AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-06-01, 18:40   Link #1
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Building PC and need suggestions

Been out of the loop for a good while so after reading around these parts seemed to be decently priced, I am looking for pretty good performance/price at least enough to play most current games smoothly without overclocking.

500GB Western Digital Caviar 3.5"
Asus Radeon HD 4770
Antec 900
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
500W Antec EA 500 EarthWatts
4GB Corsair XMS2 DHX 800MHz DDR2 Dual Channel
Asus P5Q Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core CPU

(This comes to around £570.)

However I do like the idea of maybe building a smaller PC since having more room around the house is always nice and have been considering a Antec P180 case and P5Q-EM board. But I'm not sure how much power/expansion I might be sacrificing plus I've heard heat is a bigger issue with MicroATX.
Old 2009-06-01, 19:28   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

500 GB hard drive is small for the price considering that you can obtain a 1TB hard drive at a reasonable price. Also, quad cores are generally better for gaming now since the modern games now take advantage of multi-core processing, which will help with maintaining a constant framerate at high settings.

Another note, 64-bit version of Vista/7 is required to use >= 4GB since 32-bit has limitations on how much RAM you can use.
Old 2009-06-01, 19:55   Link #3
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Any suggestions for a good Quad Core? I'm under the impression most of them have hideous heating problems and I'm not too keen in investing in a 64 bit operating system just yet with Windows 7 round the corner so I think I'll be sticking with Vista 32 bit for now. Also would there be better choices for a motherboard if I go quad?

For RAM I guess I can go for a single stick of Corsair 4GB, it'll knock the price up alot but it'll probably be good in the long term.
Old 2009-06-01, 20:31   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Core i7 is the best quad core processor i think is out there, which is alot faster than the Intel Core 2 Quads and they are also hyperthreaded so there are 8 threads, one for each core. However, this requires DDR3 ram, which will be faster in the future and uses less energy than DDR2 RAM.

You can also check out the AMD Phenom II, which also uses DDR2 or DDR3 ram, but it may not be nearly fast as the Core i7.
Old 2009-06-02, 04:28   Link #5
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
Been out of the loop for a good while so after reading around these parts seemed to be decently priced, I am looking for pretty good performance/price at least enough to play most current games smoothly without overclocking.

Asus Radeon HD 4770
Antec 900
Asus P5Q Pro

However I do like the idea of maybe building a smaller PC since having more room around the house is always nice and have been considering a Antec P180 case and P5Q-EM board. But I'm not sure how much power/expansion I might be sacrificing plus I've heard heat is a bigger issue with MicroATX.
I'd go with the Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB drive.

Personally i stay away from small cases just because i only build highend PC's and small cases just aren't good enough for them. Losing a little more space and having a heavier case is a small price to pay for having more room and better cooling in my computers..
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 05:50   Link #6
holyalexander
holy alexander

if you're going to buy a HD and used it on videos and songs.. get a large HD..
holyalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 05:57   Link #7
mechabao

If you're willing to wait until the Core i5s are released during the 3rd quarter of this year, it might be worth it. The early review I read indicates that the new quad-cores may be able to significantly overclock one or two cores if they're all that's needed.
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-02, 08:42   Link #8
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post

Asus Radeon HD 4770
Antec 900
Asus P5Q Pro

The Nine Hundred is awesome. By all means do keep it.

And quit stealing my build, you bastard. It's the greatest thing ever.

You might want more/better RAM if you want to play what's showing in E3 right now more smoothly. I don't have the time right now, but look around for bargains on DDR2-1066 and -1200. If you can't, then get 6GB of that -800 on your list.

The E8400 is very nice, but you might want to look at i7, as others have said. I built mine last summer with that (E8400) at the height of its popularity, so the i7 could wait for another half a year or so before it becomes mainstream and affordable.

About your hard drive, this is more for almost the same (?!) price. I got two of them, and I think you should too. Then you'll never worry about space ever again.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136218

(Yes, I understand that you're in Europe. Best of luck!)

Last edited by Claies; 2009-06-02 at 23:13. Reason: I was being confusing.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-05, 02:23   Link #9
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechabao View Post
If you're willing to wait until the Core i5s are released during the 3rd quarter of this year, it might be worth it. The early review I read indicates that the new quad-cores may be able to significantly overclock one or two cores if they're all that's needed.
Exactly the review I would have linked... I love the idea of owning a Core i7 as much as the next guy, but there's definitely some "let's get the early adopters to shell out big" going on with it's pricing scheme (mainly the X58 chipset, the i7 920 itself is reasonable for what it offers)
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 02:34   Link #10
Tri-ring

I wonder why everyone goes for Intel?
AMD's CPUs are great when you have a limited budget and want value for money.
The new Phenom II X3 are great money savers costing approx. half the price of full 4 cores.
If you are not doing intensive data mining and/or video rendering then you don't need top of the line CPUs anyways.

Right now I am planning on creating a HTPC to watch/record HDTV and Blu-disk with an Athlon II X3 405e and ASRock A790GMH/128M/A/ASR MOBO, the Blu disk drive will be a Panasonic UJ-120 which will not burn a hole in my pocket.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 08:53   Link #11
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Yes, the Phoenom II is playing a bit of a catchup with Core i7, but if you really want to go with AMD, the Quadcore model will be better opposed to the 3 core model... but the Core i7 is still going to be marginly faster than the Phoenom II since it's more efficient but you may need to overclock the Phoenom II inorder to get enough performance to get a decent amount of fps at high settings which isn't worth it since the OP does not want to overclock.

Also, Intel have more efficient mobile CPUs, which always going to blast away the Turion X2, no matter what.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-06-08 at 11:35.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 10:57   Link #12
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
AMD = FAIL, Intel = WIN.

Gamers don't really matter O_o, losing 10 fps in a video game for saving 200 dollars is more acceptable than say rendering a new project in 10 hours instead of 30 hours.

Personally I'd rather spend an extra $500 for the fastest computer i could get and be able to encode my Anime episodes in 1 hour instead of 3 hours or render a CG project in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes.

Anyways the simple answer is... Intel has the superior processor.
Old 2009-06-08, 11:45   Link #13
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
AMD = FAIL, Intel = WIN.

Gamers don't really matter O_o, losing 10 fps in a video game for saving 200 dollars is more acceptable than say rendering a new project in 10 hours instead of 30 hours.

Personally I'd rather spend an extra $500 for the fastest computer i could get and be able to encode my Anime episodes in 1 hour instead of 3 hours or render a CG project in 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes.

Anyways the simple answer is... Intel has the superior processor.
You really don't read the comments, do you.

I wrote;

Quote:
If you are not doing intensive data mining and/or video rendering then you don't need top of the line CPUs anyways.
One more point, it depends on the required standards for what superior means.
If it's price and/or power efficiency then AMD has the lead since Core i7 is a bitch in power consumption.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 12:39   Link #14
Miles Teg

For more or less the same price as a C2D E8400 you can find the Phenom II X4 920 or the Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition, both processor will be better with multi-threated software and as good as the E8400 single/dual-threated software.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 13:09   Link #15
sa547
*Author

And, oh, don't forget to pick out a very decent, easy-to-clean CPU fan if you think that the stock Intel fan that comes with the processor could make a hairball in a month. I value keeping the CPU stable and within a good temperature range as long as I can.
Old 2009-06-08, 13:14   Link #16
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
One more point, it depends on the required standards for what superior means.
If it's price and/or power efficiency then AMD has the lead since Core i7 is a bitch in power consumption.
Yes, the Intel Core i7 is a bit power hungry, which is why there is no Core i7 for laptops yet... but Intel's current mobile processor offerings have better power efficiency and performance opposed to AMD.
Old 2009-06-08, 13:22   Link #17
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
AMD's CPUs are great when you have a limited budget and want value for money.
The new Phenom II X3 are great money savers costing approx. half the price of full 4 cores.

Right now I am planning on creating a HTPC to watch/record HDTV and Blu-disk with an Athlon II X3 405e and ASRock A790GMH/128M/A/ASR MOBO, the Blu disk drive will be a Panasonic UJ-120 which will not burn a hole in my pocket.

Mine is an Intel Pentium Dual-Core Mobile T3400. I heavily influenced by this video footage as to why I prefer Intel over AMDs. Perhaps, this footage don't apply to newer AMD models that had improvements but then, don't Intel have improvements too?

Based on the information on the Phenom II X3, it looks as though it is better than my current 64-bit system as that it has 3 cores and also goes up to 3.1Ghz. Mine only costed around 700 bucks which is roughly 70,000 yen. Pretty cheap!
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 13:56   Link #18
PurpleLightning

that video was stupid... so what theyre saying is you shouldnt remove your heatsink fan? har was that suppossed to be a joke... most mbs dont even start up if you dont have one on in the first place, preventing you from frying it in the first place. amd rocks bang for the buck wise which is why ive never bought intel for any of my builds no matter how cheesy they make their tv commercials. now i wonder what would happen if i took a hammer to lcds i wonder what would happen, hmmm?
PurpleLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-08, 14:41   Link #19
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!

Quote:
You really don't read the comments, do you.
No, I do not. The only thing that matters is what I say.

BTW, People make a really big deal about power consumption... but its not all that important. I'm ignoring laptop applications. Like seriously look at how much power PC's actually use in most cases its not a whole lot.

EDIT: Ive burned up a P3 by runing it without a cooler befor <.<; pretty crazy ... but yeah the new AMD i think dont burn as easily not sure since ive never tryed to fry one...
Old 2009-06-08, 15:31   Link #20
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
I heavily influenced by this video footage as to why I prefer Intel over AMDs. Perhaps, this footage don't apply to newer AMD models that had improvements but then, don't Intel have improvements too?
This video was ridiculous when it was released some years ago and it is still the case The only thing the video show you is that : Don't remove the heatsink of your CPU when your using your computer

Intel instead of putting a function to stop/underclock part of a P4 when it overheat, they should have worked on the efficiency problem of the netburst
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote