Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-30, 14:09   Link #1
Marsch

Return to anime

Hi there

I haven't watch anime for about 7 years i think, and recently i have been searching again, reading reviews and suggestions, but sadly i can't find the right series that holds my attention long enough...

Before i would settle for the idea that i have grown out of anime, i thought i'll ask you guys here first.

Not sure what i am looking for, and absolutely no idea of what good anime has come out recently, i liked different genres of anime
I can tell you some series i have enjoyed very very much.

maybe someone could tell me which other anime has the same story telling quality as these?

Full metal alchemist
Elfen lied
Eureka Seven
Fate/stay night
Ah my goddess
Chrono Crusade
Noein

thanks!
Old 2011-06-30, 14:34   Link #2
Elegance

Looks like you like a hint of Romance with some other genres.
Try Demon King Daimao
Freezing
I loved Eureka seven. Im not sure if there is a anime with a good romance development but added genres in it.
Maybe Cross Game. A very slowly relationship build up and its 50 eps like Eureka
Highschool of the dead - i loved this one and i never got bored of it. It is a thriller.
Full Metal Alchemist is with Alchemy
While D gray man is with Excorcist
Angel Beats will make u laugh in the first episodes and then starts to get emotion near the end.
Fate Stay Night is like a tournament
Maybe Sekirei but its still pretty different.
Old 2011-06-30, 17:04   Link #3
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Tiger & Bunny

These are all good shows.
Old 2011-06-30, 18:04   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Grr... I hate when I've typed in a long reply then accidentally lose it. I'm going to resort to just listing a bunch of titles. Most of these have complex plots and mature characters. If you'd like a more detailed opinion about any of them, just ask.

Seriei no Moribito
Kemono no Sou-ja Erin (same author as Moribito)
Junni Kokuki
Monster
Dennou Coil (If you liked Noein, you should like this.)
Nodame Cantabile
Welcome to the NHK!
Oh! Edo Rocket (Yes, Sora looks a lot like Eureka.)
Baccano
House of Five Leaves
Bakeneko and its sequel Mononoke
Claymore
Kurenai

I've largely limited my recommendations to shows released between 2006 and 2009. You'll get more than enough recommendations for recent series like Puella Magi Madoka Magica from the other denizens at AnimeSuki.
Old 2011-06-30, 22:57   Link #5
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
I'm going to second Claymore

If you are looking for a romance type show you might want to check out
Vampire Knight and its sequal

If you are looking for action
Speed Grapher came out in 2005 so maybe you saw it...

I'm not sure when Clannad came out but its a great show my wife even loved it was the first anime she watched and she made me buy her the whole show and Clannad After Story..... Now she is watching Kenshin.... LOL...

Bleach is a good anime maybe you started watching it before you left anime... but it just keeps going its kind of like the song that will not end......... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4240

I saw someone recommend freezing i would check it out first before you watch it...............

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Last edited by NervZero; 2011-07-01 at 04:08.
Old 2011-07-01, 06:33   Link #6
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'll second everything SeijiSensei mentioned

I'll just add Death Note
Old 2011-07-01, 08:12   Link #7
Marsch

hi guys, thanks! This is highly appreciated.

Wow so much for me to check out! Don't know where to start....

My girlfriend is not familiar with anime, and i need to pick a good one to watch together and convince her how suprisingly great a good anime series can be ;-)

Oh! Edo Rocket is in the lines of Eureka seven? because i really loved this series, the character developement was really good.

i'm reading about Claymore , Steins;Gate and Highschool of the dead right now!

Mononoke has a prequel????! cool! :-)

i'll definitely let you know which one made it!

wish you all a fantastic weekend!

:-)
Old 2011-07-01, 09:50   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsch View Post
Oh! Edo Rocket is in the lines of Eureka seven? because i really loved this series, the character developement was really good.
No. Rocket has a number of anime in-jokes, one of which is Sora's similarity in appearance to Eureka. I wouldn't suggest this as a starting point for someone unfamiliar with anime; it's exceptionally off-beat. For instance, here's a picture of most of the main cast:

Click image to enlarge.

Since we don't have much information on your girlfriend's tastes, I'd suggest Moribito or Nodame Cantabile. These are both shows that someone unfamiliar with anime might relate to. Moribito has a very impressive heroine; Nodame is a ditz, but a very talented one. Moribito is also streamed at ANN, though only with dubs and ads.

Usually I find it easier to introduce newcomers to anime by watching a movie. Mononoke Hime, Millenium Actress, and Summer Wars are all good bets in a variety of genres. You might also take a look at this thread.

Saiunkoku Monogatari would have made my list, too, but it's no longer being distributed in Region 1. Other stories with strong, though young, heroines and solid character development include Daughter of Twenty Faces and Shion no Ou. Both have some intense violence in a couple of places, if that matters. Claymore and Baccano have a lot more.

Natsume Yuujinchou or Cross Game are other possibilities. Both are streamed with subtitles.

Edit: Looked at the thread I cited above and saw a recommendation for REC, which I'd endorse. It's short, too. The two of you could watch the whole thing in a evening.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-07-01 at 10:24.
Old 2011-07-04, 04:26   Link #9
Marsch

reading about Moribito and Baccano, and just watch the trailers... it think we will start with these two.. anyone some more thoughts about these two series?

don't think highschool of dead will make it to the list... seems an overdose of sensation... but perhaps at the right moment it might be just entertaining,...

trailer of Freezing is a bit confusing, not sure what to expect.

Death Note, this should be classic, right? heard a lot of good recommendations about this one too
Old 2011-07-04, 09:02   Link #10
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsch View Post
reading about Moribito and Baccano, and just watch the trailers... it think we will start with these two.. anyone some more thoughts about these two series?
They're among the finest works in the medium. You'll not regret seeing them. While I'm at it, let me second everything Seiji-sensei listed.

But it's courtesy to throw in a recommendation myself, and you seem to like the sort of anime that has a story to tell and an adventure to take you on a ride for, so how about...

Samurai Champloo - From the Director of Cowboy Bebop, which says it all (you have seen Bebop, right?).

Michiko to Hatchin - high production values, colorful background (Brazil!), and the same "grand story" sort of feeling as your examples FMA, Noein, and Eureka 7, albeit, be warned, it can be angsty at parts, but so was E7, and it can be uneven, but so was Noein.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - rather different in tone from your fav'd series (it's "GAR"), but it's also a series that takes you on a grand ride. Gainax, if that means anything to you.

Gankutsuou - how does a futuristic sci-fi adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo sounds to you? If it sounds like a disaster, be prepared to be surprised, this is by far Gonzo's best work. It's like the studio put the awesomeness of a decade's worth of shows in a single work and forgot to leave some for the rest.

Last edited by Irenicus; 2011-07-04 at 09:12.
Old 2011-07-04, 13:32   Link #11
User68604
Disabled By Request

before nething i would start with marathoning clannad + after story

then higurashi
Old 2011-07-05, 19:47   Link #12
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Madoka Magica
Cross Game
Katanagatari
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
(worth watching even if you saw the first version)
Shiki
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
+ Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody

Some older ones:

Crest of the Stars
Neon Genesis Evangelion + End of Evangelion
Maison Ikkoku

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-10, 18:37   Link #13
Kerspunkle

If your looking for a good story, I'd recommend Durarara! and Eden of the East. They both have great plots and interesting characters.
Old 2011-07-10, 23:19   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
If you are looking for one to watch with a girlfriend I'd suggest Crest of the Stars, and possibly Madoka Magica.

If she's ever watched any Magical Girl type stuff then she'll probably find Madoka interesting.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-07-11, 02:35   Link #15
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
Highschool of the dead zombie big breasted woman combination end of the world anime....

Dog days is good

Beelzebub you love that delinquent boy become father of prince of demon who mother is a wet nurse while he harness the powers from demon alot of action and comedy as well/
Old 2011-07-14, 03:50   Link #16
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
HOTD is good if you like fanservices and zombies, so meh.

Death Note and D.Grayman(esp Season 2)
Those two definitely hit it around the world, awesome series to watch time and time again

I do second TTGL as well. Totally over the top mad action, but some really moving scenes as well, lots of fun. I've never seen a recent anime that made grown men cry xD

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2011-07-27, 02:39   Link #17
Marsch

Hi guys

Thank you so much for the insane amount of recommendations... it's getting endless.

I thought I'd keep you updated about our choice.

We are now watching Seriei no Moribito we are at about half the series.
We are enjoying this so much! Its great in many ways and i feel it will become one of my all-time favorites! The dialogues are intriguing and really good, the slow pace of events doesn't bother me at all. Thanks for this suggestion!!

I also gave Claymore a shot, but we quickly were dissapointed about the contrast of style and approach in story-telling, Claymore seemed a bit "superficial" (not sure about choice of word...) in comparisation to Moribito

Gurren lagann is indeed a very exeptional and very good series, loved the insanity and originality in this one!

thank you very much!
Closed Thread