AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-02, 15:33   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 785 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

What's up, guys? Well, 784 may have been released on a holiday break.... but at least we DO get an earlier spoiler leak for the next chapter! Anyways, the next spoiler summary is out, courtesy of AP's Redon, with translation by CCC:

-Chapter title is something like "Even with a broken leg". It seems the Jinbei ministory has reached its final chapter, with him and Wadatsumi saying their farewells to the islanders and sea monsters.

-The townsfolk cheer on Luffy as he beats up Doflamingo, though they're unaware of who he is. Cavendish is also shocked by Luffy's Gear 4 power-up, but Law is worried that the rubber man is using too much haki. Also watching the fight is Jesus Burgess, who ponders whether or not to make a strike on Luffy now or wait. In turn, watching Burgess is Koala. Viola tells her father that Luffy and Doflamingo are the only fighters left.

-Franky and the Tontattas have destroyed the interior of the Smile factory, and escape. Interestingly, even Dofla's strings can't cut through the sea stone-coated exterior of the factory, so the Birdcage merely drags it along. Franky spots Zoro and the two samurai running towards the cage and tries to warn them, but Zoro tells him that he's buying time by stopping the strings.

-Back to the main fight, Dofla has further analyzed Luffy's Gear 4: he uses haki to control the elasticity of his rubber body, combining rubber with armament haki. The warlord also realizes that the pressure of controlling his body in that state means that he can't stay in that form for long. This is further confirmed by the fact that Luffy's rushing to finish him off. When the supernova attacks him with Culverin, Dofla blocks the strike with strings that sprouted from the ground! He reveals to the rookie that devil fruits can sometimes be awakened to a higher level, and turns the buildings around him into strings to attack Luffy!

-Luffy is shocked, thinking that this is beyond what a paramecia-type devil fruit is capable of. However, Dofla explains that ALL devil fruit powers can be awakened, and that Luffy's nowhere near the level to awaken his just yet. 20 minutes has passed since the activation of the Birdcage, and half of the nation has been destroyed. All around the nation, the townsfolk start to despair from Dofla's powers, but King Riku broadcasts a speech, telling them that Luffy is fighting for their sake, and that they shouldn't give up hope. This indeed raises the townsfolk's morale, as even the sick and elderly support each other to survive!

-Back to the fight, Doflamingo turns more buildings into strings to kill Luffy with, but the supernova knocks him off balance with a headbutt. He then blasts away the warlord with yet another new move: Lion Bazooka!

....Damn. So it wasn't just Zoans that can be awakened. Well, at least this proves once and for all that Luffy still has room for improvement, despite the power he gained over the last two years. Can't wait for the full chapter!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-05-07 at 00:46.
Old 2015-05-02, 16:01   Link #2
Rainbowman

This chapter is more epic than the previous one.
Old 2015-05-02, 16:46   Link #3
imza

No way that ends the fight, I still see this fight ending with Luffy barely standing. However, I think seeing the awakened Dofy will give Luffy ideas for future fights against emperors.
Old 2015-05-02, 16:57   Link #4
marvelB

Y'know, upon further consideration..... an Awakened Luffy would be the most awesome thing ever. I mean, if he can turn entire battlefields into rubber, then he'd essentially become Pinball Luffy!.
Old 2015-05-02, 20:01   Link #5
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

I've always had a feeling that this was the case; that all Devil fruits can be 'awakened' (using the term as vaguely as possible). We already had Awakened Zoans in Impel Down but I had guessed that Magellan was an Awakened Paramecium going by how overpowered Venom Demon: Hell's Judgement was. As for an example of an Awakened Logia... Enel, Caesar Clown with Shi no Kuni? Just another point of speculation for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Y'know, upon further consideration..... an Awakened Luffy would be the most awesome thing ever. I mean, if he can turn entire battlefields into rubber, then he'd essentially become Pinball Luffy!.
The possibilities are limitless. Would such an Awakened state be called Gear 5th? Is it something independent of the Gears and the rubber battlefield can somehow be augmented by the gears and haki (not sure how that'd work though)? Or would Awakening itself have a different effect than whats being imagined?

We haven't even finished speculating about Gear 4 and I've already moved onto Awakening
Old 2015-05-02, 21:03   Link #6
james0246

Awakened Rubber = the ability to stretch through time. I've been saying that for years now, and now Oda is inching closer to finally revealing my Ultimate Speculation.
Old 2015-05-02, 21:16   Link #7
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

^ Well Doflamingo's strings can attach themselves to other people/things and thus affect them. Luffy's rubber capabilities are more or less confined to his body. Don't see how his abilities can affect space-time. Unless you mind explaining? I think it's an interesting thought of yours.

As is this whole "awakening" aspect of df's. Way to add a whole new dimension to an already complicated topic.. I need time to digest this.
Old 2015-05-02, 23:35   Link #8
bonsobon

I have a feeling I'm going to be in the minority here but this latest development worries me. I would have preferred this fight to be about Luffy beating a high level haki user in his prime, like Doflamingo was, and nothing more. It would have showcased his development during the timeskip as he had never done that previously. I know some people will point to his previous fights with Enel (devil fruit and haki) and Chinjao (two haki types), but one was because of Luffy having an innate advantage due to his devil fruit and the other was well past his prime and nowhere near as strong as before. I think it would have kept the inevitable power creep to a relatively reasonable level. Instead he is going to beat an opponent who has a high level of both CoC and CoA haki, as well as a fully awakened devil fruit. I feel it's too big a jump at this time and that the later fights are going to be even more ridiculous than they are now in their levels of power.
Old 2015-05-03, 00:11   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Awakened Rubber = the ability to stretch through time. I've been saying that for years now, and now Oda is inching closer to finally revealing my Ultimate Speculation.

That reminds me: I'm still banking on Blackbeard's ultimate power-up to basically be something like ZA WARUDO. Maybe that will be the power he gains upon awakening the darkness ability....

Also, as far as the future of the awakening development goes.... honestly, I strongly doubt this means that everyone and their mother will suddenly be unleashing super hax hidden DF powers in every fight from now on. I'm basically seeing this being similar to haki in that it's a skill that only the best of the best will acquire. In other words, I doubt we'll be seeing too many people below emperor/admiral level who can awaken their ability's full potential.
Old 2015-05-03, 06:20   Link #10
rajrp

^ its like achieving bankai.....not all can achieve it.....only few can achieve bankai.....similar to it only few can awaken there df power
Old 2015-05-03, 06:43   Link #11
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening

Luffy hidden power, become a rubber sap/latex?

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck
Old 2015-05-03, 07:31   Link #12
J4n1

Seriously? mid fight power up/reveal?
sigh...
I guess we should have expected this.
Old 2015-05-03, 14:31   Link #13
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
I've always had a feeling that this was the case; that all Devil fruits can be 'awakened' (using the term as vaguely as possible). We already had Awakened Zoans in Impel Down but I had guessed that Magellan was an Awakened Paramecium going by how overpowered Venom Demon: Hell's Judgement was. As for an example of an Awakened Logia... Enel, Caesar Clown with Shi no Kuni? Just another point of speculation for now.

The possibilities are limitless. Would such an Awakened state be called Gear 5th? Is it something independent of the Gears and the rubber battlefield can somehow be augmented by the gears and haki (not sure how that'd work though)? Or would Awakening itself have a different effect than whats being imagined?

We haven't even finished speculating about Gear 4 and I've already moved onto Awakening
Know who else might have awakened powers in devil fruit? Basil Hawkins with his transformation into a straw golem.
Old 2015-05-03, 16:41   Link #14
LG-MAX 2.o

so even One Piece can not beat the time.
Old 2015-05-03, 23:37   Link #15
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

^
What's that supposed to mean?
Old 2015-05-04, 01:02   Link #16
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

awakened = bankai? sigh.. please no...

dofla better not be another aizen
Old 2015-05-04, 01:47   Link #17
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
awakened = bankai? sigh.. please no...

dofla better not be another aizen
As a person who stopped reading bleach soon after they went to whatever that place was where the healer chick got kidnapped to, i can heartily agree with, please, no Aizen.

Not really a fan of the "awakened" idea, but i'll wait and see how it goes, One Piece has not dissapointed yet, so will keep optimistic attitude.
Old 2015-05-04, 11:01   Link #18
imza

I actually like the multitude of power ups, different devil fruit forms, haki, gears, advance martial arts and now awakened fruits. It adds a bit more complexity to the tired old linear progression in power. With devil fruits alone we have already seen they are not some hax ability so if Doffy can do something with it, it's because he has other things going for him already.
Old 2015-05-04, 11:36   Link #19
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Wow, an early chapter nice. Just when you thought you slightly figured things out with devil fruit abilities things get even more complicated. Did Luffy really achive this kind of stuff over his two year worth of training? I'm impressed with that but really wish Oda saved that for his fight with Big Mom, that's going to be even more harder to beat than his fight with Dof here.

I like the concept though and am curious what else he can do with this awaking devil fruit ability of his as fights go on. I just hope it won't turn out to be like what Oda did with Haki in the time skip, my gosh you have no idea how disapointed I was that with how he handled it, he made it sound like it was this special limited thing that only few big timers have it but as we moved on it feels like every one we've come across lately has had it, please don't ruine this idea too Oda.

I'll be surprised with Dof defeat like this but wouldn't die of shock either I mean how much can Oda keep pushing Luffy's limits in one fight? Granted Dof is no small fry but we've got bigger people to deal with soon that will surpass Dof's is what I'm saying.

Any ways, pretty fun chapter. Been a while since I've been caught off guard like that with One Piece, bravo Oda I salute you.

Edit;

HA, people talking about Aizen from Bleach. I remember those days back when I was a Bleach fan, been a while.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-05-04, 11:37   Link #20
J4n1

I don't think Dofla needed a powerup, he was doing fairly well as it was.
Considering how variable the devil fruits are, there really is no need to add more complexity.

And we have had power ups constantly mid fight (string golems, bird cage, surviving being stabbed and binding his wounds with his own strings), i just don't see them as necessary, and they almost inevitably delay the conclusion by at least a chapter, and more likely 3.
1. reveal
2. Luffy getting ass kicked
3. Luffy has an epiphany
4. tide turns
So we had reveal now, next 3 parts could happen in next chapter, but more likely it will take chapter or several for each part.

It's really a pacing issue, this arc has been going for a while, with several subplots, and we get chapter a week, if that.
Once archive crawling, it won't be so bad, but now, it's taking forever to get anywhere.

edit-
thing about Haki, is that even if only big timers have it, almost any important named character in the New World is going to be big timer, compared to almost anyone in the first half of Grand Line.
Just like DF's were rare in East Blue, but seem to be everywhere in Grand Line.
happily, we're half way to the end, so no worries, this should keep us going to until Luffy becomes the Pirate King.
Closed Thread