AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-03-08, 16:42   Link #21
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

You seem to have missed the point completely. I'm not saying that KM3 can or cannot do things Automation can or cannot do. I'm saying that you did a retarded comparison. Which you did.

simple-k-replacer has a lot of "superfluous" code because it does a lot more than your KM3 example does.
Your KM3 example replaces one instance of a given string with another string, based on the first string's contents. It doesn't even do any calculations. Big deal, I could do that with about three lines of Perl.
simple-k-replacer, on the other hand, is a script that loads another script, throws up a configuration dialog, calls functions in the above-mentioned other script, strips or does not strip other tags from the string, expands variables, evaluates expressions, throws errors if necessary, checks the line's style and so on. You do some of this too, but not in the example you provided; you do it in KM3 itself. Still, your example is nowhere near as advanced as simple-k-replacer is, even if only because it's static.

What it all boils down to is that the code that you have written is basically this:
Code:
template = "{\bord2}{\t("  [0]  ","  [1]  ",\bord5)}"  [s];
If you want to do such a simple effect, you'd be better off using simple-k-replacer, in which the equivalent code is this:
Code:
{\bord2}{\t($start,$end,\bord5)}
Now, if you really insisted, you could write this as an entirely separate automation script. It would be really stupid, because the framework for doing it the simple way (simple-k-replacer) is already there and shipped with Aegisub, but you can do it. In which case the code (minus all the copypasta and metadata) really is this:
Code:
local text, ktext
text = syl.text
ktext = "{\bord2}{\t(" .. syl.start_time .. "," .. syl.end_time .. ",\bord5)}"
return ktext .. text
Two lines are variable declarations (which you apparently don't need in KM3). Disregard those, and, OK, it IS a lot more code than KM3. Twice as much, in fact. Oh my god. </sarcasm>

Of course, the factorybrews limit you in various ways. That's not relevant. They're there to make simple things simple to do. If you want to do really advanced things, write your own Automation script. You don't have to, though, because of the factorybrews. On a semi-related note, I'd suggest you take a look at multi-template for a really interesting example of how one can use most of the features of Automation without having to actually write a separate Automation script, and without having to type in a tiny textbox.

Edit: hint from people who actually know automation: the Automation example can be written like this instead (no variable declarations needed):
Code:
return "{\bord2}{\t(" .. syl.start_time .. "," .. syl.end_time .. ",\bord5)}" .. syl.text
They also inform me that quite a bunch of the code in my original example was superfluous as well.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2007-03-08 at 17:54.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 16:47   Link #22
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draders View Post
Everything said there KM3 can do.
So can SSATool, which considerably predates KM.

Can your program do anything innovative?
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 17:31   Link #23
D4RK-PH0ENiX
Mad Karaoker
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to D4RK-PH0ENiX Send a message via MSN to D4RK-PH0ENiX Send a message via Yahoo to D4RK-PH0ENiX
do a visual tool for karaoke making using less scripting (that's for beginners and lazy people). Personally I work with aegisub's automation because I can do anything using it (in the limitations of ASS format)
D4RK-PH0ENiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 18:03   Link #24
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere View Post

Can your program do anything innovative?
There's no such thing as being innovative for a long time now in this trade. Last time someone tried claiming innovation on this forum, he quickly realized that furigana karaoke has already been invented years ago. <_____<;
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 18:18   Link #25
Draders
... :D

Maybe a slightly more advanced example will show you how easy it is to extend the functionality of the script.

Code:
Event main {
    start = <[start] - 250>;  // Subtracts 250 from the start of the line.
    end = <[end] + 250>;  // Adds 250 to the end of the line.
}

Template simplekreplacer (pos) {  // [ns] is the duration of the syllable.
    template = "{\bord2}{\t("  [0]  ","  <[0] + ([ns] / 2)>  ",\bord5)\t("  <[0] + ([ns] / 2)>  ","  [1]  ",\bord2)}"  [s];  
    start = "{\fad(250,250)}{\pos(640,"  [pos]  ")}";
}

Run {
    if ([style] == "Default") {
        main.simplekreplacer(20);
    } else {
        main.simplekreplacer(80);
    }
}
There a couple lines it can now be style dependent with as many else ifs as you want, and there is some calculations in there as it now increases the bord to 5 for the frist half of the syllable and then decreases it back to 2 for the second half. I even added lead in and outs and passed a parameter to the template to change the vertical position of the line depending on the style. This I would still consider a basic KM3 script. Doesn't even touch the more advanced functionality such as gradients or function variables and arrays.

Quote:
KM3! The first karaoke maker came out just after full metal alchemist finished.

SSA Tool has some neat options, but nothing I would call innovative. Hasn't been anything inovative in this field for ever. Which is why I'm just trying to make it easier and faster. SSA Tools gui is also annoying to use and doesn't display properly on luna windows theme. (http://www.draders.com/images/ssatoolgui.png)
Draders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 18:37   Link #26
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Luna sucks anyway.

As far as fansubbing tools (not including Adobe stuff and whatever else that's simply not an option for most of us that don't pirate software) goes, it's very innovative. Very few of its features had been done before. And it dates back to early-mid 2004, FYI. The earliest I have as a backup is from July 2004, but there was a whole nother version before that that I also lost in a crash, and the backup is not the earliest version of the "second" SSATool, either.

And that was a serious question, by the way. You can get into bashing SSATool if you think you need to defend yourself, or you can honestly answer it.

Last edited by RaistlinMajere; 2007-03-08 at 18:49.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 22:33   Link #27
Draders
... :D

Karaoke Maker 3.0.4b (March 08 2007)
- Added Simple \k replacer wizard.
- Added flags field to Templates.
- Fixed parse error with special tags (\N, \n, and \h).

The wizard is pretty straight forward, but you can find info on how to use it at http://perseus.draders.com/km3/misc.php

Quote:
And that was a serious question, by the way. You can get into bashing SSATool if you think you need to defend yourself, or you can honestly answer it.
I wasn't aiming to be inovative, I was aiming to provide an easy way to make karaokes, I don't like the interface of your tool or the way Aegisub's automation works, and km2 was getting to annoying to upgrade so I made a new tool and decided to make it public, I only put up that comparisode to see what other people think. As for inovation, I'm mostly played catch up and am now starting to add the inovation. But some things I havn't seen are the use of arrays with templates. In KM3 you can declare an array like:
Code:
Array tmp {
    template = [r,100,300];
}
When you access an index like [tmp,0] and that index hasnt been used before it will apply the template to that index and it will remain static until you manually change it or reset it.
Code:
Template examp {
    template = "{\bord2}{\t(" [0]  ","  <[1] + [tmp, [csyll]]>  ",\bord5)}"[s];
}
If I layered 2 templats that use the same array value it will stay the same.
Draders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-09, 05:53   Link #28
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

It should be noted that I have nothing against KM3. It's a working way to create karaoke, and that's good. Since I haven't even tried it, I can't say anything about whether it's "better" than any other way to create karaoke or not. The only thing I have argued against is the above-mentioned comparison of apples and oranges.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote