AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-02-27, 14:47   Link #41
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The new MBS website for Toward the Terra (official English name) reveals some more of the imagery of this new anime.

There's no more information there, but I must say that the coloring style of the two main character is peculiar. I must say that it looks rather strange to me. Very unlike Nobuteru Yuki, who, in my opinion, specializes more in vibrant colors.

Well, we'll see in April.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 15:39   Link #42
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
The new MBS website for Toward the Terra (official English name) reveals some more of the imagery of this new anime.

There's no more information there, but I must say that the coloring style of the two main character is peculiar. I must say that it looks rather strange to me. Very unlike Nobuteru Yuki, who, in my opinion, specializes more in vibrant colors.

Well, we'll see in April.
I actually really like the color scheme, seems on line with Yuuki's work on the Escaflowne movie, which was visually superior to the TV series.

Also: good to know AA is getting the axe.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-27, 16:02   Link #43
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
I actually really like the color scheme, seems on line with Yuuki's work on the Escaflowne movie, which was visually superior to the TV series.
Blasphemy!!!! 8)

Esca movie castrated a genius TV series. It was cinematic and, naturally, had a bigger budget, but that's all.
Old 2007-02-27, 16:24   Link #44
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Blasphemy!!!! 8)

Esca movie castrated a genius TV series. It was cinematic and, naturally, had a bigger budget, but that's all.
Which is why I said visually. The TV series in better in everything but animation, cinematography and character design.
Old 2007-02-27, 20:30   Link #45
musouka

One of my favorite sci-fi manga getting the anime treatment. I'm still a little confused over why--yeah, yeah, 30th anniversary, but still--but I'm still completely stoked. It's also...kinda nice to see there's a decent amount of buzz for it.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 04:45   Link #46
duckroll
綺羅星★!

http://www.famitsu.com/anime/news/20...67825,0,0.html

Pics! More designs! The entire production looks really retro, nice to see the style still remaining. Hopefully the animation quality is up to standards.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 06:45   Link #47
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

As I've mentioned above, the color shading style somewhat disturbs me. Although not in that bad of a way.

But it does seem extremely retro, just as you say. I am guessing that Izubuchi and folks were reminiscing about the good old days... 8)
Old 2007-03-03, 10:12   Link #48
wao
OK.

Whoa, that definitely has a retro feel to it. I don't mind it, except that for such designs to be rendered in consistent detail the actual movement will probably end up being sacrificed, which is something you'd probably get with detail-heavy designs like Yuki's I guess...

I'm a little worried as to how well this'll get animated, but I ought to wait and see what happens first of course.

But my first reaction really was - waitasecond, did I just see Dianna Soriel there for a moment? - at the second picture...
Old 2007-03-03, 10:30   Link #49
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

After reading Vertical's translation of the first volume of the manga, I'm even more excited about this series. It's an amazing story--they'd have to work really hard to screw it up.

Are they basing the hair colors etc. on color art from the manga (which I have not seen any of yet)? For some reason I pictured almost all of them as having different hair colors from what they actually got, haha. Silver for Physis, a slightly bluer color for Soldier Blue (lol), dirty blond for Sam... but I can live with this.

Oh, and I really like how they've adapted the clothing designs. Nice.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 11:13   Link #50
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
But my first reaction really was - waitasecond, did I just see Dianna Soriel there for a moment? - at the second picture...
She does looks like the queen from Turn-A. But older. 8)
Old 2007-03-03, 12:46   Link #51
musouka

Those designs are drop dead gorgeous. What a way to update the feel of the original while still being true to its roots. Man, I'm really looking forward to this!
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 12:50   Link #52
wao
OK.

Quote:
She does looks like the queen from Turn-A. But older. 8)
Well, for that matter I loved Turn-A's designs and Dianna and Kihel (and heck, half of the Turn-A cast) are some of my most favourite anime characters so... it can never be a bad thing. Yay.

I wonder how long it's been since we last saw an anime with Nobuteru Yuki's original designs, btw? It's as if recently he's been doing more cleanups of existing designs or animation director work (I was so surprised that he appeared in Mushishi of all shows, and didn't make his style obvious in the least bit!)
Old 2007-03-03, 13:54   Link #53
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
I wonder how long it's been since we last saw an anime with Nobuteru Yuki's original designs, btw? It's as if recently he's been doing more cleanups of existing designs or animation director work (I was so surprised that he appeared in Mushishi of all shows, and didn't make his style obvious in the least bit!)
Original in what sense? Meaning, not based on someone else's work?

GUNNM - Kishiro
Angel Cop - Kitazaki
Clover - Mokona
X - ditto Mokona
Five Star Stories - Mamoru Nagano
Paradise kiss - Yazawa
Harlock - Reiji Matsumoto
Xenosaga - NAMCO
Toward the Terra - Keiko Takemiya

Those are his adapted works (and original creators). And here are his original works:

Cleopatra DC (1989)
Lodoss-tou Senki (1990)
Sukeban Deka (1991)
Weathering Continent (1992)
Tenkuu no Escaflowne (1996)
Heat Guy J (2002)

So, the answer to your question is, I believe, 2002.
Old 2007-03-07, 22:07   Link #54
wao
OK.

Thanks. So it's been 5 years... well that's not bad or anything.

BTW, news from Newtype - first OP will be by UVERworld, ED by Kamiya Kato.

ZOOMGJ! UVERworld! I love D-tecnoLife and Colors of the Heart like mad, so this will be great news. Although I hope they give it a worthy OP animation sequence (which CotH definitely had - but not D-tL)

It will be 26 eps. Thank goodness - no need to drag it out over 50+. Now somebody who has got this month's Newtype, do scan in the spread for it's done by Yuki himself and I'm sure it will please the Nobuteru Yuki fans ITT. (I'm getting Animage, which also has a spread... but it'll only arrive in Kino's in about a week's time :/)
Old 2007-03-08, 20:27   Link #55
Destinyblade

Quote:
It will be 26 eps. Thank goodness - no need to drag it out over 50+.
I don't think they could make it 50 episodes, even if they wanted to. I think there's only two or three volumes of the Terra e manga at most, so that could possibly cover all 26 episodes or maybe just the majority of it. I think when MBS aired Fullmetal Alchemist, there was about only three volumes of the manga out, and they managed to follow the manga until about FMA's mid-way point.

Of course, the main reason it's only going to be 26 episodes is probably due to what's rumored to replace it in October (Gundam).

As for the OP/ED Artists...

OP - I think it may feel kinda weird that a series that was originally created in the 1980s will get artist tie-ups because it's on MBS. Still, UVERWorld doing the opening theme is always a good thing. I didn't enjoy D-Tecnolife as much, but I was really impressed with Colors of the Heart, which was the 3rd OP for Blood+. Hopefully, UVERWorld can create another good song for Terra e.

ED - Kamiya Kato... I don't recognize this one. A new artist making a debut, perhaps?
Destinyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 13:56   Link #56
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Short PV here (IE/WMP only) or Youtube (courtesy of Manuloz). Some yummy shots and the mecha are not CG, yay. Brief but looking promising

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-03-11 at 15:04.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 15:36   Link #57
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I didn't know there'd be mecha (as in, robots) in this one. I guess that's what they needed Izubuchi for. 8)
Old 2007-03-14, 09:30   Link #58
7Th
Mixtape

The trailer, looks visually average, with somewhat decent yet really boring photography and average motion management. The editing is also pretty uninspired. Not that you can made up much from that short video. I'm watching this for plot rather than animation, nevertheless.
Old 2007-03-14, 11:20   Link #59
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
The trailer, looks visually average, with somewhat decent yet really boring photography and average motion management. The editing is also pretty uninspired. Not that you can made up much from that short video. I'm watching this for plot rather than animation, nevertheless.
Ah, that's ok. Even if the show could be a little static, it'll be nice if the show is well drawn overall. The nice thing about the digital coloring and effects is that it still holds visual interest to compensate for sparse (by comparison) animation. I think stuff like e7 and GITS SAC spoil us sometimes with their great character movement cause there really are only a few people (in relation to the sheer number of character artists) who can move characters well in anime, at least from what i've seen.

Really only 26? Well, we should get some nicely packed story then. I wouldn't be surprised if that rumored Mizushima gundam series is in the works and slated for this timeslot afterwards...(how do networks manage show planning anywhos?)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-14, 11:44   Link #60
wao
OK.

Fourteen seconds?! Oh well. I kind of agree with 7th in that it's not got anything that really amazes me, but well, I remember how I was so excited after watching Eureka 7's trailer only to get ultimately disappointed in the end (although it definitely had very, very good production values). If anything I'm not particularly impressed by the colour scheme, especially with those explosions, but I guess I'm just spoiled in that aspect.

I think I'd be following it more for the plot than anything too, but this makes it a bit harder for me to enjoy because if they develop the characters in a typically anime-like way or don't portray them in a genuinely convincing way, I'll probably lose interest. (Which is rather unfair since I can make myself enjoy shows that do that anyway, but let's say I don't really have a "hook" for this show)

Anyway, I won't be holding my hopes up too high on the production aspect of it since the studios involved are not primarily production studios - but I would love to be surprised, of course. Nothing particularly outstanding so far for me anyway, I guess... but I do like the fact that the mecha is hand-drawn too.

Tags
shounen