AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2012-07-07, 03:06   Link #2121
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Finished the Malazan Saga.

Am currently re-reading the The Milieu Trilogy by Julian May. This series has been my comfort books, much like chocolate might be someone's comfort food.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-07, 15:54   Link #2122
BradleySmith
*IT Support

Runescape betrayal at falador

Check me out!
BradleySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 15:20   Link #2123
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Falcondance - Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Old 2012-07-09, 16:34   Link #2124
Dextro
He Without a Title

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
Old 2012-07-09, 17:54   Link #2125
Alchemist007
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Finished Wicked Lovely, now on Ink Exchange (the sequel).
Finished that, now on Fragile Eternity (next sequel).
Old 2012-07-09, 20:43   Link #2126
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Great Expectations and Bleak House by Charles Dickens.
Old 2012-07-10, 06:20   Link #2127
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

The Elenium Trilogy by David Eddings. I went in blind on this, not having heard much of it, and though I dislike his way of writing, it had some of the best characters in a while. Really enjoyed it and many laughs were had.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-10, 09:24   Link #2128
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Fifty Shades of Grey. Might I add it's a very naughty read. It's not a book I will care to read twice.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 06:47   Link #2129
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I bought " Lord of The Flies " by William Golding last month, and I was so captivated by it I just had to read it again. I was disturbed by Ralph's loss of innocence. Loss of innocence is one of the main themes of this novel, and the way William Golding depicts this through the experience and changes the boys go through in the island is tragic and disturbing. I already foresaw Jack's savageness, so his actions in the later chapters did not bother me much. But Ralph. Poor Ralph.

In the beginning of the novel, Ralph is a confident and optimistic boy. He may seem a bit too carefree as the first chapter sees him wandering around the island and marvelling at almost everything. He is confident that they will be rescued, and does everything in his power to return them to civilization. While awaiting rescue, he cheerfully enjoys the island’s beauties. With the conch, he wields a certain authority and is venerated by the group. He is also elected as the leader. In short, with his position and his priority of their rescue, the group of boys’ stay on the island does not seem to be long.

However, over the course of the story, one could sense that Ralph is beginning to change. As the result of the boys’ shift in priority, Ralph is forced to become more mature. As a leader, he feels it is his responsibility to look out for the group and remind them of their priority; rescue. He is constantly advocating the fire and the conch shell, even if few listen to his commands. Because of his responsibility as a leader and also subsequent tragic events, he is no longer cheerful and optimistic. He realizes he can no longer play around. Ralph’s strong desire to return to civilization and Jack and his group’s conflicting view force him think and work harder than before. He has become quite despondent. His dull and uninspired speech in chapter 8 illustrates his mood.

While Ralph’s maturity grows, his confidence begins to shrink. In the beginning of chapter 5, he starts to question his leadership, because Jack’s action is a sort of rebellion that has never happened before. For instance, he tells himself that he is not a great thinker like Piggy. Later in the chapter, he is afraid to call after Jack and the rest who run off to the beach halfway during the meeting for fear of losing his position forever if they ignore him. Compared to before, he is always assured of his position and the power of the conch. At the end of chapter 5, that assurance begins to diminish. At this point, I felt sorry for him. In subsequent chapters, Ralph begins to rely more on Piggy for his advices as his insecurity as a leader grows and he sees Piggy as a support. At one point, he is even tempted to join Jack’s group. Although it is only a brief thought, it is evident that Ralph, to a great extent has lost faith in his leadership and is quite intimidated by Jack’s power.

Although Ralph does not outwardly descend to savagery, it is hinted that he may be one if he stays longer on the island. In chapter 7, he partakes in the re-enactment of the boar killing. He quickly recovers from the euphoria of “landing a hit” on the boar, but this event shows a slight crack in his civilized behaviour. He further degrades into savagery in chapter 9, as he is one of the boys who are involved in Simon’s death. He uses force in chapter 11 to deal with Jack. Unlike before, he would have negotiated and stress to make them see his point of view. Finally, he is forced to act like a savage in chapter 12. He is being hunted like an animal, and therefore he must act like one too. Ralph is just civilized enough to cry for the loss of his civilization when the naval officer arrives at the island. This last part nearly got me in tears. A cruel end to his innocence.
The last time I read that book was a few years ago, back when we had to analyse it for English class back in high school. I still find it to be a gripping story, recalling the vast amount of symbolism within throughout it all- Ralph, Piggy, Jack, the conch... It really made me think about the darker side of humanity.

Unfortunately, I haven't read many books lately, if at all (I guess books don't interest me that much). Coincidentally, with Hyouka airing at the moment, I came across the first issue of the Agatha Christie Book Collection magazine, featuring "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" (the actual book, with the cover replicating the first UK edition), which I hope to finish reading soon.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:04   Link #2130
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
The last time I read that book was a few years ago, back when we had to analyse it for English class back in high school. I still find it to be a gripping story, recalling the vast amount of symbolism within throughout it all- Ralph, Piggy, Jack, the conch... It really made me think about the darker side of humanity.

Unfortunately, I haven't read many books lately, if at all (I guess books don't interest me that much). Coincidentally, with Hyouka airing at the moment, I came across the first issue of the Agatha Christie Book Collection magazine, featuring "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd" (the actual book, with the cover replicating the first UK edition), which I hope to finish reading soon.
Oh yes, it definitely makes one ponder about the darker side of humanity. The book sort of forces you into thinking, yeah? It's downright depressing but if you think hard about it, when it comes to survival of the fittest, the descent to savagery is very much possible.

Hoho, The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Not going to spoil or anything, but this is one of Agatha Christie's best books, along with And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express.

Old 2012-07-12, 13:56   Link #2131
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm going through my Barnes & Noble Classics collection again, discovering the joys of Sherlock Holmes and Aesop's Fables.
Old 2012-07-12, 14:00   Link #2132
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
I'm going through my Barnes & Noble Classics collection again, discovering the joys of Sherlock Holmes and Aesop's Fables.
I've just finished The Return of Sherlock Holmes recently and I just can't seem to get enough of the stories. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has truly created one of the most interesting series in fiction imho.
Old 2012-07-12, 14:36   Link #2133
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I've just finished The Return of Sherlock Holmes recently and I just can't seem to get enough of the stories. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has truly created one of the most interesting series in fiction imho.
They sure have a strong air to them, albeit being quite simple compared to what we consider "mystery" nowadays, with all of the twists and turns of the mind.

Personally, I'm enjoying Aesop's Fables even more at the moment. Sometimes the simplest of things in life provide the most enjoyment.
Old 2012-07-12, 18:14   Link #2134
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
They sure have a strong air to them, albeit being quite simple compared to what we consider "mystery" nowadays, with all of the twists and turns of the mind.

Personally, I'm enjoying Aesop's Fables even more at the moment. Sometimes the simplest of things in life provide the most enjoyment.
They are indeed pretty simple stories but that's part of the charm. It makes them quite easy to read while still being very entertaining. The simple things really are some of the most enjoyable stuff one can partake in.
Old 2012-07-14, 00:43   Link #2135
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Finished the 9th kingdom, book #1 of the Lightstone series. I found it very odd, because while it starts out as a normal fantasy, setting countries and defining the characters, taking a lot of time in seemingly unnecessary expansions of family trees etc., once the actual plot kicks in, things speed up too much; enough to finish the whole story in 6 chapters of the next book. Anyway, fun read.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 00:50   Link #2136
dredmorte

Bought the whole A Song Of Ice And Fire series available thus far. Finished Game of Thrones and finishing Clash of Kings now.

It was worth every cent. Even though I had watched both seasons, i enjoyed the read and I'm sure I'll like even more the next books. It's only a pity I glimpsed over so many god dam spoilers in the internet
dredmorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-27, 13:23   Link #2137
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

i have started reading a new novel called The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
even though i have just read the prologue the book is totally exciting, and the way it's written is great
Old 2012-07-27, 14:01   Link #2138
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Gargantua by Rabelais, not something I would suggest to someone tha is learning french, as it's writen in 16's century old french.
Old 2012-08-22, 09:09   Link #2139
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

struggling through 50 shades of grey. i can't help but laugh every few paragraphs. i feel bad for the female gender if this is how insecure they really are.. haha. but at the same time, i can see why they would find it so intriguing.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-22, 11:00   Link #2140
MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
struggling through 50 shades of grey. i can't help but laugh every few paragraphs. i feel bad for the female gender if this is how insecure they really are.. haha. but at the same time, i can see why they would find it so intriguing.
I'm female and even I must say it's not a very interesting read. Naughty yes, but "groundbreaking" no.

Tags
books