AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-09-03, 14:01   Link #3141
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
Any reactions to Urobuchi's recent interview?

http://yaranakya.wordpress.com/2011/...oes-terrorist/

I personally disagree a fair bit with many of Gen's views... but I think that he supports them pretty well, and very conscientiously. I get the sense that he's put a lot of thought behind them, and his analogies, while quite controversial, do kind of work for the points he's trying to make. Well, the Al-Queda terrorist example might be bad in the context of promoting his anime, because most Madoka fans aren't going to want to think of Homura, Kyoko, or Sayaka as morally equivalent to Osama bin Laden. Still, if you disassociate his philosophical and political views from the anime, he supports them fairly well.

I mean, a lot of American prosperity does come off the backs of cheap third-world labor. It's an unpleasant truth, but it is true. Those inexpensive t-shirts and electronics and toys that are bought at Wal-Mart come at a hidden cost - The cost of cheap labor and hence a lower standard of living for people who live in other countries. Maybe that is something that people should think more about when they get the next great bargain at Wal-Mart.

Now I don't think that the whole of life is a zero-sum game (this is a key disagreement between Gen and I), but some aspects of it really are, sadly. I say this since there are win-win scenarios in real life (obvious example: Two people enter into a successful romance, making each other happier in the process for the rest of their lives; nobody necessarily loses out here). At the same time, though, there are a lot of things that are win-lose (obvious examples: sports competitions, and two people competing for the same job promotion).

While not everything is "win-lose", there is a large amount of it in real life, and maybe it's something that people should remind themselves of (this can go back to the idea of good sportsmanship; of winners being respectful of the losers, and not rubbing salt in the wounds).

Long story short, Gen's views, as a whole, are actually pretty radical. Most people really don't think the way that he does, at least in my experience (both on the net, and certainly in real life). But then, most of the great artists had some radical views. You almost kind of have to be a bit of an eccentric to be a great artist. Because the eccentric tends to notice things that your average person doesn't, enabling their works to stand-out from the crowd, and I definitely see that with Gen, even if I disagree with some of his conclusions.

I also will say that I'm impressed with how well Gen seamlessly incorporates his views into his anime work. Madoka Magica hardly feels like a piece of political propaganda, and yet (by focusing on what he said in this interview) I can see where Gen's political viewpoints are indeed being developed through out the anime.

All of the above being said, I hope that Gen's statements here don't hurt Madoka Magica's reception in America. I can see some Americans being pretty pissed off at what he's saying there...
Old 2011-09-05, 01:38   Link #3142
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Some interesting tidbits. Gen actually did NOT write the stories for both Drama CD 1 and Drama CD 3. He supervised both, but Hiramatsu Masaki is the one who wrote the script for both of them. For those who don't remember, Hiramacchi is also the writer for Kazumi Magica.

http://wiki.puella-magi.net/Tiro_Finale_Book

Refer to the Translations section.
Old 2011-09-06, 00:09   Link #3143
zato_1one

Just in case that no one doesn't know it yet. Madoka wins Television Award from Anime Kobe Awards.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...me-kobe-awards

I actually don't care about any awards. And seriously, I don't even know about this Kobe Awards before.

But I'd like to know, is this the first official animation award Shinbo got?
Old 2011-09-07, 17:04   Link #3144
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
Any reactions to Urobuchi's recent interview?

http://yaranakya.wordpress.com/2011/...oes-terrorist/
I don't really understand the "controversy"...he's just being truthful. I mean, it's a fact. Al-Qaeda, from their perspective, saw the bombing of the twin towers as a good thing and God's divine punishment on America for the (many many many) sins it has committed. I don't understand why stating a fact warrants such criticism. The notion that he's being inconsiderate by saying this is ridiculous; he's in an interview, it's not like he's going to walk up to a person effected by 9/11 and say "from Al-Qaeda's perspective the bombing was just and you simply paid the price for your country".

Small statement taken totally out of context. I read in some places that Urobuchi was supporting Al-Qaeda, now that I read this I almost want to laugh. He's just stating there is no one ultimate good in the world and what one considers despair another could consider hope. I have more respect for Urobuchi after reading this and have a better understanding of his thinking process. Looking forward to more of his work in the future.

Last edited by Suzuku; 2011-09-07 at 17:15.
Suzuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 19:17   Link #3145
Scarletknive
Meister

Lets...drop the topic about Urbobuchi's interview about Al-Qaeda.
Who have heard this game called Chou Jigen game Neptune mk2? Well i dont know whether this should go to music video thread or the other thread but here goes

...its a reference so please dont remove it...
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-07, 23:29   Link #3146
Kagayaki

ANN has an interview with Atsuhiro Iwakami, the producer for the show.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...suhiro-iwakami

Quote:
during production Shinbo became quite fond of Sayaka, so he asked Urobuchi if it would be possible to bring her back to life. Urobuchi said no, that's it wasn't possible
Hahaha, I like it the way it is, but I wonder what it would've been like if Shinbo had been able to do whatever he wanted.

Quote:
Well, the script was actually done three years ago, and it was only because of scheduling issues at SHAFT that delayed the production, and that was unplanned. Otherwise I think that the show came out on time and in a way I can be happy about.
oh shaft
Old 2011-09-08, 01:17   Link #3147
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
ANN has an interview with Atsuhiro Iwakami, the producer for the show.
I missed the previous Q&A but I find this quote interesting.

Quote:
Inu Curry was very detailed about the settings for the witches and determined what kind of magical girls they were before they became witches.
I hope that information gets revealed someday.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 23:03   Link #3148
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
I hope that information gets revealed someday.
Me too, especially for Charlotte. I wonder if she loved sweets and
Spoiler for maybe a spoiler, her ultimate desire:
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 13:14   Link #3149
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Sket Dance episode 23:

Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 14:19   Link #3150
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
While I'm not at all familiar with sket dance I'm guessing that was anime filler right?
Old 2011-09-10, 00:21   Link #3151
Cloudy

I think if Madoka exist as an anime in the Sket Dance universe, it would just be a normal magical girl anime since SD universe is filled with grim drak MG series.
Old 2011-09-11, 15:00   Link #3152
Arkanis

I don't know what to say. Listen to tri4's sub of the audio commentary of episode 4, in particular Gen Urobuchi's very first sentence. Can this guy really be the incarnation of the devil that he is known to be?
Arkanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-15, 03:06   Link #3153
omimon
Professional Hikkikomori

Spoiler:

Okay so SHAFT barely edges out A-1 for top sales dog for first volume total Blu/DVD for series since 2010. As you might have guess its ALL thanks to Madoka since the next best is Hidamari which only contributed around 10000~.

Of course if we are talking about average sales over all series then SHAFT is......I don't want to say sucking but they could do better.
omimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 07:32   Link #3154
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Second season when?

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=329083
Old 2011-09-20, 08:56   Link #3155
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
As I said in that thread, the most likely development is new movie sequel. But even if Urobuchi 'JUST' started thinking about story now, it will never get animated sooner due to Shaft's lol-shaftness.

Not just that;
http://twitter.com/#!/Butch_Gen/stat...67203861889024
TS: "It is problem how much percentage of my components that makes me is 'negative'. If I can pray to god and detoxify these negativity, there won't be any harm but only leads me to healthier life, but instead, if even my guts of torturing and making non-existence middle school girls cry fly away and disappear, I won't be able to continue writing Madoka! I hate it!"

Thus, it is clear he does have some fond about writing more of this series.
Old 2011-09-20, 09:13   Link #3156
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Wow, being Urobuchi is suffering.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 11:15   Link #3157
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Wow, being Urobuchi is suffering.
Srsly.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing though. A huge reason why Madoka worked was because no one really knew what to expect. Sure, people knew Gen and other talent were involved but as far as how that would translate into a show and how it would end up, there was a lot of mystery.

Personally, I'm not sure I want to visit various anime discussion sites and see people screaming for bloodshed either. I'm pretty tired of people sizing up how "awesome" a darker anime is by relating it to Ga Rei, School Days, or Elfen Lied. You know it'll happen too, that hesitation people will have waiting for the next Mami, and the next Sayaka, and the next Homura (if not the actual character, their spiritual successors).

Beyond all that, while Madoka worked out well in balancing dark/light without being overbearing (imo at least), I fear that Gen may choose to up the meat grinder ante more. Do I really want to go through that again? I'm not sure. Honestly, I'd much rather see a version of Madoka where all the girls live, Kyubey gets blown to hell along with all the other Incubators, and they all defeat Walpurgisnacht as some pop singer croons forgettable lyrics in the background in some kind of mind blowing action sequence that would make Nanoha and Goku weep for joy.

And then in the epilogue, as the credits roll....orgy that results in saving the universe from entropy. I think I'd die happy.
Old 2011-09-20, 16:16   Link #3158
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I'd actually rather see a slice of life AU of Madoka Magica than a straight-up sequel.

This is for the following reasons:

1) The main Madoka Magica story is perfectly fine the way it is. Solid, and reasonably conclusive. Picking up where it left off could eventually result in a less satisfying story overall, and plot-wise, there's honestly little room for improvement, imo. I recall the Matrix Trilogy, and how people felt about all of it as opposed to how people felt about the first movie alone...

2) I liked many of the PMMM characters. Might be nice to see them happy for a change.

That being said, I'd certainly check out a PMMM sequel, and would likely follow it intensely. I'd be worried about where it might go every step of the way, though.
Old 2011-09-20, 16:35   Link #3159
TJR

Seems to me that he's planning more Madoka out of obligation (i.e. returning the favor as is customary within Japanese business culture) as opposed to personal interest. Hopefully, he can find the motivation to make something interesting.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 16:57   Link #3160
MartianMage

http://www.mangareader.net/otaku-no-musume-san/62/14

Kyubey on the TV. ◕ ‿‿ ◕
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
despair, hope, madoka magica, magical girl, urobuchi gen