AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-24, 15:35   Link #41
davFunereal
Village watchman.

Well, Episode Two has been released by Lunar. Daphne in the Brilliant Blue Torrents.

Let's see what happened to Maia.
davFunereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-24, 17:12   Link #42
Yakumae
Queen of the Gum-Gums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansible
I'm thinking that at this point there are a couple of possibilities for further plot development:

1) she scored so high that she was accepted to some uber-secret ocean institute agency (ie the Pantsless Crimefighting League or somehting) instead of the regular ocean institute and they haven't let her know yet.

2) she'll end up working for the PCL because of being shot for some reason, like she becomes aware of the existence of the PCL and applies for a job, or whatever. Or they become aware of her and her high scores. Probably she'll turn out to be a better shot that that red haired chick.
Hehe... (I haven't seen two yet so...) I must be a HUGE dork, cause all I kept having was flashbacks to Robocop. I was thinking they were going to "kill" her to reprogram her as a secret cop or something like that.
Yakumae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 03:50   Link #43
babbito2k
annoying white bat

This show is a bummer.

I think the whole plot of the first two episodes is gimmicky and mean-spirited. I would be surprised if there was much more to this than a rehashed Najica. At least in Najica they didn't strip every time they wanted to do anything!

I don't like the characters or the way they look. There were some glaring weaknesses in the overall visual work (for example, the bridge with the train going over it). I can't remember being bowled over by the music or anything else really.

I don't mean to ruin anybody's day but hey, there are other shows out there.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 04:07   Link #44
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
This show is a bummer.

I think the whole plot of the first two episodes is gimmicky and mean-spirited. I would be surprised if there was much more to this than a rehashed Najica. At least in Najica they didn't strip every time they wanted to do anything!

I don't like the characters or the way they look. There were some glaring weaknesses in the overall visual work (for example, the bridge with the train going over it). I can't remember being bowled over by the music or anything else really.

I don't mean to ruin anybody's day but hey, there are other shows out there.
Well only 2 episodes has been released so far, why so quick to judge. Besides the skimpy female uniforms I actually like it and I think it has some potential for a decent plot. Whats actually terrible is Cosprayers, watch the first 5min of ep2 then immediately deleted it.
Old 2004-01-27, 04:40   Link #45
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
Well only 2 episodes has been released so far, why so quick to judge.
True, I am quick to judge. But I don't see anything to look forward to after those 2 eps.
Quote:
Besides the skimpy female uniforms I actually like it and I think it has some potential for a decent plot.
I thought the plot was contrived. I like scenes more than plot and I didn't see any good scenes. That whole hostage bit in ep. 2 gave me the creeps. I don't object to the uniforms, I object to the stripping.

Quote:
Whats actually terrible is Cosprayers, watch the first 5min of ep2 then immediately deleted it.
Didn't make it that far myself... couldn't get through first ep.

Anyway, I just wanted give a snap judgement of the show. It's not like I wish anyone ill for enjoying it.

edit: now that mass disenchantment has set in I have come back to admire my own foresight.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-04 at 18:13.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 06:46   Link #46
Mistwrath
Always confused . . .

Well, this series has potential in my opinion, I am definitely giving this one a chance and see how it moves on.

Sometimes, things can turn out in an unexpected turn of events
Mistwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 13:02   Link #47
Yakumae
Queen of the Gum-Gums

I *might* watch episode three... just to give it one more chance. I was so hoping after the first episode that this would be like a underwater Twin Spica with older characters, and no ghosts... but alas it looks like it is an excuse for excessive fanservice. That or it thinks it has to have the fanservice or no one would watch.

The turning point for me what when they were going after the girl and they stripped their uniforms off so they could go after here in their "underwear" (which is pretty much what they did). There was no point to it other than fanservice. In my book fanservice should be a flip of the skirt or shirt or a camera angle that shows more than normal, but when the characters do something IN CHARACTER that has nothing to do with the plot or anything than that is just too much.
Old 2004-01-27, 13:29   Link #48
Anlushac11

Cool

Just me but after watching Ikkitousen the fanservice in Daphnee seems...no it alot of fanservice.

I like the main character and the girl with glasses but have to laugh at the fighting outfits.

Spoiler:

OT: Yakumae, who is the girl in your avatar? she reminds me of Hidea Yuzu from Asagiri No Miko
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 13:36   Link #49
Yakumae
Queen of the Gum-Gums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlushac11
OT: Yakumae, who is the girl in your avatar? she reminds me of Hidea Yuzu from Asagiri No Miko
It's Osaka (the spacey one) from Azumanga Daioh.
Old 2004-01-27, 13:46   Link #50
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

2 eps are enough for me. The outfits hurt my eyes so I can't go on any longer.

Grifis
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 14:22   Link #51
mitsurugi_ryu

Well it seems this series is another one of J.C Staff attempt
on fanservice. Last time it was featuring Hakufu the silly one in Ikkitousen,Aoi the ideal one in Ai Yori Enishi, and Eiken Ova the disturbing one.This time is featuring mature looking woman in Daphne. And because of that it is different from normal fanservice fare which include silly situation. This series is someway along the line of Agent Aika minus the panties shot.

It is understandable why some viewers is turn off, its hard to believe those women will just wear that outfit and stripping
without reason. Normal mature people don't do that (with the exception of some community). However I think more episode should be watch before final judgement is made.

Maia, in episode 2 was shock when she was not wearing pants. So once again I don't think she will just wear that outfit she ask to without given a valid reason.Hopefully they will explain in episode 3. Perhaps something to do with the marine condition or green house effect, It is set in the future where the Ocean has become larger. I don't really think that is the case because it seems they are the only people wearing that but that is the closes I can guess at this time.

Granted last time Ikkitousen tried to be serious by including
that narration of the Three Kingdom and Nagatama but fail,
I hope this series will deliver the mood without ruining it with
fanservice or at least try to justify it which is really needed this time. It already have the background story to move it.

However I say it is very much one own decision for dropping the series. After all one can always come back when the story get better and become an instant fan after dowloading the batch torrent. I pretty much staying to the end and I hope Lunar and other fansub will too.
mitsurugi_ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-27, 20:30   Link #52
daimonth
Kohaku Law Firm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsurugi_ryu
on fanservice. Last time it was featuring Hakufu the silly one in Ikkitousen,Aoi the ideal one in Ai Yori Enishi, and Eiken Ova the disturbing one.This time is featuring mature looking woman in Daphne. And because of that it is different from normal fanservice fare which include silly situation. This series is someway along the line of Agent Aika minus the panties shot.

It is understandable why some viewers is turn off, its hard to believe those women will just wear that outfit and stripping
without reason. Normal mature people don't do that (with the exception of some community). However I think more episode should be watch before final judgement is made.

Maia, in episode 2 was shock when she was not wearing pants. So once again I don't think she will just wear that outfit she ask to without given a valid reason.Hopefully they will explain in episode 3. Perhaps something to do with the marine condition or green house effect, It is set in the future where the Ocean has become larger. I don't really think that is the case because it seems they are the only people wearing that but that is the closes I can guess at this time.

Granted last time Ikkitousen tried to be serious by including
that narration of the Three Kingdom and Nagatama but fail,
I hope this series will deliver the mood without ruining it with
fanservice or at least try to justify it which is really needed this time. It already have the background story to move it.

However I say it is very much one own decision for dropping the series. After all one can always come back when the story get better and become an instant fan after dowloading the batch torrent. I pretty much staying to the end and I hope Lunar and other fansub will too.
Lol the best I could come up with to explain the costume is that because vehicles seemed to come with underwater capabilities and with oceans all around, they might need to chase bad guys into water at any moment so their uniforms are well... swimsuits.

Either way. other than the blatant fanservice, everything else seemed to be alright. So I'll give it a few more episodes before passing final judgement on it.
daimonth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-30, 20:15   Link #53
Tboz

I have seen episode 1 only and I wasn't every impressed with it. Firstly the episode was excessively long for me. I actually find it a bore to sit through the unfortunate events happening to Maia. The fillers don't help me in understanding the show at all. This is especially frustrating when it is the first episode and we knew nothing of the background story, the characters and what all this organisations are about etc.

Secondly, the costume design looks bad and unbalanced to me. The extra skimpy bottom seems like a deliberate and forced attempt to make it sexually appealing and somehow different from other shows. Well, it didn't raise the blood in me and I thought its a fashion disaster.

What I said are just my opinion though, I will continue to watch it for a while and see how it goes. Downloading ep 2 now.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 02:04   Link #54
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Ep3 was pretty much what I expected...
Hopefully the subbed version will be out tommarow =D

Anyway

Spoiler:
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 11:16   Link #55
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
Does anyone know what day this anime airs on?
Ranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 11:21   Link #56
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsurugi_ryu
on fanservice. Last time it was featuring Hakufu the silly one in Ikkitousen,Aoi the ideal one in Ai Yori Enishi, and Eiken Ova the disturbing one.This time is featuring mature looking woman in Daphne.
You left out Maburaho and ROD the TV... And strangely enough in the beginning of last year they were doing family shows and non-fanservice shows like Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsu na koto and Gunparade March... Somehow Ikkitoussen changed all of that...

Quote:
Does anyone know what day this anime airs on?
Tuesdays at 6:00 on WOWOW

Last edited by brightman; 2004-01-31 at 12:14.
brightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 12:56   Link #57
Ranko
Mech Engineer

Send a message via ICQ to Ranko Send a message via AIM to Ranko
Thank you very much
Ranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 13:48   Link #58
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Actually Daphne airs on fridays... not tuesdays...
better check the schedule again brightman =p
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 08:12   Link #59
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anlushac11
Just me but after watching Ikkitousen the fanservice in Daphnee seems...no it alot of fanservice.

I like the main character and the girl with glasses but have to laugh at the fighting outfits.

Spoiler:

I don't mind the skimpy swimsuits, but where does Maia put that big gun when she isn't using it? Maybe I'm missing something but in episode 3 Maia's weapon seems to appear in her hand whenever she's out working for the company and it's needed, but she doesn't wear a holster or carry a purse around to put the gun in. One of the other mysteries I still haven't figured out yet is how Maia was alive and in good shape resting on the couch in the company office shortly after she was supposedly shot in the chest with blood splattered on her clothes. When she woke up on the couch it seemed like she'd never been shot.
tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 14:53   Link #60
westsideplaya
Anime ga suki desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuki
I don't mind the skimpy swimsuits, but where does Maia put that big gun when she isn't using it? Maybe I'm missing something but in episode 3 Maia's weapon seems to appear in her hand whenever she's out working for the company and it's needed, but she doesn't wear a holster or carry a purse around to put the gun in. One of the other mysteries I still haven't figured out yet is how Maia was alive and in good shape resting on the couch in the company office shortly after she was supposedly shot in the chest with blood splattered on her clothes. When she woke up on the couch it seemed like she'd never been shot.
Yeah, I agree with the continuity of where she keeps her gun. As far as her getting shot, as evidence in the third episode, they shoot an electrical pulse out of those guns, not bullets, well thats what it looks like.
westsideplaya is offline   Reply With Quote