AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-02-19, 14:29   Link #21
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

While I highly doubt it being $900, I trust Merril Lynch, to a considerable degree, so I take their report as noted.

This might explain the software developers displeasure in wondering where a beta of the PS3 is....there was that one Sony America employee who got fired mentioning about the PS3....
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 14:52   Link #22
deathbygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabazza
Someone knows if PS2 Games are playable on the PS3?
Yes, I believe the PS3 will be backwards compatable with PS2 games (and even PS1, if I recall correctly).
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 21:24   Link #23
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Shiro Amada
arias, can you please not quote every single line of what someone says? It just takes up room unnecessarily, making it hard to take anything you have to say seriously.
You must be kidding if I care if you take me seriously.

And if you rely on neat quotations to take a person's point seriously, regardless of the integrity of the point itself, ha.

I don't bother editing quotes when the person's point is essentially moot. Nor do I think that everyone on the internet should practice quote snipping, because sometimes context is abused.

On topic, you are right about friendly pricing. Regardless, the PS3 is headed for some production troubles, I think. It'll be a hard way for Sony to pave ahead, but the victories promised will be delicious, since the propagation of the PS3 will benefit them both as a console seller, and for the Blu-Ray format. Not to forget the Cell-chip.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-20, 16:47   Link #24
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
I am still planning on getting one, i just hope it is $700 maximum.
You would buy it at that price? Nuts...
Quote:
Someone knows if PS2 Games are playable on the PS3?
I'm surprised that barely anyone knows that they are.
Quote:
I don't bother editing quotes when the person's point is essentially moot.
Then address the person instead of quoting a big post and waste screen and post space.
Quote:
Nor do I think that everyone on the internet should practice quote snipping, because sometimes context is abused.
Which is why everyone can always refer to the full post, or snip more intelligently.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 05:18   Link #25
msamelia

$900 is way too much....

i'll buy if it's $400 - 500 !
msamelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-05, 11:03   Link #26
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
Then address the person instead of quoting a big post and waste screen and post space.
I hardly think you have remotely any standing to dispense any sort of advice to me. Nor does your comment seem any worthy.

With regards to the topic, I do suggest that people read the reports AND comments on Slashdot regarding the PS3 pricing. This is because most of the techies on /. seem to know abit more than any of us here.. including how prices on the market seem to be. From most of the educated estimates there, the Lynch and other analyst prices are way over-inflated, if only because they fail to take into greater account the fact that Sony produces their own hardware. Microsoft does not -- they buy parts from vendors for their X360.

To some extent the PS3 release date is still extremely speculative.. I think it will almost definitely be released this year. But whether it can make it for Spring 2006 is a different matter entirely, and we haven't heard any news from Sony either.
Old 2006-03-05, 14:59   Link #27
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
With regards to the topic, I do suggest that people read the reports AND comments on Slashdot regarding the PS3 pricing. This is because most of the techies on /. seem to know abit more than any of us here.. including how prices on the market seem to be.
Hahah, what? I read /. regularly and their speculations essentially mirror exactly what's been said here. The difference is that here nobody's talking about manufacturing costs and plans for the Cell processor and Bluray. Mind you, none of that really matters, because all of the talk of pricing for those technologies are pure speculation, too.

The hardware will be expensive when it comes out, but SONY is a company and they have a very good feel for what price ranges will draw people in. The PS3 will probably be the most expensive of the three consoles, but I doubt it'd differ by more than 50% from the Xbox 360's price. That's purely from a marketing standpoint. As people have already mentioned, the companies are willing to take an initial hit on the hardware because they get the licensing fees later, and that's where the big money is. The game developers generally follow the customer base; make your stuff inaccessible to the customers, and you lose the developers. It's pretty basic, and if Sony doesn't know this, then they deserve to be dropped from the market.
Old 2006-03-06, 03:06   Link #28
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Hahah, what? I read /. regularly and their speculations essentially mirror exactly what's been said here. The difference is that here nobody's talking about manufacturing costs and plans for the Cell processor and Bluray. Mind you, none of that really matters, because all of the talk of pricing for those technologies are pure speculation, too.
No, actually some of the /.ers do refer to SOLID evidence; like the pricing of Cell-processor chips by IBM (who are utilizing it for their line of servers). Of course, they infer that because Sony does their own in-house production of hardware, they will incur very little extra costs. Also remember that Sony is releasing a standalone Blu-Ray player in May (I think, I am groggy now) and also (I think) have released the pricings for these products.

And actually, I think Sony can be abit too over-ambitious at times. They've shot themselves in the foot over the Betamax, and also Minidisc players among many others. They've also lost their dominance in the electronics market, where they used to dominate in TV (which now I think, is led by Samsung) and portable music players (which they shot themselves in the foot by insisting on utilizing ATRAC).
Old 2006-03-06, 11:47   Link #29
Zephiel

nintendo rev i hope is cheap, not like ps3....900$ is to much
Zephiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-06, 14:27   Link #30
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
I hardly think you have remotely any standing to dispense any sort of advice to me. Nor does your comment seem any worthy.
You're just being stubborn.
Quote:
The hardware will be expensive when it comes out, but SONY is a company and they have a very good feel for what price ranges will draw people in. The PS3 will probably be the most expensive of the three consoles, but I doubt it'd differ by more than 50% from the Xbox 360's price.
Yeah, right. You should have seen how expensive the PS2 was at lauch. But the fanboys still bought it, taking the rest along with them in the end.
Old 2006-03-06, 15:58   Link #31
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit
You're just being stubborn.
I would appreciate it if you stopped being a moron by making personal attacks. Or would you like to make the thread descend into a flame war? If you want to continue, I suggest you PM me. If not, shut up.

Quote:
Yeah, right. You should have seen how expensive the PS2 was at lauch. But the fanboys still bought it, taking the rest along with them in the end.
It was more complicated than that. Many people actually bought the PS2 because it was as cheap as a DVD player (which were expensive at the time) and also had the added on function of playing games. So they bought it. From what I know, reading on techie sites, this HAS been a pull for the techies.

I wouldn't just dismiss it as "fanboyism" that buoyed the PS2 despite its price. Sony build an extremely solid track record with the original PS, and the PS2 is arguably an even bigger success than the original PS. So yes, I think many consumers would have some degree of faith in the PS3. Personally, I think they may have taken on too much with the Cell, and the Blu-Ray.
Old 2006-03-06, 16:08   Link #32
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Hey hey hey, douse the fire kids.

I find it very believeable that a gaming system would be actually worth $900 and sold for much less, sincem as previously stated, the true money is made off of games for the system.
Old 2006-03-07, 20:15   Link #33
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
I would appreciate it if you stopped being a moron by making personal attacks.
What you quoted might have been a personal attack, but then it would be the first one.
Quote:
Many people actually bought the PS2 because it was as cheap as a DVD player (which were expensive at the time)
In Japan. When it came out in the rest of the world, not so much. That's not even taking into account that its DVD-playing feature was sucky.
Old 2006-03-14, 08:33   Link #34
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

anything over 400$ and sony is going to be shooting themselves in the foot.

remeber how much sega saturn cost when it first came out? and it did not do well.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote