IT, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU SUFFER FROM BLOOD COUGHING FITS LIKE I DO! :/

Age or not, so long as you are still capable of walking, talking, sketching, etc there is NOTHING that can stop you from directing. Like I said, you aren't Tomino's doctor to tell what condition he is in.

Quote:
I never ever ever said that the reason he dropped Gundam before was because he is getting old. I SAID "[u]I can understand if he stops directing Gundam. He is getting old and needs to get away from stressful work."
Okay... I think taking the reign of a NEW SERIES is more stressful than directing Gundam by a long shot. With Gundam, you have a pre-existing 'template' or sorts to follow where as a brand new show... nothing. (Don't bother citing Fukuda or the others on this. I'm referring to Tomino directing Gundam).

Quote:
If you can't tell, two things that annoy me are 1) when somebody seems to get mad at me for some obscure reason, and 2) when people say I'm wrong about stuff I never said or even thought.
A). I'm not getting mad. Maybe if you re-read your posts you could see why people "SEEM" to be mad at you.

B). Um... yeah, okay. We aren't mind readers so if you "think" you know what you are saying yet you don't post it, we're only here to interpret what you said, and what you said was,

Quote:
He's starting to get seriously old and needs to get away from streessful work for the sake of his own health.
That being said, you are basically saying "lawl... he's an old fart who needs to stop directing and retire otherwise he'll croak."

Old 2006-04-15, 11:29   Link #12
Astronopolis
clam chowder fresh breath

Send a message via AIM to Astronopolis
dude,Deacon Blues, chill out youre being weird

anyway, my stand on this whole issue is FINALLY!
hes tired of regurgitating his own old work over and over, and i dont blame him, gundam really has turned into a shitpile as of late, and tomino himself isnt able to change it for the better on his own, or at least it isnt really worth saving as it stands.
not to turn this into a U.C. vs SEED battle here, but honestly MSG could have been just as dramatic and entertaining without any kind of mobile suits in it at all, and i beleive the same could not be said for more recent entries in the gundam franchise.
so yeah, i think hes trying to say that the anime industry as a whole is "beating a dead horse" as it were, and i totally agree with him
Astronopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 12:32   Link #13
evilshadow

Quote:
- He hates the pretty girls in the anime industry now
I thought he got over the whole hating women/depression issue he had during V-Gundam.

That would've been hilarious to see him pitch the whole "Let's send pretty bikini clad girls with Bazookas against the V2 Gundam!" idea to his production staff.
evilshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 15:10   Link #14
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

*stabs Astronopolis because he lives near him*

I'm not weird. I'm normal. You are all acting weird XD

Old 2006-04-15, 15:25   Link #15
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
Errr, why the hell do you sound like you're getting mad?
Don't worry to much about it. Deacon Blues always seems to come off angry no matter the type of post he makes. Just one of those things I've noticed. If he is or isn't is up for debate but he just has an angry tone a lot of times.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 17:11   Link #16
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

LMAO... Hokay. Interpreting text on the interbutt is rather amusing. I may sound angry, but I'm really not. Besides, it's not like you know me in person... if you did you'd know that I'm actually a really kind person that bends over backwards. Then again, I suppose the interbutt brings out the worst in people --;;

Old 2006-04-16, 13:29   Link #17
SuperAsuradaGundam

Send a message via AIM to SuperAsuradaGundam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale
Yeah, something along the lines of a series that would appeal to the old-school U.C fans or something. Whether or it's actually UC or simply a similar to UC type Gundam is unknown. Doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon though.
I heard from Guonta that it was going to be a UC series. the question is when is it going to come out
SuperAsuradaGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 19:15   Link #18
artquest7@

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAsuradaGundam
I heard from Guonta that it was going to be a UC series. the question is when is it going to come out

Most of the evidence points to the 30th anniversary of gundam.
artquest7@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 19:35   Link #19
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect
Don't worry to much about it. Deacon Blues always seems to come off angry no matter the type of post he makes. Just one of those things I've noticed. If he is or isn't is up for debate but he just has an angry tone a lot of times.
Yeah Deacon has a nice habit of trolling or bitching ppl out on forums. Gets pretty monotonous after the third or fourth time.

Obi 11 Deacky 2
Old 2006-04-16, 19:38   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meehlimo
We have no clue...for all we know the UC-friendly series they were talking about (that was rumored) is MS IGLOO Apocalypse...I have no faith that Bandai will do anything but throw SEED3 down our throats...

@Obi-Wan - I see alot of him in you xD....Atleast I b!tch with content X)...