AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-02-05, 16:17   Link #1
demoran23

Question Windows 7 WMP12 quality: what causes it?

I'm using the x64 Windows 7 beta build on my HTPC. I've got CCCP installed. When viewing an h.264 .mkv in Windows Media Player 7, the visual quality far exceeds that which I get in WMP Classic.

Does anyone know why WMP12 has such a vibrant display? Is there any way to replicate this effect in WMP Classic?

I noticed this first while watching Code Geass. There is a distinct difference in visual quality. WMP Classic appears washed out in comparison.
Old 2009-02-05, 16:29   Link #2
Antenor
Lucky Bastard

Might be the rendering engine used.

Windows Vista introduced EVR (Enhanced Video Renderer), I assume Windows 7 (and the bundled WMP) uses it a well. Media Player Classic typically uses the Haali Renderer, and its support of EVR is somewhat experimental (or just absent, depending on which version you use).

It's the only reason I can think of, since both players would use the same splitters and codecs.
Old 2009-02-05, 16:53   Link #3
demoran23

I haven't used the Vista WMP. If it incorporates EVR as well, would it make sense that it would also have the same video quality? Maybe we're dealing with settings/version issues.

And if that's installed on the machine, could I set WMP Classic to use it though CCCP?
Old 2009-02-05, 17:16   Link #4
Antenor
Lucky Bastard

To be honest, I have never used WMP 11 on my Vista computer... I have a unique bug that has it stuck in a permanent mini-mode with no way out!

To use EVR in Media Player Classic, you can choose it in the Option prompt: Playback > Output. Pick either EVR or EVR Custom Pres (for softsub support). It's still stated as experimental, though.

Do keep us posted if that helps video quality.
Old 2009-02-05, 18:40   Link #5
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoran23 View Post
I'm using the x64 Windows 7 beta build on my HTPC. I've got CCCP installed. When viewing an h.264 .mkv in Windows Media Player 7, the visual quality far exceeds that which I get in WMP Classic.

Does anyone know why WMP12 has such a vibrant display? Is there any way to replicate this effect in WMP Classic?

I noticed this first while watching Code Geass. There is a distinct difference in visual quality. WMP Classic appears washed out in comparison.
"washed out" immediately makes me think of "wrong levels", and since MPC uses VMR on vista/win7 by default (IIRC) the problem should be easily solvable by not using such a shitty renderer. EVR isn't a good idea either for a number of reasons, just use Haali's renderer and your problem should be gone. View -> options -> playback -> output -> haali's renderer.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-02-05, 20:15   Link #6
demoran23

Thanks guys! You're totally right.

Changing the renderer settings in Output alleviates that problem. Haali and EVR look much better.

Problem solved! Now I finally have sane keyboard controls back =)
Old 2009-02-08, 22:04   Link #7
neothe0ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
"washed out" immediately makes me think of "wrong levels", and since MPC uses VMR on vista/win7 by default (IIRC) the problem should be easily solvable by not using such a shitty renderer. EVR isn't a good idea either for a number of reasons, just use Haali's renderer and your problem should be gone. View -> options -> playback -> output -> haali's renderer.
Besides for DXVA-breaking encodes , what else makes EVR a bad idea?
Old 2009-02-09, 07:12   Link #8
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

it has lots of odd issues, just search the cccp forums for "evr" and you'll find some examples
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-04-04, 03:48   Link #9
Mercurius

*Bump* Just tried this myself on my Windows 7 box and it works great! Looks like whatever is 'System Default' for DirectShow on Vista/Windows 7 is crap, and not what WMP uses. Wish I found this thread earlier, I was getting pretty frustrated with the washed-out pixelated mess from MPC while WMP12 had beautiful playback. I'm just glad this isn't part of the whole "locking down codecs" drama or whatever.

I think this information should be in a sticky somewhere. Froth-bite's thread which I have been following for years was the reason I kept using system default for DirectShow.
Old 2009-04-04, 07:40   Link #10
cyth
Banned

Yeah, too bad Froth-Bite's thread hasn't been maintained for years. See: (Last updated: 2007/02/08)