AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-09-08, 20:10   Link #1
Categorical_Imp

Unspecific and contradictory - My Request!

Greetings to every one of you!
Needless to say: I'm looking for suggestions for what to watch so this is what I'm looking for:

What I dislike:
-pure comedy Animes - I tried a few (especially romcoms) and ONLY liked them when they got serious. I just don't seem to find Animes funny (examples: Liked the serious parts of Clannad and Toradora!, the funny parts hardly)
-time jumps rip me out of my immersion (again: Clannad: After Story lost me after those many time jumps and made me depressed because it felt like their lives were fleeting away quite literally)
- Harems and stupid protagonists (I kinda have enough of characters that are pure tropes, losers who are woman magnets or children that blush when someone from the opposite sex approaches)

Just Animes I didn't like:
-Mirai Nikki (terrible characters, plot full of holes)
-most of Clannad and After Story (time jumps, empty side characters, bad jokes

What I like:
-the romantic and/or serious parts of romcoms like Toradora and Clannad
-the male delinquent or lazy person, without passion in life (as Tomoya from Clannad)
-nice animation and soundtrack of course (nice looking Animes Like Sword Art Online or Fate/Zero)
-great dialogue (as in Steins'gate, only Anime I laughed a lot and hearty. I even liked the first few episodes!)
-being surprised of course
-high school and fantasy settings (rather than SciFi, though I'm not opposed to that either)

Just Animes I liked:
-Sword Art Online (like female lead; could go on and on about why I think even in second half she is a good character but this is hardly the place ^^, other than that: animation and premise were good, cute romance)
-Steins;Gate (great characters, great dialogue)
-FMAB (nothing special but all around a nice shounen anime)
-Death Note (well it's Death Note, almost everyone likes that right?)

It doesn't matter which genre it is. If high school stuff or fantasy survival or what ever. Just needs good characters, dialogue and story.
Can be lighthearted like a good romcom (would love to see a good one) or grave.

Please give as few spoiler as possible! I usually don't even watch the openings to avoid them... As I said, I like to be surprised.
I feel terrible to make such a request. I must seem like a brat. But I'm really grateful for any help and look forward to help others with their requests!
Old 2013-09-08, 20:55   Link #2
jedinat

How about Hachimitsu to Clover... fairly serious (iirc) slice of life with romance and good dialogue. It's been forever since I watched it; I think it's time I revisit. It's one of the few anime I have 10/10 on anidb way back when.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-09, 22:59   Link #3
Categorical_Imp

Thanks a lot jedinat! I'll be sure to check it out once I have more free time on my hands and then I'll tell how I liked it!
Old 2013-09-11, 08:30   Link #4
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Bakemonogatari has a high school setting, has a lot of sharp dialogue, has a fair bit of romance, and has a lot of fantasy action. I think it probably comes the closest to matching everything you're looking for.

Now, for more specific things...

Romance - Kanon (made by the same companies behind Clannad)

Lazy male lead without passion in life - Hyouka

Like Sword Art Online - Accel World (wrote by the same guy that wrote SAO)
Old 2013-09-11, 08:46   Link #5
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Just to clarify, by "time jump", you mean "timeskip," right? Because the first thing I thought about when you mentioned "time jump" was the sci-fi time travel and time looping like in Steins;Gate, which I now assume you don't mind as long as it's not accompanied by long timeskips.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 09:40   Link #6
Kushi

Have you tried the recently aired Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru? It's about a lazy loner with no passion in a high school setting, with a lot of sharp dialogue, and a hint of romance.
Kushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 14:48   Link #7
Categorical_Imp

@jedinat Hachimitsu to Clover is indeed quite nice but not exactly my cup of tea. Too many time skips and one of the love stories is a bit too love-on-first-sightish (Besides Hagu is scaring me, she looks like a doll from a horror movie to me. ^^) But it has other qualities and I'm only at episode 7 so I'll keep watching it. Thanks again!

@Triple_R Already seen Kanon (was easy to find thanks to different anime sites that mention Air, Clannad, Kanon and some others always in the same breath) and Accel World. They were both fun to watch though a bit childish(AW) and haremish(Kanon) at times. But I really enjoyed them anyway! I will try out the other two when I have time. Thank you a lot!

@Tempester Oh, of course! Sorry for the confusion. I meant time skips. I blame my first language (German) for that mistake. ^^

@Kushi I certainly haven't! I'll watch it definitely soon! Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Categorical_Imp; 2013-09-11 at 15:01. Reason: forgot words
Categorical_Imp is offline   Reply With Quote