Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 16:42   Link #2421
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Spoiler for Some thoughts on Episode 19:

Chiaki, you need to come back and wear out Marika with ..er... "special attention" so that Marika sleeps for three days straight! You know what must be done!

Endless "Watching a different show" Soul
I did find Hilde's actions strange. If she wasn't planning to steal it, why didn't she give it back immediately?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 16:50   Link #2422
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Oh no I really thought it would be an arc of the plot of a novel snif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 18:42   Link #2423
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm under the impression the yacht Club is going on a training run using windsurfing to get them use to some conditions they might encounter with their small one man boats you see them using in the simulators. The ones that look like they have a huge sail on top.

Plus considering how much water this planet seems to have, that sort of training might make sense.
Old 2012-05-14, 00:02   Link #2424
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

And yes I also think in the next episode man will lead to the Yacht Club then what? A yacht race? or so is that his will be a drive to go sailing? XD

And for the race "Nebula's Cup" will be in his space I guess? haha And is that his will be an opportunity to review Chiaki Barbalussa to control for this race? You imagine Barbalusa VS Bentenmaru
Old 2012-05-14, 01:15   Link #2425
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I knew Ai was a gem. The preview just proves it.

Interestingly, my fic makes more sense after the Jenny arc than before... Looks like I have A LOT of rewriting to do...

Your 2nd point alone places them in the flagship category.

PLUS, Marika may not be a great person, or a great student, but because she is not the kind that gets everyone killed. On that alone, she is a good captain.

Ah, good ol' Nog.
Note that Marika is a honors student/A grade student i.e. Marika can rival Red Squad's academic performance.

Red Squad seems to have issues with critical thinking and more interested with regulations and following orders. They wouldn't make it on Picard's Enterprise i.e. they ussually question thier orders. Military type Captain Jellico didn't like Picard's crew dynamics.

Last edited by encia; 2012-05-14 at 01:46.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 01:19   Link #2426
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Note that Marika is a honors student/A grade student i.e. Markia can rival Red Squad's academic performance.
IIRC her grades took a massive nosedive - can't recall if she's managed to bring them back up.

Marika is smart, but she only managed to get her grades by lots of focused studying.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 01:26   Link #2427
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
IIRC her grades took a massive nosedive - can't recall if she's managed to bring them back up.

Marika is smart, but she only managed to get her grades by lots of focused studying.
Only with the quiz. Her quiz scores are said to be improving.
Old 2012-05-14, 01:29   Link #2428
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Yes she is intelligent and if I remember correctly she wants to study higher? So I guess she wants to go to the University of space! : p
Old 2012-05-14, 01:43   Link #2429
encia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
Yes she is intelligent and if I remember correctly she wants to study higher? So I guess she wants to go to the University of space! : p
Perhaps follows Jenny. Lynn has stated that Marika is similar to Jenny (minus yuri part...).
Old 2012-05-14, 01:44   Link #2430
Kazu-kun

BTW, Jenny should have perfect scores too, and I also remember that when Kane was checking out the Yacht Club members' profiles Jenny had all her stats maxed out (in contrast with Lynn's and a few others that were shown) which means that she's not only a prodigy academically, but also physically. That makes her solo escape with the Silent Whisper more believable, specially all those stunts she pulled off while dealing with those MIBs.
Old 2012-05-14, 01:50   Link #2431
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I found the latest episode fine myself. I was actually far more dissatisfied with the resolution to the last story arc. Actually I've had issues with the resolutions to both the last two story arcs. In both cases it felt like there was a lot of missing background information and things were resolved too easily.
I agree. It was... meh. I was expecting some dash towards the Space University with the Bentenmaru being chased the whole way.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 01:50   Link #2432
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Perhaps follows Jenny. Lynn has stated that Marika is similar to Jenny (minus yuri part).

Yes (unfortunately) has not the "Yuri" of Jenny xD

Quote:
BTW, Jenny should have perfect scores too, and I also remember that when Kane was checking out the Yacht Club members' profiles Jenny had all her stats maxed out (in contrast with Lynn's and a few others that were shown) which means that she's not only a prodigy academically, but also physically. That makes her solo escape with the Silent Whisper more believable, specially all those stunts she pulled off while dealing with those MIBs.

Yes now that you say Jenny is really a prodigy, a genius! Genius/Jenny Hahaha you understand? uh it was not brief the president of the club for nothing hihi

Quote:
I agree. It was... meh. I was expecting some dash towards the Space University with the Bentenmaru being chased the whole way.
Yes I too thought there would be that its Marika take him Jenny at Univesity of space ...
Old 2012-05-14, 01:54   Link #2433
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"Red Squad" was a little too regimented, formal, and military-like, by Star Fleet standards. Even Kirk's era Star Fleet standards when they were in the middle of a Cold War with the Klingons. Even if Star Fleet was at war with the Dominon at the time. Also they had too large of an ego based on their positioning. Though they did get the cool, new ship (USS Valiant) for a training cruise (rather unusual to have cadets on a ship like that rather than an older vessel). Even in Star Trek II, the USS Enterprise was a cadet training ship...she was pretty much one of the best ships in the fleet still at that point, but she was still 40 or so year old.

Red Squad did try to pull a Kirk, but they were in way over their heads and experiance levels. They also didn't follow all the standard Kirk procedures as they didn't follow all the options...especially since, unlike in Kirk's day, they could likely find backup starships to help them with their problem. In Kirk's day, if there was more than one Starship in the region there was something major going on. In Sisko's time...and time of war, there are dozens, if not hundreds of starships in the region. One was even relatively nearby looking for them. They failed due to unwarrented overconfidence. Even the new movie Kirk wouldn't quite do something that foolhardy. Well...he might, but he'd place the safety of his ship and crew first (over his own life) unless it meant directly saving a Federation planet.

The Yacht Club has a rather nice training ship, even if it is maybe 200 years old. It has been upgraded somewhat to the point were they were able to handle the Bentenmaru with only a hastely made training manual. Though the Bentenmaru is not as old as the Odette II, both were probably upgraded in a similar fashion with similar technology in their days as Privateers serving in the War. Partially proven when they found parts that would work on the Odette II in the stores of the Bentenmaru.

But...why such old tech? Intergrated circuits seems old tech...but vaccum tubes? We haven't used those for hardly anything in my lifetime with only the older television screens being vacuum tube types. But certainly not the old style computer vaccum tubes of the 1950s.
Old 2012-05-14, 01:57   Link #2434
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

As they say so "it is with the old thing that can make new" I not right?
Old 2012-05-14, 02:14   Link #2435
Kyuu
=^^=

Right now... I know how Marika feels...

Oh tired...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 02:17   Link #2436
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

A much-needed vacation and repo it is clear, but even if in the next episode they go to the beach ... Looks like his have will not be restful for Marika ...

It's unfortunate that Chiaki will not be there, I would love to see her in a swimsuit!
Old 2012-05-14, 02:44   Link #2437
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But...why such old tech? Intergrated circuits seems old tech...but vaccum tubes? We haven't used those for hardly anything in my lifetime with only the older television screens being vacuum tube types. But certainly not the old style computer vaccum tubes of the 1950s.
Maybe they're photo-quantum transregulators which just happen to look like 20th century vacuum tubes.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 03:09   Link #2438
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I wonder if anyone knows where I can find the novels of the anime translated into English ...?
Old 2012-05-14, 03:58   Link #2439
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
I have a question for you Meister Babylon, you invented this scenario is or what you have seen this scenario in the novel?
I cooked it up actually. Its a bit of a running gag to come up with references to Star Trek when it comes to MoP, thanks to the nerdgasm that was the 1st 6 episodes, and how Marika has a bit of every Starfleet captain ever to grace the screen.

So what I did was invert the entire MoP premise like the Mirror Universe of Star Trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Note that Marika is a honors student/A grade student i.e. Marika can rival Red Squad's academic performance.

Red Squad seems to have issues with critical thinking and more interested with regulations and following orders. They wouldn't make it on Picard's Enterprise i.e. they ussually question thier orders. Military type Captain Jellico didn't like Picard's crew dynamics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
"Red Squad" was a little too regimented, formal, and military-like, by Star Fleet standards. Even Kirk's era Star Fleet standards when they were in the middle of a Cold War with the Klingons. Even if Star Fleet was at war with the Dominon at the time. Also they had too large of an ego based on their positioning. Though they did get the cool, new ship (USS Valiant) for a training cruise (rather unusual to have cadets on a ship like that rather than an older vessel). Even in Star Trek II, the USS Enterprise was a cadet training ship...she was pretty much one of the best ships in the fleet still at that point, but she was still 40 or so year old.

Red Squad did try to pull a Kirk, but they were in way over their heads and experiance levels. They also didn't follow all the standard Kirk procedures as they didn't follow all the options...especially since, unlike in Kirk's day, they could likely find backup starships to help them with their problem. In Kirk's day, if there was more than one Starship in the region there was something major going on. In Sisko's time...and time of war, there are dozens, if not hundreds of starships in the region. One was even relatively nearby looking for them. They failed due to unwarrented overconfidence. Even the new movie Kirk wouldn't quite do something that foolhardy. Well...he might, but he'd place the safety of his ship and crew first (over his own life) unless it meant directly saving a Federation planet.

The Yacht Club has a rather nice training ship, even if it is maybe 200 years old. It has been upgraded somewhat to the point were they were able to handle the Bentenmaru with only a hastely made training manual. Though the Bentenmaru is not as old as the Odette II, both were probably upgraded in a similar fashion with similar technology in their days as Privateers serving in the War. Partially proven when they found parts that would work on the Odette II in the stores of the Bentenmaru.

Spot on right there.

As for the old tech, how do we know its actually "old tech"? Just because its not isolinear chips or DNA gelpacks doesn't mean the technology it resembles is actually the technology making it work.
Old 2012-05-14, 03:59   Link #2440
encia

Red Squad didn't plan for every eventualities i.e. lacking the proper exit plan e.g. limited to warp 6 speeds or lacking the evasive type piloting skills as shown in DS9 Shattered Mirror i.e. gimped Defiant clone beating a superiour starship via Sisko's skills.

Marika's Yacht club crew was concerned about Bentenmaru's reactors and thier sustained FTL capabilities e.g. Marika trusted Yayio's practical experience, while Red Squad didn't trust Nog's practical experience with the same class 7 warp engines as the Defiant. Red Squad didn't think about the reasons behind the Valiant's limiters i.e. the so-called safeties.

The Yacht club would most likely beat Red Squad in a wargame.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri