AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-02, 20:52   Link #741
OverFunk
It will never be the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Not only that, but because JC Staff is following it so loyally
So, this hasn't deviated from the written version?

That alone should be a reason to celebrate, considering JC Staff's record...

Never forget
Old 2008-11-02, 20:53   Link #742
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I don't know what some of you guys are moaning about as I'm not the slightest bothered about the amount of talking these past two episodes (strangely enough...I find the conversations quite interesting as well as important to establish where the series is going and the personalities of the cast). Look at it this way, it has yet to cross the "boring line" with the amount of talk so far...unlike a certain ninja series last two seasons ago

ep 5
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-11-02, 21:51   Link #743
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well being The Church, putting that seal elsewhere would have been controversial. It certainly can be the source of fanfiction. THAT Animeblog has the right idea.

Double entendre ftw!
Old 2008-11-02, 21:56   Link #744
kittybear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverFunk View Post
So, this hasn't deviated from the written version?

That alone should be a reason to celebrate, considering JC Staff's record...
Lets just hope it continues this way...
Old 2008-11-02, 22:52   Link #745
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Ok... just finished episode five.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
I don't know what some of you guys are moaning about as I'm not the slightest bothered about the amount of talking these past two episodes (strangely enough...I find the conversations quite interesting as well as important to establish where the series is going and the personalities of the cast).
It's good stuff. I like it when I have to pay attention, follow a dialogue and actually think about what's being communicated and revealed.

Quote:
ep 5
Spoiler:
Excellent summary. I've been having some trouble accepting Touma, but I think he managed to redeem some of his emo behavior this episode.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Nice cliff hanger ending, too. Can't wait for next week.
Old 2008-11-02, 23:50   Link #746
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
Spoiler:
Negi in Negima?! does a similar thing. It's a shonen-thing.
Old 2008-11-03, 00:22   Link #747
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Negi in Negima?! does a similar thing. It's a shonen-thing.
Oh, I realize it's a common character trait, and there's always the desire to become "stronger." It's just the attitude behind it that makes a difference. Negi, I think, is fairly humble about it. He desires to prove himself, but more or less accepts his limits and doesn't despair in anguish over it to the degree Touma has been.
Old 2008-11-03, 00:32   Link #748
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Ah so I have more naive speeches to look forward too. [sarcasm]Oh joy.[/sarcasm]
well you don't really have to take what touma says too seriously just laugh at him if want

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
... and last 5% to get to the meat.
you know, that sounded really bad considering the ecchiness of the context the conversation we now have

edit: i dunno, i actually kinda find trying to be a hero quite un-hero-ish. hence why i dropped kurogane no line barrels after ep 2...
Old 2008-11-03, 01:37   Link #749
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Rescued from /a/.
Old 2008-11-03, 01:48   Link #750
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post

Rescued from /a/.
Nothing is sacred (or safe) where /a/ is concerned.
Old 2008-11-03, 01:59   Link #751
ReddyRedWolf

Sytil is pathetic resorting to name calling such as mutant and monster.

When he can't even defend himself without magic.

Technically speaking Touma isn't even considered an Esper. He is something else that is yet to be explained.
Old 2008-11-03, 02:25   Link #752
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
I don't know what some of you guys are moaning about as I'm not the slightest bothered about the amount of talking these past two episodes (strangely enough...I find the conversations quite interesting as well as important to establish where the series is going and the personalities of the cast). Look at it this way, it has yet to cross the "boring line" with the amount of talk so far...unlike a certain ninja series last two seasons ago
Quoted for truth.

At least 95% of the talk contains relevant information. I guess it's a matter of what you personally expect from an anime - whirring swords and explosions or a continuous storyline. I prefer the latter.
Old 2008-11-03, 02:26   Link #753
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Technically speaking Touma isn't even considered an Esper. He is something else that is yet to be explained.
The point is that Stiyl (or whatever his name is) LEARNED magic whereas Touma was merely born with the power that gives him so much confidence. Stiyl worked hard for it (presumably) and Touma's just a freak.
Old 2008-11-03, 02:32   Link #754
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
The point is that Stiyl (or whatever his name is) LEARNED magic whereas Touma was merely born with the power that gives him so much confidence. Stiyl worked hard for it (presumably) and Touma's just a freak.
Though really its all about the fact Touma kicked kicked his ass . Felt pretty immature things went down to petty name calling. Though calling people like Touma freaks is somewhat expected from the whole history. Was fear, jealousy, and wanting power for themselves that is at the source of magic. Though thats a generalization and more to it for individuals involved than just that.
Old 2008-11-03, 05:21   Link #755
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post

Really?

To be honest, I was glad that Stiyl was giving Touma a verbal smackdown simply because he DESERVED it. Simply put, right now, what Touma is doing is incredibly irresponsible, and Stiyl is 100% correct to point it out. Touma is playing wannabe hero in a disturbing way. I don't doubt that he's trying to "help" Index, but his fixation on being/becoming a hero displays a disturbing ego and also lack of common sense. It's at least as much about HIMSELF as it is about Index.

Look at it from the perspective of a doctor. There's the approach to prolong a bad situation via memory erasure (the Kaori/Stiyl version). And it's exactly as Kaori put it: "At least, we were saving her life up to now". This adheres to the oath of doctors: "First, do no harm". They DO care for Index first and foremost, since they draw NO personal benefit out of it. And they let Index live happily with Touma as long as the time allowed for it.

Touma on the other hand is merely a strongly opinionated meddler. It boggles my mind that simply with 1-2 phone calls he decides to try to "dispel" whatever "the church meddled with her". It's the equivalent of an unrelated friend trying to pull life support out of a person in ciritical condition because he believes that it's actually harmful. It's shallow, reckless and utterly irresponsible. Who knows what happens when he removes the magic put on Index? How does he know that she won't die? And how can he dare to do this sh*t even without asking HER for consent first?

Sorry folks. Stiyl is rude here - sure - but his general assessment is sound. Touma _is_ a monster, a very stupid one. He might be lucky in the end, and his intents are well-meaning, but his execution is terrible. He should have simply agreed to the memory wipe, and then taken the next year trying to figure out if science can "save" Index somehow. He shouldn't have jumped the gun like that.
Old 2008-11-03, 06:04   Link #756
ReddyRedWolf

Yeah right... The Neccessarius (sp?) will just leave Index alone.

Thing is Touma asked for a second opinion and those two being fatalist stooges won't hear it.

Oh Ho! Guess what? Their surperiors lied. Fools both of them.

Touma may not be the sharpest tool in the shed nut he uses brains.

He actually questions where Kaori got her figures. In real life memorization even photographic memory won't kill anybody.

Touma's ability certainly can't be used for personal gain given the side effects.

He can't only use it to protect himself and others.
Old 2008-11-03, 06:22   Link #757
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:

Oh good, I thought I was the only one who felt that way

I'll be waiting for my english subs to finish loading before I go into the details-details, but in general I strongly support your statement and summary thoughts as well... But I don't think you should take what Touma said about being a hero too seriously, it's more like a response to Stiyl's earlier remark.

The reason why I said this was because in the Railgun story, there was a chance for him to take credit for a BIG heroic act, but he just shrugged it off saying it doesn't matter who did it.
Old 2008-11-03, 07:17   Link #758
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Look at it from the perspective of a doctor. There's the approach to prolong a bad situation via memory erasure (the Kaori/Stiyl version). And it's exactly as Kaori put it: "At least, we were saving her life up to now". This adheres to the oath of doctors: "First, do no harm". They DO care for Index first and foremost, since they draw NO personal benefit out of it. And they let Index live happily with Touma as long as the time allowed for it.

Touma on the other hand is merely a strongly opinionated meddler. It boggles my mind that simply with 1-2 phone calls he decides to try to "dispel" whatever "the church meddled with her". It's the equivalent of an unrelated friend trying to pull life support out of a person in ciritical condition because he believes that it's actually harmful. It's shallow, reckless and utterly irresponsible. Who knows what happens when he removes the magic put on Index? How does he know that she won't die? And how can he dare to do this sh*t even without asking HER for consent first?

Sorry folks. Stiyl is rude here - sure - but his general assessment is sound. Touma _is_ a monster, a very stupid one. He might be lucky in the end, and his intents are well-meaning, but his execution is terrible. He should have simply agreed to the memory wipe, and then taken the next year trying to figure out if science can "save" Index somehow. He shouldn't have jumped the gun like that.
Well...

A doctor would have called in a consult because their explanation of what was happening to Index was s*** from the start and we would have had less crap and gotten to the last 5% of ep. 5 faster as the "rune scan" would have been done earlier. It was pretty apparent that something else was causing her deterioration. Memory overload just wasn't covering it.

Stiyl and Kanzaki aren't her guardians so their wishes have no bearing. Index is of age apparently since she's a nun so Index would have told the MD what she wanted him/her to do and Touma would have broken the seal. She prob would have been restrained and other precautions taken before they would have attempted to break the seal. As before, we would have gotten to the last 5% faster and safer.

I'm just being way too practical and will turn my brain off for that type of reasoning until this problem of Index's is resolved.
Old 2008-11-03, 07:42   Link #759
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Well...

A doctor would have called in a consult because their explanation of what was happening to Index was s*** from the start and we would have had less crap and gotten to the last 5% of ep. 5 faster as the "rune scan" would have been done earlier. It was pretty apparent that something else was causing her deterioration. Memory overload just wasn't covering it.

Stiyl and Kanzaki aren't her guardians so their wishes have no bearing. Index is of age apparently since she's a nun so Index would have told the MD what she wanted him/her to do and Touma would have broken the seal. She prob would have been restrained and other precautions taken before they would have attempted to break the seal. As before, we would have gotten to the last 5% faster and safer.

I'm just being way too practical and will turn my brain off for that type of reasoning until this problem of Index's is resolved.

You do recall that they have to do all that within a limited period of time right?

Stiyl and Kanzaki might not be her Guardian, but they sure have enough firepower to have it their way.
Old 2008-11-03, 07:50   Link #760
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

There's a definite magic/religion and science rift though. Obviously those raised by the Church's own special magic unit won't consult scientists or anything. I know that's a lot of assumption, but I guess the show will flesh that out more. Oh, and espers.
Closed Thread

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen