AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-07-27, 21:19   Link #2801
OkamiNoKaze

Does anyone else think they were assembled in a random order, and then they just changed which loop number it was? Like that this last part, part 6 feels more in place as the second part. I think it goes parts, 6, 4, 3, 2, 5
Old 2009-08-02, 10:11   Link #2802
Fairy_Tail

Slider ??

Hello!
This will be my first post ever on this site.

My main purpose of this post is to find out what a slider is.

Haruhi is looking for an alien, a time-traveller, an asper and a slider.
I've though of many solutions but no-one makes sense.

If you have any suggestions or ideas what a slider could be please post them.

PS. I know this might be a little off topic, but it's the best thread I found for this kind of question.DS
Fairy_Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 10:44   Link #2803
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't know for sure, but I think it means "dimensional slider" (i.e. someone who can 'slide' through dimensions).
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 11:10   Link #2804
TakariCritic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy_Tail View Post
Hello!
This will be my first post ever on this site.

Haruhi is looking for an alien, a time-traveller, an asper and a slider.
I've though of many solutions but no-one makes sense.

If you have any suggestions or ideas what a slider could be please post them.

PS. I know this might be a little off topic, but it's the best thread I found for this kind of question.DS

Actually, for a more in-depth look, just lurk the Spoiler thread http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=83061. You'll get your answer there.

Why the spoiler thread you ask? We'll let's just say a suspicious new character begins to make her appearance in book 9.
TakariCritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-02, 11:48   Link #2805
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy_Tail View Post
Non-spoiler explanation: A slider is someone from an alternate reality/parallel universe. The term "slider" comes from a TV show that ran from 1995-2000 about a group of people who "slid" from one reality to another. What Haruhi was actually asking for was an "isekai-jin" which literally translates as "different-world person." "Slider" the closest English match to "different-world person."
Sute443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 08:47   Link #2806
Fairy_Tail

Thanks a lot for the help

Made it clear to me what a slider is.

I was very curious since every character is one of the things Haruhi wants to see, exept for slider. So the idea was of course that Kyon was a slider or some. I guess not :P

Thanks a lot for the information!
Fairy_Tail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 11:30   Link #2807
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some fair argument can be made that Kyon is an 'sleeping' slider (rather like the way Haruhi is a 'sleeping god'). He simply doesn't realize when he's shifted realities because he's too self-absorbed and grumpy
Old 2009-08-03, 14:33   Link #2808
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Some fair argument can be made that Kyon is an 'sleeping' slider (rather like the way Haruhi is a 'sleeping god'). He simply doesn't realize when he's shifted realities because he's too self-absorbed and grumpy
I never liked the idea that Kyon is anything more than what he seems to be.

He already is the Key to Everything, why does he need to be anything else?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 15:01   Link #2809
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I never liked the idea that Kyon is anything more than what he seems to be.

He already is the Key to Everything, why does he need to be anything else?
I like the idea of at least one member of the SOS Brigade being a "normal human". Kyon as that member works for me.

However, Kyon is technically a time traveler - he's traveled backwards through time. Even if Mikuru had to lead him in that one instance, he still actually traveled backwards through time. Kyon could legitimately say to Haruhi "I'm a time traveler".
Old 2009-08-03, 15:08   Link #2810
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I like the idea of at least one member of the SOS Brigade being a "normal human". Kyon as that member works for me.

However, Kyon is technically a time traveler - he's traveled backwards through time. Even if Mikuru had to lead him in that one instance, he still actually traveled backwards through time. Kyon could legitimately say to Haruhi "I'm a time traveler".
Ironically, Haruhi did NOT request for a time traveler in her school introduction; she asked for "People from the Future".
So even though Kyon did travel in time, he wasn't from the future except for the one time he went back 3 years ago.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:11   Link #2811
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Ironically, Haruhi did NOT request for a time traveler in her school introduction; she asked for "People from the Future".
So even though Kyon did travel in time, he wasn't from the future except for the one time he went back 3 years ago.
Interesting point. Good attention to detail, VCV.
Old 2009-08-03, 15:20   Link #2812
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Technically, all the "time travelers" we see are "people from the future".

English localizations only use "time traveler" because "future men" sounds stupid.

You could also argue that Kyon only travels through time AFTER he joined the brigade. Kind of. It's confusing.

Spoiler for future speculation:
Old 2009-08-03, 15:34   Link #2813
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Putting aside the whole time-traveller-vs.-future-person thing, you're right, but if he ever actually went up to Haruhi and told her that she'd either laugh and call him an idiot, or ask for proof. If he wasn't lazy and decided to show Haruhi, he'd have to call Mikuru in to demonstrate. If you have to get Mikuru to do something for you, in Haruhi's eyes you're pretty much too useless to live.

I prefer the idea of Kyon being just an ordinary human. (Or, at least, a human as ordinary as you can get when you're tangled up in the SOS Brigade.) He's already awesome enough as it is. If he were to have some sort of power beyond being able to control Haruhi, he wouldn't be unique anymore. In the middle of all these people with supernatural powers, who's going to stand out more? Yet another person who can do crazy magic shit or the person who's more or less ordinary?

Making Kyon something other than what he appears to be now would also change the relationship between Haruhi and him, wouldn't it? As it stands now in the series, Haruhi likes Kyon despite how normal he is. The fact that she's gotten closer to the ordinary person in her club than the mysterious transfer student, her own, personal moe doll, or the cryptic, silent bookworm hot-glued to the clubroom shows that she's grown up a bit, however minuscule it might be. If Haruhi ever found out about some secret talent or power that he had...I dunno. To me, it seems like if she had been under the assumption that Kyon was an alien, time traveller, esper, slider or anything else, she would have started talking to him just because of that. Not because he seemed different, or because he talked to her without being forced to, or anything like that.

I'm most likely just restating what other people have said already, but oh well. Uselessness hasn't stopped me before.
wittyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-03, 15:41   Link #2814
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
Putting aside the whole time-traveller-vs.-future-person thing, you're right, but if he ever actually went up to Haruhi and told her that she'd either laugh and call him an idiot, or ask for proof. If he wasn't lazy and decided to show Haruhi, he'd have to call Mikuru in to demonstrate. If you have to get Mikuru to do something for you, in Haruhi's eyes you're pretty much too useless to live.

I prefer the idea of Kyon being just an ordinary human. (Or, at least, a human as ordinary as you can get when you're tangled up in the SOS Brigade.) He's already awesome enough as it is. If he were to have some sort of power beyond being able to control Haruhi, he wouldn't be unique anymore. In the middle of all these people with supernatural powers, who's going to stand out more? Yet another person who can do crazy magic shit or the person who's more or less ordinary?

Making Kyon something other than what he appears to be now would also change the relationship between Haruhi and him, wouldn't it? As it stands now in the series, Haruhi likes Kyon despite how normal he is. The fact that she's gotten closer to the ordinary person in her club than the mysterious transfer student, her own, personal moe doll, or the cryptic, silent bookworm hot-glued to the clubroom shows that she's grown up a bit, however minuscule it might be. If Haruhi ever found out about some secret talent or power that he had...I dunno. To me, it seems like if she had been under the assumption that Kyon was an alien, time traveller, esper, slider or anything else, she would have started talking to him just because of that. Not because he seemed different, or because he talked to her without being forced to, or anything like that.

I'm most likely just restating what other people have said already, but oh well. Uselessness hasn't stopped me before.

No, what you wrote made for a good read.

I fully agree with you - I agree with you for much of the same reason that I like Batman, Lex Luthor, and the Joker in comic books; physically normal humans stand out when amongst an uniformly super-powered crowd. Indeed, it's a testament to such a normal human's abilities when he or she can hang with the SOS Brigade... or the Justice League.

I just wanted to be clear that, whatever we may want to be true, Kyon is a time traveler. But he's not a "future man", lol.

Kaisos -
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-03, 15:44   Link #2815
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
*snip*
Yes. Exactly.

I will point out a certain irony that I'm sure has been pointed out many times before, though. Kyon is the most 'normal' person in the club, and he considers himself 'normal', but if you examine his personality outside of the 'Kyon-goggles' he really isn't that normal at all...

Quote:
Kaisos -
Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-03, 15:49   Link #2816
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yes. Exactly.

I will point out a certain irony that I'm sure has been pointed out many times before, though. Kyon is the most 'normal' person in the club, and he considers himself 'normal', but if you examine his personality outside of the 'Kyon-goggles' he really isn't that normal at all...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-03, 17:41   Link #2817
OkamiNoKaze

Kyon would/could be the first Time Lord then.
Old 2009-08-03, 17:57   Link #2818
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

I see TV Tropes has firmly established itself here. This is good. Very good.

But if one thinks about it, the manipulation of data is not a prerequisite for status as an alien.

A slider could also be an alien, as could a future/past hominid species such as... the Time Lords...

Spoiler for Future Novel Spoilers:

So yeah, Kyon isn't "The Slider" imho.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 14:55   Link #2819
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
Bringing back John Smith. Kyon's title as John Smith is probably the reason he is the Key to everything regarding to Haruhi.

Random thought, what if Kyon had never spoken to Haruhi? How would the story be different? And don't say there would be no story.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-04, 15:20   Link #2820
Solachinx
is a myth

There would be LESS of a story ^__^

Do you mean never talked to her in class in April, or never talked to her three years ago?

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen