AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 30 46.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 33.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 8 12.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.62%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 3.08%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-26, 14:04   Link #21
HandofFate

Is the 'drunk from soda' thing something that really happens in real life?

I only ever seen it in Japanese anime and games, but never in a western setting.

Not a bad ending to 'season1' I know there's another 12 or so episodes, but this ends a major cycle imo.

Sure really sure why Ohana can't return Ko's feeling and have a long distance relationship. How far is the inn and Tokyo actually?

Its not like the inn is Ohana's life 100%, she still goes to school too, although we never see any of that.
Old 2011-06-26, 14:12   Link #22
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Whatever happens, of course, Ohana is the future Okami-san, for sure. Might her mother come back to take over the inn? I doubt it, but grandma's dream hinted at it. More hinting of opposites. Neat trick.
Yeah, I felt sorry for the brother at that scene. He's the one who worked hard for all those years, but never got any kind of recognition. Even his position as heir could be snatched away in an instant if Satsuki decided to take it. And now there is, as you said, Ohana.

Of course, I'd feel a lot sorrier if he was actually competent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
The family reunion was also excellently made. The discussion between Satsuki, Ohana and the granma, especially that part where Satsuki and her mom smiled at each other. Tho they have their differences, it shows that in the end, they can get along with each other but don't like to admit it (the way Ohana did admit she loves her mom, which I find admirable). Ohana's conversation with her granma was beautiful. It's the longest convo they've had together in the entire series, as pointed out by Ohana, which to me shows that they are getting closer, and Ohana's really showing a knack for knowing how to treat customers, which Satsuki probably picked up on as well when the deed was done.
I get the feeling those women can get along as long as they're all adults. As mother and daughter, though, it never seems to work.
Old 2011-06-26, 15:19   Link #23
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
Drunk(from soda = =;; ) Ohana is so kawaii

the ending seems alittle different (recap of previous episodes) maybe a new OP or ED next week?
The only reason they did this is that day time TV has a rule about minors not being permitted as being depicted consuming alcohol.

Without that limit Ohana would have been merrily drunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Yeah, I felt sorry for the brother at that scene. He's the one who worked hard for all those years, but never got any kind of recognition. Even his position as heir could be snatched away in an instant if Satsuki decided to take it. And now there is, as you said, Ohana.

Of course, I'd feel a lot sorrier if he was actually competent...
The uncle is easily the most beta male in the show

Spoiler for Don't make me slap your shit!:

It's so wrong...yet so right!
Quote:
Sorry to spoil the party, but whatever happens, I would be very surprised if she ends up with Tohru. Largely because of her affection for Minchi, but also because I haven't seen the least hint of feeling toward him yet.
*The following does not represent a shipping endorsement*

It's more to do with the rate of change involved here. In Episode 2 Ohana actively disliked Tohru since her first impression of him was that he was a douche. By mid season she's actually starting to think he's an extremely nominal fellow (a fact that distresses Minchi, who comically try's to convince Ohana other wise). To be perfectly frank, this is a much more substantial development between those two than anything we've seen between Ko and Ohana, which at best you might argue has merely been static and at worst is actively stagnating in terms of how workable it is.

Tohru and Ohana getting an ending seems much more likely than Ohana and Ko. Simply based on the actual amount of development between the two respective relationship. Of course I also think that *ForeverAlone.jpg* ending is also equally as likely.

Sentimentality alone isn't a good reason to think a ship will work out. Since most well written series don't base relationships off of that kind of thing. They base it off of dynamic character interactions that develop the interactions between the two characters. Ko and Ohana bassically have not had any of that.

Also. Beanman is gay. It might have been somewhat of a joke in ep3, but it's pretty bloody obvious now. He blushes EVERYTIME one of the men either threaten him with bondage, or embrace him. He seemed rather remarkably nonchalant about Satsuki stripping infront of him and Grandma seemed perfectly at ease with him cleaning the room while her naked daughter was in it.
Old 2011-06-26, 15:26   Link #24
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

We need a Mameji thread in other to fap at how utterly gay and wonderful he is. xD Lol, joking aside.

Completely loved the interaction scene between Ohana, Satsuki and Okami. It was very nice to see. The only thing that made me twitch was Ohana´s "Bonburu". =.= P.A....please...no more! Spare us! D:

As for the shipping development...two weeks ago I'd have probably been uberly ecstastic at Ohana finally deciding to move on from Ko. Hence probably more Tooru development.

Now I'm just: Eh, really? Ok then. Idc anymore.
Old 2011-06-26, 15:34   Link #25
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Sidestepping the shipping wars for the moment. The story arc up to this point has made it pretty clear to me where it's going, but if I'm wrong, I'll find out soon enough, so whatever

Spoiler for Episode 13: Checkpoint reached!:
Old 2011-06-26, 16:01   Link #26
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

An otherwise what could have been a great episode ruined by poor execution in a couple moments. Still, a 7/10.

An example being the whole Ohana scene where she thought she was drunk. It didn't amuse me as the director intended. A moment of failed comedy to me. It also ruined what I felt was the perfect chance to REALLY give development and interaction between the 3 generations.

Also apparently, in terms of who is winning the shipping war... Ohana X Kissuiso it is!
Old 2011-06-26, 16:08   Link #27
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
*The following does not represent a shipping endorsement*

It's more to do with the rate of change involved here. In Episode 2 Ohana actively disliked Tohru since her first impression of him was that he was a douche. By mid season she's actually starting to think he's an extremely nominal fellow (a fact that distresses Minchi, who comically try's to convince Ohana other wise). To be perfectly frank, this is a much more substantial development between those two than anything we've seen between Ko and Ohana, which at best you might argue has merely been static and at worst is actively stagnating in terms of how workable it is.

Tohru and Ohana getting an ending seems much more likely than Ohana and Ko. Simply based on the actual amount of development between the two respective relationship. Of course I also think that *ForeverAlone.jpg* ending is also equally as likely.

Sentimentality alone isn't a good reason to think a ship will work out. Since most well written series don't base relationships off of that kind of thing. They base it off of dynamic character interactions that develop the interactions between the two characters. Ko and Ohana basically have not had any of that.
(this isn't a shipping endorsement either; I don't really ship anyone on this show period...except maybe Beanman/delicious man harem)

I'm kinda with Rambo here. I don't know if I'd like Ohana/Tohru as a full blown committed relationship based on what I've seen so far, but given where the show is, it seems more plausible from a writing/story telling stand point to assume that's where the story is going.
(I mostly watch for the female friendships/family relationships...)
Old 2011-06-26, 16:12   Link #28
ChairmanMeow
Great Helmscat

Glad the Kou subplot is over, but that little dialogue during the three generations interaction does leave it very, very slightly open, at least that's what I think. He was an interesting character, and I am curious to know in what ways he can still be used, but all that awkwardness between him and Ohana is at least done with.

On the other hand, I pretty much enjoy how both Ohana AND Satsuki are kind of annoyed that their mothers are starting to actually seem like mothers to them. Ohana is mad because Satsuki is showing some concern for her, and Satsuki doesn't want to know that Sui wishes Satsuki would come back. So much parallels. Kind of sad that Enishi is completely left out of his family though.
Old 2011-06-26, 16:20   Link #29
Lessing-love

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanMeow View Post
Kind of sad that Enishi is completely left out of his family though.
It's a pattern in this show. Remember when Minchi and Nako are comforting the sick Ohana, and Jiro and Enishi aren't allowed in? The show loves its "no boys allowed" sign.
Old 2011-06-26, 16:45   Link #30
Dawnstorm

Like Kaoru Chujo, I don't think we can say for sure that Kou's out of the picture. See, this is first and foremost a coming-of-age story, not a romance. Ohana's growing up at Kissuiso, and so she also needs to distance herself to some degree from the one person who ever took care of her, and that's not her mother but Kou. If she doesn't do that, a lover's relationship is impossible. They'd be falling into a dependancy trap. It's all very confusing for both of them, since that changes the situation between them. Kou might worry that - if she no longer relies on him - he's of no further interest to her. Conversly, Ohana might be afraid to rely on him again, because that would make her a selfish and spoiled child. They're at the crossroads right now: it's either the end or a new beginning.

The Tohru angle seems to be played mostly for its effect on the Ohana/Minko relationship. I'm not seeing any romantic interest from Ohana, there. Not impossible that something might grow, but I'm not yet picking up hints. Plenty from Tohru, none from Ohana.
Old 2011-06-26, 20:50   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

There isn't really much shipping in this thread. I remember the dangerous shipping threads for Macross Frontier. I posted once to say why I preferred Ranka, and immediately got rants and neg rep. So I fled, lol.

Good point from Roger Rambo about the rate of change of Ohana's attitude toward Tooru, although I didn't really see a lot of change, and just cannot imagine Ohana ever willingly stepping between Minchi and Tooru. All will be revealed in the fullness of time, I guess.

Another good point about the fact that "soda" is just a stand-in for the beer she actually consumed, switched so that a minor wouldn't be shown to have drunk alcohol.

Unlike Blaat, my sympathy for Ohana is as high as ever. Certainly it's true that her "passiveness (and) inability to respond to Kou's feelings (were) the cause of the failed relationship." But this kind of confusion and self-doubt, frustrating as they are, endear her to me in a way that her uncle's much less passive ignorance does not. It's characters who think they know what's what that scare me, lol.

If this really is the end for OhanaxKou, then it was nicely done and full of sweet sadness. That at least partly makes up for the lack of romance, lol. I go on the theory that, in real life as in anime, romance is good.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissičre (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-06-26, 20:55   Link #32
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Ohana is now officially the Belldandy of this show
Old 2011-06-26, 21:25   Link #33
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by .x.crii.x. View Post
As for the shipping development...two weeks ago I'd have probably been uberly ecstastic at Ohana finally deciding to move on from Ko. Hence probably more Tooru development.

Now I'm just: Eh, really? Ok then. Idc anymore.
Ditto that. I'd only be happy if there was actual development between Ohana and Tooru. :/ I'm tired of getting excited from little stuff like this. So I'll wait and hope until there's actual moments of actual development between those two. And if not, then I'll hope for a "Forever Alone" ending. Because I'm actually starting to think I would enjoy this series more if there wasn't any romance (Like Aria, where there was only hints of romance but not full blown dramatic romance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm
The Tohru angle seems to be played mostly for its effect on the Ohana/Minko relationship. I'm not seeing any romantic interest from Ohana, there. Not impossible that something might grow, but I'm not yet picking up hints. Plenty from Tohru, none from Ohana.

Well, Ohana's just gotten over the whole Ko subplot and during that time there was probably no room in her heart for her to even notice Tooru in a romantic way. But now that, she's no longer thinking about Ko she might fall for Tooru. But this is just me hoping. :P
Old 2011-06-26, 22:07   Link #34
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
There isn't really much shipping in this thread. I remember the dangerous shipping threads for Macross Frontier. I posted once to say why I preferred Ranka, and immediately got rants and neg rep. So I fled, lol.
Hmmm, well Macross WAS pretty nasty about those romance triangles

Quote:
Good point from Roger Rambo about the rate of change of Ohana's attitude toward Tooru, although I didn't really see a lot of change, and just cannot imagine Ohana ever willingly stepping between Minchi and Tooru. All will be revealed in the fullness of time, I guess.
There were a rather lot of scenes prior to Ohana going after Tohru the second time that established she rather disliked him. Most dramatically, when she tried to use an assumed mutual antagonism towards Tohru as a way to get closer to Minchi. That was pretty different compared to the appraisal Ohana gave to Minchi in the episode last week.

But yes. As you said. Ohana's high regard for Minchi is probably going to prove a more substantial block against any advances Tohru might try to make on Ohana than Ko.

Quote:
If this really is the end for OhanaxKou, then it was nicely done and full of sweet sadness. That at least partly makes up for the lack of romance, lol. I go on the theory that, in real life as in anime, romance is good.
Well to be fair. It IS obvious that Ohana likes Ko. That's not something that can be denied. If Ko had let Ohana know about his feelings sooner, they might have been able to work out something long distance. Except Ohana only got the memo right before she left. And she started become more dedicated and involved with her new home than she did about Ko, whom she still felt conflicted about. Ohana makes a pretty clear point of considering that while she liked Ko, she never felt any inclination to seek him out. Although a story where Ko had confessed to Ohana before she had to leave, could possibly have ended with Ohana taking up the opportunity to go back to Tokyo to be closer to Ko.

That's ultimately why nothing I've seen in the show so far suggests Ko and Ohana will pan out. It's nothing particularly philosophical or anything. Circumstances just put Ohana in a place with people who she grew to care more about than someone she knew before. That doesn't mean she cares about that person less. It just means that when her circumstances came push come to shove, Ohana picked one over the other without a moments consideration. That doesn't mean it didn't hurt when she realized the choice she had made.
Old 2011-06-26, 22:17   Link #35
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

From the looks of it, I'm not thining of putting the entire Ko and Ohana thing to rest. For reasons known only to me it seems, I see it in the way Kaoru Chujo sees it: The way you say goodbye and the words you use can mean vastly different things. Yes semantics, but because words have such different scales of meaning depending on how you use them in different circumstances (no I'm not dragging Derrida into this).

For me, I see it so far as putting Ko on hold rather than anything with finality. She has a life now in Kissuiso, a life she needs to dedicate herself to, and right now that trumps her personal issues with Ko. There are more immediate matters to attend to, given also that Ko is trying to adjust to life sans Ohana already, Kissuiso takes immediacy over Ko but that does not necessarily mean that the entire Ko issue is resolved. If anything, Ohana has shown that she has the bad habit of mixing up her problems together and trying to deal with them in one fell swoop. Now she needs to tackle her problems one at a time. I think I understand her situation more than I thought. It would be downright irresponsible to deal with Ko when she has no real answer or decision as of yet. As long ad Kissuiso hangs inside her head she can't deal with Ko properly. She'll have to approach things sytematically and not together chaotically.

Now she'll handle Kissuiso. Ko, sucks to be him, will have to wait a little bit more.

More comments later.
Old 2011-06-26, 23:08   Link #36
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Now she'll handle Kissuiso. Ko, sucks to be him, will have to wait a little bit more.
This is one things that I wonder about this line of thought. It's not like Ohana's dedication to the inn is some short term, transitory thing that she'll step away from. This is something she's become INCREDIBLY devoted to. In the next six, or even twelves months, is that likely to change?

Ohana doesn't just consider Kissiou her job. It's really how she see's her life now.
Old 2011-06-26, 23:10   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This is one things that I wonder about this line of thought. It's not like Ohana's dedication to the inn is some short term, transitory thing that she'll step away from. This is something she's become INCREDIBLY devoted to. In the next six, or even twelves months, is that likely to change?

Ohana doesn't just consider Kissiou her job. It's really how she see's her life now.
I think there's a good chance she will continue to work there after she completes high school.

I mean, there's no reason why she can't. This clearly isn't just a "student job" for her.

Even if she doesn't inherit the Inn from her Grandmother, I think she will stay there.
Old 2011-06-26, 23:18   Link #38
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Yes that's how she sees her life for now and presumably for a good chunk of the future. My point being that she probably intends to address the more immediate, pressing issues she needs to do there for herself and the inn before she tackles the other issues of her personal life. As it stands, to me I think Kissuiso stands as the more concrete and solid aspect of her lfie where she is going to be rooted. Strengthen the roots first, then you can deal with the branches (i.g. Ko).
Old 2011-06-26, 23:43   Link #39
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
So Satsuki comes in for real to troll their show. Well, she can have a seat next to me.

I absolutely enjoyed that smug look she had on her face and the way she insulted everything. She's clearly bitter but she put up such a great villain role like something out of pro wrestling. All you needed was some rock music and a booing audience, and the mic!

So grandma learned to slap people from E Honda... uh oh. Man, uncle was pathetic.

And Jinomaru shows up to shit up the show again, but Satsuki's sharp and kicks him out of this episode like she should. She also reminisces on how she couldn't live with grandma's rules. (Man Beanman was old back then!)

So naturally she messes them a bit more to add some spice in their life, but Grandma thinks this one is won by her. As for Ohana getting drunk soda... lol wut. Actually, the placebo effect is very strong, I've seen people get drunk over very little.

All and all, this episode offers a lot of payoff, and we get some utterly great moments between the 3 women. It's also nice that Grandma's willing to talk to her daugher, in her own cranky way.

The scene at the end was gorgeous, along with Ohana's realizations and what a magnificent lead up to the ED. The Ed credits was great, and as usual PA works makes everything look pretty.

This is the best episode thus far, and thus I award PA works their first ever "10" rating for an episode. It probably woke me up the most since last episode and episode 1. Now if we could push the series in a direction, it'd do fine. This arc itself was concluded near perfectly, but I wonder where the series itself will go.

Also, Minko smiled. WUTTTT

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-06-26, 23:55   Link #40
deadite

I still kind of think that an odd twist of fate will have Tomoe becoming the manager of the inn before Ohana..
Closed Thread