Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-09-01, 23:33   Link #1141
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Chaos its a massive case of to each his own im not gonna argue further

Fine to each his own, though I have to wonder what does it mean if one judge base solely on someone's physical appearance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
The problem with the prevalence of Nene, Goemon, Ichiyo (not Hanbei 14, but drawn like 9-10) compared to Nobuna, Kutsuie, Mitsuhide is that the former group has no backstory, act as action devices. Their characters are reduced to moe additions without any real personality except pumping Saru's harem count. That's not always the case with lolis, there are many examples that they act (occasionally are) older, but not in this anime...

Anyway, maybe 2-3 good (story-wise) episodes raised my expectations into regarding this anime subject to non-LULZ criticism
I don't get it, why the mentality of segregating characters base on their age and physical appearance? Most of the cast shown so far don't have backstory exposed, save for Nobuna and very recently Mitsuhide. So why is that an issue?

And if you say they only serve as an 'action device', why not include Katsuie and Nagahide? And what does 'real' personality even mean? Is there a 'fake' personality ? Are the more physically mature girls not moe enough?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 23:44   Link #1142
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

I did not include Katsuie because her character was integral in the first episode, less so after the loli invasion. Nagahide, I did not mention because she is part of the loli preblem, for the same reason I made an exception for Hanbei, the episode she was introduced was quite interesting, but then begun looking and acting 5 years younger.

Until now only Saru, Nobuna, Mitsuhide, Katsuie, Dousan, Yoshitatsu, and to a lesser extent Hanbei and Asai feel like real character (backstory, motivation, development, personality), the rest of the cast either is pure ecchi/moe fodder or plot device.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 01:00   Link #1143
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
I did not include Katsuie because her character was integral in the first episode, less so after the loli invasion. Nagahide, I did not mention because she is part of the loli preblem, for the same reason I made an exception for Hanbei, the episode she was introduced was quite interesting, but then begun looking and acting 5 years younger.

Until now only Saru, Nobuna, Mitsuhide, Katsuie, Dousan, Yoshitatsu, and to a lesser extent Hanbei and Asai feel like real character (backstory, motivation, development, personality), the rest of the cast either is pure ecchi/moe fodder or plot device.

Are you telling me you don't think Nagahide, Goemon and Inuchiyo have personalities even after watching 8 episodes? Surely you must have caught on to something by the third episode, latest. As for motivation- pretty much most of the cast are fiercely loyal to either Nobuna or Saru or both and would do anything for them to achieve their dreams- Nagahide, Goemon and Inochiyo are no exception. And they all have proven it many times. If you can accept Katsuie and Saru's loyalty, why not the others?

I honestly haven't seen much backstory save for Nobuna and Mitsuhide (recent), but that's the benefit of having a series base on real historical characters- there's not much else needed to be told if your target audience already know what to expect. Though in this case, the audience knows the past and the very likely future of those characters.

To sum it up; while it may not be your 'full package', I can't in good faith think of them as 'fake characters'.... Side characters maybe, but doesn't make them any less 'real' than Sagara and Nobuna.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-09-02 at 04:06.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 04:46   Link #1144
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't get it, why the mentality of segregating characters base on their age and physical appearance? Most of the cast shown so far don't have backstory exposed, save for Nobuna and very recently Mitsuhide. So why is that an issue?
They're too young to have a backstory to begin with. At least the older characters can have a backstory. Secondly, because they're "children" they have set in stone personalities, and the "do no wrong" attitude preset. There's no point to their dialog since it's never going to be anything beyond fluff and sugar. When it's pushed into "adult-like" behaviour the fact they're children just rubs me the wrong way, like this is some fanservice for pedos (ie. the whole "but they're mature" crap). So it's a lose-lose situations either way when they become "serious business" in the show.
Old 2012-09-02, 07:03   Link #1145
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Felix covered me.

Also I am not supporting that's wrong in any way to like the lolis, just stated why I and others don't in this anime.
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 11:23   Link #1146
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Also I am not supporting that's wrong in any way to like the lolis, just stated why I and others don't in this anime.
(same for me)
Old 2012-09-02, 11:52   Link #1147
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Enough prattle; episode 9.

Spoiler for Not going to say much:

EDIT: And it's out now.

EDIT 2: Right.

Spoiler for Breakdown of episode as I watch:

Now, if you will excuse me for this... (hopefully )

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----

Last edited by Master Assassin; 2012-09-02 at 13:20.
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:31   Link #1148
Midonin
Last Engage

Sengoku (Past) 09 - The History That Wasn't Written

So Yoshiharu is becoming acutely aware of the fact that he's rewriting the history books, and that Honnoji is coming if he doesn't do anything about it. Awareness is the first step, but there's no guarantee. I'm surprised his cell phone still has some charge left in it after all this while; once again, a Zenjibou is foiled by circumstances they don't quite understand.

The battle between Hisahide and Mitushide was the most interesting part of the episode. When Hisahide started doing that boob-touch, and then followed it up with "I'm going to kill you", that was a little creepy. The appearance of the reinforcements afterwards was pretty heartwarming. And bouncy. But the highlight of the scene was Bontenmaru/Masamune and her 中二病ness. That's the kind of heroism I like to see - showy.

I think next week has something to do with hot springs, but the title suggests it's not all fun and fanservice.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:38   Link #1149
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 9:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:43   Link #1150
Mephos

Holy crap this episode was tense but it resolved itself nicely.
Mephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 13:55   Link #1151
Sakanaka Shouko

Good to see Akechi finally realizing why what she did was wrong and apologizing. Her fight with Hisahide was pretty intense. Yoshimoto was cute as always and it was nice to see Bontenmaru again.

I'm looking forward to the next episode, looks like there will be even more action than today's episode.
Old 2012-09-02, 14:25   Link #1152
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Ah, we see how dangerous deception in war can be. Excellent episode, we got some back story, Drama, and action. Subtle fan service was included, mix with something well off. Can't wait for the next episode, which happened to be hot springs.
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 14:26   Link #1153
ookamigirl

They sure were enjoying their rainy day ^^
Especially now that things are going Nobuna's way.
Well, that seemed to be subjected to change.
On top of that Yoshiharu got himself kidnapped.
Luckily things turned out rather well considering the situation.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 14:32   Link #1154
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Does anyone feel that Nobuna's mother is kind of..............(can't find a elegant and gentle way of saying it) because she saved Owari Clan and the people yet her mother is worried about how she dresses when she comes to see her.
Old 2012-09-02, 15:02   Link #1155
Kyuu
=^^=

Alright. Nobuna will be more than ready for some Monkey babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperxKingx
Ah, we see how dangerous deception in war can be.
Be out of position, and consider yourself screwed. Oh the many times this had happened in my Starcraft games...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 15:29   Link #1156
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Alright. Nobuna will be more than ready for some Monkey babies.

Be out of position, and consider yourself screwed. Oh the many times this had happened in my Starcraft games...
Ah, I do too, that is why I stick to First Person Shooters.

Back to topic, did they have rifle scopes back then in the Sengoku Era?
Old 2012-09-02, 15:31   Link #1157
Sumeragi
Banned

Experimental, yes. Effective? In the mid 19th century.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 15:33   Link #1158
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

... Did they even have rifles? (with, well, rifling, I mean.)

Quick look at Wikipedia: that scope's a century early. And let's not think about the geography.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 15:36   Link #1159
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
... Did they even have rifles? (with, well, rifling, I mean.)

Quick look at Wikipedia: that scope's a century early. And let's not think about the geography.
Well some people do consider the matchlock as the first rifles, depends who you ask.
Old 2012-09-02, 18:25   Link #1160
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Imagawa's gonna be a fine figureh- I mean shogun. aw mah gawd, she's so adorable~
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, historical, romance, shounen