AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-08-28, 23:52   Link #21
Marulash

Yeah, I still watch Jdramas. I mostly watch medical ones though for some reason, it just seems really interesting to me. JIN, JIN 2, Team Batista s1-s3, Team Iryu s1-s3, etc... I also enjoy others like Samurai High School and Mr.BRAIN for example.
Marulash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 08:59   Link #22
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Well, there was a Ryoma boom in Japan last year thanks to Ryoma-den, the Taiga about Sakamoto Ryoma. He's the man who pretty much kickstarted Japan's modernization process in the 19th century - one of Japan's most popular historical figures ever, so it might be worth learning about him. It's the only Taiga I've seen but I liked it quite a lot. It was quite highly rated in Japan, and immensely popular, and it also aired in Taiwan, Korea and Thailand.
Might try that thanks.

"The japanese that the Japanese don't know" also sounds amusing, perhaps.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 11:00   Link #23
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Don't really watch Asian Live-action TV anymore, but one thing I did notice was that Japanese tend to have horrid actors a significant portion of the time, which makes it unbearable to watch for me in the past. Both have their cliche style of plots (e.g. melodrama soap operas herp derp) but at least the Koreans actually -some- effort into their actors so it was -watchable- (whether it's good is a different question though) most of the time. Too bad most asian drama plots are way overused these days and are just stale and boring. But hey, I can say the same about Hollywood movies and games as well... (and anime)
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 11:12   Link #24
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I'll agree on the acting bit, K-Drama over all has better acting.

I can't say much else good about it.

Thankfully, both Korea and Japan have decent movie industries, though I feel Japan's was perhaps better in the past.
Old 2011-08-31, 21:59   Link #25
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

After much delay, I finally got round to watching the first episode of RyomaDen. Over all I found it to be pretty good, and above the typical J-Drama fare. I'll certainly watch a few more episodes and see how it goes.

That said, I don't think it's perfect, for one thing, Ryoma as portrayed here is a bit too much of a perfect hero for my liking, and I actually found the Iwasaki Yataro character to be more interesting. The overly heroic and inspiration hero is a pretty common thing with J-Drama, unfortunately, but otherwise the acting was pretty good, with Teruyuki Kagawa as Iwasaki Yataro topping it for me, possibly because his character had the most personality. Otherwise it's still a bit too much on the melodramatic side for my liking. It could use a little more subtlety... But I guess the Japanese are into that. Whatever happened to the restraint we saw in Kurosawa or Ozu?

I'd advise anyone to give it a try though. Finding streaming is hard, but you can find raws floating around, and D-addicts has all the subs in .ass form.

The opening theme is also pretty nifty.

I'd say looking into the NHK made stuff might be a good avenue. Anime aired on NHK tends to have a good success rate. I suppose it makes sense given that NHK is like Japan's BBC.

Perhaps NHK is too stuffy to make waves with the often idol obsessed ranks of Drama lovers?
Old 2011-08-31, 22:30   Link #26
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
After much delay, I finally got round to watching the first episode of RyomaDen. Over all I found it to be pretty good, and above the typical J-Drama fare. I'll certainly watch a few more episodes and see how it goes.

That said, I don't think it's perfect, for one thing, Ryoma as portrayed here is a bit too much of a perfect hero for my liking, and I actually found the Iwasaki Yataro character to be more interesting. The overly heroic and inspiration hero is a pretty common thing with J-Drama, unfortunately, but otherwise the acting was pretty good, with Teruyuki Kagawa as Iwasaki Yataro topping it for me, possibly because his character had the most personality. Otherwise it's still a bit too much on the melodramatic side for my liking. It could use a little more subtlety... But I guess the Japanese are into that. Whatever happened to the restraint we saw in Kurosawa or Ozu?

I'd advise anyone to give it a try though. Finding streaming is hard, but you can find raws floating around, and D-addicts has all the subs in .ass form.

The opening theme is also pretty nifty.

I'd say looking into the NHK made stuff might be a good avenue. Anime aired on NHK tends to have a good success rate. I suppose it makes sense given that NHK is like Japan's BBC.

Perhaps NHK is too stuffy to make waves with the often idol obsessed ranks of Drama lovers?
I'm so happy I was finally able to get someone to watch the drama I thought it was a bit melodramatic, too, but yeah, as you said, it seems to be a Japanese thing. I totally agree about Yataro, he was definitely one of the best characters in the show (Kagawa-san is a fantastic method actor). Most other viewers had this opinion, too. As for Ryoma, since he's such a revered figure in Japan, it's inevitable he got portrayed as a perfect protagonist. But, some argue that he was a pretty weak guy in the beginning and the drama showed him maturing into the Sakamoto Ryoma everyone knows.. His actor is actually a singer, so he showed room for improvement in the beginning, but I think he managed to grow into his character pretty well by the end.

Love the OP

Ryomaden managed to pull in more younger viewers than the normal Taiga because of the cast, IMO - Fukuyama (no. 1 bachelor star of Japan) and Sato Takeru (who's particularly popular with teenage girls) It was also filmed quite differently from old Taigas, with tons of long shots and pretty unique cinematography. Apparently the camera movements were much faster than usual, as was the plot structure of the first episode. I guess it felt fresh. The pacing is so sloooow, though, like other Taigas... I think S2 in particular dragged on quite badly >.>

I'll look forward to more discussion with you about Ryomaden

Last edited by Haladflire65; 2011-09-01 at 02:09.
Haladflire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 01:54   Link #27
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Ryomaden, huh?

Maybe I should also give it a try. XD

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-01, 04:44   Link #28
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
I'm so happy I was finally able to get someone to watch the drama I thought it was a bit melodramatic, too, but yeah, as you said, it seems to be a Japanese thing. I totally agree about Yataro, he was definitely one of the best characters in the show (Kagawa-san is a fantastic method actor). Most other viewers had this opinion, too. As for Ryoma, since he's such a revered figure in Japan, it's inevitable he got portrayed as a perfect protagonist. But, some argue that he was a pretty weak guy in the beginning and the drama showed him maturing into the Sakamoto Ryoma everyone knows.. His actor is actually a singer, so he showed room for improvement in the beginning, but I think he managed to grow into his character pretty well by the end.

Love the OP

Ryomaden managed to pull in more younger viewers than the normal Taiga because of the cast, IMO - Fukuyama (no. 1 bachelor star of Japan) and Sato Takeru (who's particularly popular with teenage girls) It was also filmed quite differently from old Taigas, with tons of long shots and pretty unique cinematography. Apparently the camera movements were much faster than usual, as was the plot structure of the first episode. I guess it felt fresh. The pacing is so sloooow, though, like other Taigas... I think S2 in particular dragged on quite badly >.>

I'll look forward to more discussion with you about Ryomaden
Yeah, the camera work and cinematography were definitely a strong point. Likewise the sets and costuming was very good, which is to be expected.

I wouldn't unreseverdly reccomend it to others, but it's certainly better then most dramas. I think it would have been better if it was "Yataro Den" rather then "Ryoma Den" though .

I do think they'd get more mileage out of a more nuanced or even darker main character, but I guess that's japanese taste for you. They seem to be suckers for the whole non-conforming inspirational heroic type.

I also think they should use less pretty boy idols for starring role... Takuya Kimura was fine (if not spectacular), most of his successor clones not so much...
Old 2011-09-01, 06:49   Link #29
Haladflire65
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I wouldn't unreseverdly reccomend it to others, but it's certainly better then most dramas. I think it would have been better if it was "Yataro Den" rather then "Ryoma Den" though .

I do think they'd get more mileage out of a more nuanced or even darker main character, but I guess that's japanese taste for you. They seem to be suckers for the whole non-conforming inspirational heroic type.

I also think they should use less pretty boy idols for starring role... Takuya Kimura was fine (if not spectacular), most of his successor clones not so much...
Yataro really does steal the show, especially since it's pitting Fukuyama, a novice singer/songwriter-turned actor, against Kagawa who's an amazing veteran. I'd say that Ryoma got a bit more interesting as the series progressed though, especially when he starts getting involved in politics and such. I particularly liked Tipsy Ronin Ryoma at the beginning of S2... shouldn't spoil too much though, if you're planning to keep watching. He definitely grows on you which makes the last episode absolutely crushing. I think I've heard that this portrayal of Ryoma was actual much less conventional than previous ones (such as in Sinsengumi, Ryoma ga Yuku or Jin) - Ryomaden's version deviated from the stereotype of the character, although I couldn't tell you how since I haven't seen the other shows

KimuTaku... did you know he was Fukuyama's main competitor for the Ryoma role? Imagine what KimuTaku Ryoma would've been like! I can't say I like him much... but yeah, I dislike idol drama stars quite a lot >.>
Old 2011-09-01, 11:14   Link #30
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Problem with KimiTaku is that he's everywhere... He's not the worst of the Idols turned actors, but he does epitomize their best and worst qualities...

I just think the Japanese should be giving their lead roles to proper actors rather then these idols who get by on looking good.

Problem for Kagawa is that he's too... uh ... unconventional looking to ever be made lead star in the current J-Drama climate.

I'd term the problem the "idolization" of Japanese Entertainment. Starring male drama actors have it worst, female drama actors slightly less so, mostly because actresses getting selected on looks is not a new thing. It also effects Anime, pretty much every female seiyuu is also supporting some kind of acting career. The difference I think is that Seiyuu focus more on their voice acting side more, and also that voice acting is perhaps a bit more tolerant of over acting or melodrama, in fact I'd say it demands it as you need to project more emotion through the voice then a normal actor does. Or maybe it's just that you can't go so far based purely on your looks, no one sees you when you're voicing in an anime...

But generally, I can't see the best talent making it into acting when they need to be good looking, be able to sing, probably be able to dance, and also be able to act. At least hollywood only selects on looks and acting skill.

If Hollywood worked like Japan then every film or TV series would be starring Justin Timberlake or Jennifer Lopez ... Wait a minute ... OH SHI-!

Last edited by DonQuigleone; 2011-09-01 at 11:48.
Old 2012-09-20, 18:48   Link #31
sudolicious
Otoshi-gami in training

Dorama/JDrama

Hey,

I imagine some people here are following Dorama as well, but I couldn't find a general Thread or anything similar, just a few single threads on past shows. So I thought we could list some good ones in here

What is your favorite Dorama? Are you watching anything currently? Anything you're looking forward to in the next season?

I didn't watch much - or rather, almost none - yet. I stumbled upon Densha Otoko a while ago, but I guess that's as entry level as it can get. Apart from that I only watched Sphere Club, which wouldn't count as Dorama, but well, cute girls doing cute things are always highly appreciated
If someone feels like it, I'd appreciate some recommendations while we're at it. I'd prefer something with an Otaku theme, which I know is pretty unlikely, or something focusing around cute girls, like a school romance or whatever.

List of currently airing JDrama
Let's see if anyone cares about this at all
Old 2012-09-21, 00:19   Link #32
LeoXiao
思想工作

I got into JDramas briefly also by way of Densha Otoko, which I actually found a little bit mediocre. I found Abe Hiroshi to be a pretty good actor in the show Dragon Zakura, so I checked out some other series in which he plays the protagonist, some of which were good. Then after seeing several shows I fell out of the habit and went back to watching anime.

The problem I found with many of the shows I tried out but dropped were that they tried too hard to make them like animes, and then it just ended up feeling stupid or awkward.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 04:00   Link #33
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I watch JDramas.

My favorite is Team Medical Dragon. It's a medical Jdrama based on the manga. As for why it's my favorite, I just found it interesting, especially since I'm a med student. ^^; Oh and also because I'm a Teppei Koike fangirl. Lol.

Others I've watched are:
For You In Full Bloom (HanaKimi)
Boys Over Flowers
Absolute Boyfriend
Proposal Brothers
Proposal Daisakusen
Voice
The Day I Decided Not To Cry
1 Liter of Tears
Ouran High School Host Club
Meichan's Butler
Lovely Complex (movie)
KIDS (movie)
Shibatora
How To Date An Otakuk Girl (Fujoshi Kanojo) (movie)
Akihabara@DEEP
BECK (movie)

... can't remember the others. ^^;

I'm currently watching Tokyo Dogs and GTO 2012.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-09-17, 00:42   Link #34
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Lately, I'm watching serious Jdrama stuff like Gaiji Keisatsu (I'd read the novels if my Japanese was really good) and BG: Personal Bodyguard.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dorama, jdrama, live-action