AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 90 62.50%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 23.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 7.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 2.78%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.69%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.39%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-07-26, 10:09   Link #121
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonkiong View Post
Incredible 10/10 episode. BTW anybody knows about the phone Konata's using?
It's the FOMA SH903iTV. I would imagine Konata bought it mainly because of the 1seg feature along with the ability to watch full digital TV on a very sharp LCD screen that can be flipped sideways.
Old 2007-07-27, 09:18   Link #122
kodomo
BAKA!

lol... haruhi cosplay!
Old 2007-07-27, 13:18   Link #123
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

GOD!!! I saw the subs on Alert402...

Spoiler for Akira age:

waiting for AFK's version
Old 2007-07-27, 14:09   Link #124
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

Patricia Martin's intro was cute - I'm hoping to see more of her in the upcoming episodes. I was expecting her Japanese to sound a little more...weird, but it still has the whole "gaijin" feel to it.

If you've listened to the drama CD's, though, Satsuki Yukino does a perfect job with her broken Japanese. It cracks me up listening to her.

"YuTAka! KoNAta!!!"
Old 2007-07-28, 01:53   Link #125
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Cultural References: EP16

Alright it's time again... I'll post any cultural references that's not part of the otaku world which I found myself or around the net, and I'll probably skip things that's already posted in this thread. Saa, hajimaru yo!

RINGU
The title of this episode is "Ringu", which is also the name for probably the most famous Japanese horror film of the last 10 years, both in Japan and internationally. I'm pretty sure everyone here's either heard of or has seen the original or the Americanized remake of the film. I'm not sure why the episode is called that, since there are no pale girls with long black hair crawling out of any TV sets, but perhaps it's a reference to many of the minor charas who were either introduced or touched upon in this episode? This is good topic for discussion... why what is the relationship between EP16 and a creepy movie about the ghost of an ESPer girl?

How did she fit in there again?

FOMA SH903iTV Black
The Ultra cool Japan-only Docomo phone made by Sharp which Kotana used to show off her l33t Haruhi rington and background. It can receive digital broadcast TV signal, and there's little doubt she will use it to watch anime. Sharp phones has the best screens because Sharp is one of the few LCD glass makers in the world.

Suge!

Kagami the Orc
The very beginning of the EP we ran into the middle of a conversation where Kona decided that Kagami is an OUKU. And Kagami promptly objected to her appointment as the only monster. It seemed that they're talking about the Orc from the LOTR, which was a monster hit in Japan as well. I think they were talking about which race they each belong to in the LOTR universe.. Kona is OBVIOUSLY a hobbit, Miyuki, beautiful and smart, is very Elfish. Tsukasa is most human of them all, and that leaves poor Kagami to be the Orc. Hey, there's a whole interesting story behind TWO LINES in this anime!

Female Orc from Lineage II - they no got female Orcs in LOTR...

Sukiyaki Da!
The dish Hiiragi family was enjoying is the famous Japanese nabe dish すき焼き (Sukiyaki). It's just a lot of good stuff in a pot cooking in a special soy-sauce-based soup. Most nabes has clear broth as its base, but Sukiyaki is special in that the soup itself is very flavorful (some would say a bit savory...). The trick to nabe dinners is "more grabbing, less talking". You talk, you starve... and those whose chopstick and jaw moved the fastest wins. This is clearly a lesson to all who has never enjoyed dishes like nabe or Chinese/Korean firepots. Don't chat until you're full. Another thing about Sukiyaki... you can keep the left over soup and cook it until it becomes a sauce, and eat it over rice the next day!

Oishisou!

Horse Crap Seafood
Konata was having issue with the Japanese name for a type of sea urchin called "green sea urchin". The name is "バフンウニ" or "Horse Crap sea urchin". As you can see below, it's an apt name.

Oh Crap!

Family in a Bento
After the Microwave Drink episode, Konata said Miyuki and her mom are like "The parent/child in a bento". In Japan, many dishes have the name "Oyako", or "Parent/Child" in them. This is usually referring to a dish with the main ingredient of egg and chicken, hence the play on word "Parent/Child." For example, one of the best donburi dishes is Oyako-don, a rice bowl covered with egg and chicken. Kona uses this expression to describe how similar or close they are.

Mou Oishiisou!

LittlePSX
This is very otaku but I want to mention it. The cafe Kona worked for was the earliest version of one of the first Cosplay/Maido cafe around, LittlePSX. I read about LittlePSX when maido cafe first came about a few years ago. This version was when it was a "Cheap Sweet" cafe, where you pay a set fee and get to eat all sort of cheap snacks and drinks. Now appearantly it's now a "maido darts bar". I don't know what you're supposed to do in a maido darts bar... some one care of fill this in? You shoot darts at maids while drunk?

the original LittlePSX... the anime was pretty close wasn't it?

Reunions and Golden Week
Just want talk a little about these school topics. First of all, reunions. A school reunion starts the year you graduate from a school. Since this is Japan, you have 3 schools - grade, middle, and high school. These reunions are going to last a long time, if you are a close knit class. People in their 30's and 40's regularly attend middle and high school reunions; most of the time annually. Kona was asking about Middle School reunions there. If you grew up in the West, this is hard to imagine. But in Japan, the friend you've made when you're 13 will usually remain your friend for the rest of your friggin life, whether you like it or not. About Golden Week... I think it's a required knowledge for gaijin otakus now. It's a great stretch of time, and a lot of people visit foreign countries. In the place I used to live, we have to prepare for Golden Week since the influx of Japanese tourist will usually overwhelm everyone.

Decorations for Children's Day, originally Boy's Day.

MAIU!
When Misao said Ayano's cookies were "MAIU!" she meant it was more delicious than just "umai"). This is a popular slang word which originated in a foody variety show hosted by two fat comedians called "元祖!でぶや" (Ganso! Debuya). The shows' premise was these two fat guys looking for foods to make them fatter, and when they find it, they would say "MAIU!" to indicate how utterly delicious the food was. It's now a popular catch phrase used by teenage girls alike.

When the Debuya Boys visited Akiba maido cafes...MAIU! (It's printed in that yellow circle on the screen)

Final Warning! Beat Takeshi's SCARY diseases!
When Kona-jiji's little lolicon family was eating dinner and watching TV together, the TV show they were watching was one of the highest rated show in Japan called "最終警告! たけしの本当は怖い家庭の医学" (Final Warning! Takeshi's Really Scary Family Medical Knowledge). Hosted by the world-famous Beat Takeshi, the show basically features a disease a week and it's supposed to be scary you into a healthier life style. The show is watched weekly by millions of middle age and older adults. It's sometimes funny and sometimes disgusting. They even have segments where they ACT OUT the horror stories of people such as the poor smoker who didn't know he has lung cancer until he started to COUGH BLOOD! ARG!!! It's pretty interesting but I can never get into it. Maybe when I'm older.

Beat-sama's gonna scare you into good health!

Hell Girl's English Serifu
Alright most of you have gotten the English phrase the elder Hiiragi sisters tried to translate is one of Jikoku Shoujo's standard lines, so I'm just going to cut and paste the English and the Japanese here:

Quote:
Curses, like chickens, come home to roost,
人を呪わば穴二つ

when you make the contract,
あなたが契約を結んだ時

you will absolutely go to hell, too.
あなたも必ず地獄へと流される。

Bird Rests
Just in case you don't know what a 鳥居 (Torii) looks like, it's this gate thing in front of every Shinto shrine

Body-carrying bird rests here!

ENKA!!!
AKIRA-sama sang a beautiful traditional pop song of Japan in a style called 演歌 (Enka, or "Performance Songs"). There's a lot of history behind Enka, tracing its root from the middle 1800's. It's now a declining art form; enjoyed only by people older than 40 years of age. Many people think Enka's going to die, but I don't think so. Here's the reason - if you're even in Karaoke with your boss, and you're over 30 years old, you should only order and sing Enka to entertain your boss. It's a mature person's music; if you start to sing J-POP songs, you can kiss that promotion good bye as you're seen as immature. If you start to sing otaku songs, you'll probably get fired.

I personally enjoy Enka a lot, maybe because I am getting older. Enka is THE original Asian pop music and I'm so glad it's still around today, although the only time you'll get to see it live is probably on New Year's Kohaku singing competition special. Enka, with the help of Akira and Shiraishi, will live forever. In a few week, a miracle will happen in Japan, as an Enka single will reach top 5 of the Oricon chart. Everyone will be stunned and major newsmedia will put be talking about it. Let's just wait and behold the spectacle.

As I have said before, Akira's got MAD enka skillz. Enka is all about the facial expression when you sing.. most Enka songs are sad songs about lost love or the cheating man, and you're not really singing unless you can emote the pain through your voice, your face, and your hand gestures. A very difficult part of Enka is how you vibrate your voice through your abs when you hit the trailing notes or the all important Zabi (climax). In fact the word Zabi came from Enka. Many of these aspects were animated on Akira. The ED from Hiromi-chan was especially good because it was a really well made Enka Karaoke... with the beautiful scenery, the singer in impeccable long sleeve kimono (formal, mature woman) and looked as serious as hell... only thing missing is the falling sakura. (actually they ALL looked like this). Listen to this song carefully... see how Hiromi's trying to vibrate her voice deeply during the Zabi, but Akira-sama came out instead. It's so friggin awesome I'm actually in tears.

Here's a REAL Enka MV by the probably the most senior and famous of all female Enka singer, Misora Hibari. Compare her to Hiromi-chan; if she wants to copy anyone this is it:

Bonus: The last thing Kyon said before she show ended was "Jan Ken Po", which is the paper-rock-scissor game to us gaijin, and according to bayaob, it was a reference to the end of Sazae-san anime.

ADDEDUM: I missed what Kyon ordered in the LittlePSX cafe: He ordered 3 things:

うな重 (Unagi-Jou): Broiled eel over rice. Excellent dish:

エビピラフ (Ebi-Pilafu): Shrimp Pilaf; not found outside of Japan:

ミートスパ (Meeto-Supa): Meat Spaghetti. No, this is NOT the spaghetti you know and love:

It takes 15 minutes to make a MeetoSupa? What kind of cafe is this? But they actually have Unagi-Jou? Probably never had them in the first place.. Unagi-Jou is notoriously hard to make, and only specialty-places can do them well.

===
Waa! That was totally tripping! I love doing this!

Question: should I do one for otaku references? I was hesitant because there are so many people here with more knowledge than I do, and I may sound like an idiot. How about a simple translation? J-otaku has figured out every single reference they can find in L*S. Would that be helpful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
GOD!!! I saw the subs on Alert402...

Spoiler for Akira age:
Eh, well,
Spoiler for Akira's Big Secret!:

Last edited by AVPlaya; 2007-08-01 at 18:17.
Old 2007-07-28, 02:47   Link #126
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Awesome, awesome post. I forgot to sign my name, BTW... but you probably already knew who +repped you (sorry, got a little excited).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Spoiler for Hidden until Sub's release:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Ah, today I took a look at syllabi for classes I'd like to take in Japan, and one of them is a pop culture class that will also cover Enka. I look forward to it.
Old 2007-07-28, 02:53   Link #127
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Awesome, awesome post. I forgot to sign my name, BTW... but you probably already knew who +repped you (sorry, got a little excited).
Domo! Although I'm not sure how this system works...

Quote:
Spoiler:
Oh, more than drama...he's more like a movie super-star. Beat Takeshi is world-renowned. He's the tough-guy hero to many actors of today, both East and West. Read his bio; Beat-sama can do ANYTHING.
Old 2007-07-28, 03:19   Link #128
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Aaaah, it was Battle Royale. Thanks for the linky.
Old 2007-07-28, 03:55   Link #129
bayoab

Quote:
Very long post! Will unhide after sub's released.

Spoiler for Hidden until Sub's release, cut to bonus:
Actually...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-28, 04:03   Link #130
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Actually...
Spoiler:
Spoiler for haha:
Old 2007-07-28, 11:22   Link #131
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Keep this notes coming AVPlaya; if there is a mistake, I'm sure those in the know could clarify it for us.

The posts might be long, but I find them interesting.
Old 2007-07-28, 12:13   Link #132
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo_N View Post
Keep this notes coming AVPlaya; if there is a mistake, I'm sure those in the know could clarify it for us.

The posts might be long, but I find them interesting.
And don't forget to cross-post them into the cultural references thread!

Old 2007-07-28, 14:10   Link #133
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Wow, that's incredibly helpful. Thanks AVPlaya!
Old 2007-07-28, 15:53   Link #134
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
a.f.k. has released for those interested.

Old 2007-07-28, 16:18   Link #135
Luminisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_passerby View Post
a.f.k. has released for those interested.
Most of us spoiled ourselves rotten already, but thanks for the update.

Old 2007-07-28, 17:46   Link #136
pariah164
Stand By, Ready, Set Up

Send a message via AIM to pariah164 Send a message via MSN to pariah164 Send a message via Yahoo to pariah164
Utter win, and officially my favorite episode.

That is all.
Old 2007-07-28, 19:29   Link #137
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

I laughed so hard when the character resembling mikuru said "classified information".
Old 2007-07-28, 19:59   Link #138
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

At last we see Konata at work!

It was weird hearing her doing the Haruhi voice.

Nice preview by Nagato and Kyon.

I liked the conversation at the beginning of the ep.
Old 2007-07-28, 22:31   Link #139
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Quote:
Domo! Although I'm not sure how this system works...
Oh. I think you're going to get a lot of rep for a fine post like that. Just in case you don't know, click on "User CP" on the top menu. You'll see the last five times you were repped and the comments people left when they repped you.

Great post. Thank you.
Old 2007-07-28, 22:44   Link #140
Calawain
Gaijin

This episode was great, one of the best so far in LS.

First off I really liked the greater screen time for the supporting cast, Patricia Martin and Yu-chan especially (although Yu-chan's part in this episode was shorter than others).

The cosplay scene made me laugh out loud several times, I am an avid Haruhi fan and they did such a spot-on job there. As has been mentioned by others, Aya Hirano's switching between Haruhi and Kona-chan was great, as well as the Hare Hare dance scene. But to me Kagami stole the show there with first her expressions in reaction to the people and the dance and then her smile when she saw how much Kona-chan enjoyed herself at work.

And thanks again to AVPlaya for the references, my knowledge of Japanese culture doesn't go beyond what I've seen in anime and general American knowledge, so I find that stuff interesting for the second watch. They are kind of like the AD Vidnotes, or whatever they are called, from Excel Saga--where notes about the cultural references pop-up so you can pause and read what it's all about. As a student of politics and culture that stuff really interests me.

I know there are a few otaku references in there that I did not pick-up, just from show experience. I think it would be great if someone would post any of the ones they saw, aside from the obvious ones like To Heart.

As for the long-winded debate back and forth about Haruhi references, I wont write an essay but I'll throw in my two cents. I think it is appropriate to have significant Haruhi cross-references in a comedy/parody. It does not seem out of place at all that Kona-chan would love Haruhi, and yes from a production standpoint its a lot easier to reference things you made yourself. Now would I want rampant cross-overs in a show like Clannad? No I don't think it would be appropriate there.
Closed Thread