AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-03-03, 03:13   Link #3141
sky black swordman

^ Same here.
Thanks for the update on volume 10 chapter 5, Hiyono!
Old 2013-03-04, 09:52   Link #3142
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Is this story any good later on? I read the first volume and it was decent, but 2,3,4,5 made me think the author is going down hill fast.

At first I thought it was cool to see guns in a LN, but by the time is volume 3 everyone is slinging magic. Bullets get fired so recklessly to a totally useless effect.

The whole hysteria mode thing get used so many times it make me wonder if 1/10 of the volume involve the author telling us about hysteria mode or it is variant. By the time Sherlock Holmes himself show up it became a joke.

Not to mention the author's overwhelming need to insert all the villain girls back into the story to be a harem girl. Riko was interesting V1, she was not in V4, for the author has to insert a law about juvenile crime to make it ok for her to come back from bombing an Airline.

Oh, there is also Aria's Mom's 890 years old prison sentence, which is also an absurd plot point.

Maybe I am just silly expecting a harem LN to be somewhat interesting?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 19:42   Link #3143
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Don't worry, you're not alone in thinking that the author destroyed his interesting concept of Butei.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 22:07   Link #3144
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ Don't worry, you're not alone in thinking that the author destroyed his interesting concept of Butei.

I don't think he even establish it.

Given the idea future world is full of crime that people now draft high school students as armed axillary police (Yet paradoxically deny them the right to kill), then the future of the world is damn grim. Yet...there is little sign the world is any different than present day Japan (or England, or China, whatever). In fact the whole environment appear to be "Classic Japanese High School" setting, except with a Fire Arm law that is way liberal than anything current world situation with exception of lawless state like Somalia.

The author could had made the story a lot more interesting to see the MC and Aria take down more mundane foes(Italian Mob, Japanese Yukaza, or Chinese Triad, etc). He tried to make the SS Division (I.E magic users) to be some ultra-secret group, but practically ever female character introduced have some kind of ability, and all enemies must be spell casters which completely diminish the mystique of the "mysterious I-U" rather fast.

I find Riken the Sniper girl to be the most interesting of the group, because she actually HIT her target now and then.

So there is the crux of what I am asking. Does the story get better past V4...or does it make even less sense?
Old 2013-03-05, 00:47   Link #3145
finalfury
Incognito

Makes even less sense i think. Still a fun ride if you like some of the characters. Riko is my number 1 tho, her lolita fashion style plus her character development = win win. Reki got second place only cause the development came later but still just as awesome.

Last edited by finalfury; 2013-03-05 at 01:12.
finalfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 19:46   Link #3146
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
The author could had made the story a lot more interesting to see the MC and Aria take down more mundane foes(Italian Mob, Japanese Yukaza, or Chinese Triad, etc).
That's what I actually wanted. Slowly build up the antagonists and how strong the Butei are compared to organized crime groups. This would have made the Butei system shine: groups of Butei providing cover, performing recon ops, or simply doing a precision blitzkrieg at crime cells. However, all they did was to focus on Kinji and his overused Hysteria Mode.

Quote:
He tried to make the SS Division (I.E magic users) to be some ultra-secret group, but practically ever female character introduced have some kind of ability
The introduction of the Choutei was the first of many mistakes of the author, the second being the removal of their rarity. I agree, there are too many Choutei running loose.

Quote:
and all enemies must be spell casters which completely diminish the mystique of the "mysterious I-U" rather fast.
Sherlock Holmes must be really disappointed. He was transformed into a plot device to give Aria an additional ability. Also, the IU assigned as the series' first major villain ended up too early. Echoing your statement, the mystique quickly went away.

Quote:
So there is the crux of what I am asking. Does the story get better past V4...or does it make even less sense?
After the IU, more ridiculous foes and concepts were introduced, including the Rank R (for Royal) Butei, which is supposed to be even more stronger than the Rank S Butei. This is the straw that broke the concept of Butei for good. Also, the series has long abandoned the usage of firearms since most villains have very powerful abilities that rendered guns useless.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-03-05, 20:54   Link #3147
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Good thing I stopped at V 4 with Aria start firing lazer beams then.

Also, as a final point, I noticed in V 1 the story mentioned Aria being taken back to the London Butei office. I wish it was the London Police, because the way this is sounding, "armed mercs" effectively has replaced police as head of law and order.

Life is weird, isn't it. If not for lolis and romance comedy, the back setting of Hidan No Aria may be one of the most Deystopian outside cyberpunk series like Deus Ex.
Old 2013-03-05, 21:02   Link #3148
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ If you'd think a bit more deeply about the setting, yes it is. Well, there are Armed Prosecutors as well, though, but they rarely step in the spotlight.

Old 2013-03-05, 21:16   Link #3149
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
That's what I actually wanted. Slowly build up the antagonists and how strong the Butei are compared to organized crime groups. This would have made the Butei system shine: groups of Butei providing cover, performing recon ops, or simply doing a precision blitzkrieg at crime cells. However, all they did was to focus on Kinji and his overused Hysteria Mode.
Eh. That sounds pretty dull to me, especially since Kinji's Hysteria would have made it a walk in the park.

If that's the kind of thing you like, you should try a manga called Zero In.

Quote:
The introduction of the Choutei was the first of many mistakes of the author, the second being the removal of their rarity. I agree, there are too many Choutei running loose.
I figure the Choutei are there as a way to compete with Kinji's Hysteria, since he'd mow down normal foes pretty easy.

Quote:
After the IU, more ridiculous foes and concepts were introduced, including the Rank R (for Royal) Butei, which is supposed to be even more stronger than the Rank S Butei. This is the straw that broke the concept of Butei for good
I think you're exaggerating here. There are only about 10 of them, so I don't see how that's breaking the system.

Quote:
Also, the series has long abandoned the usage of firearms since most villains have very powerful abilities that rendered guns useless.
Again, you're exaggerating. The Cao Cao sisters used firearms, even a witch like Patra can use a sniper rifle fairly well.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 21:39   Link #3150
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Eh. That sounds pretty dull to me, especially since Kinji's Hysteria would have made it a walk in the park.
MAYBE, but there should had been some progression in the story, something to show the effectiveness of the Butei other than combating super-villains. I was really hoping Riko could fill the role the way she used poisonous gas, bombed an Airplane etc.

It could had been great watching them fight each other over the world. But noooo, in V4 suddenly all her crimes get erased (I don't know about you, the stuff she did in today's world would land her in Fed Max if not death penality), and she join the harem.

I see Diurnal, the mysterious descendant of Jon Arc, and what she do? Join the harem in like...5 minutes. If all these criminals warrant did crimes that goes up to 200-400 years, then how is they are left free to go to class while Aria's Mom end up in jail for upward of centuries? Just how messed up is this future world's legal system?

Quote:
I think you're exaggerating here. There are only about 10 of them, so I don't see how that's breaking the system.
Escalating firepower.
Quote:
Again, you're exaggerating. The Cao Cao sisters used firearms, even a witch like Patra can use a sniper rifle fairly well.
Well, like I said, I stopped at V4 with the Petra shoot-in-Aria's heart-curse bullet thing. Plus, 99% of her attacks was through magic. That is fine. But if 99% of the butei's foes and ally all have magic, then one have to ask just what kind of setting the author have in mind.
Old 2013-03-05, 21:47   Link #3151
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
It's easy, actually; introduce a Badass Normal that could fight on equal terms with Kinji on Hysteria Mode. That said, I hate how Kinji could do anything under Hysteria mode.

Quote:
I figure the Choutei are there as a way to compete with Kinji's Hysteria, since he'd mow down normal foes pretty easy.
I disagree. There should be a better way for Kinji to get decent foes than to give everyone powers. Someone who was able to amass mercenaries or do anything with money or someone who has trained so well in martial arts that Kinji's bullets are swiftly evaded would be decent foes for Kinji.

Quote:
There are only about 10 of them, so I don't see how that's breaking the system.
The Butei System only goes from E to S at the start of the series. If the author had to introduce another rank for Butei just to shove superweapons-of-a-character in it, then I have to say that he has mismanaged the power rankings, and is making the supposed strongest Rank S second-best.

Old 2013-03-05, 22:11   Link #3152
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
MAYBE, but there should had been some progression in the story, something to show the effectiveness of the Butei other than combating super-villains. I was really hoping Riko could fill the role the way she used poisonous gas, bombed an Airplane etc.
You have a bit of a point there, but the author is probably thinking that we just accept that part, since Kinji andmfriwnds are hardly normal Butei in the first place.

Quote:
It could had been great watching them fight each other over the world. But noooo, in V4 suddenly all her crimes get erased (I don't know about you, the stuff she did in today's world would land her in Fed Max if not death penality), and she join the harem.

I see Diurnal, the mysterious descendant of Jon Arc, and what she do? Join the harem in like...5 minutes. If all these criminals warrant did crimes that goes up to 200-400 years, then how is they are left free to go to class while Aria's Mom end up in jail for upward of centuries? Just how messed up is this future world's legal system?
The plea bargain thing is a bit out there, but apparently the info they give out is worth it. Murderers go free in witness protection amyway

Quote:
Escalating firepower.
Don't quite see it that way.

Quote:
Well, like I said, I stopped at V4 with the Petra shoot-in-Aria's heart-curse bullet thing. Plus, 99% of her attacks was through magic. That is fine. But if 99% of the butei's foes and ally all have magic, then one have to ask just what kind of setting the author have in mind.
That's an exaggeration. In fact, the way both modern firearms and magic are both used can be said to be one of the charms of this series.

Quote:
It's easy, actually; introduce a Badass Normal that could fight on equal terms with Kinji on Hysteria Mode. That said, I hate how Kinji could do anything under Hysteria mode.
That's OK once or twice. But the more you do that, the more trivial Hysteria Mode becomes.

Quote:
I disagree. There should be a better way for Kinji to get decent foes than to give everyone powers. Someone who was able to amass mercenaries or do anything with money or someone who has trained so well in martial arts that Kinji's bullets are swiftly evaded would be decent foes for Kinji.
I find the constrast of magic versus guns to be rather interesting. As I mentioned before, Kinji continually fighting guys like that with Hysteria Mode would be dull. It's like putting Spider-Man in a world with no supervillains. He could get by beating up mobsters and martial artists and what not, but it would feel sort of unbalanced, having only one person with superpowers around.

Quote:
The Butei System only goes from E to S at the start of the series. If the author had to introduce another rank for Butei just to shove superweapons-of-a-character in it, then I have to say that he has mismanaged the power rankings, and is making the supposed strongest Rank S second-best.
Honestly, I think you're exaggerating it. If it helps, just think of it as the 10 best S-ranks getting a special rank.

Old 2013-03-05, 22:21   Link #3153
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
You have a bit of a point there, but the author is probably thinking that we just accept that part, since Kinji andmfriwnds are hardly normal Butei in the first place.
Do the normal (i.e., no special abilities) Butei actually help the specials in high-profile missions? I always had the impressions that most of the missions involve the protagonists and most of the supporting cast are simply shoved aside.

Quote:
That's OK once or twice. But the more you do that, the more trivial Hysteria Mode becomes.
Toaru Majutsu no Index did exceptionally well with the Imagine Breaker. Might be powerful, but it can backfire against him and can be easily worked around. I was hoping that Hysteria Mode acted in a similar way as Touma's right hand ability.

Quote:
I find the constrast of magic versus guns to be rather interesting. As I mentioned before, Kinji continually fighting guys like that with Hysteria Mode would be dull. It's like putting Spider-Man in a world with no supervillains. He could get by beating up mobsters and martial artists and what not, but it would feel sort of unbalanced, having only one person with superpowers around.
Maybe it's my preference. I wanted this series to be more down-to-earth when it comes to guns since most light novels nowadays rely on fantasy and magic. To me, what's dull is Kinji always fighting at the forefront. Reminds me all too much of Fairy Tail, etc.

Old 2013-03-05, 22:58   Link #3154
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Do the normal (i.e., no special abilities) Butei actually help the specials in high-profile missions? I always had the impressions that most of the missions involve the protagonists and most of the supporting cast are simply shoved aside.
Actually, they do help out. Kinji's friend Mutou has done so on two occasions

Quote:
Toaru Majutsu no Index did exceptionally well with the Imagine Breaker. Might be powerful, but it can backfire against him and can be easily worked around. I was hoping that Hysteria Mode acted in a similar way as Touma's right hand ability.
Hysteria Mode has it's problems as well, mostly it's activation and limitations. But really, it's a totally different thing than Imagine Breaker.

Quote:
Maybe it's my preference. I wanted this series to be more down-to-earth when it comes to guns since most light novels nowadays rely on fantasy and magic. To me, what's dull is Kinji always fighting at the forefront. Reminds me all too much of Fairy Tail, etc.
That's the thing, this series was never down to earth from the start, not with something like Hysteria Mode. As for Kinji always fighting at the front, he is the main character.

Old 2013-03-05, 23:07   Link #3155
larethian

Quote:

Sherlock Holmes must be really disappointed. He was transformed into a plot device to give Aria an additional ability. Also, the IU assigned as the series' first major villain ended up too early. Echoing your statement, the mystique quickly went away.

After the IU, more ridiculous foes and concepts were introduced, including the Rank R (for Royal) Butei, which is supposed to be even more stronger than the Rank S Butei. This is the straw that broke the concept of Butei for good. Also, the series has long abandoned the usage of firearms since most villains have very powerful abilities that rendered guns useless.
LOL, this sounds like Bleach to me.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 23:13   Link #3156
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Well, it's more like <insert long-running shounen battle manga> to me.

Old 2013-03-06, 00:21   Link #3157
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
LOL, this sounds like Bleach to me.
What you talking about ; Bleach ended when Aizen got sealed.

Aria forever pettanko.
Old 2013-03-06, 09:36   Link #3158
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

While I am no fan of bleach, I think Bleach handle the it better. In chapter one we already "see" magic when that girl walk through the MC's bedroom. So we know magic is not that common.

Here, we have the ultra secretive "Magic user" at school, and they are no longer a secret by volume II.

I-U being this super powerful organization? Well, the #2 showed up in what? Volume 3? Not to mention the "Professor" himself showed up in V4. Make you wonder if it is not much of an organization than a regular club.

So even for shonoen battle mangas, it has very low value other than Rom-Com stuff.

The other problem is the hysteria mode thing. At first the author tried to scientifically explain hysteria mode as sexual arousal lead to chemical production etc etc...then by V3 everyone is shooting fireballs from their palm anyway.

I think my favorite volume was actually V1, where Riko did that plane hijacking, bomb the plane, and fled, and with his fellow Butei's help, they were able to land the plane safely. After that....not so much at all.
Old 2013-03-06, 16:06   Link #3159
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
You mean, like what's happening in the latest volume of HnA with the Hong Kong Triad? (In all seriousness though, it took them quite a while to get to that strategy >.<)
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-06, 19:46   Link #3160
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Well at least they got to the Triad. But face it, it's already too late for that. The plot's gone to shit.

Tags
action, detectives, guns, harem, lolis, mf bunko j, romance, shounen