AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Monster

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-07, 15:45   Link #41
f00l

question about grimmer and roberto

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-08, 02:26   Link #42
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00l
question about grimmer and roberto

Spoiler:
Roberto's uncle is none other than the leader of the former Czechoslovakian Secret Police. When he was young, Roberto had asked a young Grimmer to "remember" him, that was one of the few memories Grimmer had of his time at Kinderheim 511. Mentioned around episode 40+.

Johan made Roberto his most faithful servant by entering his deepest consciousness by awakening his most cherished memory at Kinderheim 511 - that of a cup of cocoa, and thus making Roberto easy to control.
Old 2006-02-08, 04:28   Link #43
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
And upon seeing that, it kinda redeems for roberto, such a nice character...

My memory is failing me too, in the earlier episodes where Tenma's friend the psychiatrist(Forgot the name <_<)..

Spoiler:
Old 2006-02-08, 07:41   Link #44
Emil Scherbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Roberto's uncle is none other than the leader of the former Czechoslovakian Secret Police. When he was young, Roberto had asked a young Grimmer to "remember" him, that was one of the few memories Grimmer had of his time at Kinderheim 511. Mentioned around episode 40+.
Episode 47, First half.
Second half which shows Nina's flashback with first appearance of Bonaparta and Capek is more important though.
Old 2006-02-09, 04:27   Link #45
Cheesemon
Inactive Member

Hey Emil Scherbe! I remember your name from those Boxoffice threads on ANN. :)

Anyway, I'm happy Soldats finished Monster first. I've hopped from subber to subber while watching Monster, and Soldats' work is the one I enjoyed the most. Good job, guys!

I finally finished watching Monster and it is truly the best anime I've seen. I'm not sure if I like the open-endedness of the ending, but it's a thinker, and maybe I just haven't thought enough about it yet. Hopefully Johan doesn't go raise havok again. ^^; Honestly, even though Johan was one bad apple, I really didn't want to see him killed for some reason . . maybe because I really enjoyed the chase, or that he and Tenma need to live to balance things out.

This is the first anime I have the urge to watch again, maybe because with the long span of time btwn each episode, I forgot a lot of the characters like some of you did. I'm glad no one tried to speedsub it though, Monster isn't a show you can speedsub like Naruto or Bleach. ;)

AND I'm praying that if this show is ever licensed, that they'll dub it in German because some of the stuff like the "Doumo" just felt weird. There's a lot of German-Americans, right?
Old 2006-02-09, 06:01   Link #46
ShikaShika
無罪

I'd much rather see this licensed in Germany in that case (which it obviously will be, if it isn't already). This is the only anime I'd ever consider watching a dub of, but I want real Germans and Czechs (assuming that's what they spoke in Prague). I hope they get a German with a Japanese accent for Tenma.

Only problem being that they prolly wouldn't put English subs on it. I don't know how they do it in Germany, do they usually include subs in other languages on their licenses?
Old 2006-02-12, 11:19   Link #47
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Awesome series! I am not sure if I like the ending that much but in the worst case it's still better than most endings. I just wish more animes had the character development of Monster.
Old 2006-02-18, 15:57   Link #48
Kooky

About the word Fraulein:
Spoiler:

Also, about the name Anna:
Spoiler:

And about Johan's Perfect Suicide:
Spoiler:

About the biblical reference of the monster:
Spoiler:

About the Failure of Johan's Plan:
Spoiler:

The Landscape of the End:
Spoiler:

About Johan's mission and Nina's forgiving:
Spoiler:

Haha, I think that's enough. I typed a lot. My two cents. But I just love this series so much. This is just what I got from the series. If you guys got other ideas, please share. I open to see what people interpreted from the series. I love Monster. I'm going to miss waiting for it's surprises and suspense.
Old 2006-02-19, 09:07   Link #49
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Some of the best stuff I've seen in a good while.
The overall show was made in a really good way, I can't find a single error in the show, amazing.

I'll stay alert for future Masayuki projects and advice you to do so.
Old 2006-02-19, 17:51   Link #50
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Spectacular series. Or rather, perfect series. Easily my favorite anime...

Some questions, though.

Spoiler:

This series will stay with me forever, I'm sure.
Old 2006-03-02, 20:35   Link #51
Mumei

I wasn't sure about one particular question people had, which is
Spoiler:
. I was browsing other forums, and I saw an answer that I think explains it very succinctly:

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-03, 17:10   Link #52
Gaia
ROW! ROW! FIGHT DA POWAH!
*Graphic Designer

I just finished watching MONSTER and... what shall I say... This series was brilliant, in my opinion. Not only the best of it's genre, probably also one of the best ever, together with Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen... but as said, it's just my opinion.
Spoiler:

Aesir
Old 2006-03-04, 10:59   Link #53
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I finished it minutes ago O_O it was unbelievable, all the loose ends and things I didnt get throughout the series get tied up in the end, with still some questions unaswered, it was an undescribable experience!

The real monster had always been Johan for me, because even if life is hard and unfair the desisions you make are yours only, and he decided to spread so much death and havoc. But that actually made it so much more confusing for me at the end, because although he did kill some people directly, most of the time he manipulated others, so were the others the real monsters? or we humans are flawed to begin with, and are not responsible at all for our actions, and rather is our enviroment and growth what makes these desisions? or maybe is just both your own desisions and your enviroment responsibles? and if so which one is more important? argh, so heavy, it really makes you think...

As a note I find funny you people putting spoiler tags, is not that someone who hasnt finished the series is going to surf through the thread of the final chapter
Old 2006-03-04, 20:35   Link #54
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
You'll be surprised <_<.
Old 2006-03-05, 01:24   Link #55
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
haha, sorry but thats your fault ^_^ I avoided these whole forum section like the plague until I finished the last arc.

After the initial "OMG awesome" impression when I actually finished I was surprisingly left with a really heavy melancholic mood afterwards, what happened to the twins in their childhood was very sad.
Old 2006-03-05, 15:44   Link #56
Kooky

Haha, I use spoiler tags for organizational purposes. I like to have my thoughts semi-organized.

There's a timeline on the forum about the series. But this is my little version of it: (For Fighter Volk):
Spoiler:

Hope that was accurate, and/or helped.

Aesir, thanks for the info about Germany. I've never really been to Germany, or really know what it's like. So I would've not been able to compare how accurate Monster is to actual Germany. So it's nice to have a native point things out.
Old 2006-03-07, 19:18   Link #57
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Thanks Kooky, that's perfect!
Old 2006-03-08, 23:13   Link #58
Johan_the_Monster

Awesome series! This is my favorite anime of all time. Thought I have an idea of Johan's wherabouts at the end...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-09, 00:06   Link #59
Shiryuu
Magical Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy
The last couple of episodes were the greatest in the series. Episode 74, for me, was mostly a peaceful, happy sort of ending one could hope for... until the end. Johan asks Tenma: was his mother trying to protect him, or was he mistaken for his sister? That scene was possibly the most chilling in the entire series....
That was pretty creepy.

Now I'm wondering if Tenma would've saved Johan if he were the one who shot him...
Old 2006-03-09, 05:39   Link #60
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_the_Monster
Awesome series! This is my favorite anime of all time. Thought I have an idea of Johan's wherabouts at the end...

Spoiler:
Don't think it's that dark. After all, Nina has forgiven him already, and even when he thought that her forgiveness came too little too late, he still survived, thanks to Tenma saving him once again.

So now he's probably on a soul searching journey to find the true meaning of life, instead of the darkness and despair on which he thought was the truth of the world, those were fed by the "Monster" inside him.

As there's a "Monster" in every one of us, the "Monster" inside Johan probably won't go away for good, but it'll probably be subdued thanks to Tenma's "noble" act.
Closed Thread