AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Which improvements would you like to see in the next Animesuki Choice Awards?
Like Version A "Minimalistic", but... (Answer below) 8 17.39%
Like Version B "Extended", but... (Answer below) 22 47.83%
Combine [Fantasy] with [Sci-Fi]? 7 15.22%
Combine [Romance] with [Drama]? 9 19.57%
Add an OP/ED soundtrack category? 30 65.22%
Add a [Setting] category? 12 26.09%
Separate [Visual/Animation] for [TV series]? 13 28.26%
Add a [Character Design] category? 11 23.91%
Remove [Worst Character]? 22 47.83%
Add a [Supporting Character] category? 25 54.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-10-01, 04:05   Link #21
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'll get round to responding to everone eventually. I just wanted to say:

I support the Status Quo. DX
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 06:04   Link #22
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The biggest issue that hasn't been addressed is the time period involved. We've used calendar years in the past, which has proven problematic when considering two-cour shows that premiere in the fall. Some have suggested starting with the fall and extending through the next summer, following the US model of a television year. I had a discussion about anime "seasons" over on ANN not long ago, and one contributor thought that it made more sense to follow the Japanese school year which begins in the spring. That would mean waiting until April to begin the "2011" Awards process. For this transition year, we'd need to include shows that were released over the 15-month period starting on 1/1/2011 and ending on 3/31/2012. After that we'd just run from April to April.
When I do my own end of the year poll I make a separate category for Best Show that is still ongoing (that started that year).

That would be a new category though and I don't know if people would like that, but that way the two-cour fall shows are not entirely left out.

And they could still be eligible for other categories in 2012 once they are finished. But in this case they should only be eligible for that one category now.

Anyways I just voted for add OP/ED and remove worst character category. I can't really decide between the minimalistic/extended version because I think there actually needs to something in the middle between the two.
Old 2011-10-01, 21:52   Link #23
Echoes

I fall somewhere between the extended and minimalistic, but I voted for the minimalistic option, which falls just a bit closer to what I prefer. I'm actually not too concerned with the actual number, just that every category is sensible.

I think fantasy and science fiction should be separate categories. Drama and romance too probably, but I'm not as sure about that one.

I'd support an OP/ED category. That would be awesome. They're something I really pay attention to and are an important part of the experience. I don't really see a need for any of the other suggested categories.

Removing the "worst character" would probably be a wise move, it seems pointless at best. The category could be seen as a little spiteful. (After all, not every year is blessed with a character like Makoto, whom everyone unanimously abhors.)

I am definitely in support of adding a supporting character category, show some love for the side characters. Heck, in a lot of series, they completely steal the show. (Or in some cases, they're the only thing redeeming in a series with the dime-a-dozen "fill in your own personality" male leads.)
Old 2011-10-02, 08:27   Link #24
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@Echoes: Well, we have QB for this year, though he is nowhere as bad as Makoto Itou.

Back to topic I think we shouldn't have any dubious award(s) anymore. As far as I know some characters has been nominated as worst for some small reasons like Ranka Lee and Nagisa Furukawa.
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 10:05   Link #25
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I don't even think QB qualifies for worst character. He is well written and should be instead having a shot at the best villain spot for 2011.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 12:34   Link #26
klare

i picked:
- Like Version B "Extended", but... (Answer below)
- Add an OP/ED soundtrack category?
Old 2011-10-02, 12:41   Link #27
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

I think Worst Character should be kept because there's atleast 1 character noone likes.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 20:03   Link #28
Dawnstorm

I support the stat... wait, I'm too new to have much experience with it.

I slightly prefer the extended version, but ultimately I don't much care. A couple of things that I do care about:

- I've always thought op/ed should be a category of its own, as the soundtrack is supposed to support the happenings, while the op/ed is supposed to be sort of iconic for the show. These different functions lead to op/ed being a lot more prominent. I've always been afraid that a good opening or ending can take over the soundtrack category, while what it really means to me - using music to good effect during the show - takes a backseat. I'd add insert songs to opening/ending (thinking of A-Channel for this year).

- I dislike the "worst character" category. Even if I have an obvious candidate to vote for, I won't. I guess I don't even like to embarrass fictional people. I'll normally play along, but not with this category. It's just not me.

- I'm sort of divided on the fanservice category: having both ecchi and moe in there makes me a biased voter. I rarely like ecchi, and I frequently like moe, so in a pinch my vote will always go to moe. No other category has such a split for me. Tying those categories together makes sense from a logical position, but I'm afraid it'll show up the fault-lines in the fandom more than it will be about good shows. Not sure, though. It might just be me.

- I'd love a setting category. There are shows that excell in nothing but setting (my prime example is Letter Bee). Similarly, a character design category (I'd have voted for Amagami SS in that category last time).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 20:41   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post

- I'm sort of divided on the fanservice category: having both ecchi and moe in there makes me a biased voter. I rarely like ecchi, and I frequently like moe, so in a pinch my vote will always go to moe. No other category has such a split for me. Tying those categories together makes sense from a logical position, but I'm afraid it'll show up the fault-lines in the fandom more than it will be about good shows. Not sure, though. It might just be me.
Totally agree with you on this. And like yourself, I'll be leaning more towards moe, making me a biased voter as well. Meanwhile, others will be leaning more towards ecchi. It will show real fault-lines in the anime fandom, as you wrote, and I'm not sure if pitting moe fans against ecchi fans is in Anime Suki's best interest.

Moe and ecchi are two very different things, just as different as K-On!! is from Kampfer (which is a pretty big difference, imo). There's some overlap between ecchi and moe, but honestly, there's plenty of moe shows with little to no ecchi in it.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-10-03 at 21:00.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 04:58   Link #30
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Spoiler for response:

Okay judging from the poll results so far and posts this is what I guessing the community might want for this year's choice awards:

Spoiler for space:

There's just one issue I'd like to resolve though. Due to the poll results I think it's safe to say OP/ED theme category is going to through. So what about Insert Songs in anime? Would they count as part of the BGM or would they count as similar to OP/ED themes?

Last edited by Haak; 2011-10-04 at 06:10. Reason: lol, nevermind.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 07:13   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Regarding the "allow only 2 categories per show" suggestion...

When you consider how most people in the past contests have said they like the awards because it helps them find shows they've missed, this whole artificial "fairness" isn't exactly helping that cause.

Also the categories this year will each have a description to help mitigate misinterpretation of the genre/category and nail down some basic requirements and guidelines, which will hopefully eliminate any (unintentional) misvotes or discord in the community over why certain shows got into X and Y and Z category.
Old 2011-12-14, 09:37   Link #32
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
I think Worst Character should be kept because there's atleast 1 character noone likes.
Well that's what everyone thought but at the end it turns out into shipping slaughter-fest just like Nagisa, Ranka and perhaps Kirino. I'm the one who agree to remove "worst character" category.

Back to topic I think I agree with "best op/ed" should be included next year. At least I can nominate Manyuu Hikenchou despite hating the show itself.
Old 2011-12-14, 09:47   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Well that's what everyone thought but at the end it turns out into shipping slaughter-fest just like Nagisa, Ranka and perhaps Kirino. I'm the one who agree to remove "worst character" category.

Back to topic I think I agree with "best op/ed" should be included next year. At least I can nominate Manyuu Hikenchou despite hating the show itself.
You shouldn't necro

There was no explicit timer set on the poll however since the thread entered obscurity we just took the results as final (long ago), so further voting is unnecesary. The categories are already finilized and yes the OP/ED category is in, and don't worry worst character category is out.
Old 2011-12-14, 10:30   Link #34
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Extended but ditch Worst Character.
Old 2011-12-14, 10:35   Link #35
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The categories are already finilized and yes the OP/ED category is in
When voting on OP/ED,is the animation taken into account or are we just voting based on the song?
I'm guessing just the song based on the fact that it's named "OP/ED soundtrack" category but I just want to make sure
Old 2011-12-14, 11:03   Link #36
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The song. You can obviously take everything else into consideration but we designed it as more or less a song category since that's what I think most people understood it as; and asked for.
Old 2011-12-14, 11:59   Link #37
Stealther

Minimalistic with a few changes.

-{A1}- [Action/Adventure]
Remove adventure, it's too much of a subgenre that fits either in action, fantasy or sci-fi. If absolutely needed, keep it as a seperate.

-{A2}- [Fantasy/Sci-fi]
Split them.

-{A3}- [Mystery/Horror]
-{A4}- [Comedy]
-{A5}- [Drama/Romance]
Romance is enough on its own. I don't think you should favour dramatic romances automatically.

Drama should be an own category.

-{A6}- [Slice of Life]
Slice of Life could be added with Light Drama for better clarification against the drama category.

-{A7}- [Fanservice/Ecchi/Moe]
-{A8}- [Sports/Game/Hobby]
-{B1}- [TV series]
-{B2}- [Movie/OVA]
-{C1}- [Storyline/Plot]
-{C2}- [Visual/Animation]
The two components that comprises visuals are artwork and animation. So visuals is enough, or change it to artwork/animation.
-{C3}- [Soundtrack]
-{C4}- [Female Character]
I think no supporting characters are needed, but I wouldn't cry if there were.
-{C5}- [Male Character]
-{C6}- [Villain/Antagonist]

OP/ED should be an own category. I don't you should split OP and ED though. That would give it too much weight on a single OP or ED as a work, when I think you should think and relate to how good they are AND how fitting they were to the anime.

Setting/World I don't really have an opinion about. There have been times when I think the world they created are absolute wonderful and would like to highlight an anime for it (Mushishi, Aria, Tegami Bachi) but I'm fine either way.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 10:28   Link #38
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

@felix: While I know some people may disagree with me bringing this thread alive again but at same time I don't think the mods are happy when I made a new thread that just the same either. Anyway I think I did the right thing here since 2011 is going to end very soon and there's too little room for improvements and changes if the nominations may take place in January 1st. So I think this is the only best thread on regarding on improvements and changes of the choice awards for the next year.
Old 2011-12-15, 14:48   Link #39
Fahd
* >/dev/null

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Anyway I think I did the right thing here since 2011 is going to end very soon and there's too little room for improvements and changes if the nominations may take place in January 1st. So I think this is the only best thread on regarding on improvements and changes of the choice awards for the next year.
By next year do you mean the upcoming nomination/vote (Jan 1st 2012) or the one after (Jan 1st 2013)? If the former then it's too late for any suggestions to be discussed and incorporated before this event kicks off. If the latter then you might want to wait till the event is over as there'll likely be a whole chorus of people making complaints suggestions .
Fahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 16:07   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

If you have a suggestion that's not something controversial (in particular not in the poll) then we can probably throw it in if it's not really something that needs debating and Haak's okey with it.

We do have a [feedback] system that we will try out this year that will gurantee all your ideas get gathered and archived. It also allows you to support other's ideas in a very clear way. As you probably notice from the poll the really vocal opinions like "fewer categories" aren't necesarly what the majority wants (or doesn't want), and in some cases doesn't even make sense in conjuction with other things people want. You can't have fewer categories, yet at the same time another 10 new categories.

Overly long debates in threads tend to be ambigous at times. People like to mention ideas inbetween other ideas. Things get lost. Overall threads are very conclusion oriented, they're hard to weed though and grab the specifics, and make clear lists of things. Which we kind of need if we want to set clear milestones, so issues don't come up time and time again; as some have with previous iterations.