AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-03, 23:29   Link #6061
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Nope, nothing so far. To be fair, we have 3 more Blu-Rays for Mizushima to cough up the explanation for that.

Or you can go the direct route and Tweet Mizushima about it, so he gives the explanation in the next booklet. It's what I did.
Old 2013-04-04, 00:17   Link #6062
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
If this blurb is accurate, then it does appear that tanks had been modded to be much faster before: the historical Renault FT only had a top speed of 7kph, while these FT's had been modded to attain over twice that speed. We may have an explanation for why tanks in Senshado seem much faster than their historical counterparts actually were.
Sometimes I feel like they put a ton of thought into this .. and other times it feels like they're just making stuff up on the fly. For now I'm still a buyer.
Old 2013-04-04, 00:27   Link #6063
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I am reading OVA3's booklet now, and even now, no one would explain this to me - when did they invent the infamous "Carbon"?

Senshado must have been quite a lethal sport before this
Or war was remarkably free of casualty... (Though it'd beg the question of why they bothered with steel armor at all.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 00:27   Link #6064
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
I am reading OVA3's booklet now, and even now, no one would explain this to me - when did they invent the infamous "Carbon"?

Senshado must have been quite a lethal sport before this
They could have just used paint.

I didn't post that picture of JagdPanther-chan because it looked like her eyes were falling out.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 00:35   Link #6065
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

What is JP-chan saying? And why is there a bird's nest on her hat?

Endless "" Soul
Old 2013-04-04, 01:00   Link #6066
arkhangelsk

Something like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-chan
Bu-hu-hu (crying noise).

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
would be a reasonable take.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 01:02   Link #6067
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So with that tidbit of information, I can guess that the Queen of England was once in senshado in this universe. It almost fits the Queen's actual history during World War II. Just take it a step farther as she's a royal, and would have been in school at that time (1930s-1940s).

So what would be the Princess Royal's tank or tankette (would she be a racer or combatant?)
Old 2013-04-04, 01:03   Link #6068
Gravitas Free Zone

I figure the bird's nest is there because they are permatracked and the match is going into extra innings.
Old 2013-04-04, 01:05   Link #6069
Sumeragi
Banned

Images
FREEDOM! 2
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 02:28   Link #6070
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Continuation of that History of Senshado translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by History of Senshado part II
The tankette craze got a further shot in the arm when the Germans, who ordered 580 LK II and only to lose to war before half way through production, liquidated the tanks piecemeal at bargain-bin prices while the country's in turmoil.

These tanks opened up a whole new target audience, who previously could not afford tanks of their own.

Modifications went rampant as these tanks were released to the market while incomplete, so instead of using the Daimler-Benz V4, LK II may have had more powerful engine, removal of turret and additional fuel tanks to improve endurance, modified armor shape and a host of other personalized customizations.

Restrictions on vehicle modifications came about when this customization went overboard, leading to cases of tanks without any armor and sporting a V12, where it no longer bear any resemblance to the stock vehicle.

It was during this time that opposition movement had separated themselves to setup new racing organizations, where any tracked vehicles that were initially made as tanks would be admitted to their competition. Such competitions came to be known as the Unlimited Class.

As this class became well received in America, the root organization moved to America as well, and the racing event came to be a support race in the Indianapolis 500 mile race.

Although LKII made vehicles more affordable, the target audience that rather not tinker with parts tend to adopt cheaper and mechanically less complex tankettes, such as the Cardne-Loyd Mark VI, as mentioned above. These designs which were licensed across the world and led to many mass produced derivatives in the 1930s.

Britain, who pioneered the Light Tanks, in following design trends, introduced the turreted Vickers 6-ton tank Mk. E.

Although they were not adopted by the British Army, the tanks were widely exported and licensed. This tank was produced as the T-26 in the USSR and the 7TP in Poland. It would pave the way for the enlargement of miniature tankettes as they become light tanks.

As the light tanks trickle down in number, the tankettes became increasingly adopted in racing events. Dummy shot competitions were also starting to take place as these tankettes were armed. It is difficult to achieve team cohesion with tankettes as one person drives as the other shoots.

The British-born tankette committee had attempted to solicit competitors with good teamwork potential, but they had little avail, save a figure skater that competed in pair figure skating events, who was wounded in the leg.

Skating developed into a recreational sport in the Netherlands, thanks to its advanced canal networks. Although the peasantry raced, the nobility went the way of competing in graceful maneuvers, which formed the basic framework of figure skating by the 17th century.

Members of the House of Stuart, who returned to England following the Restoration from their exile in the Netherlands would introduce figure skating to United Kingdom. Pair figure skating came into being as the British involved themselves with even more graceful forms as social dancing norms were merged with the sport.

The birth of a new sport came about as the tankette, crewed by the female figure skater danced about the fields in refined movements, captivated the hearts and minds of the spectators with gunnery of pinpoint precision.

The British nobility, having seen this sort of composed action, came to a revolutionize the Equestrian competition event. The British Tankette Style, which combined elements of the British Equestrian with these tankettes thus came into being.

The British Tankette Style is essentially that of obstacle course and show jumping. The first day of the competition would be about disassembly and the repair of vehicles, the second being that of cross-country and the third devoted combined training, jumps and maintenance.

As the combined training suited Army training, and that the adolescents of the nobility class found tankettes to be adorable and easier to control, the event became popular in Great Britain.

Sporting events being developed around the tankettes would gave rise in taking these competition formats to other tank categories. The French were the most ambitious, creating team events that featured crew of more than 3, which tankette with a crew of two cannot perform.

Team competition, such as the 24 Heure de Mann and a host of others that were hosted in France, had to dictate that a crew of three and above were mandatory as competition rules, thus ruling tankette out of competition.

Anglo and French based tank competition rulesets spread across Europe gradually, and calls to standardize the games grew.

America, on the other hand, had little tank development due to the fact that Unlimited Class events centered around modifications, and that they had little interest in drafting tournament rules.

This led to European ruleset forming the basis of modern Panzerfahren rules.
So somehow, rally races + equestrian riding + figure skating = English Senshado. Which coupled with the French rules forms the basis of modern Senshado.

My brain is still trying to decipher the HOW of this entire affair, but now I can't get rid of this grin I have on my face...

Edit: And the handy TL;DR version:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_gup_translator
1. Tankette got popular thanks to Benz's wife taking a tankette and racing with it.
2. Tankette got popular enough that it started a trend, and female tankers would compete in grand tours.
3. Grand tours made the thing even more popular, as it was high society that spearheaded this, making it highly fashionable.
4. German liquiding its tankette surplus made cheaper tankettes more widely available, opening up new markets, so the hot-rodding scene started.
5. French and British did their own thing on tankette, with British exporting, driving the cost down even more.
6. Hotrodding took off in USA.
7. British tankette became a national sport by putting figure skating and equestrian together with tankette.
8. French endurance races and British tankette style spread across the continent.
9. Call to unify the rules of the game led to the creation of Panzerfahren.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-04-04 at 03:00.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 02:55   Link #6071
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So I suppose the challege to the artists would be to put the Princess Elizabeth in her tank or tankette. She was 13 years old at the start of the war in 1939. She was training to be a driver and mechanic by 1945 prior to turning 18.

She is Colonel-in-Chief of many units, including armored units, but specifically the Grenadier Guards during the war (1942).

Cruiser tanks (V "Covenanter V" and VI "Crusader III" plus later M4 Sherman V "Firefly")
Old 2013-04-04, 07:21   Link #6072
Gravitas Free Zone

I don't know how much of that they came up with before the series aired and how much they might have made up as they went along, but that's pretty awesome.
Old 2013-04-04, 07:39   Link #6073
arkhangelsk

It seems, however, one thing they hadn't worked out beforehand is whether the tanks are for Senshado only or for war.

For example, OVA2 booklet seems to take the stance that wars do happen. It specifically mentions that as the Type 89 got obsolete, they were handed to Senshado organizations, and the money used to buy Type 97s.

The M3 article and Matilda articles specifically mention the war. I guess the very concept of an Infantry tank for Senshado was purely indefensible.

OVA3's booklet tries to pretend the war never took place and insists that the reason for developing new British tanks being the 2 and 6 pounders not being competitive against the Germans in Senshado matches. The Sherman Firefly is a stopgap so they can make the next international contest.

The M4 Sherman article goes as far as to mention the "frontline", but shies from the world War. They even go as far as to insist that in most places other than America, tanks are for Senshado, and America is special in that male American soldiers use the Sherman (thus leading to a image of Shermans as rough).

The M4A1 article is neutral.

The T-34 article insists that that tank development leading to the T-34 was after T-26 and BT tanks were penetrated in Senshado matches (so they can't be using paint all the time). Despite taking a "No War" stance, for some reason the Russians still rush the T-34s out, leading to the historical lack of quality.

Make up your minds, authors
Old 2013-04-04, 07:48   Link #6074
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

OTP OTP OTP

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:03   Link #6075
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
It seems, however, one thing they hadn't worked out beforehand is whether the tanks are for Senshado only or for war.

Make up your minds, authors
As I kept saying, the creators clearly intent for both world wars to have happen exactly the way we remembered it. But by some plot magic, change everything else.

World wars happened, Everything else different. This is what we need to take home out of the new info.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:05   Link #6076
Auxilism
For the yuri (╹◡╹)

Quote:
OTP OTP OTP
*cut out img tags*
http://i.imgur.com/rdZeHWr.jpg

Fixed.
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 08:22   Link #6077
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
As I kept saying, the creators clearly intent for both world wars to have happen exactly the way we remembered it. But by some plot magic, change everything else.

World wars happened, Everything else different. This is what we need to take home out of the new info.
I won't presume to know what they intended, though I did read the Twitter where Mizushima finally declared that the war happened. If this had been decided from the start, the message hadn't been transmitted very well to some of the people that wrote this fluff text.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:46   Link #6078
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

BRAINS, OVERLOADING

I must be getting old to be feeling tired from just following the thread. I need some fanservice, pronto.
Old 2013-04-04, 08:55   Link #6079
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Images
FREEDOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Images
FREEDOM! 2
Images
FREIHEIT!

Quote:
OTP OTP OTP
Why does Mako have it's own Dakimakura

selfcest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
BRAINS, OVERLOADING

I must be getting old to be feeling tired from just following the thread. I need some fanservice, pronto.
there is 3 type of fan that enjoy Girl und Panzer

Girl: those that enjoy the anime for fun
Panzer: those that like to dicuss anime in detail (along with vehicle technical specification)
Und: those that in between

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 09:13   Link #6080
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Fanservice you say?

Images
Nishizumi Style

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks