AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-01-29, 00:57   Link #1
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

ADV Films discussion thread

According to ANN, ADV has pulled from their main site all of their current titles including

Kanon
Pumpkin Scissors
Gurren Langan (NOOOOO)
Sgt Frog (Which hasn't been released like GL)

This doesn't look good.

Edit by Moderator: This is a bit misleading. You should read the whole article:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-from-website

Quote:
Several titles have been removed from ADV Films' website since last Monday, including any reference to them in the site's main page, store, and trailers, as well as trailers and videos on Anime Network's website. Those titles include:

* 5 Centimeters per Second
* Devil May Cry
* Gurren Lagann
* Kanon
* Magikano
* Moonlight Mile
* Project Blue Earth SOS
* Pumpkin Scissors
* Red Garden
* Sergeant Frog
* Tokyo Majin
* The Wallflower
* Welcome to the NHK
* Xenosaga: The Animation

Notably, all mention of these titles have been removed from ADV Films' online store and trailer collection, even though listings for other titles remain on the website. Some additional titles have been removed from the online store's listings, although ADV Films or the Anime Network still hosts trailers for them online. When asked about the removal of the above titles from its website, ADV Films declined to comment. ADV Films cancelled its Tuesday night anime showings at Houston's Alamo Drafthouse West Oaks theater until further notice, after first scheduling The Wallflower and then Welcome to the NHK for last Tuesday.

Update: The trailers for the above titles except 5 Centimeters per Second, Devil May Cry, and Gurren Lagann are now playable on ADVFilms.com's trailers section. However, they are still not playable on the Anime Network's website, and they are still not listed in ADVFilm.com's store.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-01-29 at 02:56. Reason: added full article for clarification
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 01:20   Link #2
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

If Gurren Lagann disppears, then so will one of the directors of the company. >=D

But seriously, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..... T_T
Old 2008-01-29, 01:22   Link #3
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Yeah, seriously, wtf is up with that? I was REALLY looking forwards to buying the Gurren Lagann DVDs and the Pumpkin Scissors DVDs.

and why did Geneon dissapear? I never really heard much on the reasons.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 01:25   Link #4
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
and why did Geneon dissapear? I never really heard much on the reasons.
There's a whole thread (maybe two) dedicated to that in this forum.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 01:57   Link #5
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Well, looking at the situation with Geneon and what is going on with ADV, it is almost the same, that is one of the reason I think that Geneon was trying to make a deal with ADV, because both of them was hurting and now that Geneon is now gone, ADV might be next. I was reading the ANN fourms (even know that I dont see eye to eye with almost everybody on there) and they are freaking out about that, even that sale that RightStuf is having right now, and ADV pulling alot of titles, it is follow that path.
Old 2008-01-29, 02:12   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Well, looking at the situation with Geneon and what is going on with ADV, it is almost the same, that is one of the reason I think that Geneon was trying to make a deal with ADV, because both of them was hurting and now that Geneon is now gone, ADV might be next. I was reading the ANN fourms (even know that I dont see eye to eye with almost everybody on there) and they are freaking out about that, even that sale that RightStuf is having right now, and ADV pulling alot of titles, it is follow that path.
Rightstuf has sales like that quite often though. They do it to clear out their back catalog. That just sounds alarmist.

The pulling titles is a bit worrying though. I was looking forward to Kanon...

Of course I'm sure there's plenty of, "Zomg fansubs killed the industry!" comments there, as opposed to the real issue of anime companies, and entertainment companies in general, failing to adapt quickly enough to the demands of the market.
Old 2008-01-29, 02:14   Link #7
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

This is a bit misleading. You should read the whole article:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-from-website

Quote:
Several titles have been removed from ADV Films' website since last Monday, including any reference to them in the site's main page, store, and trailers, as well as trailers and videos on Anime Network's website. Those titles include:

* 5 Centimeters per Second
* Devil May Cry
* Gurren Lagann
* Kanon
* Magikano
* Moonlight Mile
* Project Blue Earth SOS
* Pumpkin Scissors
* Red Garden
* Sergeant Frog
* Tokyo Majin
* The Wallflower
* Welcome to the NHK
* Xenosaga: The Animation

Notably, all mention of these titles have been removed from ADV Films' online store and trailer collection, even though listings for other titles remain on the website. Some additional titles have been removed from the online store's listings, although ADV Films or the Anime Network still hosts trailers for them online. When asked about the removal of the above titles from its website, ADV Films declined to comment. ADV Films cancelled its Tuesday night anime showings at Houston's Alamo Drafthouse West Oaks theater until further notice, after first scheduling The Wallflower and then Welcome to the NHK for last Tuesday.

Update: The trailers for the above titles except 5 Centimeters per Second, Devil May Cry, and Gurren Lagann are now playable on ADVFilms.com's trailers section. However, they are still not playable on the Anime Network's website, and they are still not listed in ADVFilm.com's store.
Considering that they still have trailers for most of those titles, it is likely that they are simply reorganizing the release dates and no longer know when to solict them for. This is a far cry from what happened to Geneon, so I hope the alarmists will calm down.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 02:53   Link #8
cyth
Banned

Yeah, that news bit is misleading, but pretty much every industry expert is on alert as of late. John Oppliger predicts at least two licencing companies will fold till the end of this year, FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga said they perceive problems on the ADV side, even Hey, Answerman! finally got his head out of the sand. ADV killing their linear service and the ADVocates charity assistance to anime clubs certainly doesn't help the overall atmosphere.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 03:18   Link #9
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
ADV killing their linear service and the ADVocates charity assistance to anime clubs certainly doesn't help the overall atmosphere.
Their linear service wasn't that successful though. They never really got the market penetration needed for it to work. Their VoD service seems to be doing better though, seeing as they just announced a new deal to expand it.

Their ADVocates program might have just been canceled due to lack of interest. I know the anime club I was in never bothered to get permission or anything like that to screen an anime. I doubt we were very atypical.

Companies should really be more forthcoming about things like this. Even if ADV isn't really in trouble, rumors that they are could have a negative impact on their bottom line, resulting in them really being in trouble. What happens if people decide they aren't sure that ADV will finish releasing a new title, so they decide to hold off buying it until they're sure it'll be fully released? That could hurt sales enough for ADV's percieved troubles to become real troubles.

I understand that there are some things that are trade secrets, but a bit more openess in business would only be a good thing.* If you're going to cancel a long standing project without giving reason, people are going to naturally assume the worst.

*That doesn't just apply to anime companies.
Old 2008-01-29, 04:47   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Periodic culling of the business sector is usually a healthy thing... but a meltdown, bleh!

The diminishment of reliability and credibility just makes the hobby sector that much more important. ADV having "no comment" certainly didn't calm anyone.

(still waiting for Geneon:Karin to be rescued by someone... )
Old 2008-01-29, 05:13   Link #11
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Their ADVocates program might have just been canceled due to lack of interest. I know the anime club I was in never bothered to get permission or anything like that to screen an anime. I doubt we were very atypical.
Actually, their comment was that it was too successful and they couldn't keep up with it anymore. (In other words, they were giving away too much free stuff.)

And while this website thing is a little bizzare, there is no reason to scream that the sky is falling. Most of these titles are pretty recent so that it could be something as minor as a database corruption/reversion to last year. (No idea why they would "No comment" that though.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 05:26   Link #12
Mentar
Banned

Something else will be interesting, IMHO.

The Japanese studios can't be interested in seeing the R1 market collapse. Therefore, if the old licencing conditions (forced single releases, high upfront payment) don't work anymore, they will have to adapt, whether they want it or not. The licences will have to become cheaper and less restrictive.

On one hand, this means that the budget for Japanese anime labels will have less cash in their pockets from foreign-language releases, which will also tighten their budget calculations for new shows ==> less shows with tighter budgets.

On the other hand, I'd expect that this might help the transformation for other formats: Full-season "collector" releases for affordable prices. And maybe (hopefully) eventually download-to-own anime, just like no-DRM music mp3 sales are becoming more and more prevalent.

Japanese management consists of what is probably the most conservative bunch in the world, but even they should eventually get to see the light of day.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 12:33   Link #13
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

I know that it shouldn't be alarmist, but

Pulling New titles from Site,
Running 25 for $100 sale.
ADV UK Shutdown
Newtype Shutdown
TAN Shutting parts down.

No comment from ADV on Title drop.

So I think I'd better stock up on ADV titles that I do not currently own.

Last edited by Forbin; 2008-01-29 at 14:49.
Old 2008-01-29, 14:12   Link #14
Takuto19
Yarrrr

I hope this doesn't happen, if it did then it would be nice if they finished up on there current series, would love to finish my Kanon collection, since only 1st volume is out atm would suck if they stopped production :/
Old 2008-01-29, 14:58   Link #15
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
Yeah, that news bit is misleading, but pretty much every industry expert is on alert as of late. John Oppliger predicts at least two licencing companies will fold till the end of this year, FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga said they perceive problems on the ADV side, even Hey, Answerman! finally got his head out of the sand. ADV killing their linear service and the ADVocates charity assistance to anime clubs certainly doesn't help the overall atmosphere.
Don't ADV holds most of the licenses for the anime in America any way?

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 15:03   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Rightstuf has sales like that quite often though. They do it to clear out their back catalog. That just sounds alarmist.

The pulling titles is a bit worrying though. I was looking forward to Kanon...

Of course I'm sure there's plenty of, "Zomg fansubs killed the industry!" comments there, as opposed to the real issue of anime companies, and entertainment companies in general, failing to adapt quickly enough to the demands of the market.

All anime companies had the 40% off sale 2-3 times a year. But only Genon and then ADV ever had the 25/100 and 10/50 sales.
Old 2008-01-29, 15:08   Link #17
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

The last time ADV ran the 25/100 sale was right before they got bought out right?

Old 2008-01-29, 16:26   Link #18
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Don't ADV holds most of the licenses for the anime in America any way?
ADV holds around 20-25% of the licenses in the market. They are also the #2 seller of retail DVDs after Funimation.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 17:03   Link #19
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

#3, doesn't Viz hold that title? Well $ sold I mean.

Old 2008-01-29, 18:49   Link #20
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
OMG NO. This can't happen. It can't. It must not. I'm going to pray every night. >_<