AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 151 66.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 17.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 8.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 4.39%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 1.75%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.44%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 1.75%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-16, 02:12   Link #401
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

In regards to the topic, I gave this episode a 6. Mostly because I felt like I wasn't hooked this entire episode at all. There was none of that usual harmony between the animation, the music, and the voice acting that really made it hit home for me, especially for such a crucial episode. I see that I'm part of a vast minority in this respect.

Perhaps I'm blinded by the dramatic images in my head of how these scenes should play out, but it just wasn't *bam* like some of the previous episodes.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-02-16 at 03:13. Reason: removed off topic part
Old 2009-02-16, 03:37   Link #402
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Chaos;Head , End of Evangelion, "Death of the Author" ... you guys sure went wild tonight (in my timezone), didn't you ?

Can we please get back on topic? This thread is to discuss Toradora 19, as I said in one of the previous threads, all this off topicness will discourage other people to post in here. The most off topics posts were deleted (those I could catch since they are so many). I realize there's a certain excitement going on since what happened in this episode, but please keep the good spirit and the will of discuss actually related things.
In case you think you've already beaten the subjects to death, then please refrain from posting, just a mere 56 hours and we'll have a Toradora 20 on this Earth. ^^

---

As for this episode, I loved it but I gave it "only" a 9. Why? I think the anime committed the same error already made in the past, which perhaps isn't really an error but rather a misjudgement from whoever created the anime. Let's face it, we've seen 19 episodes, but the quantity, quality, solidity of the contents could not fit in 19 episodes, as it needed at least 5-6 more.
The same was for ep.19. My opinion is that they shrunk at least 30-35 minutes of footage in a mere 20 minutes. That's why all felt kinda rushed, and Minori popping out just during Taiga's outburst felt too convenient to be true. Now if only they could/would have cared to explain the details. Basically if they showed us not only the status quo but also all that lied behind .. well.. it might have been a different thing.

I'm also watching Clannad After Story, and I can definitely see all the advantages of telling a huge (in every senses) story in 46-48 episodes rather than in 24-25.

Still Toradora remains a gem, that I would wholeheartedly suggest to almost everyone.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2009-02-16 at 05:16. Reason: typo
Old 2009-02-16, 04:11   Link #403
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Ahhh this was just an awesome episode. This weekend, anime forced me into emotion overdrive, and too tired from it, and can't even think clearly right now at this late hour. arg. Taiga finally coming true with her feelings was such an awesome scene.

The duet wasn't so bad at all either.
Old 2009-02-16, 07:30   Link #404
typhonsentra

It's ironic you'd say that Pellisier, as this episode was the slowest content-wise of burning through the book material to date (Less than a chapter and a half). They didn't skip (As in shorten or omit) a single scene for time reasons, all changes were directorial decisions.

I also don't like Clannad much (That last episode in particular was awful) but that's a different argument all together.
Old 2009-02-16, 07:49   Link #405
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
hum. I always wondered if Ryu at a certain point was more in love with idea of liking Minorin than actually still have feelings for her.

I started to wonder this after his talk with Ami in the gym where he displayed all the classic signs of jealousy. I figured Taiga out a long time ago and her actions this time around proved that it was going to take moment on Ryu and Minorin's part for her to act. Watching her chase after Ryu and cry in the street summed up her feelings well enough.

Now lets see if Ryu can actually come to terms with her feelings after being rejected before he even confessed OUCH.
Old 2009-02-16, 09:07   Link #406
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Ryuji gave Minorin an indirect confession when he said he'd be waiting for her at the party and with everything else he said as they fixed up that start too. But yeah.. he got shot down bad. lol.
Old 2009-02-16, 09:29   Link #407
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
Ryuji gave Minorin an indirect confession when he said he'd be waiting for her at the party and with everything else he said as they fixed up that start too. But yeah.. he got shot down bad. lol.
yeah...it was so heartbreaking to see minorin have to cover her eyes with her hat though, or was it a hoody? i can't remember. this whole "it's better off that i don't see ghosts/i really don't want to see them", i think that's like a trigger line for ryuuji trying even more to get her to see them again? perhaps?
Old 2009-02-16, 09:33   Link #408
wistfulloner

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
yeah...it was so heartbreaking to see minorin have to cover her eyes with her hat though, or was it a hoody? i can't remember. this whole "it's better off that i don't see ghosts/i really don't want to see them", i think that's like a trigger line for ryuuji trying even more to get her to see them again? perhaps?
It's a beanie.

Yes, it was a painful scene, all the way from Santa Ryuji to the end. Minori thought it was for Taiga's own good, Taiga thought it was for Ryuji's own good, and Ryuji thought it was for the good of everyone except Ami.
Old 2009-02-16, 09:43   Link #409
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wistfulloner View Post
It's a beanie.

Yes, it was a painful scene, all the way from Santa Ryuji to the end. Minori thought it was for Taiga's own good, Taiga thought it was for Ryuji's own good, and Ryuji thought it was for the good of everyone except Ami.
hhaha...poor ami. anyone think she's over ryuuji now? if i were her i would definitely be over him
Old 2009-02-16, 09:45   Link #410
typhonsentra

I doubt it. I'm still expecting to see her come out and outright admit her feelings before the curtain call. Maybe not to Ryuuji directly but perhaps a private inner monologue or to one of her friends.
Old 2009-02-16, 09:50   Link #411
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
I doubt it. I'm still expecting to see her come out and outright admit her feelings before the curtain call. Maybe not to Ryuuji directly but perhaps a private inner monologue or to one of her friends.
from the look of things, i think like you said near the end she might finally directly confess to him, and i get the feeling that ryuuji will turn her down in some "nice" way...idk, i personally want ami + ryuuji to get together, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen *sigh*
Old 2009-02-16, 09:54   Link #412
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Although Ami's sexy enough to be a model she's the only one who hasn't gotten Ryuuji worried about her, best friends ftw^^
Old 2009-02-16, 11:17   Link #413
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

O M F G!

I cried my manly eyes out at the end! This was such a great episode!

10/10
Old 2009-02-16, 11:52   Link #414
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
O M F G!

I cried my manly eyes out at the end! This was such a great episode!

10/10
Welcome to the club.
Old 2009-02-16, 13:40   Link #415
Mango-chan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Chaos;Head , End of Evangelion, "Death of the Author" ... you guys sure went wild tonight (in my timezone), didn't you ?

Can we please get back on topic? This thread is to discuss Toradora 19, as I said in one of the previous threads, all this off topicness will discourage other people to post in here. The most off topics posts were deleted (those I could catch since they are so many). I realize there's a certain excitement going on since what happened in this episode, but please keep the good spirit and the will of discuss actually related things.
In case you think you've already beaten the subjects to death, then please refrain from posting, just a mere 56 hours and we'll have a Toradora 20 on this Earth. ^^

---

As for this episode, I loved it but I gave it "only" a 9. Why? I think the anime committed the same error already made in the past, which perhaps isn't really an error but rather a misjudgement from whoever created the anime. Let's face it, we've seen 19 episodes, but the quantity, quality, solidity of the contents could not fit in 19 episodes, as it needed at least 5-6 more.
The same was for ep.19. My opinion is that they shrunk at least 30-35 minutes of footage in a mere 20 minutes. That's why all felt kinda rushed, and Minori popping out just during Taiga's outburst felt too convenient to be true. Now if only they could/would have cared to explain the details. Basically if they showed us not only the status quo but also all that lied behind .. well.. it might have been a different thing.

I'm also watching Clannad After Story, and I can definitely see all the advantages of telling a huge (in every senses) story in 46-48 episodes rather than in 24-25.

Still Toradora remains a gem, that I would wholeheartedly suggest to almost everyone.
2 cours would be too much for toradora, I can just see it going off towards a nice end, and about clannad, it's too dragged out, 3-4 episodes of build up towards 1 episode which is worth watching just seems like a money-making scheme from kyoani to me -v-;
Old 2009-02-16, 13:47   Link #416
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
from the look of things, i think like you said near the end she might finally directly confess to him, and i get the feeling that ryuuji will turn her down in some "nice" way...idk, i personally want ami + ryuuji to get together, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen *sigh*
Yeah.. I want Ami x Ryuji too but its not typical of this kind of anime.

Whoa.. I just had some deja vu. lol.
Old 2009-02-16, 14:02   Link #417
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango-chan View Post
2 cours would be too much for toradora, I can just see it going off towards a nice end, and about clannad, it's too dragged out, 3-4 episodes of build up towards 1 episode which is worth watching just seems like a money-making scheme from kyoani to me -v-;
Guess that depends on the attention span of the viewer for this sort of thing (like a lot of British mini-series) ... part of the advantage of that extra time budget is the immersive quality it allows in addition to a much deeper exposition of character development. There's just a ton of interesting moments that have been left on the cutting room floor in Toradora -- absolutely necessary cuts for the time budget but another reason to go read the novels afterwards.
Old 2009-02-16, 14:48   Link #418
Mango-chan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Guess that depends on the attention span of the viewer for this sort of thing (like a lot of British mini-series) ... part of the advantage of that extra time budget is the immersive quality it allows in addition to a much deeper exposition of character development. There's just a ton of interesting moments that have been left on the cutting room floor in Toradora -- absolutely necessary cuts for the time budget but another reason to go read the novels afterwards.
i'm pretty damn sure the producers have their reasons for cutting parts (e.g. BUYING THE NOVELS, MARKETING, etc). what you think is "interesting" to see might not appeal to everyone else. "end it while it's still good", znt sucked because they didn't know how to do that
Old 2009-02-16, 15:01   Link #419
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Ami maybe in for a chance if Taiga and Minori get caught up in shoving Ryuuji onto each other.....
Old 2009-02-16, 15:07   Link #420
Fran~
floating away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango-chan View Post
znt sucked because they didn't know how to do that
Well, it seems that they had learned from that, i didnt read all the volumes, but the things that are missing in anime doesn't change enough the plot... i think that is marketing move... "why read/buy the novel if i can see the anime"...

The main course of Toradora is already decided IMHO... some novel's part maybe will not be showed up, but the core of the history will be there.