AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

View Poll Results: Amagami SS - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 8 12.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 18.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 29.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 21.88%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 9.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.56%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-27, 16:06   Link #61
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I can't wait til we hear Sae be forward and assertive. I really wonder how her voice will sound then.
Old 2010-08-27, 16:07   Link #62
wingman32x

A decent episode. I'm not sold on Sae yet, though. I usually don't like the shy girls in romance series, so we'll see how this goes. She did have some cute moments though, and Miya was funny this episode, too. So it's not all bad.

Can't wait for next week, because I get to see Ai again . She should get more screentime this arc considering the central girl is one of her friends.

This episode gets a 7/10.
Old 2010-08-27, 16:29   Link #63
Itlandm
Porcupine

It looks like they are trying to make this arc into a different type of anime, a love comedy. (Not that the earlier two were completely free of humor, but no more so than life itself.)

I have a theory, unfortunately, of why this happens now. I think it is to draw attention away from the fact that Junichi basically is exploiting his position as senpai. I am not sure how strong that tradition is in Japan any longer, but from what I have learned, a senpai used to have a very strong position of respect in the past. So for instance the part about Junichi bringing Sae to his room and touching her stomach would hit a bit too close to sexual harassment if not framed by the utter ridiculousness of the narrator and other cheesy effects.

Junichi has always been a horndog, but he has never had the upper hand before. With Haruka he had to beg for attention, and Kaoru was at the very least his equal. Sae is not only his junior, she is painfully shy. Without intervention through the fourth wall, who knows what he might do.
Old 2010-08-27, 16:59   Link #64
Dreamchaser

I've waited for this arc since we were first introduced to Sae in episode 1. Despite her shy attitue she managed to make quite an impression of me and she's been the only character, that I remember anyway, that has shown a special interest in Junichi from the start. We've seen in the two earlier arcs that Amagami is capable of creating a fairly enjoyable romance story. So at the very least I was expecting an arc that at least resembled the earlier ones. I'm also aware that Sae isn't one of the more popular girls in Amagami but I didn't think that it would result in this disappointment.

Spoiler for Episode 9:

I really hope that the next episode will be better since I really want this to be a good arc given that I really like Sae.
Old 2010-08-27, 18:10   Link #65
Nerroth
NePoi!

Myaa rules the roost once again!

I wonder if anyone dissing the narrator will have a Black Key heading their way any time soon.

Also, I hope they go into exactly why Sae is as shy as she is; was she always like that, did something happen, was it the moving elsewhere school-wise, etc.

I really hope they can show that kind of mutual understanding between her and those around her, in terms of progressing her character forward.
Old 2010-08-27, 18:13   Link #66
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

They will probably drop something in to why she is shy of others, and probably how she got so well in terms of relationship with Junichi's sister. I'm not really dissing the narrator or anything, but this anime does not really need that kind of thing going on.. Although it does help clarify situations if we somewhat get confused, and this narrator is nice enough to let us see the chatting without him interrupting. I just think the narration is just not the type for this anime..
Old 2010-08-27, 18:36   Link #67
Daydreamer Rumi-chan
is perfectly unique 100%!

I agree with Itlandm on his points about the narrator, although it'll take some time for me to adjust to this.
Spoiler for #9:

Hey, anyone remember the narrator from BakaTest? That guy was hilarious. I think it's because of how entertwined he was in the actual story, that made things extra funny.
Old 2010-08-27, 20:09   Link #68
Midnight Bliss
Radiant as the sun;
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Midnight Bliss
Sae's song is definitely my favorite ED so far. It's so catchy and adorable, I love singing to it~ It's just so nice and jumpy yet kind of calm? And I've always kind of leaned to dislike on her voice, but they made the song to just go so perfect with her voice. I love that Ai will get more screentime on the next ep, I really am looking forward to her and Tsukasa's arc.
I think Junichi and Sae make a pretty adorable couple. I love opposites, he's kind of the push she needs to be able to get better at the areas she's not so good at. I feel like I can relate to her because I am overly shy and I can't really socialize with anyone in real life and i'm pretty quiet and shy like that and stuff, so it was fun to see that I can relate to her. XD Love the song, again, so much. So far, I think Junichi and her make the best couple, I didn't like Junichi and Haruka together, they didn't really click for me. Junichi and Kaoru was nice but Junichi and Sae are a lot better imo.
Old 2010-08-27, 20:31   Link #69
Qikz

Sae is just so cute, oh dear lord that was awesome! So far, I'd say she's by far the cutest!
Old 2010-08-27, 21:31   Link #70
Francismeunier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Also, I hope they go into exactly why Sae is as shy as she is; was she always like that, did something happen, was it the moving elsewhere school-wise, etc.
I can tell you that her parents not helping her out and being workaholics might be one thing. The car is obviously not cheap and she is a only child in the family. I am seeing already some factors but as you say what is the exact reason will be a nice find to come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Bliss View Post
Sae's song is definitely my favorite ED so far. It's so catchy and adorable, I love singing to it~ they made the song to just go so perfect with her voice.
Finally someone who loves it as much as me and is positive about it! +1 The ED rocks and now I think have seen it over 20 times. Can't get enough of it.
Quote:
I think Junichi and Sae make a pretty adorable couple. I love opposites, he's kind of the push she needs to be able to get better at the areas she's not so good at.
Exactly! Could not agree more and Miya is the final help that Junichi might need to get together as a couple with Sae.
Quote:
I feel like I can relate to her because I am overly shy and I can't really socialize with anyone in real life and i'm pretty quiet and shy like that and stuff, so it was fun to see that I can relate to her. XD
The only way I can relate to this is sadly the regret of never meeting a girl like that IRL I did see some but I never got the chance to be with......I should have since it would make be with her forever instead of going around to different girls......it's another story for somewhere else.
Quote:
Love the song, again, so much. So far, I think Junichi and her make the best couple, I didn't like Junichi and Haruka together, they didn't really click for me. Junichi and Kaoru was nice but Junichi and Sae are a lot better imo.
I know.....having a younger girl of one year with you sure makes a difference compared to a older girl or the one of the same age. So how much did you laugh at the coffee spill of Junichi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
I have a theory, unfortunately, of why this happens now. I think it is to draw attention away from the fact that Junichi basically is exploiting his position as senpai. I am not sure how strong that tradition is in Japan any longer, but from what I have learned, a senpai used to have a very strong position of respect in the past. So for instance the part about Junichi bringing Sae to his room and touching her stomach would hit a bit too close to sexual harassment if not framed by the utter ridiculousness of the narrator and other cheesy effects.

Junichi has always been a horndog, but he has never had the upper hand before. With Haruka he had to beg for attention, and Kaoru was at the very least his equal. Sae is not only his junior, she is painfully shy. Without intervention through the fourth wall, who knows what he might do.
Well that is interesting indeed. So you think he abuses it a little? I think IRL it may be seen like that but he is doing it for training because he wants to see Sae working with Kaoru......do wonder why not have Kaoru train her instead when she would be available? I still don't see the intention of Junichi being over powering on Kaoru....the danger is that he is obsessed with her breasts and their size. Fact is also that he likes their feelings from the piggy back ride. So I say that yeah he could abuse his power as senpai but I don't think he would do that due to mainly the stood up date.

Last edited by Francismeunier; 2010-08-27 at 21:43.
Old 2010-08-28, 00:17   Link #71
aldw

The narration was ok for me except the very last bit, which seemed to squeeze too much exposition in a few moments, but otherwise the story was pretty straightforward. Sae reminds me of Rise Kujikawa with Mikuru Asahina's personality in many ways, but is a little too passive for my tastes. Nonetheless she does have potential so it's worth watching anyhow.

Her ending song reminds me of a Burt Bacharach tune from the 60's for some reason though...
Old 2010-08-28, 00:46   Link #72
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

This episode was a pretty good start to this episode, the narration didn't really bother me much. Also this episode made realize this is one of the few series where I like winter uniform more than their summer one, K-ON only besides this. Sae was pretty cute this episode, I think I'll enjoy this arc, and I don't see how she could get ranked lowest out of the girls. Also Miya was great this episode, I hope we'll get to see her a bit more this arc compared to the previous two since her comments are generally funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Sae was so cute :3 Would love her as a younger sister ^^

And the new ED was incredibly sappy, lol.
It was a bit sappy but I still liked the song and animation were cute xD.
MAL
Old 2010-08-28, 02:50   Link #73
Tiberium Wolf

I don't like the ED song and the inclusion of the narrator is major turn off for me . Narrators shouldn' take the spotlight at all!
Old 2010-08-28, 03:35   Link #74
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Narrators shouldn' take the spotlight at all!
Personally i don't think he did, just that he added to some scenes.
Old 2010-08-28, 04:22   Link #75
Qikz

The narrator I found quite funny, especially at the start where Juinichi breaks the fourth wall and aknowledges he can hear him.
Old 2010-08-28, 07:10   Link #76
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

I found the narrator quite amusing as well, and what I really liked: he wasn't overlapping voices like.... you know

And, it's safe to say I've been waiting for Sae-chan's arc, I'm a big fan of the winning combination of Twin Tail and zettai ryouiki. I-I wasn't after her breasts, honest! Those are j-just... a side order to my meal

And I'm enjoying her character even more. She's not that shy sterotype that always run from the MC, and I like how treating that shyness is a part of her storyline. I'm definitely interested in knowing how her regularly assertive voice will be like too

Got a laugh out of the puppy scene too. I don't care if this is sappy rom com, I like it. And that means I like love the ED too, all of it.

heh piggyback ride. I feel like I want to try that too and feel me some boobies er I mean touch me some soft butt er uh, for the exercise, yeah!

/me runs into a wall.
Old 2010-08-28, 09:12   Link #77
NaweG
Just some guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Seemed like they were trying to harness the awesomeness of Hayate's narrator. They did not succeed. But overall it wasn't too bad. Needs more interaction with other characters, since Sae is too timid to carry the show.
Came off more to me like they saw Ookami-san, and thought they'd be cute and add the same - particularly with the breaking of the fourth wall at the start. Kind of hoped maybe the two would react to what the narrator was saying when the piggyback ride was occurring, but can't wish for TOO much
Old 2010-08-28, 09:52   Link #78
SirusRiddler
Mari-nyan <3

I guess Sae is the Nadeko of the series (yes, I know Amagami came before Bakemonogatari) in terms of ED style and character in a way.

Except, Sae doesn't get...molested by invisible snakes (from what I know!) and Nadeko has a much more tolerable voice.

"Choose your own legacy, it's for you to decide." - Solid Snake
Old 2010-08-28, 09:57   Link #79
anyme

Narrator may not important for this arc but it spiced the story. And good way to burn times when there is no dialogue.
Old 2010-08-28, 14:11   Link #80
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Ah! School Rumble's ED, the one by Yuko Ogura, that's what Sae's ED reminded me of.
Closed Thread