AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-24, 09:17   Link #1121
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I think it wasn't as much that Kou started playing baseball rather than Aoba saw Kou displaying more seriousness towards life. Remember when after pot incident, Aoba asked Kou whether he had started training for boxing with a little more than a tingle of interest. The fact that she later realized he was actually training for pitching (and that she herself had been part of the reason for such a change) only made the whole thing more enigmatic (and interesting) for her.

BTW, I see your PR points around the world dropping because of you calling baseball a child's game.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-09-24 at 09:40.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 10:10   Link #1122
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
Well, "not giving Kou the respect that should be given to an elder," I guess.
I really do not think this is an indication of disrespect. Moreso the level of familiarity between them and Kou treating her in an equal manner (such as during some of the flashbacks). When you say "disrespect" it sounds like Momiji having some negative opinion of any of Kou's traits and I don't think she does at all.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 10:31   Link #1123
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Yeah, I think it's the "borrow a pot" episode that's central to the thaw in Aoba's attitude towards Kou. She's had hints of Kou's ability in the two episodes prior (Her catch session with Momiji, and the robbery incident). But it's ep. 5 where she gets an extended, close-up exposure to his overall competence and winning ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think it wasn't as much that Kou started playing baseball rather than Aoba saw Kou displaying more seriousness towards life. Remember when after pot incident, Aoba asked Kou whether he had started training for boxing with a little more than a tingle of interest.
Good point.

Actually, I think that if Kou was really training to become a boxer, it would have accelerated the thaw. Finding out that Kou's interest is baseball instead triggers a bit of resentment on Aoba's part, resentment that hasn't completely gone away even to this point. She's intrigued, no doubt. But also resenting someone she sees as a johnny-come-lately? Yup.
Quote:
BTW, I see your PR points around the world dropping because of you calling baseball a child's game.
Well, it's best when played with a child's attitude. The great baseball writer and sabermetrician Bill James once wrote that baseball was meant to be played in a state of controlled joy.
Quote:
Well, "not giving Kou the respect that should be given to an elder," I guess.
Quote:
I really do not think this is an indication of disrespect.
Many Japanese do, as you can see by Kou's initial reaction to Momiji's familiarity. He gives up eventually, of course.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 10:48   Link #1124
SagaraSouske

Without baseball, much of the interaction between Kou and Aoba we see won't be there. May be Aoba will see a little of the real Kou without jealousy blindside her. It won't be enough to propel her into falling in love with Kou. Without baseball, they will not be on the same team and working toward the same goal and their interaction will therefore be very limited and nothing will really come out of it.
SagaraSouske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 11:05   Link #1125
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Many Japanese do, as you can see by Kou's initial reaction to Momiji's familiarity. He gives up eventually, of course.
Only if you take a simple binary approach to respect vs. honorifics. In the latest Miyazaki film the son calls his mother by her first name, which was not meant to nor did the audience take it as disrespectful because of its depiction. The same applies here. Having Momiji not address Kou as "kou-oniichan" was clearly a deliberate decision meant to show her relationship with him vs. others, unless we're taking a very basic definition of what respect is or isn't. In my opinion.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 11:57   Link #1126
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Having Momiji not address Kou as "kou-oniichan" was clearly a deliberate decision meant to show her relationship with him vs. others, unless we're taking a very basic definition of what respect is or isn't. In my opinion.
You and Guardian Enzo have made decent points, and I won't call it "disrespect" any more.

However, there is one instance where Momiji refers to Kou as oniichan (I couldn't find any instances where she addresses him so). It's during Momiji's flashback in the "borrow a pot" episode, back to when Waka was still alive. So did something change in Momiji's relationship to Kou after Waka's death, that he wasn't oniichan anymore? Or was it just part of growing up?

Come to think of it, they stopped inviting Kou to the grandparents' house every summer, too. So maybe there was a fundamental change in Kou's relationship to the Tsukishimas. Because he wasn't the inevitable, eventual in-law anymore?
Old 2009-09-24, 12:14   Link #1127
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Come to think of it, they stopped inviting Kou to the grandparents' house every summer, too.
Did they stop inviting him, or did he start refusing to go? I thought he stopped going because without Wakaba the summer trip would kinda have lost its whole point.
Old 2009-09-24, 12:35   Link #1128
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Did they stop inviting him, or did he start refusing to go? I thought he stopped going because without Wakaba the summer trip would kinda have lost its whole point.
You're right. All Kou says is, "but since that summer, not once." I assumed that since he went when they invited his family, he wasn't being invited for the summer trips.
Old 2009-09-25, 14:06   Link #1129
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
You're right. All Kou says is, "but since that summer, not once." I assumed that since he went when they invited his family, he wasn't being invited for the summer trips.
It could be as simple as the fact that Wakaba was always the one to issue the invitation, and the first year after her death the family found it too hard to invite Kou along (after he's a constant reminder that Wakaba isn't there).

I mean, without Wakaba it's either Aoba or Ichiyo that would have to invite him. Aoba? Fat chance. And Ichiyo would have to consider how Aoba would respond to Kou being invited without Wakaba being there to keep peace between them.

As soon as Aoba started showing the slightest thaw towards Kou, guess who got invited?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 21:11   Link #1130
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I think it wasn't as much that Kou started playing baseball rather than Aoba saw Kou displaying more seriousness towards life. Remember when after pot incident, Aoba asked Kou whether he had started training for boxing with a little more than a tingle of interest. The fact that she later realized he was actually training for pitching (and that she herself had been part of the reason for such a change) only made the whole thing more enigmatic (and interesting) for her.

I spend a preposterous amount of time on baseball, ranging from obsessive statistical analysis to scouting reports on minor leaguers.

I think I have the right to call it what it is--a child's game.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 21:18   Link #1131
Proto

Don't say I didn't tell you later when you appear in the hit list of an enraged fan.

In any case, I cannot think of a series where the outcome of the next episode was so predictable, yet at the same time I am so looking forward to it.
Old 2009-09-26, 12:42   Link #1132
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So... uh... how was CG this week?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-26, 12:58   Link #1133
Proto

My ability to see into the future isn't quite there yet, so I'm afraid I can't help you
Old 2009-09-27, 02:45   Link #1134
karasuma

Quote:
Kou: Betsu ni shinjinaku temo iindakedo sa... (You might find it hard to believe...)
Kou: ...ore no koto daisuki datta ze, kono ko. (...but the girl really loved me.)
Azuma: Omae mo ka? (Was it mutual?)
Kou: ...aa. (...yes.)
Azuma: Sou ka. (I see)
Azuma: Shindoi na, omae tachi. (It must be a burden for you guys).

You're right that Azuma was referring to Aoba and Kou when he said "omae tachi" in that scene. He immediately realized that the burden fell hardest on Kou AND Aoba. Kou thought that remark was meant to be directed at him only, so he was confused by "you guys."

I don't see that as a non-committal grunt from Kou. That's a low-key "yes" from a guy that's probably never had to admit out loud how he felt about Wakaba - everyone else that mattered (sorry, Senda) already knew. That syllable uttered in that context means "yes," and 99+% of Japanese speakers would interpret it that way. (Yes, BetoJR, I know you know that already, but I just want to clarify it for others.)
I guess it is the magic of the mangaka here -- keep people guessing. To me, it is a late reply of yes. That mean it is difficult for Kou to said it. Why is it difficult? It could be he loves her so much, or he only realized how much he loves her only after she is gone. Love or not, he definitely has strong feelings for waka.

Anyway, it is painful for me to see Aoba not playing in Seishu team
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 04:24   Link #1135
poko-kun

Finished ep. 26

I think I'm going to support AzumaxKou pairing.

Kidding ne, but those two are so adorable.
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 11:54   Link #1136
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
Finished ep. 26

I think I'm going to support AzumaxKou pairing.

Kidding ne, but those two are so adorable.
Hey - this isn't OoFuri here!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 13:15   Link #1137
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hey - this isn't OoFuri here!
eh? wrong thread?

This episode is priceless, you gotta love this smile.
Spoiler for say cheese:

I swear, he was smiling....
poko-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 14:04   Link #1138
Johnny
Working the bags...

I like Azuma's character, but his eyes remind me too much of Papillon from Busou Renkin...*shudders at remembering his swimsuit*
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 18:42   Link #1139
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Before Azuma's smile at Kou's remark, you can sense that Azuma has opened up to trust Kou by admitting that he was responsible for his brother's baseball career ending injury, especially for someone as tight-lipped as Azuma to admit something so private means a lot.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-27, 18:59   Link #1140
LusterFlare
Lost.

I love how this anime is such a faithful adaption to the manga.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports