PolyPerson!

I drive a car merely because my kids can't ride the bike with me yet

It gets me where aI need to go and I could care less what it looks like hehehe

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 01:21   Link #42
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Well, if you (applied to no one in particular) drive, say, a Geo Prizm and a BMW back-to-back, you can see where the extra money went.

Does a car represent social status? Yes...but just as much as your clothes do. You can buy an expensive car and some people will think it's a waste of money, but then again you can wear a nice shirt and some people will think it's a waste of money.

You can buy a video card and a speaker setup and a new flatscreen monitor for your computer, while this other person here will just have the eMachines box they use to check their email. Same principle.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-03, 04:24   Link #43
Legend Ver 2
The Omnipotent One

I guess people are just eajlous of others who can get/or strive to get what they cannot.
Legend Ver 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-05, 22:45   Link #44
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Ver 2
I guess people are just eajlous of others who can get/or strive to get what they cannot.
You reason like my 12 years old nephew.

Anyone living in north america can get what he wants if he realy work hard enough to reach it.

Believe me, I'd rather take a trip to Japan for a year then buying a stupid luxurious car.

And I'm not jalous of Japanese cause I enjoy their cultural aspect and think its a beautiful country.
Old 2006-05-05, 22:59   Link #45
bdragonomega

To me it doesn't really represent a social status. No matter what car it is, I've seen my friends speed, do strings of donuts, drift, burn out, and shift in an automatic car... so yeah, i crazier you are, the more social status you have. Most of my friends that have really nice cars, they drive them safe. Most have another car which they just don't care.
bdragonomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 17:48   Link #46
TamaNeko

I don't like cars - in fact, I'm terrified of them. The prospect of driving a car has always freaked me out since I was a kid, and I've had dreams since I was a kid of driving a car that's out of control.

In fact, I'd rather avoid cars altogether, at least owning my own anyway. Public transportation is relatively decent in my area, and I can always hitch a ride with someone else if need be.
TamaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-07, 22:18   Link #47
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Unless you're driving a brand new mercede's or some other new expensive car, then no cars don't really represent social status. I know plenty of people who drive nice cars but are low class.

I *love* my truck (it's a 88 Nissan Pathfinder, but I still call it a truck. Truck frame, truck driveline, truck suspension, two doors, 4x4, and big tires. Therefore it's a truck.) Everyday I look forward to driving it, by far my favorite part of the day is just driving the Pathy.

My sig pic from another forum. Go Pathy go!
Old 2006-05-08, 23:12   Link #48
robot
Subway Monster

I've never viewed cars as a sign of someone's social status. To me, my car serves the purpose of getting me where I need to go. Would I prefer a nicer car? Of course, but not because I own a 95' Taurus, but because it's been repaired beyond it's original cost.
On a side note, working hard not does always equal the ability to buy whatever your heart desires. You'd have to assume that everyone was making enough money to support their economic whims. Not to mention the need to factor in people who are underpaid for the services they provide to the place of employment.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-08, 23:35   Link #49
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot
On a side note, working hard not does always equal the ability to buy whatever your heart desires. You'd have to assume that everyone was making enough money to support their economic whims. Not to mention the need to factor in people who are underpaid for the services they provide to the place of employment.
Agreed. But nevertheless, generaly in america, those people can also work hard to get education and/or a better job. Of course this task gets harder depending on the stage your at, or fist started at. I frequently see youngsters driving H2 Hummers or Cadilac truck. Wonder how they got such social skills, considering a car represent your social status.
Old 2006-05-08, 23:49   Link #50
robot
Subway Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Agreed. But nevertheless, generaly in america, those people can also work hard to get education and/or a better job. Of course this task gets harder depending on the stage your at, or fist started at. I frequently see youngsters driving H2 Hummers or Cadilac truck. Wonder how they got such social skills, considering a car represent your social status.
Yes, people can go to a University, community college, or what have you, but that also takes money. The problem with a lot of things in America, as with any country, really, is that it takes money to get there. There is also the issue of many of the better paying jobs being highly sought after. It's hard to find a position that compliments your abilities and pays a decent amount of money that isn't already filled. My opinion mostly stems from my own inability to find something better than what I'm doing at the moment, so I tend to empathize with those who complain about not being paid enough.
robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 00:15   Link #51
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot
My opinion mostly stems from my own inability to find something better than what I'm doing at the moment, so I tend to empathize with those who complain about not being paid enough.
lol I'm in the same situation. But I obviously react in a different way. ^^ Having a reasonable earning is acceptable for me. Of course I'd like to be able to afford more then a trip a year.
Old 2006-05-09, 17:07   Link #52
mistershow

I think it's kind of sad, but it does sort of represent a social status for me...young urban college graduates, entering the workforce for the first time.
mistershow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-14, 21:13   Link #53
edkwon
Banned

a car is a car, its transportation and its something fun for ppl who are into driving, thats it.

Ed
edkwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-14, 21:55   Link #54
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
To a certain point, it is.

But when it gets to a point where ridiculous meets reality, no it's not, it's just a way of showing off something you don't have.
For example, down here in Florida, especially around Boca, which is the city I live in, there're a lot of filthy rich people; therefore the ammount of higher priced cars is pretty big.
But the ammount of people who can't pay for their cars or houses is also pretty big. People who're up to their eyeballs in debt aren't that way because they have a social status, but because they try to get higher standards, but aren't able to maintain them.

I personally don't find the car you own that much related to your social status, as I've seen people driving 10-15 year old cars, but themselves they make over a million a year. (Not down here. You'd be amazed at the ammount of money people spend to impress others).

I personally want to buy myself a Mitsubishi Eclipse somewhere around august-october, but because it's got a style that I like (which's not something easy to get). It's not really to have others think I'm something I'm not :P

Although if you drive an 1960 half-corroded Ford, that's not really gonna give you positive points either.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 06:37   Link #55
Lambda

A car which is functional rather than flashy is a status symbol; it shows the status that you've got your priorities sorted out and are almost certainly far happier than those spending in an effort to impress others. That's the kind of status I want.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 09:06   Link #56
dan88

Send a message via MSN to dan88
Never met a girl who really cared what I drove. I enjoy driving a car however I usually just pick up a cheap second hand car such as a Mazda RX7 or MX5 and have a second more sensible car like a second hand Ford Mondeo or Focus Estate. If anything the girls like the Estate cars better than the sports cars.

New cars don't really tempt me but I'm considering getting a supercharger fitted to my current 1990 MX5 Mk1 while leave the exterior unchanged.
The only people I know who drive new cars are those whose jobs require a lot of driving, e.g. sales guys.
Old 2006-05-15, 13:03   Link #57
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Cars are cool but where I live they are definately not a status symbol
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 14:43   Link #58
jojojo

a car does represent your social status for CERTAIN situations.

i witness these things first hand, especially from my boss. i could never imagine him getting any type of sales from any of the large companies if he's driving around in anything but his luxury car. most of his clients are always impressed with his car.

i personally don't really car if i have a new or old car. as long as i'm able to still modify the car to my taste then it's good....although that does mean that my boss would never sit in my car. :P
jojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-27, 23:41   Link #59
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Well... yes and maybe not yes. It depends on your point of views on things and matters such as these. Stereotype or not, it is better to drive a fancier car if you're more wealthy.

Here's the question you should ask yourself : "If I had just won a billion dallor, would I buy a gas saving civic or a sports car like a Evoultion?"

It's nice to have a nice car if you can afford it correct, eh?

edkwon - now is that so? You're quite lucky. Where I live its about the same, but wouldn't you like to have a more fancy car? I don' mean fancy as in GPS, Chrome wheels, Gold encrusted doors and suchs like that. Having a decent CD deck, two 12 inch stereos, and best of all a clean car ^_^. (yeah, im neglectful of cleaning my car too .

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote