AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-06, 01:36   Link #821
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Unfortunately I'm not counting on it. Promo pics and various scans have almost exclusively shown the girls only.
On the other hand, episode 5 opened with Wien kun and his friend in Austria (the German speaking segment); there's also the letter he wrote in episode one. It would be really odd if this came to nothing. [Sidenote: As an actual Austrian, I'm pretty impressed with their German. The grammar is impeccable, and the sounds are good. The prosody (rhythm and flow of the language) is totally off, but then that's probably the hardest thing for a native speaker of Japanese to pull off.]
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 02:09   Link #822
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Anyway, probably enough hamburgers and back to the "main meal" -- impressions of the episode proper.
Hahaha, well I didn't exactly expect my hamburger analogy to get deconstructed to this degree .

I was merely commenting that for an experienced fan, Tari Tari doesn't really offer anything too different than what we've seen in the past. Not that I was necessarily looking for something else because i am sick of it, got the usual and am unsatisfied . I am by no means sick of shows like Tari Tari, and it really does have great execution for sure so far. However, I think there's nothing wrong with saying "Well it could be even better if added something just a little different than typical."

For the record I've been enjoying tari Tari very much and think it's one of the better shows of the season and shaping up so far to be my favorite PA works show since True Tears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One thing they could really do to make this very good hamburger stand out from the normal burgers would be to actually focus on the guys in the second half. That would be pretty original by today's standards.

That aside, I could hardly have asked for more from today's episode - it was quite well done. I'm a bit surprised to see some of the strong emotional reactions because I found it actually quite restrained and dignified, and not overtly dramatic in the same way Kokoro Connect's ep was. That was fine with KC - that's the kind of show it us, and it was a very good ep - but it wouldn't have worked with Tari Tari.
Ah yes, I didn't even comment on the episode itself after writing that ^^;;.

I agree, this episode was really great, especially for the reasons you outlined.

I hope both this and KC manage to develop the guys too, but I am not holding out too much there. Thank goodness for shows like Tsuritama.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 03:23   Link #823
Blaat

Great episode, I really liked the fact we got to see a great father in anime. Usually father figures are distant or non-existent in anime these days. I'm also glad there's no single white knight to solve everyone's problems (sup' Kokoro Connect)
Kind of gutted that the guys had the least amount of things to contribute, except making Wakana laugh which was rather unintentional too. Like Enzo and Reckoner I really hope they develop the male cast next. Thinking about though we have 6 episodes left, Sawa needs her arc as does the vice principal so I wouldn't be surprised if the the male characters get nothing. :\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
On the other hand, episode 5 opened with Wien kun and his friend in Austria (the German speaking segment); there's also the letter he wrote in episode one. It would be really odd if this came to nothing. [Sidenote: As an actual Austrian, I'm pretty impressed with their German. The grammar is impeccable, and the sounds are good. The prosody (rhythm and flow of the language) is totally off, but then that's probably the hardest thing for a native speaker of Japanese to pull off.]
Do you know if he's speaking standard German or Austrian German (assuming there's a grammatical differences between the two) Still they should have gotten Tetsuya Kakihara to voice Wien, he can speak German fluently.
Also is it Ween or Wien? Sorry couldn't resist.

Last edited by Blaat; 2012-08-06 at 03:40.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 05:08   Link #824
Qikz

Just finished watching Tari Tari 6 and by god I'm in tears.

The emotion in Sakurai's and her dads voices when they're explaining about her mum/his late wife. My god. T_T
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 07:05   Link #825
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

The alto really dominated in the ending song. Which character is it?
frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 07:07   Link #826
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Wonderful episode. It was very touching and emotional without needing to resort to melodrama. That was exactly what I wanted to see and more. I loved how everyone (even the awesome teach!) contributed a little something to help Wakana, and I really appreciate that her father played such a big role. He's a great dad. Her mom was fantastic as well.

I enjoyed the more light hearted moment as well, like Wakana catching Wien and Taichi in the middle of their "training". That was a very funny scene, as was Konatsu trying to prevent Wakana from killing herself... when in actuality she was simply picking up a starfish

Now that Wakana has joined the club for real this time, I expect she will be added next to everybody else in the ED. That will make it even more obvious that Konatsu is out of synch lol.
Old 2012-08-06, 07:20   Link #827
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I certainly get the point that Tari Tari does not seem all that ambitious when compared to what came before it in the anime world.

But even so, I think that Tari Tari is genuinely exceptional (even within its own genre) due to how incredibly well-balanced it is. I don't know if I've ever seen an anime show do a better job of balancing relaxing lighthearted moments with heartfelt drama. Tari Tari never feels too light and fluffy to me, but nor does it ever feel too heavy and melodramatic to me.

Now, as others have mentioned, the one last issue for Tari Tari to address that would truly put it over the top for me, would be it dealing more seriously with its male characters in the 2nd half of the show. If Taichi and Wien are both well fleshed-out and given something approaching actual character arcs, then I could see Tari Tari setting a new standard for how to perfectly balance a high school slice of life/drama show that has a mixed gender main cast.

Konatsu and Wakana have both been handled superbly well thus far. So I'm hoping that Sawa, Taichi, and Wien will be handled similarly well the rest of the way.
Old 2012-08-06, 07:33   Link #828
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

The star of this episode, for me, was Sakai-dad. It was a great surprise to see the father of a main character in a high school anime so positively represented. When the norm is virtually non-existent (far away at work or divorced and out of the picture), to see a father portrayed as a loving husband, as well as a kind, understanding, and loving father, is so very refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That will make it even more obvious that Konatsu is out of synch lol.
Could you expand on this please? I must be viewing Konatsu through a special pair of rose-colored glasses, so I am oblivious to what other people think is obvious.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 07:45   Link #829
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Could you expand on this please? I must be viewing Konatsu through a special pair of rose-colored glasses, so I am oblivious to what other people think is obvious.
It's nothing important, I was just talking about the ending. Sawa, Wien and Taichi all move in synch whereas Konatsu is moving her head super fast. It makes it look like she has no sense of rhythm.
Old 2012-08-06, 08:02   Link #830
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Do you know if he's speaking standard German or Austrian German (assuming there's a grammatical differences between the two) Still they should have gotten Tetsuya Kakihara to voice Wien, he can speak German fluently.
I didn't really look for markers. There's very little grammatical difference. It's mostly word choice, but Austrians will understand and use the "high German" ("hochdeutsch") words, too, so that's not conclusive. I'm also not sure he's supposed to be a native speaker (i.e. born there), or if he's just lived there for a very long time. I don't think it makes much of a difference.

He certainly didn't use the Viennese dialect.

Quote:
Also is it Ween or Wien? Sorry couldn't resist.
Depends:

If you go by the official German spelling: Wien (don't switch the "ie" around or you end up with "Wein" = "wine")

If you go by the English phonetic spelling, "Ween" would be more obvious.

But in Tari Tari it's probably Wiin (or that double i that I can't type), or more properly, ヰイン (but I'd need someone who speaks Japanese to confirm that).

Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 08:28   Link #831
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Finally saw the ep.

First things first - Wakana's dad is a f***ing champ! He really understands her daughter and knew straight away that throwing everything related to her mother was not something she truly wanted. At the same time, Wakana crying tears of happiness was a really powerful moment. Imo, tears of happiness or "bittersweet" tears are always more effective at conveying emotion than pure happiness or sadness in themselves.

And whilst on the topic of drama, what a masterful balance this episode had. From Wakana's dad taking care of her daughter's fever to the flashbacks to Wakana's self-realization, everything was spot on, direction was top notch and the pacing was just right. Some people call this show unambitious, but I call bollocks on that now. How tempting and easy would it have been to have made this episode a melodramatic cry-fest? But, nope the production team of Tari Tari decided to screw that and maintain its posture and kept it genuine, kept it subtle, kept it real. Not selling out to the theatre-loving crowd that love to boast about how much tear buckets they filled! That my friends, takes balls. I haven't seen this level of genuine, restrained subtlety by PA Works since True Tears, and I am leaping for joy atm for they have not forgotten (other shows that comes to mind that showed this level of genuinity was Bunny Drop, Wandering Son and Cross Game).

And the comedy? Well, with the exception of that crazy Spanish guy, Tari Tari has always used pinpoint, restrained punchlines and it was no different this episode. Precise moments like Konatsu pouting when Sawa jokingly suggested that Wakana was ignoring for being a pain the in the ass, Wakana's dad asking Dora (cat) where Wakana went then finds out that there microwave for breakfast, Sawa teasing that her mother looked better when she was younger and last but not least Wien and Taichi doing "exercises" and being caught redhanded by Wakana. Simple, short bursts of restrained comedy that doesn't linger longer than it should.

And the final scene of the cast singing Mahiru's song, which continues to being the ending of the episode - Pure win. The music in this series continues to be a solid element of Tari Tari, which if it hasn't already dispelled all myths of being a K-on clone - which K-on severely lacked in the first place anyway.

I already mentioned this on the Kokoro Connect thread but seriously who needs gimmicks if you're gonna half-ass them anyway - [Note: Spoiler to Kokoro Connect episode 5, click at your own caution]. Who gives a s*** if you're having steak but a good chunk of it is loaded with unedible saturated fat. I rather have burgers from the PA Works Tari Tari burgerstand - the best burger joint in the country.

EDIT: Based off Sawa's reactions to her dad in this episode and in the PV, looks like her arc is up next. Parent vs child dispute gogo (w/o melodrama please).

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-08-06 at 09:13.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 08:52   Link #832
EroKing

Anime needs to give more love to parents like we are seeing here This series is really something special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's nothing important, I was just talking about the ending. Sawa, Wien and Taichi all move in synch whereas Konatsu is moving her head super fast. It makes it look like she has no sense of rhythm.
I wonder if getting her butt slapped all the time has anything to do with it
Old 2012-08-06, 09:53   Link #833
broken270
Defying gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
The alto really dominated in the ending song. Which character is it?
Alto sounds like Sawa. If I am correct:

Wakana - Soprano
Konatsu - Soprano/ Mezzo-Soprano
Sawa - Alto
Atsushi (Wein) - Tenor
Taichi - Baritone/Bass

As the ending credits rolled, and the chorus started playing, I could not help but try to following it along with my own vocal range. The episode was fantastic, but the ending really sealed the deal for me when Wakana decided to turn on the cassette. I was trying to follow along with the tenor line as best as I can, because I have a soft spot when it comes to choral music.

Last edited by broken270; 2012-08-06 at 10:03.
broken270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 10:09   Link #834
Marower

Tari Tari is almost growing with each episode. I am really happy with this episode, greatly executed. If this continues, Tari Tari will be PA Work's best anime.

I hope the boys get some more focus in the coming episodes. Would be fun

Marower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 10:57   Link #835
ookamigirl

Wakana resting at home.
The choir club continues their activities.
Konatsu's little dip in the sea puddle was LOL
I was surprised Konatsu decided to visit her.
At least she know how to cheer people up unintentionally.
Flashbacks to Wakana's childhood were nice.
An unexpected present and horseback riding cheered her up too.
Wakana gilt tripping herself was a downer...
Good thing it was a short one ^^
Well, at least she accepted her feelings for her mother and dealt with them.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 12:34   Link #836
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

I've been fluctuating between warm and lukewarm on Tari Tari from the beginning, but I'll tip my hat in this case. That was a fantastic episode, and much more effective than the last few.

I'll concur that Wakana's father is goddamned superhero, refreshingly so. But if you'll forgive me, I've got to give it up for Sawa this week. Everyone helped Wakana pull herself together in their own way, but it was Sawa who played her part most elegantly. She read Wakana perfectly, and knew exactly how to lift her spirits without making it obvious that's what she was up to. Then when she had Wakana on Sabure, she recognizing when her line of conversation was causing Wakana to backslide, she set him trotting to keep her distracted. It was so sweet and thoughtful, but subtly so.

When something makes me teary-eyed, it's rarely out of sadness, but instead comes when I'm hit with a wave of relief. As a result, I was perfectly fine until the father produced the "dolphin" to reveal that he hadn't thrown it away, just after Wakana had realized what a mistake she'd made. That impaled me right through the feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's melodrama? D:
In the most literal sense. Assuming you take the original meaning of the word, since it's a story with both music and drama.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 16:06   Link #837
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I love this show even more, I haven't shed tears of sadness since Clannad
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 17:45   Link #838
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

All I want to say, is that the guys are epic. I swear, when Wankana went in the clubroom and found Wien and Batominton going at it I was rolling on the floor.

And also, I find this lack of Sawa... Disturbing.

I'm seeing a romance between Sawa and Badminton, but that's just me... It'll take a few more episodes before I can confirm my theory, but I can see the foundation works.

Konatsu is so going to be fetish fuel later on in doujinshis. Butt Spanking and other stuffz...

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 18:23   Link #839
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
And also, I find this lack of Sawa... Disturbing.
Not only that but there's been a seriously disturbing lack of Sawa-chan's amazing fashion sense as of late. I want... Nay, I DEMAND moar awesome Sawa-chan fashion sense! Moar amazing hairdos! Moar amazing hats! MOAR I TELLS YA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturia Polaris View Post
I'm seeing a romance between Sawa and Badminton, but that's just me... It'll take a few more episodes before I can confirm my theory, but I can see the foundation works.
Agreed, I got that impression on episode 5 and the preview for episode 7 seems to point in that direction as well. Can't wait till next week.
Old 2012-08-06, 18:28   Link #840
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Not only that but there's been a seriously disturbing lack of Sawa-chan's amazing fashion sense as of late. I want... Nay, I DEMAND moar awesome Sawa-chan fashion sense! Moar amazing hairdos! Moar amazing hats! MOAR I TELLS YA!

Agreed, I got that impression on episode 5 and the preview for episode 7 seems to point in that direction as well. Can't wait till next week.
I agree with everything he said. We need moar Sawa. Moar epic tsundere chan and fashion.

And this anime needs moar romance. Sawa and Badminton ftw

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, music, original anime, pa works