AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2008-11-26, 11:34   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

One Piece - Character Discussion - Brook

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Brook related.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Brook fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 10:34   Link #2
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
WHAT!?
No love for the great Gentleman Skeleton!?
Blasphemy!

Looks like I once again take virginity...

Now then:

I've heard that Brook was once part of the First Strike Squad of some foreign kingdom, hence where his fencing skills come in.

But I'm curious, just what could have drove a person like that to become a pirate?

Out of all the Strawhat crew, Brook is clearly the oldest (both chronologically and physically). So that gets me to wondering, much like I have with all the old geezers in this media (curse you Avatar and your "all old men are connected" ideology), did Brook ever meet Gold Roger?

Actually wait, Brook said he's been lost in the fog of the Florinian Triangle for fifty years correct? He'd have been around long before Roger, at least based on the Pirate King's apparent age by execution, though we can't rule out every possibility being as this is Shounen we're dealing with...

But really, Brook is kind of like a walking time capsole; who knows what kind of things he's seen in the Old World, he was a clearly well-traveled pirate...

I think I can compare Brook to Robin in this respect, he may not be the most pivital figure as of yet, but I can't help but feel there is some hidden importance to his character.

"It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"We were all meant to shine as children do.

"It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 11:23   Link #3
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Brooke did say that he heard of a young lad called Gold Roger.

But he probably died before Roger became the Pirate King and never met him.

If Roger's prime was the golden age of piracy and now, the new age of piracy. Brooke probably came from an even older age, before the golden age. You can call him a really old school pirate.

He may even been born during the missing 100 years, just that he doesn't know that its been removed from history.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 11:30   Link #4
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Brooke did say that he heard of a young lad called Gold Roger.

But he probably died before Roger became the Pirate King and never met him.

If Roger's prime was the golden age of piracy and now, the new age of piracy. Brooke probably came from an even older age, before the golden age. You can call him a really old school pirate.

He may even been born during the missing 100 years, just that he doesn't know that its been removed from history.
Ah, so that's how it is...

I'd wondered about Brook's placement in time and pondered upon him being around during the Lost History... but it doesn't seem logical.
He had, what I assume, was a World Government bounty so he had to have come after the fall of Professor Clover's Great Civilization... unless Brook is older than he lets on.

Having your country destroyed by the very benefactors of the world would be a good cause to turn to piracy, maybe his home was just one of many "purged" by the WG in their climb to the position of Super-power.

Brook could, in all Shounen possibility, be a descendant of those who created the Ponyglyph...
Hmm, as an unknown kingdom, prehaps Brook's homeland has gone unnoticed by the WG? Maybe a refuge for those survivors of the Old World?

"Your playing small does not serve the world, there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

"And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.

"As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
Old 2008-11-27, 11:35   Link #5
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm did they talk about Brooke's birthplace?

Brooke himself is a sort of Bard. Bards represent wanderers who like freedom and music, and along their travels, gained wisdom. Not really that sure if he fits that description though lol

If Brooke did take up piracy and became a musician, he sounds like someone who just wants freedom and fun. Why he wants such freedom, I don't know though.

Old 2008-11-27, 15:34   Link #6
Rainbowman

I have a question involving Brook: What instuments is he able to play?
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 16:02   Link #7
james0246

Well, since he is a Skeleton, I doubt he can play wind-based instruments (then again, how can he whistle or even speak ?). That being said, I think we have only seen him play a violin and a piano.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-27, 18:40   Link #8
seiji_kun

Quote:
I doubt he's been born during the void history seeing he's around 80-90 years. Well Laboon should be proof that he ain't born during the void history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
I have a question involving Brook: What instuments is he able to play?
Does this answer your question?

Spoiler:

And though it is interesting wondering how he could play wind-based instruments, I find it more interesting (like Luffy) how he can take a shit or where the food dissapears to when he eats.
Old 2008-11-27, 19:08   Link #9
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiji_kun View Post
IAnd though it is interesting wondering how he could play wind-based instruments, I find it more interesting (like Luffy) how he can take a shit or where the food dissapears to when he eats.
That's how his fruit works.
Though he is a skeleton, he still retains all his normal life functions.

Old 2008-11-28, 05:34   Link #10
heebo

Is Brook's fruit one use only? If he would die again. Would he be able to resurrect?
Old 2008-11-28, 07:06   Link #11
Keeper

How exactly you would kill him anyway? Turn his bones into nothing more than dust? Can he just regenerate as long as his head is mostly intact by just drinking milk?

More questions than we have answers about his devil fruit.
Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 08:46   Link #12
heebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
That's actually a really interesting question.
If it is just one use, then it's probably the most useless fruit of all. But if he can be always ressurected, it would be seriously overpowered.
We have to remember that he isn't able to regenerate his body. Which is the main reason why he is so careful with his afro.
Old 2008-11-28, 12:15   Link #13
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebo View Post
We have to remember that he isn't able to regenerate his body. Which is the main reason why he is so careful with his afro.
He can regenerate the bones by drinking milk.
The hair thing is more up to speculation, we can't really be sure one way or the other hence why he protects it so.

Old 2008-11-28, 19:01   Link #14
noktown

It is a tricky question considering that you can't even kill him unless you launch an attack that will completely wipe out his body.But who knows maybe then he will stay as a spirit xD

But i think he is already immortal.
noktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 02:01   Link #15
Rinji
Mew...
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Rinji
Now I'm not so sure about Immortal... I mean he seemed pretty worried about Ryuuma during that whole spiel, and I'm pretty sure that's partly because of his afro, but also because Ryuuma could burn his entire body....

I think Brook could be killed by Fire.
Rinji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 17:36   Link #16
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinji View Post
Now I'm not so sure about Immortal... I mean he seemed pretty worried about Ryuuma during that whole spiel, and I'm pretty sure that's partly because of his afro, but also because Ryuuma could burn his entire body....

I think Brook could be killed by Fire.
Maybe...
Perhaps hisafro is his biggest weakness after-all? If anything happens to it......
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-29, 23:56   Link #17
Mark15
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Mark15
I think that Brook needs alot of inprovement, like in sword fightining. Zoro should teach him.
Mark15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 12:17   Link #18
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark15 View Post
I think that Brook needs alot of inprovement, like in sword fightining. Zoro should teach him.
The crew doesn't need two of the smae fighters....
Zoro fights like an asian swordsman - a samurai.
Brooke is more like a fencer. The two types of swordplay are too different for either of them to learn anything useful from each other...
Old 2008-11-30, 14:57   Link #19
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Brook is a musician, if anything, he would most likely improve through music.

An example would be, maybe he'll come up with a 'song of death' that knocks out opponents instantly or something.

Old 2008-11-30, 15:11   Link #20
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Quote:
Brook is a musician, if anything, he would most likely improve through music.

An example would be, maybe he'll come up with a 'song of death' that knocks out opponents instantly or something.
Music soothes the savage beast...
Brooke will gain animal manipulation...
Poor chopper.
"Get me panties!"
"as you wish..."