AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-09-04, 08:03   Link #41
Asai
Nya? ^_^
*Fansubber

A little late, since I haven't been online much lately, but I just wanted to mention...

C1 released the first episode of Nodame Cantabile in under 24 hours of getting the raw. I personally think the quality was fine (not that I've watched any other groups' releases, and I'm biased because I was a QC) however, it was an abnormally quick turnaround. Especially considering it stalled entirely mid-way through.

Just so happened everyone was around and available at the right time, so everything got done promptly. Unfortunately most things take days, even on a decent schedule. Then there's cases where they stall for weeks... and months... But I won't go there, because I'm a part of that problem on some current projects. Life's a bitch.
Asai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 09:40   Link #42
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Seems like Anonymous now approves of the term "zero-presence".
Old 2007-10-07, 09:53   Link #43
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

I want to thank Anonymous for subbing Gundam 00 in H.264/AAC/MP4. When this gets downloaded I think I'll check it out on that DVD player I bought some months back now I have a new sound system

I wish I knew who Anonymous is, I'm intrigued. I just wish there was some tag to identify the files (perhaps [Anon] or [ZPF]?)

Sidenote: Haha, so much for me getting back into subbing for the new Gundam series. It's over, encoding is finished.
Old 2007-10-07, 11:11   Link #44
Starks
*Scanlator

ZPF is a great alternative to the license-fearing egocentric groups of today.

BTW, in answer to your question about "Who is Anonymous?"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFjU8bZR19A
Old 2007-10-07, 12:01   Link #45
Slice of Life
eyewitness

People who explictly declare their scripts to be public domain are my heroes. I know that this is only a symbolic gesture when it comes to things that weren't your own in the first place but still ...
Old 2007-10-07, 12:19   Link #46
Starks
*Scanlator

ZPF is a great example to follow and the big groups know it.

I can easily see Vincent and the rest of Shinsen unable to compete with Anonymous and ZPF by Spring 2008.
Old 2007-10-07, 19:56   Link #47
PEDOS_GRANDE
MHD != HD

unfortunately, "Presence" ain't the only thing there's ZERO of in these subs, usually.
PEDOS_GRANDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 19:58   Link #48
myopius

The ideals involved in anonymous zero-presence fansubbing can be considered admirable, but is it good for the community, and fansubbing itself which depends on that community, to have fansubbers disconnecting themselves from the rest of the community just to avoid ego / hassle?

I think right now we're at the point where there are so relatively few people subbing like that, that it doesn't have any kind of effect of the community, be that effect the spread of the ideal or a lessening of the rate of growth of the community.
Old 2007-10-07, 21:21   Link #49
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by myopius View Post
The ideals involved in anonymous zero-presence fansubbing can be considered admirable, but is it good for the community, and fansubbing itself which depends on that community, to have fansubbers disconnecting themselves from the rest of the community just to avoid ego / hassle?
It doesn't really matter. If they are self-sufficient, they don't need any substantive contact to do their job, nor do they depend on the rest of the 'community' for anything at all. Today, even distro is a non-issue.

And while many assume it is to 'avoid ego / hassle', that's based on own analysis. It could be some completely different reason, honestly you are only taking a guess as to what it is. It could be someone who seriously doesn't want to get 'outed' (ie. an executive at ADV), it could be some kind of 'secret' plan of the japanese producers to try to create or widen the market in the US, it could be someone who has disdain for or is forbidden to interact with others online (court order / past criminal offenses), simple paranoia or someone who feels it's wrong and is afraid of being caught, or has already been caught and would suffer seriously if caught again, or an experiment, someone in a group that demands exclusive membership and couldn't get the group to do their pet project, etc. Who knows what the real reason is.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-07, 22:18   Link #50
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

that point is mute, though. all you have to do is not have your own website/tracker, also try not to make any of your ISP's publicly known.

putting the word 'anonymous' in your name doesnt automatically make you 'anonymous'
half of the silly groups popping up put their credits right after that
timed by: this guy
typesetted by: so and so
etc.
I've thought about releasing a few shows anonymously, but I decided if i have to hide my name because of fear of being sued for piracy, then maybe I shouldnt be working on this show. most groups already steer clear of MFI since that company has made it clear they are offended. So working on one of their projects anonymously is only fooling your own integrity. now someone go work on an MFI project since almost all of their shows are on my must watch list
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 00:13   Link #51
outlaw97

I'll have to admit, one side benefit of anonymous subbing is the releasing of the subtitle file, most of the time before a fully encoded copy is available. This way, in the time it takes you to download the raw, you'll have the .ASS or .SRT file ready as well. It isn't that hard to use it either - in most cases if your raw is an AVI you simply make sure the filenames match.

I realize this may come off as sounding like "OMG IMPATIENT FANBOY", but to me it's more about the core of fansubbing - to be able to watch a show with translations. This is fairly common with J-dramas, so I'm surprised it's only now starting to emerge on the anime side. The typesetting, encoding, and other visual frills are to me just something people use to benchmark one group versus another (well, besides the obvious translation quality). So if you're going to release it anonymously, eliminate the things that would cause different groups to form in the first place.

Now I know some encoders are going to jump down my throat, with how they can turn shitty raws into pristine quality etc. Which is why I'm not going to say that if you're going to do anonymous subbing, to ONLY release the subtitle file. But coming from someone who read translations off a paper while simultaneously watching a VHS tape, getting the translation right is first and foremost - everything else is just details.
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 00:26   Link #52
Starks
*Scanlator

You can also do the filename trick with mkv raws.
Old 2007-10-08, 01:47   Link #53
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks View Post
ZPF is a great example to follow and the big groups know it.

I can easily see Vincent and the rest of Shinsen unable to compete with Anonymous and ZPF by Spring 2008.
Compete? Why is this suddenly a competition? Why should anyone even care about some impatient idiots on an image board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97 View Post
This is fairly common with J-dramas, so I'm surprised it's only now starting to emerge on the anime side.
There is one major difference here: File size. With J-drama, downloading a raw alone is easily 600mb of download and it compresses worse (175mb? HAH). Therefore, a raw and a subtitle file is much easier to distribute and looks much better.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 09:13   Link #54
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Compete? Why is this suddenly a competition? Why should anyone even care about some impatient idiots on an image board?
Funny, he mentions this thing as being good because of lack of e-peen and stuff and then goes on to say that Shinsen won't be able to compete. Contractions for the WIN.

It doesn't matter if there are credits on the file or an IRC channel. All that matters is if the release is of good quality, and so far, anon is not doing so well on that front. If you're into speedsubs, go ahead and watch anon, but otherwise....
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 11:08   Link #55
Starks
*Scanlator

Anonymous doesn't compete. Big groups do.
Old 2007-10-08, 14:07   Link #56
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Anonymous is the least competitive, so they win.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 18:55   Link #57
zerron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1 View Post
I want to thank Anonymous for subbing Gundam 00 in H.264/AAC/MP4. When this gets downloaded I think I'll check it out on that DVD player I bought some months back now I have a new sound system

I wish I knew who Anonymous is, I'm intrigued. I just wish there was some tag to identify the files (perhaps [Anon] or [ZPF]?)

Sidenote: Haha, so much for me getting back into subbing for the new Gundam series. It's over, encoding is finished.
I also want to thank them, great job
zerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 20:33   Link #58
Kirarakim

I don't know if Anonymous is one group or different groups just using the tag anonymous (I am guessing the latter based on the number and different types of series anonymous subs) but all I can say is I love anonymous. Thank you for subbing series that other groups have fallen way behind on. I really appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

I understand other groups take longer because their releases are of higher quality but in my case I care more about watching the show than the quality (I only care about quality when it comes to DVD releases).

That doesn't mean I want bad translations and curse words added in just because they sound cool to the subbers but so far I have not noticed this type of subbing from anon subbers at all. In fact the subs I have downloaded usually turn out pretty good.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 20:41   Link #59
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

It's kinda bad though. It's hard to get feedback from viewers so the subs can be better.
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-08, 20:43   Link #60
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

sadly, most of the feedback from viewers are when they are whining, so your not getting any points for that one
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote