AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 30 Rating
Perfect 10 8 15.69%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 27.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 21.57%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 11.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 9.80%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 5.88%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.96%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 3.92%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-03, 11:59   Link #41
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

I was pretty disappointed in this episode, they did leave out a whole crap load of important scenes that would've added a lot more emotion overall. But, they put in just enough to make Ishbal understandable and give us a good picture of what it was like, would've liked to see a lot more, but it was still a good episode.
Old 2009-11-03, 12:17   Link #42
Ziziphus
Whatever

I'm tired of complaining, so I won't.

The episode was a bit disappointing, and could have been much better, but judging it by itself and not comparing it to the manga it was an ok episode. And I'm expecting more of the Ishbal flashbacks to be shown later too, like some people think (in fact I expect more of it next episode, although the preview didn't hint anything).
Old 2009-11-03, 15:52   Link #43
saravis

As a non-manga watcher, I enjoyed the episode perfectly well. They got their point across and any additional scenes would have been redundant to me. Those omitted scenes would be put to better use later as flashback scenes to rekindle understanding and emotions rather than all jammed into one episode. That way when the time comes where that feeling, brought about by this episode, will be needed again they won't have to either, A: show the same scenes again diminishing impact because of repeated showings or B: not show them at all causing an even further diminishing of impact. I'm not saying that the omitted scenes will be still shown, I'm just saying I would much rather they save them for later uses rather than jam them into one episode that had already gotten its point across.
Old 2009-11-03, 16:36   Link #44
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Those omitted scenes would be put to better use later as flashback scenes to rekindle understanding and emotions rather than all jammed into one episode.
The biggest omitted scene, involving the arch priest, General Fessler, Major Gran and Lieutenant Huges is unlikely to be used as a flashback later on.
Every single character appearing in the scene are dead already.

Major Gran has a terrible luck with Bones. He was used as an evil antagonist in the first series, and in this one his coolest manly moments were omitted.
He's one of my most favorite alchemist in the series, I'm sheding tears of blood over not being able to see it animated.

At least he got a cool battle scene with Scar added early on in the series.
Old 2009-11-03, 17:45   Link #45
Maxtro

Whine whine whine. As an anime only watcher that's all I see on this thread.

I liked what I saw and I expected and expected to read similar thoughts from other posters. But the only thing here are whining manga fanboys complaining how the episode sucked because it wasn't exactly like the manga

You guys ruin the episode discussion threads. I really think there should be a separate thread for the weekly episode discussion where the manga readers can go post.
Old 2009-11-03, 18:15   Link #46
GaimeGuy

All we're saying is that the ishval volume within the manga provides an incredibly detailed storyboard that could be directly adapted and animated into almost a feature-length award-winning war movie (certainly at least two episodes with 20-minutes of content and ~3 minutes of OP/ED each, and probably even 3).

Reducing it to a single 30 minute episode (with some of the other scenes spliced up and spread throughout the rest of the series) resulted in a product that completely failed to live up to its potential, and didn't even work well as much of a bare-bones direct adaptation anyways (more of a summary, with the best moments removed).
Old 2009-11-03, 19:05   Link #47
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post

I liked what I saw and I expected and expected to read similar thoughts from other posters. But the only thing here are whining manga fanboys complaining how the episode sucked because it wasn't exactly like the manga

You guys ruin the episode discussion threads. I really think there should be a separate thread for the weekly episode discussion where the manga readers can go post.
This is a forum where we post our own opinions, and that's what we're doing. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear, though that's the truth. We're free to speak our minds, and that's what we're doing.

Are we supposed to go against what we think, and say it was a good episode just so you'll be happy?
Old 2009-11-03, 19:18   Link #48
Eater of All
NOM

As an anime-only viewer, I find this episode to be pretty good. If anything, it definitely shed much needed light on what happened in Ishbal and how it affected the soldiers and alchemists in general (poor Armstrong). This Kimblee dude also looks like an interesting guy; looking forward to seeing him in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The anime is very well constructed... If you only watch the anime you can't really tell that you are missing very much. Again, manga readers fault something for not owning up to the source material instead of just treating the anime as its own separate entity. It's OK to be disappointed that you didn't get to see "XYZ" animated, but to call something badly made because of omissions is stupid.
Expectations are pesky things. Although I don't really enjoy all the manga readers' complaints either, I do appreciate the fact that they're relatively good natured compared to, say, those from a certain subforum that starts with a U....
Old 2009-11-03, 19:36   Link #49
GaimeGuy

I do recommend that everyone read from chapter 58 through half of chapter 62 to see the full extent of the conflict, and to understand where we manga readers are coming from, though. (Not that I don't recommend reading the manga anyways :P)
Old 2009-11-03, 22:08   Link #50
mpt37

The Ishbal flashback was a bit underwhelming, I'll definitely have to read the manga later to get the full affect.

I was more interested in the Mustang/Hawkeye back story, didn't expect Riza's father to be Roy's alchemy teacher. I hope there's more to their past because I've yet to see anything that explains Riza's unwavering loyalty to Roy (unless I missed something?) because that's what I love most about their relationship.
Old 2009-11-04, 00:17   Link #51
GaimeGuy

It's love. It doesn't need explaining. Both of them love each other and trust each other with their lives. That's all that is really necessary.
Old 2009-11-04, 08:18   Link #52
klare

many scenes have been left out, i remember more in the manga, they may be shown later for more dramatic effects

the eps as a whole is good, with Riza and the doctor's story told together to form a tragic flashback and the truth behind the war
Old 2009-11-04, 23:52   Link #53
FSLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtro View Post

It's a good episode, but it's just disappointing that they could have easily fit in one more episode about Ishbal by not having a filler episode at the beginning or a recap. It's just BONES' decisions are baffling sometimes, why devote so much of the OP to Ishbal if you're not going to put full effort in showing the event in its entirety?

Though I think they'll just spread Ishbal stuff around like they have been doing, it's saddening that we won't see some of the stuff because they simply can't be put into flashbacks other than this episode. Not all of us are expecting them to copy the manga panel by panel or something ridiculous like that but it's frustrating when they cut stuff that's pretty important. :P If you can't understand that, well...uh...
Old 2009-11-05, 09:13   Link #54
Kirarakim

This episode was a huge disappointment to me. They cut out so much and even changed quite a few scenes. And the animation wasn't that great either.

The only thing I liked was Riza & Ed's discussion & Mei & Al's discussion at the end. Both scenes which they should have saved to the next episode anyways.
Old 2009-11-05, 19:14   Link #55
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpt37 View Post
The Ishbal flashback was a bit underwhelming, I'll definitely have to read the manga later to get the full affect.

I was more interested in the Mustang/Hawkeye back story, didn't expect Riza's father to be Roy's alchemy teacher. I hope there's more to their past because I've yet to see anything that explains Riza's unwavering loyalty to Roy (unless I missed something?) because that's what I love most about their relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
It's love. It doesn't need explaining. Both of them love each other and trust each other with their lives. That's all that is really necessary.
Best reply in the thread. I guess Riza has an affinity and admiration for Roy's dream to protect the country, but basically she loves the guy.
Old 2009-11-05, 20:12   Link #56
destiny4everlove

Episode 30

-I love the OPs of FMAB, I never get tired of watching the OP before watching the actual episode.

-Riza’s scene in the shower and showing her tattoo was awesome!!

-The scene when Riza tells Ed that he likes Winry was as funny as in the manga. The way in which Ed denies it was so adorably cute!

-When you watch the scenes of the destruction of Ishbal, how the soldiers and the alchemists killed so many innocent Ishbals, including women and children, you understand why Scar hates the state alchemists and everyone involved in the Ishbal extermination so much.

-Hughes. Seeing him again made me happy and sad at the same time .

-The scene when Hughes receives Gracia’s letter was so awesomely adorable and sweet! He really loved his wife, didn’t he? It was very touching how one letter from a loved one gave so much hope and strength to Hughes.

-Why? Why did they change the scene when Mustang meets Riza in the Ishbal war?!

-Kimbly staring right into Riza’s eyes and asking her if she didn’t feel even a shred of satisfaction and the gratification of successfully completing a mission, a.k.a. killing people, was amazing. You could really feel the tension and emotion between Kimbly and Riza.

-And then Roy stopping Kimbly from mentally torturing Riza was so awesome. My Roy x Riza fan was really happy during that scene.

-The brief conversation between Roy and Kimbly was very intense too. Kimbly sure knows what to say to stir up the emotions inside a person.

-It was ironic and heartbreaking how they used Ishbals (to create the philosopher stone) and then they used them to kill other Ishbals.

-The words of Bradley to Rogu Roga about one life only having the value of one life has more impact and weight if you take into consideration how the philosopher's stone is made.
-
The words of Roy to Riza about allowing to kill him if he walks astray will have even more meaning later in the story so of course I liked that scene very much.

-And knowing about Roy’s desire to climb to the top and restore democracy in his country while him being aware of all the consequences that that could imply just made Roy even more awesome in my book.

-May Chang falling for Al was funny and cute.

I enjoyed the parts that were animated, but I didn’t enjoy the episode itself. They left out so many great things about the Ishbal arc that it made it impossible for me to enjoy this episode as much as I was expecting to do it.

[removed]

In conclusion, if you want to know about the Ishbal arc, read the manga instead of watching episode 30!!

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!

Last edited by monir; 2009-11-06 at 01:12.
Old 2009-11-06, 01:33   Link #57
Aesthetic Shampoo

I was disapointed...they left out sooo much, including important/awesome scenes like when Roy kills the Ishbalian as he says "I thought alchemy was a skill used for the people" and the last ishbalian saying "I curse you". But i guess it was still an ok episode...
Old 2009-11-06, 10:55   Link #58
Kanish

Lovely! An episode on Ishval was bound to be bloody and bloody it was. Kimbley really stole the show as I knew he would, but it was nice seeing Roy getting some back-story time as he never got the same attention in the previous series.

And if so many scenes were indeed cut out, I'm going to have to assume the reason was that they would have bored the audience to tears.
Old 2009-11-06, 11:03   Link #59
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanish View Post
And if so many scenes were indeed cut out, I'm going to have to assume the reason was that they would have bored the audience to tears.
Perhaps when you read the manga version of those scenes you will see you are sadly mistaken.
Old 2009-11-06, 11:09   Link #60
Kanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim
Perhaps when you read the manga version of those scenes you will see you are sadly mistaken.
Naah! I'm fine with simply mocking the manga at every turn.
Closed Thread