AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-07-23, 14:14   Link #201
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
Do Japanese eat dog like Chinese and Korean?
That kind of question always makes me cringe because most Americans can't understand how that would *not* be brutal and gross and horrible. With good reason - I'm not criticizing North Americans at all - it depends on your culture's view of dogs.

It's already been discussed, so I'll only say this: they're not cooking Golden Retrievers or St. Bernards - those are pets. They eat dogs that were specially bred to be eaten, just like cows -- you don't eat milk cows, right? It's the same with pet dogs.

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-07-24 at 02:19. Reason: took out the misleading bit
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 22:42   Link #202
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Well, the answer is no.
There is no culture of eating dogs or cats in Japan.

Land animals in general were not look upon as food very much in Japan, until commerce with the western world came into play.
Even the popular yakiniku bbq style is not Japanese, but Korean origin. (which in turn was most likely inherited from Mongolian beef bbq)
Japanese food culture is based majority on vegetables, rice, and seafood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
To actually answer the question, here's a quote from this page:
That is a very misleading statement.
Japanese not having dog-eating culture is NOT a result of western influence.
We never had such culture in the first place.
Due to nature of being an island nation, land creature meat was never looked upon as a reliable source of food for the masses.
Old 2007-07-24, 02:18   Link #203
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
That is a very misleading statement.
Japanese not having dog-eating culture is NOT a result of western influence.
We never had such culture in the first place.
Due to nature of being an island nation, land creature meat was never looked upon as a reliable source of food for the masses.
Hnn... thanks for clearing that up. Will edit my post.
Old 2007-08-03, 12:41   Link #204
Shiokaze
Hitsugaya is my hero.

Okay, I just came back from Japan on a school exchange. One question I have is kinda weird. I was showing my host sister pictures of my friends on my facebook. I am a guy, before I start talking. The first person I talked about was my friend who is a guy. The second person is a girl. She wasn't a girl friend, just a friend who is a girl. Before I finished talking about her, my host sister just walked away. So here is my question, do Japanese girls know the difference for a guy having a girlfriend and a girl who is just a friend? Or are they offended for a guy to talk about a girl in front of them? Because, I have many friends who are girls. I know this sounds like a really awkward question, but my other classmates got similar responses from their host sisters when they showed their host sisters there friends, both guys and girls.
Shiokaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-03, 21:35   Link #205
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I wonder: Did the Japanese even have dogs back in ancient Japan? I always figured that dogs ended up getting imported by Europeans. After all, I've not seen many references to pets in regards to history (for any country).
Of course they did. One of the interesting things you may have noticed about dogs is that they have 4 legs and are capable of moving themselves. Wolves used to be a very widespread animal, until they all got killed.

And there are dual-purpose cattle.
Old 2007-08-04, 05:57   Link #206
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiokaze View Post
Okay, I just came back from Japan on a school exchange. One question I have is kinda weird. I was showing my host sister pictures of my friends on my facebook. I am a guy, before I start talking. The first person I talked about was my friend who is a guy. The second person is a girl. She wasn't a girl friend, just a friend who is a girl. Before I finished talking about her, my host sister just walked away. So here is my question, do Japanese girls know the difference for a guy having a girlfriend and a girl who is just a friend? Or are they offended for a guy to talk about a girl in front of them? Because, I have many friends who are girls. I know this sounds like a really awkward question, but my other classmates got similar responses from their host sisters when they showed their host sisters there friends, both guys and girls.
Only when they were showing friends who were girls did the host-sisters leave (they didn't leave when they were talking about their friends who were guys)? Personally I find it off-putting when a person I just met recently begins talking about all their friends, so I might've killed the convo or walked away myself.... but not because they were girls. I think you should've asked your host-sister why she left.

[edited out]

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-08-04 at 06:22. Reason: No, no, two sarcastic comments don't make a right.
Old 2007-08-04, 22:56   Link #207
Shiokaze
Hitsugaya is my hero.

Quote:
Only when they were showing friends who were girls did the host-sisters leave (they didn't leave when they were talking about their friends who were guys)? Personally I find it off-putting when a person I just met recently begins talking about all their friends, so I might've killed the convo or walked away myself.... but not because they were girls. I think you should've asked your host-sister why she left.

[edited out]
I asked her the day after, and she is just like "It's Okay It's Okay" before I could finish. So it kinda just ended there.
Old 2007-08-04, 23:14   Link #208
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Don't you just hate that... its like some unknowable faux pas was committed and you'll never get a chance to rectify it.

It may be as simple as she felt like you were "showing off your friends" (see all the girls I count as friends)? Even in the States, I encounter people repeatedly who seem to have trouble comprehending that one can be "just" *friends* with someone of the opposite sex.
Old 2007-08-05, 05:24   Link #209
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiokaze View Post
I asked her the day after, and she is just like "It's Okay It's Okay" before I could finish. So it kinda just ended there.
Bummer, that really doesn't help at all. O_o; If she's like me, the reason she left would be because she got the feeling, "oh, you're so popular obviously you don't need me as a friend". I *know* that's not (most) people's intentions, but talking too much about one's friends too early on, before I get to know the person better, makes me feel jealous and left-out. I know others who are the same way, as much as we hate to admit it.

(It's stinkin' complicated, I know. )

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-08-05 at 05:28. Reason: meh :3
Old 2007-08-05, 22:17   Link #210
Shiokaze
Hitsugaya is my hero.

Quote:
Bummer, that really doesn't help at all. O_o; If she's like me, the reason she left would be because she got the feeling, "oh, you're so popular obviously you don't need me as a friend". I *know* that's not (most) people's intentions, but talking too much about one's friends too early on, before I get to know the person better, makes me feel jealous and left-out. I know others who are the same way, as much as we hate to admit it.

(It's stinkin' complicated, I know. )
It was like the 4th day after I met her. We know each other pretty well by then. And she seemed really interested before I started on the girl.
Old 2007-08-06, 10:19   Link #211
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Of course they did. One of the interesting things you may have noticed about dogs is that they have 4 legs and are capable of moving themselves. Wolves used to be a very widespread animal, until they all got killed.

And there are dual-purpose cattle.
Yes, of course, but last time I chacked, dogs can't swim across the ocean. Japan was isolated for a long time. The only way they could be there in ancient japan is either they were imported from another country, say Korea or China, or were there already. You still haven't actually answered the question.
Old 2007-08-06, 14:57   Link #212
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Yes, of course, but last time I checked, dogs can't swim across the ocean. Japan was isolated for a long time. The only way they could be there in ancient japan is either they were imported from another country, say Korea or China, or were there already. You still haven't actually answered the question.
Wow, thank you. That's basically what I said in my post (that I edited out) but then I figured it'd be wrong of me to be prissy and sarcastic about it, so I deleted it. You managed to say the same thing without sounding offensive; +rep.
Old 2007-08-06, 15:23   Link #213
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Along the same lines, I've wondered about how horses came to Japan. We know that horses were not native to the Western Hemisphere but were brought by the Spaniards. I believe horses were in use in central Asia by the Mongols and the like. Were horses brought to Japan during a conquest? According to this page they were brought by Koreans during the Yayoi period (300 BCE - 300 CE).

Like those dogs, I don't think they swam across.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-06, 21:50   Link #214
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

two questions.

1.What are the most view of Japanese when it comes to international marriage?

2.What would their reaction be if someone mentions the issue with their history textbook?
Old 2007-08-06, 22:43   Link #215
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Along the same lines, I've wondered about how horses came to Japan. We know that horses were not native to the Western Hemisphere but were brought by the Spaniards. I believe horses were in use in central Asia by the Mongols and the like. Were horses brought to Japan during a conquest? According to this page they were brought by Koreans during the Yayoi period (300 BCE - 300 CE).
There's also the possibility of any peaceful disembarking. Japan wasn't always locked up into itself, you know

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 08:38   Link #216
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Along the same lines, I've wondered about how horses came to Japan. We know that horses were not native to the Western Hemisphere but were brought by the Spaniards. I believe horses were in use in central Asia by the Mongols and the like. Were horses brought to Japan during a conquest?
Actually horses were used in Europe much before Spain was even considered a country. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that horses were brought by Spaniards, since horses were used extensively in Europe in ancient ages, take for instance the Roman Empire, which had at The Circus Maximus the largest Hippodrome in ancient history.
Furthermore, it was the Portuguese, not the Spanish who reached Japan from Europe for the first time. After them several other Europeans came in contact with Japan, but very few were actually allowed to set foot on the main island. Japanese language carries several Portuguese words albeit adapted because of this fact.

Horses were brought from China and Korea, with whom Japan had historical relations with.
Old 2007-08-07, 08:47   Link #217
Royal_Devil
Powder Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loniat View Post
Actually horses were used in Europe much before Spain was even considered a country. I don't know how you came to the conclusion that horses were brought by Spaniards, since horses were used extensively in Europe in ancient ages, take for instance the Roman Empire, which had at The Circus Maximus the largest Hippodrome in ancient history.
I think he meant the Americas, not Europe.
Royal_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 08:55   Link #218
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
He meant "The Americas" when he said "Western Hemisphere". (EDIT: Royal_Devil beat me.)

About dogs in Japan: Google is your friend.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/ja...og-breeds.html

You'll learn about the Kai dog for example
Quote:
The Kai inu 甲斐犬 originated from medium-sized dogs that existed in Japan in the ancient times.
One might argue what "ancient times" means exactly, but dogs aren't "new" to Japan.
Old 2007-08-07, 08:57   Link #219
Loniat
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal_Devil View Post
I think he meant the Americas, not Europe.
After I replied I thought about this possibility. That would also be quite far off...
Old 2007-08-07, 09:16   Link #220
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
After I replied I thought about this possibility. That would also be quite far off...
How so? AFAIK the Americas were horse-free in 1492. If that's just a myth then enlight us. (Horses did exist there in prehistoric times but they became extinct).

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture