AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-25, 08:04   Link #81
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

My favourite is VI, one of the best stories ever in gaming.

Really wonderful cast of characters, they don't even need much graphical expressions for you to feel them. Even a dog with no more than 3 frames in animation and a single barking sound track for personality can make you feel happy or sad for it. His master had hardly 10 lines but you feel sorry for him and when he acts you see how badass he really is.

The battle system is simple, nothing gimmicky, but is great old school fun. There's also a really big list of items to collect, magic, summons and stuff.

The game doesn't need a remake, its the perfect old school RPG. But if it ever gets a remake, it fully deserves it.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 08:19   Link #82
Razziell22

1. ff8, ff6
2. ff7, ff10
3. ff4, ff9
Old 2010-02-26, 15:22   Link #83
Daizu
Magatsu Daizu

Send a message via MSN to Daizu
Final Fantasy X is my favorite. I also enjoyed IV, VI, and IX, but X is really my only favorite.
Daizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 02:17   Link #84
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

I love Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, and IX the best. They great storylines even though I never beaten the first three I mentioned they are still fun to play.
Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 09:38   Link #85
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

5) FF7
First character death in a video game I actually truly cared about, enough to make me cry and wanted due vengeance on the perpetrator. I happen to rate this particularly highly as this character was the rival-in-love of the childhood friend, so THAT really says something.

4) FF5
While FF3 did job system first, I felt it was done a bit sloppy there, as there's obvious progression of power levels. FF5 did it right; later classes were more or less the same power level, but just did things differently.

3) FF4
Where I got my handle. It revolutionized the series because it was the first to deeply explore the backstories of each of your party members.

2) FFT:War of the Lions
If Tactics Ogre is the father of these lines of games (sure stuff like Fire Emblem predate it, but TO was first to introduce stuff like height, wait time, and direction, on top of positioning as strategic elements), FFT was the first to introduce learnable skill sets.

1) FF12
THE game that restored my faith in jrpgs, where I started losing faith in them because every JRPG was more or less the same experience.

Honorable mention: FF2
Mentioned because its system became the hallmark of the SaGa series of games, but this thread is about FF, no? XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 16:18   Link #86
Nikkan

I don't get why so many like FFX, I mean..

Spoiler for FFX:
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-27, 16:34   Link #87
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
^
Spoiler for FFX:
Old 2010-02-27, 16:41   Link #88
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
^
Spoiler for FFX:
1. what is so complex about 10?

2. personally i hate 10's level up system.

3. every ff game since 5 has additional content. whats your point?
Old 2010-02-27, 17:11   Link #89
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
1. what is so complex about 10?

2. personally i hate 10's level up system.

3. every ff game since 5 has additional content. whats your point?
1. I won't explain the whole story...
2. That's opinion. Fact is, it was the most complex at it's time.
3. What I meant to say was FFX had the most additional content.
Old 2010-02-27, 17:55   Link #90
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Personally i found the leveling up system, the sphere grid in FFX to pretty damn horrid. I still played the game for a lot of hours, though during that time the sphere grid just seem to keep on failing hard. The way it's done in X-2 with traditional leveling up system and an additional dress grid is the way it should have been done, and made that game loads of fun.
Old 2010-02-28, 03:16   Link #91
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally rate FFX as the lowest in my book. It's the only FF I haven't finished; heck, I didn't get past what, 15 hours in it?

The battle system didn't get me hooked (in-battle switching has been done before in the SNES-era with Breath of Fire 1, and really nicely implemented on PSX Breath of Fire 4), while I found the level up system to be really bland. You 'level up' you can move one forward or some steps backward to retrace is simple enough, but when a lot of the spheres are empty, you start getting the feeling that level ups usually ain't significant at all. (Something I have problems with MMORPGS, but thats for another story)

So if it isn't about the gameplay, it should be about the story. But really, Tidus didn't win me over, and I could've cared less about Yuna's pilgrimage. And if I don't care about the characters, then I really didn't care what happened to them. And with the what plot I've seen mainly concerning those two; yeah, as you can see, I had NO reason to keep playing the game.

FFX-2 on the otherhand, was fun to play mainly because you haven't had a job system since FFT, which was a few years before it. I didn't take it seriously, and had a blast playing it despite not knowing anything at what happened in FFX.

As for SHEER amount of things to do besides the main quest, you really can't beat FF12. It's after all modeled after MMORPG play; I mean, look at the amount of mark hunts and rare monster hunts. I mean, you hear a lot of complaints about FF12 was that it was too focused on these 'side quests' that the pacing of the main quest felt so poor because of the sheer amount of difference in size of the two.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 04:28   Link #92
Nikkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
^
Spoiler for FFX:
When people say they hate the voice acting, I think they often refer to the infamous HA-HA-HA scene, which was horrible both in japanese and english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBHIg...video_response
Nikkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 06:30   Link #93
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
And what some people fail to realize, is that that scene was SUPPOSED to be awkward and 'bad'. He forced himself to laugh at first, so it naturally sounded fake.
Otani-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 06:54   Link #94
kyosak
poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumii-chan View Post
When people say they hate the voice acting, I think they often refer to the infamous HA-HA-HA scene, which was horrible both in japanese and english

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU8-e-C4Uy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBHIg...video_response
Nah, it was pretty bad overall IMO.
kyosak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 07:24   Link #95
~ookami

That'll be the new Final Fantasy XIII and when it comes out versus XIII.

I know of course some of the older FF series aswell from the graphics aspect but didn't play any games of this so far.

Well, this is gonna change 9. of March 2010 When I have bought my FFXIII I will be busy playing it through. I love this game and cannot wait to get it
~ookami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 11:29   Link #96
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Why the **** does it matter what Tidus' father was? That's as stupid as complaining that the final boss of Final Fantasy V is a tree. It's irrelevant.
Old 2010-02-28, 11:44   Link #97
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Auron, Yunalesca and Jecht's voiceovers were good...and I admit that the most exciting thing about FFX was monster hunting and arena farming. Plus, the dungeons were pretty mesmerizing (Zanarkand ruins, Macalania temple, the final dungeon as well as all the summon temples...with the exception of the temple of Bahamut, which was eye-raping and somewhat confusing). I think the game was purposefully made simple enough so that it would attract inexperienced fans and help the franchise grow.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 11:51   Link #98
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Auron, Yunalesca and Jecht's voiceovers were good...and I admit that the most exciting thing about FFX was monster hunting and arena farming. Plus, the dungeons were pretty mesmerizing (Zanarkand ruins, Macalania temple, the final dungeon as well as all the summon temples...with the exception of the temple of Bahamut, which was eye-raping and somewhat confusing). I think the game was purposefully made simple enough so that it would attract inexperienced fans and help the franchise grow.
i thought the voiceovers for the guys weren't bad but the voiceover for females character were crap. i couldn't stand yuna's va and i had a hard time listening to the ff12 female va's as well.
Old 2010-02-28, 14:24   Link #99
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Why the **** does it matter what Tidus' father was? That's as stupid as complaining that the final boss of Final Fantasy V is a tree. It's irrelevant.
Certain twists in stories can totally ruin it for people, so there's no surprise here.
Old 2010-02-28, 17:29   Link #100
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Final Fantasy X is my favorite FF. :\ I liked the story, since eventhough it had it wtf moments I never felt the need to read trough discussions to understand it. It also properly developed the romance. The ending was pretty emotional as well. Not to mention tech was finally good enough that emotions where properly conveyed with animation and voice acting.

Also the combat/lvling system where simple and straight forward. I guess what I liked about the game they never overdid it storywise and gameplaywise.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote