AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Old 2008-02-06, 02:02   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Character Discussion - Shinichiro's mother

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Shinichiro's mother related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all true tears fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode talk, there are already threads serving that purpose.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

Also, this character may not exactly be liked by everyone. While you might criticize her as much as you want, remember that there's always a way to express your feelings without resorting to an excessively colorful language.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animesuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 05:13   Link #2
cloudninja

Thoughts on the mother. Contains some spoilers. Be warned.

We know she's the source of tension and friction within the household. Most of what I remember of her scenes in the show is that she has an ongoing issue with Shinichiro which causes him to avoid her and that she almost seems to enjoy harassing Hiromi.

Spoiler for thoughts on shin's mother, assumes you are up to date on episodes:

Last edited by cloudninja; 2008-02-06 at 09:20. Reason: fixed a minor typo
cloudninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 07:38   Link #3
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

So that I don't break any of the rules, I can't really post in this thread.... But cloudninja's post is great and covers a lot of my thoughts about the wench in a well written and intelligent way
Old 2008-02-06, 07:42   Link #4
billbrown
Failing Silent Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudninja View Post
We know she's the source of tension and friction within the household. Most of what I remember of her scenes in the show is that she has an ongoing issue with Shinichiro which causes him to avoid her and that she almost seems to enjoy harassing Hiromi.

Spoiler for thoughts on shin's mother, assumes you are up to date on episodes:
Spoiler:
billbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 12:18   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Spoiler for theory on relationships between parents of Shinichiro and Hiromi:
Excellent, excellent well thoughtout theory. I see this being possible. Although the overall gist of the theory has been suggested many times, you actually compared it to something from the present and took me along with it. Bonus points.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 19:58   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

cloudninja's theory makes the most sense to me (she was in love with Hiromi's father), but billbrown's version of the opposing theory is also possible (Shin's father used to love Hiromi's mother, but Hiromi isn't their child).

What I want to say is that I can feel some sympathy for her. Imagine that you have been living more-or-less happily with your husband and beloved son for 14 years, then the child of this person who wronged you (in your mind) is foisted upon you, without you being able to do anything about it. You see your son drifting away from you, with his father encouraging him (in your eyes), and now this outside girl comes in to make the situation even worse.

She is apparently not being fair to Hiromi, but I can at least understand why she might feel as she does. It appears that she and her husband don't necessarily get along all that well, and the only light left in her life is her son, and the possibility that he might succeed to the business. But now he is rebelling and wanting to be, of all things, an artist. And your effing husband even seems to be encouraging it. How depressing and frustrating that all must be for a capable woman who has had to live her life through her men. One more thing: I wonder if the sake brewery comes from her family, and Shin's father married into it. So she really wants her son to come into the business and continue her family's involvement.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 21:33   Link #7
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
One more thing: I wonder if the sake brewery comes from her family, and Shin's father married into it. So she really wants her son to come into the business and continue her family's involvement.
IIRC, we do see Shin's dad working in the brewery at least once, while his mom is always seen doing housework. Also, when they were looking at the photoalbums, that young worker calls Shin's dad "oyaji", which probably implies a pretty close working relationship in the family business.

I don't think the sake brewery needs to be from her family for her to care a lot that Shin inherits it. If you look at the setting, it's pretty rural. The high school is called "mugiha", I'm assuming "mugi" as in 麦 (barley). Shin is also practicing rural dance. Generally, people living there are more traditional. Given that Shin is their only son, it's natural that she'd want him to continue the family business. I think it's much more likely she's just one of those old-fashioned people, especially given the setting of True Tears.

To go along with cloudninja's theory, Shin's mom says, "You're on her side too, aren't you?" Implying that the dad also supports Hiromi. Shin's dad is also caught saying that Hiromi is their daughter now too, just like how Shin is their son. It's strange to accept someone else's kid so easily, isn't it? Unless there is indeed a connection.
Old 2008-02-06, 21:46   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I like cloudninja's version because it doesn't immediately jump to incest like it would make the anime more interesting or something. And to tripperazn, I agree that there has to be some connection, but I think cloudninja's version gives a strong enough connection although the other version is of course, very possible.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 11:56   Link #9
cloudninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
To go along with cloudninja's theory, Shin's mom says, "You're on her side too, aren't you?" Implying that the dad also supports Hiromi. Shin's dad is also caught saying that Hiromi is their daughter now too, just like how Shin is their son. It's strange to accept someone else's kid so easily, isn't it? Unless there is indeed a connection.
Theory below was based on first 5 episodes. Episode 6 had a revelation that changes things but still did'nt explain the behavior of the mother towards the father, the lack of noticeable hostility. I was looking for signs of aggression between the parents to indicate a past affair.
Spoiler for somewhat lengthy discussion on some of my thoughts on the Nakagami family dynamics and how it relates to the mother based on first 5 episodes. Part theory, part explanation.:

Last edited by cloudninja; 2008-02-10 at 11:29.
Old 2008-02-07, 14:55   Link #10
jaisrh

Quote:
Spoiler for somewhat lengthy discussion on some of my thoughts on the Nakagami family dynamics and how it relates to the mother based on first 5 episodes. Part theory, part explanation.:
Nice post despite its length. Some good analysis and insight there that helped me see a few things I did'nt notice before.

Spoiler:
jaisrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-08, 08:22   Link #11
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I like cloudninja's version because it doesn't immediately jump to incest like it would make the anime more interesting or something. And to tripperazn, I agree that there has to be some connection, but I think cloudninja's version gives a strong enough connection although the other version is of course, very possible.
yes. The events that are happening may lead us to a conclusion that is an incestous one, but then again, this may be another curve ball by the staff to throw us off on what the real deal is.

This actually reminds me of myself; yourself

Spoiler for myself;yourself:
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 15:26   Link #12
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Now that we have a clearer idea of why the Shinmother is reacting as she is, after episode 6, can we forgive her a bit more? She is not reacting well to the situation, but it is a terrible situation to have to deal with.

To her, Hiromi is a living embodiment of her own failure, rejection, and shame, a constant reminder of her husband's unfaithfulness to her. And her husband demands that she treat Hiromi as her own. That would be nice, but it isn't so easy.

In any case, Takahashi Rieko is doing a great job with the character. I've posted a bit about Takahashi-san over in the voice-acting thread.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-02-11 at 16:06.
Old 2008-02-11, 22:22   Link #13
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Now that we have a clearer idea of why the Shinmother is reacting as she is, after episode 6, can we forgive her a bit more? She is not reacting well to the situation, but it is a terrible situation to have to deal with.

To her, Hiromi is a living embodiment of her own failure, rejection, and shame, a constant reminder of her husband's unfaithfulness to her. And her husband demands that she treat Hiromi as her own. That would be nice, but it isn't so easy.

In any case, Takahashi Rieko is doing a great job with the character. I've posted a bit about Takahashi-san over in the voice-acting thread.
I feel sorry for the mother I originally felt kind of angry because of the way that she treated Hiromi, but after finding out the reason why she hates Hiromi. I can't really say I hate her, I still don't think that way she treats Hiromi is fair because Hiromi had nothing to do with the affair, but I can't really say it's all her fault, a lot off people might say they'd act differently if they were in her situation, but the truth of the matter is most people would probably act similar to her, though maybe be to a simpler extent.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 21:34   Link #14
DanielSong39

After seeing Hiromi weave her magic in the past episodes, Shin's mother is starting to become increasingly sympathetic... it may have been a self-fulfilling prophecy, but Hiromi is surely living up to her mother's legacy...

If it turns out that Shin's father was lying about the whole affair I may even become one of her fans.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-04, 13:52   Link #15
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

You know what would be truely amusing ? Shinchi actually isnt their real son , and Hiromi is. So this will make them not real sibling. I think based on her holding her purse hard there is something she isnt actually telling them. Or maybe only part of their story was wrong. Maybe actaully Hiromi is their kid. I mean she mentioned something about her wife being Hiromi's dad right? maybe She herself is her mother.
Old 2008-03-06, 11:50   Link #16
w00tness
zetsuboushita...

Actually regarding the purse scene.. Notice that it is in response to Hiromi asing if it was a lie. I think she is gripping it because she has to admit that she told Hiromi a lie out of spite, and people dont usually like admitting that they were spiteful, even to themselves. Maybe she felt ashamed at her actions thus far, thats how I see it.
w00tness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-06, 13:10   Link #17
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tness View Post
Actually regarding the purse scene.. Notice that it is in response to Hiromi asing if it was a lie. I think she is gripping it because she has to admit that she told Hiromi a lie out of spite, and people dont usually like admitting that they were spiteful, even to themselves. Maybe she felt ashamed at her actions thus far, thats how I see it.
I felt that it was more that she could see Hiromi realizing that it was a lie and so Shin was no longer off-limits for her, and therefore Shin's mother gripped her purse in fear of losing her son to her enemy's daughter. I think that's her greatest fear, and it was to avoid that that she told the lie in the first place. I still wonder just how much of a lie it was, and what bit of truth underlay it.
Old 2008-03-13, 21:00   Link #18
FuzzyWuzzy

She is hot.
I can see it in a time skip, with her hair down.
With nice clothes and sexy dress.
Mmmm!
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 09:32   Link #19
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^

She isn't an "oba-san" yet, but the thought of Shinichiro's mother as a milf made me laugh out loud.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-15, 14:34   Link #20
cloudninja

Since she looks very different with makeup and with her hair done in a different style I'm not surprised that a few guys thought that Kanae could look "hot". Definitely looks different compared to the pic at the top of the page that shows her having a mean look.