AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-11-08, 10:07   Link #1161
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasaru View Post
Thanks a lot for your advice Peanutbutter! I'll hold on to the dora longer. Reguarding my random pons and chi's, I usually do that just to get into tenpai in the end. Should I not try to get into tenpai if my hand is messed up? What do you think about that subject?
Pon and chi to get into tenpai can be a good move, only if you are close to iishanten or even tenpai after that. Otherwise, you'll just decrease the number of tiles you have, which may make it harder to defend should someone choose to riichi. It's all about situational awareness, and I can't stress that enough.

About order of discards, it's a rule of thumb as to the tiles you should slowly discard, while building up your hand. 3 and 7 are the last cause in a way, they are the most flexible numbered tiles. Anything from 1-5 can be paired up with 3 and 5-9 can be paired up with 7.

I just sneak a peak at your first winning game and honestly, some of your discards are rather poor decisions made. But I'm sleepy and won't go too much into it. Luck stills play an important part in mahjong.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 11:34   Link #1162
Nofear3838
Hainiryuun

Just something I noticed, but you do seem to hold on to a lot of useless tiles. For instance, in the first game, in the first south round, you kept a haku you drew, despite the other 3 already being discarded.
Nofear3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 09:15   Link #1163
Dasaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofear3838 View Post
Just something I noticed, but you do seem to hold on to a lot of useless tiles. For instance, in the first game, in the first south round, you kept a haku you drew, despite the other 3 already being discarded.
True. I think this is my biggest weakness. Trying to understand which tiles are not needed at what times. But then again, isn't that what makes the difference between a pro and a newbie? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Pon and chi to get into tenpai can be a good move, only if you are close to iishanten or even tenpai after that. Otherwise, you'll just decrease the number of tiles you have, which may make it harder to defend should someone choose to riichi. It's all about situational awareness, and I can't stress that enough.

About order of discards, it's a rule of thumb as to the tiles you should slowly discard, while building up your hand. 3 and 7 are the last cause in a way, they are the most flexible numbered tiles. Anything from 1-5 can be paired up with 3 and 5-9 can be paired up with 7.

I just sneak a peak at your first winning game and honestly, some of your discards are rather poor decisions made. But I'm sleepy and won't go too much into it. Luck stills play an important part in mahjong.
Ahh thank you again for clearing that up. You make a lot of sense! I did sense that I got really lucky those games. I tried my best not to mess up good starting hands like I have in the past.
Dasaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-09, 09:40   Link #1164
Dasaru

Here is the game that I just played while applying the skills you guys have given me. I think I did a lot better in my decision making.

But I got that indecisive feeling at East 3. I didn't know which ones to discard in that situation. When I have two edge melds and I want/need to break one up. I dunno, what do you think?

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2010110923g...-105ff605&tw=2
Old 2010-11-09, 09:58   Link #1165
Nofear3838
Hainiryuun

Quote:
Here is the game that I just played while applying the skills you guys have given me. I think I did a lot better in my decision making.

But I got that indecisive feeling at East 3. I didn't know which ones to discard in that situation. When I have two edge melds and I want/need to break one up. I dunno, what do you think?

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2010110923g...-105ff605&tw=2
Only really two things I saw that you did that I would have done different:

2nd East, 1st renchan: When you drew that 9-sou and discarded the 3-sou, just because what happened to you seems to happen a lot to me. If I did discard the 9-sou, though, I probably would have thrown out the 8-sou that I drew, because if I get into tenpai, I will likely be furiten.

3rd East: Considering that you were East, and your starting hand wasn't the best, I would have gone for something quick here, for the renchan. I don't quite understand why you threw out the 9-sou and 8-sou, as it got you farther from tenpai. Keeping the 1-man doesn't make much sense to me, since your already waiting for a 3-man with the 2-4.
Old 2010-11-09, 10:28   Link #1166
Nofear3838
Hainiryuun

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2010111000g...0895ef8e0&tw=1

As much as I wanted the Yakuman, I couldn't pass up a dealer haneman.
Old 2010-11-09, 17:54   Link #1167
Peanutbutter

To Dasaru: I would suggest you "watch" some of the Phoenix games, to learn how to play better.

Watch how those people discard tiles and slowly build up their hand. Think about every decision they make, slowly translate it into your own game and you should be better.

Can you read and understand Chinese? I can share the blog of a Tenhou 8th-Dan player, whom I learned a lot from reading there as well.
Old 2010-11-10, 01:01   Link #1168
Dasaru

Quote:
To Dasaru: I would suggest you "watch" some of the Phoenix games, to learn how to play better.

Watch how those people discard tiles and slowly build up their hand. Think about every decision they make, slowly translate it into your own game and you should be better.

Can you read and understand Chinese? I can share the blog of a Tenhou 8th-Dan player, whom I learned a lot from reading there as well.
What are the Pheonix games? And, no, I can't read/write chinese unfortunately. Maybe I could find an online translator and translate it. Could you link the blog?
Old 2010-11-10, 08:26   Link #1169
Peanutbutter

Quote:
What are the Pheonix games? And, no, I can't read/write chinese unfortunately. Maybe I could find an online translator and translate it. Could you link the blog?
Here's what I mean about watching the Phoenix games:

http://arcturus.su/tenhou/watch.html

And this is the blog. Take note you may have difficulties even in doing translation cause there's a lot of mahjong terms.
Old 2010-11-11, 17:52   Link #1170
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

You forgot to include the blog link pb3.

I'd like to read on what the 8 Dan players have to think...what strikes me about their games isn't really their gameplay, but how they can take advantage of Flow. Second or third turn Riichi, and consistently? Not even Temple Pro difficulty on BVS can produce that scenario so quickly, and those characters have a 2-draw advantage (meaning, they draw three tiles each turn, and put two back at the end before the dead wall).
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-12, 00:50   Link #1171
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
You forgot to include the blog link pb3.
Guess I forgot:

http://blog.jpmahjong.net/

Old 2010-11-13, 08:07   Link #1172
Arkenryu
IRPO Patrolman

http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2010111321g...c48b7a7cf&tw=0

Pretty much all the games I play seem to end up like this.
Arkenryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-13, 10:13   Link #1173
Dasaru

Is it just me, or does google translator do an excellent job at translating the mahjong blog??

Take a look:
http://translate.google.com/translat...mahjong.net%2F

I think this is good enough to be worth reading!
Old 2010-11-18, 08:28   Link #1174
Dasaru

WOOO!! I'm now a 2 kyuu!

I feel my power level rising!
Old 2010-11-22, 05:15   Link #1175
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
WOOO!! I'm now a 2 kyuu!

I feel my power level rising!
Two of me?! XD
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 09:58   Link #1176
Peanutbutter

Having a very tough time as always, in the upperdan room. Everyone's playing like Haramura Nodoka or Takei Hisa. One wrong move, and they'll sit on you like a rabbit...

At one point in time, I was down to 40 pts, from the initial 1,000 points. After some picking up, I'm slowly back to 600+ and going down back and forth.

Also, my goddamned luck that brought me to this level seems to have abandoned me. Once again, it's frustrating when you open your tiles and you have at least 4/5 out of the 8 winds/dragons and the rest are so separated apart.

Why doesn't Tenhou have 十三不搭。。。? I'll be winning like crazy. Okay, rant finished.
Old 2010-11-22, 20:59   Link #1177
merchant

Quote:
Having a very tough time as always, in the upperdan room. Everyone's playing like Haramura Nodoka or Takei Hisa. One wrong move, and they'll sit on you like a rabbit...

At one point in time, I was down to 40 pts, from the initial 1,000 points. After some picking up, I'm slowly back to 600+ and going down back and forth.

Also, my goddamned luck that brought me to this level seems to have abandoned me. Once again, it's frustrating when you open your tiles and you have at least 4/5 out of the 8 winds/dragons and the rest are so separated apart.
It has been stressed before the difficulty spikes at 5 dan, at least for a regular player. This is how Tenhou makes extra change. You want to compete against those higher level than you, you gotta pay up otherwise you need some rogue luck to make it to 6 dan and higher. You still need to play well though even if you paid.

Just recently, I think it occurred when they launched the beta test rooms, they made getting to 10 dan easier. I noticed more players getting to 9 and 10 dan respectively. One particular jp player from a blog was pissed off and finally noticed this trend.

I think the next thing Tsuno is trying to implement is to make more extra change from the new rooms to hopefully encourage players to keep playing and supporting Tenhou.
merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-22, 21:10   Link #1178
Peanutbutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant View Post
One particular jp player from a blog was pissed off and finally noticed this trend.
Where do you get that info? I like to know.

And yeah, after 2 different accounts and experiences, I kinda accepted that those who paid up have more luck than others and those who dun are cannon fodder for them. True randomness in mahjong shouldn't be programmable.

I guess I can't break out of this after all. But yet, I just keep coming back for more. Maybe I'm an "M" internally.

(Maybe I should get a Paypal account.)
Old 2010-11-25, 01:04   Link #1179
Dasaru

YEA BABY!

I also average +1.00 points per game ^^
Old 2010-11-26, 18:01   Link #1180
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I'm not sure I follow the discussion about payment. pb03's playing in the 4 Dan+ room, am I right? I thought only Phoenix required payment, unless there's been some change in policy since Phoenix was implemented.

Since I'm rather inactive on Tenhou, I think I should post how I'm doing on BVS. As of this writing, I'm Level 44 out of what I believe is a maximum of 111. What you see here has roughly been eight month's worth of work, so the majority of the grind is still to come.

Games are expensive to buy, and since the cap raises for each level, it's very tough to keep improving. From where I am now, it would take four consecutive wins to get to Level 45, and with how this game is, that's never a guarantee.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong