Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-22, 02:49   Link #1
<xellos>
As a WHM I help people

Kaitou

what is it with animes that have thieves in them, sending a notice in advance before they steal the item? im not sure how many different animes have this, so far i only know of three, but was this a common thing at some point? or do the animes have the same creators? the three i know of are:

D.N. Angel - Kaitou Dark
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne - Kaitou Jeanne and
Fullmetal Alchemist - Psiren

is there some strange connection here? or am i just going mad?
Old 2004-03-22, 02:55   Link #2
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by <xellos>
what is it with animes that have thieves in them, sending a notice in advance before they steal the item? im not sure how many different animes have this, so far i only know of three, but was this a common thing at some point? or do the animes have the same creators? the three i know of are:

D.N. Angel - Kaitou Dark

You're just going mad.
While I don't think there's a connection, the reason is the same for each. Basicly the thief is saying "I'm so good, you can't stop me even if I tell you what I'm going to steal, and tell you the time."
Old 2004-03-22, 03:04   Link #3
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by <xellos>

D.N. Angel - Kaitou Dark

Because it all stems from the anime/manga Lupin III.

Which in turn, comes from an early 20th century novel created by French mystery novelist, Maurice Leblanc. The stories feature a famous thief by the name of Arsène Lupin, who would give advance notices to steal something. Some of my favorite stories are: "Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Burglar" and "Arsene Lupin vs. Sherlock Holmes."

Now going back to "Lupin III," this was originally a manga made by Monkey Punch in the mid 1960s. It featured a character who was supposedly the grandson of Arsène Lupin. And in following in the footsteps of his grandfather, Lupin III would also send out advance notices to steal treasures.

By the late 1960s, "Lupin III" was very popular as it became an anime series which were created by some of the most famed directors alive today - Takahata Isao (though he has passed away) and Miyazaki Hayao (no explanation needed here).

Lupin and his gang - Jigen Daisuke, Ishikawa Goemon, [to a certain extent] Mine Fujiko and the relentless pursuer - Police Detective Zenigata, were known all throughout Japan. Lupin III lasted for three seasons lasting from the late 1960s to the early 1980s. Its popularity in Japan is so great that TV specials and movies are released almost every year.

Such a famous anime has been seen by almost every Japanese who was born in the era spanning from 1965 to 1985. Current animators and manga artists are also about that age. When they think of a "cool, slick, and cunning" thief, the image of "Lupin III" is automatically visualized in their heads. Why? Because that is what they were watching/reading as kids.

A very good example would be Aoyama Gosho's remarks: "I modeled Kaitou Kid after that slick thief Arsène Lupin. Of course, I only knew about Arsène Lupin by watching Lupin III as a kid (laughs)"

And besides, what better is a thief who has pride and the absolute confidence to steal someone's treasure. What better than is to say "try your best to guard your treasure, because no matter what you do, I will steal it at that exact time!" It makes you cheer for the bad guy.
Old 2004-03-22, 03:13   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
*stuff about Lupin*
Ah, I forgot about Lupin, even though I just saw a Lupin movie last week.
That would explain the why all those series have that in common. Seems I was wrong about there being no connection...
Old 2004-03-22, 03:18   Link #5
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
kaitou Saint Tail (classic) still great series but rare in fansubs
Old 2004-03-22, 04:09   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

In a rather related question, I would like to know what the word "Kaitou" actually means in japanese. I usually see it translated as "phantom thief," but this doesn't really tell me anything useful.

For instance does this work actually refer specifically (and only) to a theif who leaves notices before he steals? Could this word be applied to any catburgler, or would the more common "dorobo" have to be applied to such a person? What is the actual difference that makes someone a kaitou.

This leads me to the related question: Did the word "Kaitou" exist before Lupin III and if it did, then what did it mean in those long gone days?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-22, 04:24   Link #7
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
In a rather related question, I would like to know what the word "Kaitou" actually means in japanese. I usually see it translated as "phantom thief," but this doesn't really tell me anything useful.

For instance does this work actually refer specifically (and only) to a theif who leaves notices before he steals? Could this word be applied to any catburgler, or would the more common "dorobo" have to be applied to such a person? What is the actual difference that makes someone a kaitou.

This leads me to the related question: Did the word "Kaitou" exist before Lupin III and if it did, then what did it mean in those long gone days?
怪盗 "kaitou":

怪 - strange, weird
盗 - steal

Hence, a "kaitou" is a "weird stealer."

Logically, a typical burglar would avoid being captured. But a thief who purposely notifies the proper authorites on his attempt to break-in is a "weird robber," isn't it? What kind of thief would want to risk his identity by alerting the police? Also, a robber wants to avoid as much attention as possible to risk being identified by witnesses. Logically, a thief would be sneaky and wear clothes that are indistinguishable. "Weird robbers" stereotypically dress rather flashy don't they?

Second question - yes. The Japanese title for LeBlanc's "Arsene Lupin Gentleman Thief" was called "Kaitou Arusenu Rupan." Why? Because Arsene Lupin was a "weird thief" who dresses elegantly, notifies in advance to the authorities on his attempt, and is a gentleman - all aspects you don't see from a normal thief. If it isn't a "normal thief" (dorobou) then it would be a "weird thief" (kaitou).

Last edited by kj1980; 2004-03-22 at 18:41.
Old 2004-03-22, 05:38   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Thank you very much! I've wondered about that for years.

Follow-up question: Did the word "Kaitou" exist before it was used in the title of the book "Kaitou Arusenu Rupan" or was that the first time that the word was created? If it did exist, do you know of an actual instance of a historical kaitou that it was applied to?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-03-22, 18:27   Link #9
LinChoiSin

kj that was a good explanation thanks .As for the original "Arsene Lupin"novels ,Arsene Lupin was far more than just a thief,i would love to see his adventures adapted in a new anime,they plan to do a movie about it but i fear it won't be as good as the novels.
Closed Thread