AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-06-22, 23:47   Link #3121
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Boy, this is the best arc in ages. Wish we'd actually seen the fight, but yes...I always figured the outcome was going to happen eventually, just not so soon.

To think, there's still two more guards (well, all three really) and the king (and queen, I guess once the king is born). Lot of power creep Kilua and Gon are going to have to gain really fast. :/ I just hope their fight with the two assassins doesn't take too many episodes, so as to not disrupt the pacing of this arc too much.

Also, that was a pretty awesome gif.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-22, 23:52   Link #3122
leokiko

That was one of the best anime episodes I've watched this year so far.

Everything was presented brilliantly, from the emotions when Pitou rushes at them, to when Gon is reassuring Killua that Kaito is fine, to the ending scene.

Damn! I love this series so much! If only Togashi wasn't such a lazy mother*****
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 01:17   Link #3123
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Damn....I mean it felt like Kite had death flags going for a while, but that was fast. They were just walking at one point and then boom...that's it. It's hard to say how long that fight went on for, but that was it for Kite. His opponent truly was a monster. Of course it's something that he could put up any kind of fight at all considering he lost his arm in the first exchange, but that might have decided it. Probably didn't help either that he never had in his mind that the Chimera Ants would learn Nen.

In the end while Killua might be considered disqualified, it's that disqualification that will let him and Gon live another day. Certainly as an Assassin he made the right call. If you have 0% chance of victory or survival, you run like hell. Gon would only have gotten himself killed if he rushed in and attacked. Certainly reflects how different he is from others that facing something that powerful and someone like Kite getting injured actually triggered the fight response.

While Kite died I feel worse for Killua. This episode was truly hell for him. He just ran as fast and as far as he could to get them out of there alive. Had a lot of time to dwell on what happened until backup arrived and even more time during the drive away from there. In the end he stuck by what he said on the way there. He'd make his decision in that instant whether to stand and fight or run and this time it was time to run.

At least Gon managed to cheer up his mood. Being grateful that Killua got them out so he can get strong enough to help. Though his optimism is overboard knowing the realities of what happened. However Kite lost, he most definitely lost and died. It's going to be a painful revelation when Gon finds out that Kite is dead.

Regardless this episode was something else. Things just keep getting worse and this was a devastating defeat. Certainly they seemed to bring the big guns in for this job, but who knows how it will play out.
Old 2013-06-23, 02:17   Link #3124
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatron View Post
Hunter x Hunter: the Game of Thrones of anime

Spoiler for I think I'm strong:
How she looks up and to the right is too cute =03! Sinister, but cute =03.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
At least Gon managed to cheer up his mood. Being grateful that Killua got them out so he can get strong enough to help. Though his optimism is overboard knowing the realities of what happened. However Kite lost, he most definitely lost and died. It's going to be a painful revelation when Gon finds out that Kite is dead.
Indeed. And this is one of the small, but powerful ways Togashi completely breaks shounen concepts. Typically, we'd see Kite beginning to fight a hopeless battle, with no idea what has come of his fate until much later, giving viewers some semblance of the goal Gon wishes to attain, as well as the hope that his determination will allow him to acquire what he seeks; but not here. Togashi shatters all hope before it even began by showing a completely beheaded Kite IMMEDIATELY after Gon's declaration to save Kite. Getting angry does not automatically allow you to land a blow or stand a chance against an enemy far beyond your abilities. These give HxH an aspect of 'realism', that most shounen brethren fail to accomplish.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 03:18   Link #3125
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's almost a unfair that a show could already be this good and then add Shinichiro Miki...

I should just give up on trying to guess how many gears Togashi has at this point, because he keeps finding new ones. This was already the best arc in the series in terms of premise (maybe one of the best in any anime or manga) but this was the ep where it really brought the main character dynamic back into full prominence.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 03:28   Link #3126
Arkeus

Annnnd Biscuit's Back :3
Arkeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 05:38   Link #3127
Pacify

Holy crap.

I kinda felt that things were going to get real, but damn I wasn't expecting it to get that real that fast. That ending scene...... god damn
Kite was such an awesome character, it is sad that we never even got to see all 7 of his rolls
Hope the training arc doesn't last too long
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 05:43   Link #3128
revive4563

After such a long time, this major Jump series taught me that author of Shingeki no Kyojin is completely amature/doujin level.

This IS a talent of story writing.

I don't like Togashi always but he is good, after all.
revive4563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 06:01   Link #3129
ookamigirl

Wow! Neferpitou really is strong.
I was surprised Kite got hurt so easily.
Those royal guards are not joke.
For now, she's the only one, but getting rid of chimera ants will be very hard.
Killua was pretty down after that incident.
Looks like the big guns are here now. Wonder how they'll do.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 06:22   Link #3130
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, to think that Pitou is only one of three - what happens when his siblings come out? And then there's the King himself...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 06:57   Link #3131
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yeesh, I was wondering why they were getting so sentimental when nothing had happened yet but I guess my suspicions were confirmed just a few minutes later when we got that.

So sad to see Kite go like that. To be honest I wasn't all that attached to him but he was pretty cool and we never got to find out the full extent of his abilities which is a massive shame. I suppose his main role was to be the Obi-Wan to Gon and Killua and it certainly improved Killua's character by miles. The effect on Gon is more of a mixed bag for me. I was never big on Gon's character and he always seemed to have all the traits of an unbearably generic shonen lead but I eventually grew to tolerate that since it was made up for with his interesting dynamic with Killua and I could at least accept the heart behind it, particularly in those instances when it was actually done well (e.g. Gon vs Hisoka). But now it really does seem like the story plans to do a 180 on all of that and I'm not sure what to think of that. On the one hand, I can derive a certain twisted pleasure watching this kid get brutalised and finally put an end to all those traits I disliked about him, but on the other hand I feel like it's throwing away a certain sincerity behind the story for the sake of being darker which I'm not sure I can get behind. What I'd like to see is a good balance so that it can achieve the best of the both but it's hard to feel that can happen when it goes from typical upbeat Gon motivational moment to Ant monster stroking Kite's severed head. At the very least Gon and Killua's dynamic just keeps getting better and better. Probably one of the best things about this show, imo.

If I have one gripe about the episode (and it's a small one really), I suppose I am a little bit disappointed that this sudden twist relied on one of the most annoying reasons for something bad to happen: Not running when you're told to. Unless time had slowed down or something, I'm pretty sure I would've reacted faster than those kids. I thought Gon and Killua were way past that kind of rookie-ness but apparently not. Although maybe I'm just being harsh and shouldn't expect them to be Genre Savvy.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 07:36   Link #3132
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

The scene supposed to be lightning fast, and I don't understand why you must think it that way Haak. I'm truly impressed by Killua's action.
Old 2013-06-23, 07:53   Link #3133
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Not running when you're told to. Unless time had slowed down or something, I'm pretty sure I would've reacted faster than those kids. I thought Gon and Killua were way past that kind of rookie-ness but apparently not. Although maybe I'm just being harsh and shouldn't expect them to be Genre Savvy.
They were surprised and shocked, that’s all. It happened in lightning-speed and they didn’t anticipate an attack that fast from that far away. Plus, there’s that massive malicious nen aura thing emanating from Nefer which they never felt before and that kinda petrified them a bit. Plus again, after watching Kite lost his arm, the hot-head Gon freaked out and went all-rage before the cool-headed Killua stopped him. Given their characteristics and situation, I think those kids’ reaction is quite understandable and consistent.

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-06-23 at 08:20.
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 08:07   Link #3134
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ I'm not sure how you managed to quote Clarste there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
The scene supposed to be lightning fast, and I don't understand why you must think it that way Haak.
I don't.

Hence why I said "unless time had slowed down"...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 08:10   Link #3135
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
In the end while Killua might be considered disqualified, it's that disqualification that will let him and Gon live another day. Certainly as an Assassin he made the right call. If you have 0% chance of victory or survival, you run like hell. Gon would only have gotten himself killed if he rushed in and attacked. Certainly reflects how different he is from others that facing something that powerful and someone like Kite getting injured actually triggered the fight response.
It may seem like the logical choice to flee when you "know you cannot win", and in a way, it is. However, it does prove that Killua lacks the proper state of mind for a proper nen user. Battles of nen aren't won DBZ-style by pitting power levels against eachother. Normally, if a nen-user feels outclassed, they will attempt to find a different way to win. In that regard, it's actually Gon who has the proper mentality.

Of course, on the flipside, Gon, being inexperienced, really would have gotten in Kite's way, and all three of them would have died. Either way, the episode was meant to show us that while both kids lack experience, what they lack is different between them.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 08:18   Link #3136
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
^ I'm not sure how you managed to quote Clarste there.
Me too. How the hell Clarste's name can end up there?

Anyway, the quote came from you. So, I'll edit my previous post to match it.
Old 2013-06-23, 08:43   Link #3137
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
It may seem like the logical choice to flee when you "know you cannot win", and in a way, it is. However, it does prove that Killua lacks the proper state of mind for a proper nen user.
That's just Morau's opinion, though. Kite told them to run.

It's probably true it's not just about the size of the aura. It doesn't mean running wasn't the correct decision.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 09:12   Link #3138
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Yeah I know that. I also said that I knew that. It's complicated.
Both sides of the story are true. Like I said, it all comes down to the fact that they lack experience. And the thing that Killua lacks the most is the resolve to see something through to the end.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 10:03   Link #3139
Hamster

Well...at least the way Neferpitou said "I'm pretty strong" was pretty darn cute.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 10:35   Link #3140
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Morel and Knov's trash-talking of Killua really pissed me off. He made the right call. There was nothing he or Gon could do against Pitou, they would have only gotten in Kite's way. Morel and Knov shouldn't act all high and mighty when they have no idea how fearsome the opponent truly is. They don't know what they're talking about. Kite whom we were told in this episode was a top tier hunter thought Killua made the correct decision. I'm looking forward to their reaction when they finally encounter a royal guard.

Morel's approach to nen battles is not wrong, but that only applies if you are not helplessly outmatched, which they were.

Tags
action, shounen