AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-11-02, 08:35   Link #3001
Doc Astaroth

Letīs see, that the new spoiler says...

Spoiler:

I had no time to translate, the only thing I found out was:

Spoiler:
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 09:46   Link #3002
Westlo
Lets be reality

lol nothing Nisio does surprises me these days, smh @ the latest Hitagi info from the newest bake novel lol.

Also like _kurusu_ said top 5 bitches. (Or 6th if Naruto counts, whateva still good).

Naruto (Cover, Lead Color)
Bleach
One Piece
Kuroko no Basket
Reborn
Beelzebub (Color)
Medaka Box
Gintama
Succeed (Oneshot color)
Bakuman
Inumaru Dashi
Enigma (Color)
Sket Dance
Nurarihyon no Mago
Kochikame
Hokenshitsu
Oumagadoki
Light Wing
Psyren
SWOT

And 23 pages for Issue 50.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:03   Link #3003
Shadow5YA

Uh... I'm seeing Medaka Box as 7th, or 6th for whatever reason you're excluding Naruto.

Good nonetheless, since it's nowhere near the bottom.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:08   Link #3004
Iron21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Uh... I'm seeing Medaka Box as 7th, or 6th for whatever reason you're excluding Naruto.

Good nonetheless, since it's nowhere near the bottom.
Because colored pages don't count in the rankings.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 10:15   Link #3005
Westlo
Lets be reality

I would also expect a Medaka Box anime to be announced not long after the Kumagawa arc is finished... its sales are not that far off from Beezlebub and Sket Dsnce the two latest JUMP mangas to get an anime and it would be a great way to push the manga sales even more.

Zaregoto and Medaka Box for late 2011/early 2012... believe!
Old 2010-11-02, 12:35   Link #3006
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I would also expect a Medaka Box anime to be announced not long after the Kumagawa arc is finished... its sales are not that far off from Beezlebub and Sket Dsnce the two latest JUMP mangas to get an anime and it would be a great way to push the manga sales even more.

I hope so. Medaka Box really deserve it

For the next chapter :

Spoiler for 74:
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 15:41   Link #3007
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
I hope so. Medaka Box really deserve it
It doesn't before Zaregoto.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 16:09   Link #3008
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Finally broke into the top 5. Very great job this week and I think its time to start heating up that crow for several people as we move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post

I've been estimating a fall 2011 debut personally. That would be a good time in comparison to the overall length of the manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
It doesn't before Zaregoto.
Thats irrelevant. Its entirely dependent on if a studio wants to adapt it and so far they have shown an early interest in doing so. Its not like there is a line and Medaka has to get in the back of it.

Westlo would know better than me whether Zaregoto is showing signs of being animated or not.
Old 2010-11-02, 16:24   Link #3009
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
Thats irrelevant. Its entirely dependent on if a studio wants to adapt it and so far they have shown an early interest in doing so. Its not like there is a line and Medaka has to get in the back of it.
Oh, I thought we're just voicing our own opinions. In that case, my bad~
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 16:31   Link #3010
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Spoiler for anime talk:

Oh, and congrats for the series on getting to the top 5. Hopefully the scans get caught up so I can see what developed in the series.
Old 2010-11-02, 17:33   Link #3011
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
l8st chapter practically screams of getting an anime.
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-02, 17:42   Link #3012
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Oh, I thought we're just voicing our own opinions. In that case, my bad~
I don't mind the opinions, my point had more to do with it doesn't appear to matter what gets an anime first and they don't appear to have an order in relation to each other. From what I can tell, Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari were written after Zaregoto but got their anime first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Spoiler for anime talk:
Spoiler:

Quote:
Oh, and congrats for the series on getting to the top 5. Hopefully the scans get caught up so I can see what developed in the series.
Much appreciated and I imagine Cross will catch up in the next week or two.
Old 2010-11-02, 22:36   Link #3013
Last Carpet

I can help but wonder about the entirety of what Misogi and Zenkichi's connection with Aijimi is.

"Someone once said One's life is Plus-Minus-Zero"

My guess is that Aijimi was the Plus who once said that.

If this whole deal with Aijimi comes up in the future (which it probably will). I hope to see Zenkichi and Misogi throw down again. And maybe we'll learn about what happened between Misogi and Aijimi in Middle School. Hopefully that'll shed some light on where Zenkichi stands on the Abnormal listing.
Last Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 03:43   Link #3014
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
ch74:
So it turns out the cutting thing isn't some special power, it's just razor blades
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 21:07   Link #3015
Iron21

Spoiler for 74:
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-07, 21:13   Link #3016
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron21 View Post
Spoiler for 74:
according the chinese translations
Spoiler for :
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 01:55   Link #3017
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
It just strikes me as odd because one isn't directly related to the other. They are only connected by the writer. One is current and ongoing and is a manga. The other is a finished light novel work from earlier in the decade. Also another of his works got an anime before Zaregoto did.
It has no connection really, for all we know Pierrot will do a Medaka adaption after Beelzebub is finished, WHITE FOX will get to work on Zaregoto after they finish with KATANAGATARI and of course SHAFT are already doing Kizu...

Quote:
Taking your word on the notability of Zaregoto, why were Bakemonogatari and Katanagatari both given anime even though they were written and published after Zaregoto? Zaregoto predates them and its his most notable series supposedly.
In some ways it makes no sense, Zaregoto is his most famous work, his best selling work and also appeals to people outside of the typical light novel demographic. I think there was a poll in the magazine Nisio releases a lot of stuff of and his Zaregoto characters curb stomped Bakemonogatari's in that poll.

OTOH maybe Nisio won't allow an anime unless all of it is guarantee to be animated (I'm kinda hoping the Umineko creator had that clause...) and at 9 volumes filled mostly with dialogue (riveting though it is) it may be a hard sell to otaku to be profitable. Andrew Cunningham of Eastern Standard Blog which reviews a lot of light novels and stuff thinks it's impossible to animate Zaregoto for some reason... I'll try and find that post when I asked him...

Also Bakemonogatari definitely had Otaku appeal, it's kinda like Narita's Baccano! and Durrara!!, the former is considering the better light novel series but the later has otaku and fangirl appeal and has fared far better in anime. So while Baccano will probably never get another animated project DRR is going to have quite a few sequels...

No idea why Katanagatari got one before Zaregoto though.. seems to be Nisio's worst received series...

Quote:
That just tells me a lot of it just comes down to whatever anime studio feels like picking up. Its not like Medaka being animated before it should be some kind of slight against it. Two more of Nishio's works already were done as well.
Well if anything the success of Bakemonogatari is going to help Zaregoto become an anime, it seems only a matter of time...

Quote:
I mentioned Westlo because I know he follows all of Nishio's works and would be more knowledgeable than me on what is the most popular among them. I already mentioned I haven't read or watched any of his other series before reading Medaka Box earlier in this thread.[/spoiler]

stuopidget is by far a bigger Nisio fan than I am, though it helps he can read Chinese translations of most of his novels unlike myself.. I'm really, really ahnging for a well done Zaregoto animated series since it seems the novels won't get translated past volume 2.. which is a damn shame.

Also stuopidget is pretty up to date with new anime productions.

Much appreciated and I imagine Cross will catch up in the next week or two.
Old 2010-11-08, 03:03   Link #3018
Doc Astaroth

Chapter 74:

Spoiler:
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 05:05   Link #3019
Sol Falling

Is it alright to use the current discussion to spout off about Nishio's works/anime? I read the spoilers in this thread, but don't check out raws or early translations, so I've got nothing to contribute on that end of the discussion. Anyway though, I picked up the two Zaregoto novels Del Rey did fairly recently, and with that and how Medaka's just been getting awesomer and awesomer recently, I think I've finally been converted into a genuine Nishio fan, so I kinda wanted to talk about his stuff I guess.

Then to start off maybe with Bakemonogatari, which I watched because I am far and away pretty much solely a Shaft fanboy in terms of anime; however ultimately I felt like that series was 99% otaku pandering (though I can certainly appreciate that on some level: hot damn Nadeko hnnnngh etc.), while the conflict/plot basically revolved around "dangerously sexy fox lady (err...high school student rather) comes onto loser nice guy". As a result, its dramatic/emotional shallowness versus its connection to my favourite studio is kinda conflicting for me. As a core plot/concept I actually kinda feel like it is the worst of Nishio's series which, aside from offering me the chance to (sometimes uncomfortably) be pandered to, is mainly only notable to me because of the gorgeous animation Shaft seems to pour into it.

Then there's Katanagatari, which is turning out to be an awesome OVA series maybe because it has the benefit of getting to trim the fat from the mass produced novels. The animation is average to amazing in utilizing Take's artstyle so I guess that's probably why Whitefox would be getting Zaregoto, it delivers on fanservice in a smutty way almost as deliciously as Bakemonogatari does, and more importantly than that it provides dramatic tension on a basic level much more effectively 'cause the series is essentially a tragedy, in contrast to the 'help everybody'/pseudo-harem nature of Bake. The original material/adaptation though is still kinda rough around the edges in a few places so it hadn't really made me a fan beyond the context of that one project.

Zaregoto was kinda mind-blowing though. Damn impressive series, as much for the convoluted mysteries which seem to be the main feature of each novel as for the fascinating themes/characterization which tie into them. However entertaining the read, though, and perhaps this just jumped out at me more because I read the first book after the second one, it quickly became somewhat obvious how this was Nishio's first book/series with bullshit unresearched ideas like how the supposed most advanced operating system in the world required 'terabytes' of RAM to operate and his presumptuous Afterword talk about 'genius'. So while the Zaregoto novels contain some pretty interesting intellectual exercises with its tendency for characters which are 'absolute existences', it does come off as a bit arrogant.

In that sense, Medaka Box is actually probably my favourite Nishio series/work/adaptation right now (out of the four that I am aware of being available in English?), because while it did start off with a dumb/unrealistic/devoid-of-dramatic-tension premise i.e. 'amazing perfect girl wants to make the entire world happy' it has quickly turned into a similar playground for clashes of absolute personalities, except this time, the events/personalities are intentionally ridiculous/hilariously absurd as opposed to managing to be unintentionally absurd in a failed attempt at being impressive (the aforementioned terabytes of RAM thing). Zaregoto will no doubt prove to be the more complex/interesting/emotionally gripping work once more of the novels come out but for now I am simply loving Medaka for its absurdity and audacity. The idea of anime adaptations for either of them is an exciting prospect (though they could well both turn out to be mediocre, but with the awesome source material, who cares?) as well. >.> Well yeah, I guess I just wanted to get some Nishio fan-gushing out.

Good stuff folks. Oh, I guess the other reason I wanted to type this up was to encourage people to check out the other stuff as well, it's all pretty awesome.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-08, 08:06   Link #3020
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I've only seen two pieces of Nishio works. I've read this and I've watched the Bakemonogatari anime. For me, Bakemonogatari is leagues above Medaka Box. I find it funnier (to me, it's more naturally funny instead of feeling forced), I like the characters more, as they seem to be more fleshed out and developed, and I think I just like the premise more. Plus, Senjougahara has quickly become my favorite Tsundere of all time. I also think I like how, while it has it's absurd things, it's over all more serious in tone and doesn't completely destroy my suspension of disbelief every chapter like MB does.

But, everyone has different tastes, even among works of the same author.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council