AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-01-01, 15:55   Link #61
witchfan

Well, he did destroy the box, I think. It's just, he snatched away most of the stuff that was in the box, and left us with an odd mess.
witchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 15:56   Link #62
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I can't tell how (un)popular Bern is in Japan, considering it has been ages I didn't check the polls. I was mostly referring to the english speaking community, considering the numerous negative comments regarding her.

I personally see her role as one among many, not really an "antagonist" to be fairly honest. In fact, being one of the "good" or "bad" guy isn't even accurate for her. Just I can say is that she is one of the most interesting characters in the franchise to me.

Oh and she (or rather Ryukishi) pulled a very meany and teasing comment:
さよなら、みんな。 また何かの、なく頃に。
Old 2011-01-01, 15:56   Link #63
Iromaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherringford View Post
If you aren't... .Then you'll probably enjoy it much more than I did.
I think meta/fantasy fans will hate the ending even more. Not the episode itself, but the ending.

Anyways, it's getting really terrible reviews on EGS so far.
Iromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 15:57   Link #64
Sherringford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I can't tell how (un)popular Bern is in Japan, considering it has been ages I didn't check the polls. I was mostly referring to the english speaking community, considering the numerous comments regarding her.

I personally see her role as one among many, not really an "antagonist" to be fairly honest. In fact, being one of the "good" or "bad" guy isn't even accurate for her. Just I can say is that she is one of the most interesting characters in the franchise to me.

さよなら、みんな。 また何かの、なく頃に。
I think the English fandom always found her to be one of those "love to hate" characters though. She is a villain, she is supposed to make you hate her. And god damn it she did it well.

I consider her "evil bastard whose interests sometimes overlap with mine."
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 15:59   Link #65
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
さよなら、みんな。 また何かの、なく頃に。
"Goodbye everyone. Until when, something else, cries" - pulled out the best of my amateur moonspeak skills for that one.
Old 2011-01-01, 16:03   Link #66
witchfan

Bern is an epic troll. She's also a nice throwback to Higurashi (whatever I may end up thinking of Umineko, Higurashi is one of my favourite series...). I don't know how anyone could hate her, myself.
Old 2011-01-01, 16:09   Link #67
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

I can't stand her. Never could. It's not her in the sense of anything specifically she does, it's just I tire quickly of characters like her. That she was allowed to basically just do whatever she wanted for ages before anybody smacked her down only aggravated that.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 16:16   Link #68
witchfan

We need a post-EP8 character poll. My most hated characters would have to be Rosa, followed by Maria.
Old 2011-01-01, 16:21   Link #69
rogerpepitone

Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I feel like I've been playing Mao for a while. I can't figure out the rules, and the dealer keeps insisting that they're consistent, and lightly chides me for not trying hard enough to figure them out. Even things like who plays next seems to skip around randomly. My trust for the dealer is sinking continually, and I'm wondering whether we're actually playing something more like Fizbin. I finally push the dealer to give the full rules. Is it spoonfeeding to do so?

(If the rules are things like "Whenever a three is played, order of play reverses. Whenever a seven is played, skip one player.", and the dealer has been playing by those rules consistently, it might be, even though those can be real tough to understand with three players. If they are "Whenever a red car passes, order of play reverses. Whenever somebody plays the three of clubs when the six of spades is in the discard pile, skip a player.", then it probably isn't. And if there weren't a consistent set of rules, absolutely not.)

Ryu has been continually focusing on the questions of what exactly happened on Oct 4th and
5th. How Ange moves on after that has been a B plot at best.

I care very much about the resolution of the A plot (the events of Oct 4-5). I don't much care about the resolution of the B plot.
rogerpepitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 16:25   Link #70
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Let's stop drop the "no so liked characters" subject, shall we? It has really nothing to do with Episode 8.

Anyway, as far as I can recollect everything, there is one thing that "bothers" me:
Spoiler for Trick End:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpepitone View Post
Ryu has been continually focusing on the questions of what exactly happened on Oct 4th and
5th. How Ange moves on after that has been a B plot at best.
Except the A side progressively evolved in the chiru episodes, which was even more blatant with Battler's change of heart.
He certainly didn't try to go completely astray with Episode 7, but he definitely try to put shape into "something else than simply finding the truth".
Old 2011-01-01, 16:49   Link #71
lambdabern
Magical Cheff

By the way since featherine returns in ep 8 is she really as monstrous as bern said she was in ep6??
Old 2011-01-01, 16:51   Link #72
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Featherine is probably the most -broken- witch ever.
You learn in Episode 8 that she is one of those of the Creator category.

You will understand once you see how she basically turn Lambda into nothing, and I -mean it-.
Bern is definitely serious when she says that Featherine is a monster. I don't think anyone in uminekoverse would like to see her even angry.

If I were to compare with something from Tsukihime, it would be like the difference between 100% Arcueid and a regular human, or in Fate Stay Night: difference in mana between Shirou and Angra Manyu Sakura.
Old 2011-01-01, 16:54   Link #73
Sherringford

Quote:
Except the A side progressively evolved in the chiru episodes, which was even more blatant with Battler's change of heart.
He certainly didn't try to go completely astray with Episode 7, but he definitely try to put shape into "something else than simply finding the truth".
Problem being that one episode of setting it up<an entire series.

Sure episode 7 set us up for Ange's life. But the entire series set us up for Beatrice's tale, and Ryu just ignored it in favor of Ange.

Say what you will, but I find that to be terrible writing.
Sherringford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 16:58   Link #74
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Let's stop drop the "no so liked characters" subject, shall we? It has really nothing to do with Episode 8.
Aren't the episode threads for discussion, review, impressions, and opinion? How does discussing whether you like/dislike a character with respect to their actions taken in ep8 (and earlier, to establish context) have nothing to do with ep8?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 17:01   Link #75
Iromaru

Quote:
Featherine is probably the most -broken- witch ever.
You learn in Episode 8 that she is one of those of the Creator category.
She's basically Ryu's self insert. I seriously hate her.

The weird thing is: It's 99% certain Bern's letter was written to Featherine, but that Featherine was completely different than the one we know. First of all Bern really liked her. In that context their meeting from EP6 ???? makes no sense. Unless they were lying, or rather acting it out for Battler.

I'm preparing for crazy trolling in Rei.
Iromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 17:02   Link #76
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It wasn't aimed at you Renall. I was talking about the potential shift of the discussion, as witchfan was talking about Rosa and Maria, whereas there was nothing about them in Ep8.

I see no reason to prevent people talking about characters in the said episode, that's the very purpose of the thread. However, discussions akin to "poll" shouldn't take place here. I will sort out this matter when I have the time.
Old 2011-01-01, 18:09   Link #77
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
The weird thing is: It's 99% certain Bern's letter was written to Featherine, but that Featherine was completely different than the one we know. First of all Bern really liked her. In that context their meeting from EP6 ???? makes no sense. Unless they were lying, or rather acting it out for Battler.
Who says Bern liked whoever she was writing the letter to. She's very prone to sarcastically speaking well of people in patronizing ways until they piss her off.
Old 2011-01-01, 18:21   Link #78
luckyssol

Spoiler for Episode 8:

So if you think it’s not a fanjita then you have to make a theory to back your reasoning.

I’m loving episode 8 so far.

Last edited by luckyssol; 2011-01-01 at 23:38.
luckyssol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 19:06   Link #79
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
I want to know what was being talked about in that first screenshot. Who are they saying is a "personification of the message bottles"?
Old 2011-01-01, 19:09   Link #80
luckyssol

I think they are us.