AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-07-05, 19:43   Link #241
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

But, for Funimation, 12/13 episodes=half a season=a release, with a show that's already got a limited number of fans they wouldn't risk alienating them even more with singles and that's all else you can do with just 12 episodes. Plus, they've said that they aren't necessarily distributing the noitaminA shows, for the moment they're just streaming them. Fingers crossed but it'll probably depend on the streaming views.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 19:50   Link #242
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Plus, they've said that they aren't necessarily distributing the noitaminA shows, for the moment they're just streaming them. Fingers crossed but it'll probably depend on the streaming views.
Ugh thats kinda frustrating, its like Oh hey we licensed it but you wont be able to buy it! License Mononoke darnit!

If I remember correctly Funi released Ghost Hunt in two box sets but released Ouran in several, both series had 24-26 epis so, but Ouran was much more marketable then GH so prolong the series you know girls will buy then the one that probably wont sell as well. Again Im going off on what I remember. Im hoping that Funi releases this and its one box set I did chk Funi's site to see if it was revealed how they plan on releasing Sekirei since its 12 epis CUZ I WANT IT but all it says it that itll be out in 2010
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 19:53   Link #243
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

It's funny. I'm having trouble saying anything about this show except "best of the year." Really, for me it might be the best of several years, and establish itself up in my constellation of "masterpieces." I've certainly never seen any show quite like it, for the subtlety of the psychology and characterization, for the creation of a unique and realistic world, for the consistent and deep mood. Fine animation, great drawing, outstanding music.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 21:06   Link #244
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Ugh thats kinda frustrating, its like Oh hey we licensed it but you wont be able to buy it! License Mononoke darnit!
Yes I agree. I mean I am happy they took an interest in the noitaminA shows but it is frustrating to think we might not get the DVDs if we like the series. Some of the series can be really niche though and this one definitely fits into that category unfortunately.
Old 2010-07-05, 21:20   Link #245
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
That's the thing, I don't think they have licensed it. Well, they have the streaming rights for sure and you could call that a license, but it's more like CR at this point, online rights only and they can negotiate for the DVDs later but don't currently have the DVD rights. It's still a smart move, shows that don't always get a good sized fanbase but the creators are getting something from the streaming rights (and I'd love to see more of the noitaminA shows get licensed, and it seems like Funi has a contract to get the newer shows from them which sounds like a good thing to me).
Old 2010-07-06, 04:31   Link #246
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
That's the thing, I don't think they have licensed it. Well, they have the streaming rights for sure and you could call that a license, but it's more like CR at this point, online rights only and they can negotiate for the DVDs later but don't currently have the DVD rights. It's still a smart move, shows that don't always get a good sized fanbase but the creators are getting something from the streaming rights (and I'd love to see more of the noitaminA shows get licensed, and it seems like Funi has a contract to get the newer shows from them which sounds like a good thing to me).
The difference is CR only does subs, it doesnt actually put out DVDs to buy like Funi does so right there Funi has an advantage but like you said they can always decide from the fanbase whether or not to license a show they streamed.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-09, 23:32   Link #247
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Hmmm looking at a few other forums about the ratings for Five Leaves it seems ratings were low even for noitanimA which probably makes an eventual DVD release very very low at this point. I did laugh since a lot of comments I looked at were over at the MAL forum and someone stated this series didnt do well since it doesnt apply to females. Thankfully a female poster retorted "dont stereotype girls". Interesting commets over there.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-10, 05:46   Link #248
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

While I do love this show for what it does, I have to kinda admit that the exact laid back atmosphere (which it excelled at) was sort of its Achilles heel.

I mean, shows like Code Geass may be a bit less intelligently put together, but at least it had crazy massacres.

Also, somewhat of a shame that NoitaminA is kinda losing face recently. And what the heck is up with Live Action Drama Moyashimon?!? Are they trying to copy Cartoon Network?...
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 08:18   Link #249
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
While I do love this show for what it does, I have to kinda admit that the exact laid back atmosphere (which it excelled at) was sort of its Achilles heel.
I've gotta disagree with you there, because i find the laid back slice of life atmosphere, together with the character development is what made this show so special.
Old 2010-07-10, 10:50   Link #250
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I've gotta disagree with you there, because i find the laid back slice of life atmosphere, together with the character development is what made this show so special.
I couldn't agree more. I think if you like the middle episodes of Moribito you'd love this series - because more than any other two that I can think of they do an incredible job of creating atmosphere and developing characters without being in any hurry whatsoever to do so. If - like so many - you found those middle eps boring, Saraiya Goyou probably won't be your bag.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 11:40   Link #251
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

It really is a hard fit espc based on epi 1, no one really knew what to expect, if you only watched epi 1 then one could say oh this has no action, no comedy, (though Masa personally was hilarious the first 3-4 epis ) no romance and that probably did turn a lot of people off to it. I guess you had to see all the hinting done in epi about how the series was going to go, Im sure a lot people didnt or just didnt care to find out. Sucks since noitanimA imho really hit the nail on the head with this.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2010-07-10, 12:28   Link #252
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

To say Code Geass was "a bit less intelligently put together" is the understatement of the year. I've always thought of that show as a train wreck, exactly because its plot is such a confused stew.

noitaminA may have lost audience this past season, but it gained a lot of "face" with me. For this show in particular, but Tatami Galaxy is at a high level, too (just not in a style I personally relate to so much).

For me, it was probably the mood and esthetics of this show that made it stand out, even more than the character studies. The look and sound were sublime, creating a special mood that carried consistently through the show. Mochizuki imposed rhythms on this show the way Shinbou can impose his rather different rhythms. But, more than Shinbou, the rhythms emerged naturally from the characters and story.

As for popularity, the show clearly did not find its audience. Perhaps the hash-up of showing the special when they should have shown episode one was a factor. Perhaps the audience for a show like this is just innately smaller. Perhaps it didn't have enough hooks for certain audiences, in the form of fighting or romance or yaoi or more standard "attractive" character design. Perhaps it seemed slow to those who weren't captivated by the personalities and mental processes of the characters. Perhaps the personalities themselves were not attractive enough.

In any case, my record of going crazy for shows without an audience remains intact (Simoun, Someday's Dreamers 2, Vampire Bund).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 12:28   Link #253
Kirarakim

The slow pace also reminds me of Mushishi (which could have been a noitanimA show but wasn't). Of course I think early on in this thread I said the series doesn't remind me of Mushishi so I am sort of contradicting myself here.

As for the no female fans I think the relationship of Yaichi and Masa would be an attraction to some.

But in general I think it's the character development and interaction that is the main draw of this series. But you are right it's not something that you can get from the first episode because it is something that builds subtly over time.

Another issue is this series is different from your average anime. I love different but a lot of people don't.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2010-07-10 at 12:44.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 18:08   Link #254
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
I did laugh since a lot of comments I looked at were over at the MAL forum and someone stated this series didnt do well since it doesnt apply to females. Thankfully a female poster retorted "dont stereotype girls". Interesting commets over there.
So slice-of-life shows that focus more on character development than plot aren't interesting to women? Darn, there go my favorite shows...
In all honesty I see this sort of show appealing more to an age group or a kind of viewer than a specific gender. Probably because it doesn't have a lot of action or romance (which seem to be what people think of when they think of gender oriented shows) but there have to be more slice-of-life anime fans who would love this.
Old 2010-07-10, 18:38   Link #255
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

This is my favorite show since Cross Game, but I can understand why it failed to find an audience. It's pretty mature, even for Noitamina. There are a few other shows with characters as old and experienced as these, but the list is pretty short (Bartender, Mononoke and Mouryou no Hako come to mind). There's also essentially no romance and little "action," and what comedy there is tends to be wry rather than funny. As Enzo remarked, you have to be the sort of viewer who enjoyed watching people sit around in a cave in Moribito to find shows like this appealing.

What I found especially compelling about the artwork was the way Yaichi was drawn. It wasn't simply his "wasted" demeanor, but the soulless appearance of his eyes. In lesser hands the artists might have resorted to the blank eyeball look (as, e.g., Shiki does) to convey how adrift Yaichi feels.

This is also the first show in a long time where I feel the urge to buy the OST. The score is just so unusual and incongruous (an accordion?) that it reminds me of Honma Yusuke's compositions for Oh! Edo Rocket, another favorite score of mine.

I'd be happy to purchase an R1 release should someone choose to produce one, but I suspect that won't be happening any time soon.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 01:39   Link #256
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I agree 100% actually. I was more referring to the audience-gathering-power of a TV show, in which I don't think portraying a realistic feudal era Japan with a dour tone is going to make waves. I mean, that kind of a theme has been done to death in TV dramas to begin with. So that kinda works against it getting really popular when I do agree it SHOULD get some more viewership considering how smartly it's written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
To say Code Geass was "a bit less intelligently put together" is the understatement of the year. I've always thought of that show as a train wreck, exactly because its plot is such a confused stew.
Agreed, though I can't deny I had a lot of fun with the show. It's equivalent to a WWE wrestling event. It may not make much if any sense, but hey, it's fun and over the top.

Quote:
noitaminA may have lost audience this past season, but it gained a lot of "face" with me. For this show in particular, but Tatami Galaxy is at a high level, too (just not in a style I personally relate to so much).
For me, Tatami Galaxy was the 'better' show of the two. Also Tatami Galaxy being the 'artistic Madhouse production of the season'. Also the director being known for arthouse projects. Though in Madhouse's case and with Masaaki Yuasa, it being a more of a visual experience as well.

Quote:
For me, it was probably the mood and esthetics of this show that made it stand out, even more than the character studies. The look and sound were sublime, creating a special mood that carried consistently through the show. Mochizuki imposed rhythms on this show the way Shinbou can impose his rather different rhythms. But, more than Shinbou, the rhythms emerged naturally from the characters and story.

As for popularity, the show clearly did not find its audience. Perhaps the hash-up of showing the special when they should have shown episode one was a factor. Perhaps the audience for a show like this is just innately smaller. Perhaps it didn't have enough hooks for certain audiences, in the form of fighting or romance or yaoi or more standard "attractive" character design. Perhaps it seemed slow to those who weren't captivated by the personalities and mental processes of the characters. Perhaps the personalities themselves were not attractive enough.

In any case, my record of going crazy for shows without an audience remains intact (Simoun, Someday's Dreamers 2, Vampire Bund).
For me, the rhythm, the music/soundcues + character studies is what Tomomi Mochizuki is all about. While almost all the other directors out there gets a popular following, I think Mochizuki's POTENT talent at portraying characters naturally is heavily overlooked. With Akitaroh Daichi somehow being ignored by the masses nowadays as well (but with him, it being a bit more about abdurdity + character study, if that makes any sense).

Even with the 'low grade' projects like Dirty Pair Flash 2 and 3, you can totally see the way he imbues his characters with an interpersonal dynamic that is often not seen in anime, period. It'd truly be an amazing thing if Tomomi Mochizuki gets his hands on a 2 or more cour TV anime series. To me, Mochizuki is the anime equivalent of Mitsuru Adachi (Touch, Cross Game) in terms of their sheer ability towards character development and creating entire atmosphere of a story with character study.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 11:09   Link #257
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
To me, Mochizuki is the anime equivalent of Mitsuru Adachi (Touch, Cross Game) in terms of their sheer ability towards character development and creating entire atmosphere of a story with character study.
Interesting analogy there. Mochizuki is certainly an under appreciated director, and I would dearly love to see how he could do with a longer-form series.

Re-make of "Touch" perhaps?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 17:38   Link #258
Joojoobees

I don't know what makes an anime a commercial success, and I'm not even sure that chasing commercial success leads to good anime. I do think Five Leaves was an impressive show. As has been stated, the character studies were deep and mature, the music was excellent, and the unusual art style (IMO) was refreshing. The setting (realistic, if somewhat dark) was fascinating.

I can imagine recommending this show to someone, well before suggesting they watch any number of commercially successful series.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-11, 19:28   Link #259
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Sigh. Why can't shows like this and Tatami Galaxy be more popular. It makes me depressed.

Very unique show. The character development was great, you don't get too much intelligent character development like this these days in anything you watch.

The ending left me with a big smile on my face as well. Too bad that this show made zero impact on the industry as does 50% of the shows I even do like.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 03:28   Link #260
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
you don't get too much intelligent character development like this these days in anything you watch.
You do actually. Just know where to look for them.

Tags
jidaigeki, manglobe, noitamina, seinen