AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2010-09-10, 00:09   Link #141
ksho

Someone posted a video showing off the Noble Phantasms in Fate/Extra:

Spoiler for Click for Spoilers:
ksho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 02:28   Link #142
Flinch
Onii-chan~

Send a message via AIM to Flinch Send a message via MSN to Flinch
Lancelot was always awesome, and always will be

'nuff said
Old 2010-09-10, 04:18   Link #143
ksho

I never said he wasn't.

But think of how much more awesome he would be if he had full use of all his abilities? Insta morph? Deadly...especially in the hands of a warrior hailed as the best warrior of his age. He can approach an opponent who's trying to keep his distance from Lancelot under the guise of an ally and take him out unawares

Either way, I supposed it had to be done....a Beserker that's not nerfed is a hack Beserker. Especially since all those summoned up till now tend to be the greatest/strongest warriors of their age/race.

EDIT: I forgot Arcrueid...but I'm not actually sure whether that counts as a nerf.

She loses her Marble Phantasm, but the payoff is that she can't hold back anymore.
ksho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 07:26   Link #144
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
I'd say Arc is actually more nerfed than the average Berserker; I mean, she loses all her crazy 'draw strength from Gaia' abilities, an EX-ranked ability described as something like, 'will receive limitless power from the moon', her Mystic Eyes are Nerfed, her Noble Phantasm goes from an ORT-like terraforming power to gravity control, and even her Mad Enhancement doesn't work right. Granted, this all seems to be because her dumbass Master turned on Mad Enhancement by force, so if he'd just sat back and shut up he could have actually had a borderline-invincible vampire queen. Some people...

Last edited by Moczo; 2010-09-10 at 08:27.
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 08:24   Link #145
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

....Who is the white knight with the blonde hair? What he said gives me a feeling I know his identity.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 08:26   Link #146
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
....Who is the white knight with the blonde hair? What he said gives me a feeling I know his identity.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2010-09-10, 08:36   Link #147
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Like clockwork. Thoroughly saddened he wasn't fighting against Lancelot or Arthur, but I suppose it is what it is.

Is Gawain a selectable Servant? (I think I should take this tot he Q&A thread?)
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 10:08   Link #148
Flinch
Onii-chan~

I'm thankful you can't use Gawain, as Gwalchmei (his name given to him by the Saxons for his absurd strength) would be broken. After doing the math, his strength is just below A++++, which is technically an EX. Yes, his strength is so great (nearly double that of Hercules), that it can not be measured. Please explain how that is even the slightest bit fair.

B=40
B+=80
80*3=240
?>200=EX

A=50
A++=150

240>150

If Hercules could hold up the world, Gawain could bench press it.

Scary part is that his stats make him a great servant normally, and broken as all hell as Gwalchmei. Not only did they give him a fake weapon (his sword was Galuth, meaning "Good Sword", and he also occasionally carried the Axe of the Green Knight, which was given to him after that ordeal; never was it mentioned that Excalibur had a sister sword, let alone Gawain being the one to have another sword), but Number of the Saints (which makes no sense as Gawain was a pagan) breaks him.

For those of you who were wondering, there were only 2 knights to use 2 swords: Sir Balin le Savage (aka, the Knight With Two Swords) and Sir Lancelot. Balin's second sword was the Adventurous Sword, which he used to accidentally inflict a fatal blow upon his brother, Balan. Merlin took the sword from Balin's corpse and gave it to Lancelot, knowing that Lancelot would use it instead of Arondite after everything went down, and that was the sword that cleaved into Gawain's head 3 times.
Old 2010-09-10, 10:28   Link #149
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
I'm thankful you can't use Gawain, as Gwalchmei (his name given to him by the Saxons for his absurd strength) would be broken. After doing the math, his strength is just below A++++, which is technically an EX. Yes, his strength is so great (nearly double that of Hercules), that it can not be measured. Please explain how that is even the slightest bit fair.
Well, it's a game and he isn't playable, so presumably it's like a puzzle boss. You have to figure out the weakness in the power to beat him (Namely, the time limit. I imagine that part of the plot is figuring out when he's beatable and figuring out a way to find and challenge him during that timeframe).

Quote:
never was it mentioned that Excalibur had a sister sword, let alone Gawain being the one to have another sword).
I believe that's the point; it's supposed to be 'Excalibur's Shadow', and Gawain intentionally had its legend buried so it wouldn't detract from Arthur's.
Old 2010-09-10, 10:45   Link #150
Flinch
Onii-chan~

It is mentioned that the sword's name was Galuth, and that it would burn any who were not pure, Gawain was the only one pure enough to hold the sword.

And Arthur's claim to fame was coming back from campaigns on a stretcher with a dead-man's-grip on the scabbard, for it stopped his wounds from BLEEDING, and he would've bled out on the battlefield without it (he was not the best warrior)
Old 2010-09-10, 11:01   Link #151
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Eh, my real point was that at least they do make the effort to explain why the sword he's using in-game wasn't part of his legend.

And as for Arthur, it's important to remember that may be true in real Arthurian myth, but the Arthur he's striving not to overshadow here is Arturia. She is indisputably a superb warrior on a par with any of her knights, which means the thing that sets her apart from them the most would be her famous sword, rather than her habit of surviving horrible wounds. It makes sense Gawain would be worried about overshadowing her in that case; if they're equally skilled in battle and have swords with the same name, what sets her above him? So he takes the hit to his fame by advertising a different sword, in order to make his king look more special.
Old 2010-09-10, 11:13   Link #152
Flinch
Onii-chan~

I could run with that, especially when you factor in how much greater the 3 best knights were than Arthur. Galahad I (Lancelot) is self explanatory; Tristram was as good as Lancelot in every way; and Gawain had a blessing which made him the strongest living thing of the day, able to overpower the mightiest of giants sans weapons. Arthur was a sharp drop below all three of them in capabilities, even with a sword that could cut through anything and a scabbard that healed his wounds. Hell, he almost DIES to Accollon because he doesn't have his scabbard in a 1v1 duel (mind you, Morgana had taken the scabbard so Accollon, a follower of Avalon, could succeed rightfully to the throne; Arthur took the scabbard back and killed Accollon, then Morganna took the scabbard and hurled it into a lake when she couldn't outrun her brother. He forgave her the same day)
Old 2010-09-22, 22:09   Link #153
Arvin

On the matter of Galatine, it could be a throwback to some of the French legends where Gawain is said to carry Excalibur as a form of reconciliation.
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-24, 00:47   Link #154
Flinch
Onii-chan~

reconciliation for what? He died on the shores of Britain after returning from fighting Lancelot in France. There was no need to reconcile anything, as he technically never broke chivalry (avenging the murder of your family, as all the males in his family were killed by Lancelot). And he was bedridden, then died as his wounds opened up.

King Lot Lothlain of Orkney - Father of Gawain Lothlain, killed by Lancelot at... Baston Hill I believe was the location.

Sir Agravain Lothlain - 2nd son of Lot, younger brother to Gawain, killed by Lancelot as he and 11 other knights tried to expose Lancelot and Guinevere's affair (only Mordred survived that encounter)

Sir Gareth Lothlain - 3rd son of Lot, younger brother to Gawain, killed while unarmed and attending the burning of Guinevere for adultery (one of the many knights Lancelot cut down to save her)

Sir Gaheris Lothlain - 4th son of Lot, younger brother to Gawain, also killed like Gareth, as the two were standing next to each other. Saddest part was that Gaheris idolized Lancelot like a god.

Gaheris' death in particular was what pushed Gawain over the edge to seek justice and retribution, while Agravain was a douche who Gawain couldn't have cared less about.
Old 2010-10-07, 12:44   Link #155
Nerroth
NePoi!

A new 4koma release, on the 25th of October.

Old 2010-10-22, 00:30   Link #156
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

I heard Aoko and Touko met in Fate/Extra. What were the circumstances?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 09:58   Link #157
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
That looks pretty good.

Anyone hear anything about an English release at all?
Old 2010-11-04, 12:35   Link #158
Nerroth
NePoi!

Time will tell.

Oh, there's an ongoing translation thread for the Fate/the Fact booklet over on Beast's Lair; it's worth checking out if you want to get a better insight into things as they stand by 2032.
Old 2010-11-24, 16:03   Link #159
Nerroth
NePoi!

Some pretty interesting news from the recent imageepoch conference...
Old 2010-11-28, 21:44   Link #160
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Damn, I randomly drifted in out of RPG curiosity and found myself in the midst of Arthurian-legend discussion!

Quote:
Scary part is that his stats make him a great servant normally, and broken as all hell as Gwalchmei. Not only did they give him a fake weapon (his sword was Galuth, meaning "Good Sword", and he also occasionally carried the Axe of the Green Knight, which was given to him after that ordeal; never was it mentioned that Excalibur had a sister sword, let alone Gawain being the one to have another sword), but Number of the Saints (which makes no sense as Gawain was a pagan) breaks him.

For those of you who were wondering, there were only 2 knights to use 2 swords: Sir Balin le Savage (aka, the Knight With Two Swords) and Sir Lancelot. Balin's second sword was the Adventurous Sword, which he used to accidentally inflict a fatal blow upon his brother, Balan. Merlin took the sword from Balin's corpse and gave it to Lancelot, knowing that Lancelot would use it instead of Arondite after everything went down, and that was the sword that cleaved into Gawain's head 3 times.
Hm...I presume they completely ignore the part about how his strength was supposed to get greater before noon and wane afterwards?

Oh, and the Adventurous Sword was also used by Galahad in between Balin and Lancelot; he arrived at Camelot with a scabbard but no sword, and the sword eventually drifted down the river in a block of stone where Merlin had placed it after Balin and Balan's deaths (is it weird that I find the floating rock the strangest part of that story?). As was typical for Galahad, he was the only man who could use the sword without incurring its curse (he also picked up the Adventurous Shield later in the Grail Quest, which only he could bear without an angelic knight appearing and kicking the shield-bearer's ass); he later traded it in for the Sword of Strange Girdles. But I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvin View Post
On the matter of Galatine, it could be a throwback to some of the French legends where Gawain is said to carry Excalibur as a form of reconciliation.
*nod* Also, Gawain was said to wield Galatine (the Sword in the Stone) after Arthur received Excalibur (hm, I wonder who put Galatine back together. Merlin?), but you all know that.

Quote:
Gaheris' death in particular was what pushed Gawain over the edge to seek justice and retribution, while Agravain was a douche who Gawain couldn't have cared less about.
Gareth's, not Gaheris's (Gareth being the one genuinely heroic knight in the Orkney bunch, the one whom Malory always makes sure to note he wasn't involved whenever the Orkneys were out and about murdering innocent people, usually King Pellinore and the other members of the de Gales family. Gaheris was a madman who, among other things, murdered their mother Morgause for being Sir Lamorak's lover). But it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, considering they were, as you note, both part of the unarmed honor guard at Guinevere's execution that Lance cut down during the rescue.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ps vita, psp