Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-16, 17:45   Link #741
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Interestingly a shot from Yamato's Shock Cannons hit about the same spot on the same ship type and does this:

No shield reaction at all and the ship breaks in half.
Perhaps Iscandar weapons technology is exceptionally good at bypassing shields? Or just so powerful that it can brute force past it completely. Perhaps the shield shimmer effect only manifests if it's successfully diverting an incoming blast. In episode 2, conventional shock cannon shells took out that Gamilon carrier, and in that fight video you could see the smaller secondary turret doing allot of damage to that Gamilon ship.

(Of course another thing to consider is that these seem to be destroyers (160 meters long), as opposed to the larger ship in that image flipping the shot (270 meters). Still, given the excessive over penetration seen here, I don't think even the larger Gamilon ships would stand up to well to shock cannon fire.

edit: Then again, looking at it...it doesn't look like the smaller shock cannons were penetrating the Gamilon ship. At least not catastrophically. Each shock cannon shell seems to have somewhat flattend against the hull armor, causing big craters to be punched into the hull of the ship. The sound effects made it sound like the ship was getting more hammered than pierced.

I'd say Gamilon ships are VERY heavily armored behind the ship, like Beatles. These ships don't come apart easily without tremendous force. Human beam weapons being ineffective at the battle of pluto seems that it might possibly be a dual factor of how strong the shielding was, and how thick the under hull was.

Last edited by Roger Rambo; 2012-07-16 at 17:56.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 18:31   Link #742
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Looking over the Battle of Pluto, the Gamilon weapons don't have much force behind them either. They either punch a small hole though a ship (the tiny destroyers tend to have hull plates fly off from the impact point, but the cruisers don't) or slash across the hull like the later Reflex Gun is seen doing. The Kirishima tilts slightly from one of the more solid sounding impacts...only slightly more than the Gamilon ships tilted from the impact of the Earth weapons.

So it is likey the Gamilon weapons are not that much more powerful than the Earth weapons at Pluto...just the Gamilon ships are bigger, possibly better made, and have shields to deflect some of the Earth weapon's energy. The torpedoes from Yukikaze destroyed one of their Destroyers like it was nothing, which again makes me think the shields only effect energy and explosions and not physical impacts.

That would account for why most times Yamato is in real danger, it is Gamilon bombers causing the damage. Shields might not be effective against them. We will see sometime later if this is true or not.

Yamato's shock cannons gave a rather solid impact on the Gamilon warships and the shells, while doing less, seemed to get the job done. That warship seemed to slowly lose power before it hit the surface and exploded from the impact. Most of the others seemed to lose power as they were hit and exploded. Means there is something vital to their power systems in the nose area.

A Note: according the the Japanese Wiki on this show, the Carrier that Yamato destroyed with shells from the heavy shock cannon was 350m long.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-16 at 18:42.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 20:26   Link #743
Kamijou Touma IB
Imagine Breaker

The music for this show is so great I love the new version of the Universe Spreading To Infinity.
Kamijou Touma IB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-16, 21:50   Link #744
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Yamato's shock cannons gave a rather solid impact on the Gamilon warships and the shells, while doing less, seemed to get the job done. That warship seemed to slowly lose power before it hit the surface and exploded from the impact. Most of the others seemed to lose power as they were hit and exploded. Means there is something vital to their power systems in the nose area.
That seems likely, given that the Yamato aimed for the nose in three instances. Known weak point?
Old 2012-07-16, 22:44   Link #745
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Oh sweet, sweeeeet nostalgia. Those videos of the fighter launches and the Wave Motion Gun really bring back the old mojo, compiled with using the classic sound effects and music.

So from the preview of episode 4 it looks like we may be hitting some good KodaixYuuki screentime already. But there's definitely a hint of something from the quick smile they gave each other in the episode 7 preview.

And I like how they've mixed things up a bit by bringing in more female characters, especially bringing in Yamamoto's sister as a pilot to keep them from being all "bridge-bunny" characters. Even for the 60s/70s, having the crew be entirely male with just one single female crew member was.........odd. And as I recall, Yamamoto started off as a rookie at the beginning of original Yamato, so we're probably looking at the new Yamamoto growing up tot he be same great pilot her brother was in the original. Great move, studio.

Oh sweet nostalgia, thy name is AWESOME. 11 days until volume 2 comes out.........
Old 2012-07-17, 05:12   Link #746
macdawson

Yamamoto didn't have any coverage in the original Quest for Iscandar except for one scene in episode 4 when his fighter was damaged and almost missed the Yamato's first warp. I don't know if he was even named on that scene and they messed up his uniform, painting it with Kodai's colors. In Star Blazers they mistakingly called him Conroy and dubbed his lines with Conroy's voice. XD

Also, she isn't the sister of the original character that has been killed in this version. She IS Akira Yamamoto, only here he is a she and had a brother.
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 06:33   Link #747
macdawson

A few more videos surfaced at Nico Video, 3 are stuff repeated stuff (will go to that), but the other 3 are new and pure gold. Lets start with those:

Ep.04 - Yamamoto takes the Cosmo Zero to stop a tank attack:

Ep. 05 and 06 - Fan edited scenes featuring the Reflex Gun (note: besides the drooling that this got me to do, spot the massive homage to "Final Yamato", i literaly started clapping when i saw that. Well, played, Mr. Izubushi...well played):

Ep. 06 - The Yamato takes the battle to the Gamilas (note: notice the Gaiderol's warping, guess that's how the Yamato's warps will look in the future)

Now the repeated stuff.

Ep. 03 - Warp briefing, just because the image is now clean, sounds a bit wonky though...

The other 2 are part of the video with the battle and WMG firing at the Floating Continent. However, the video was at about 4:3 ratio, these 2 are closer to 16:9, though the bit between the 2 scenes is missing Any way:

Go and enjoy these while they're up.
Old 2012-07-17, 07:35   Link #748
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdawson View Post
Ep.04 - Yamamoto takes the Cosmo Zero to stop a tank attack:

Why did they bring along a giant unwieldy self propelled laser cannon that can't kill Gamilon tanks? Was it some piece of engineering equipment? Though given that the cannons on the fighters could kill the tanks with top down attacks (where vehicle armor tends to be weaker), I'd guess the much larger laser things aren't actually weapons.

In retrospect, given how much time they in preparation for this Yamato mission, it does seem strange they didn't have a Marine contingent on hand for these kind of things.
Quote:
Ep. 06 - The Yamato takes the battle to the Gamilas (note: notice the Gaiderol's warping, guess that's how the Yamato's warps will look in the future)

We're getting more emphasis at how easily the Yamato can one shot Gamilus ships. I saw one of those shock shells pass through and kill two ships.

I think this is another category behind "fixed defenses aren't very useful against Yamato".
Old 2012-07-17, 07:56   Link #749
macdawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Why did they bring along a giant unwieldy self propelled laser cannon that can't kill Gamilon tanks? Was it some piece of engineering equipment? Though given that the cannons on the fighters could kill the tanks with top down attacks (where vehicle armor tends to be weaker), I'd guess the much larger laser things aren't actually weapons.
I think that laser is a piece of mining equipment they're using to cut through the ice and whatever mineral they're trying to extract from Enceladus. But when they were attacked they got creative and... well, no harm in trying, right?
Old 2012-07-17, 10:58   Link #750
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

In response to the episode 4 preview...

You REALLY know this is going to be a retro styled series when you have scenes like this.
Old 2012-07-17, 11:01   Link #751
YF19EX

Nice to see anime studio's are instilling proper trigger discipline in the characters.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 12:13   Link #752
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Gamilas are going to need bigger ships. Or just more powerful ones if they are going to stop Yamato.

If that is just one Earth ship, imagine a fleet of ships using that technology. And what power would be needed to fight that sort of fleet. Dessler will need to up his game, or find allies that have more powerful toys.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-17 at 12:31.
Old 2012-07-17, 13:10   Link #753
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
The Gamilas are going to need bigger ships. Or just more powerful ones if they are going to stop Yamato.
I'm not sure bigger ships will be all that helpful with shielding that doesn't do jack to stop the Yamato's guns. The Yamato guns are MASSIVELY over killing the Gamilon destroyers in terms of penetration and brute force. This level of catastrophic damage applied to a ship 4x as big would still leave the ship mission killed.

Look at the smaller shock cannons hitting the gamilon destroyer. Wasn't totally annihilated, but it still got destroyed. I'm somewhat leaning towards this happening with the other gamilon ships...well, and there's the fact that ANY giant ship big enough to shrug off shock cannons is basically wave motion gun bait.

the Gamilons would have better luck hoping to get their hands on some crazy super tech to build a ship to counter the Yamato. Like the race for Iron clads in the american Civil war.
Quote:
If that is just one Earth ship, imagine a fleet of ships using that technology. And what power would be needed to fight that sort of fleet. Dessler will need to up his game, or find allies that have more powerful toys.
The Gamilons...would be screwed against a fleet of Earth ships like this. Mainly because such a fleet could take turns firing off the wave motion guns, so they could be firing them constantly in space battles.

Lets keep in mind that ONE of these ships wrecked the gamilon empire. And the only reasons the Gamilons had any hope was because there was always the chance of ambushing, or hitting the Yamato hard enough. Even a small squadron removes that hope.

4-5 Yamato style ships could clear out entire fortified star system civilizations like it was nothing if they were ruthless enough with their wave motion guns.
Old 2012-07-17, 13:59   Link #754
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And the 2201 Earth Fleet supposedly has something like 40 capital ships. Plus cruisers that have wave motion guns as well. And lighter vessels with shock cannons.

Plus Yamato and Andromeda.

Well there are options in dealing with Yamato and her like.

Spoiler for Possible future events:

If the timeline continues more or less per normal..."Yamato 2199" is the underpowered Yamato. The "Yamato 2201" Yamato is the regular powered Yamato. The one were the kinks have been worked out and they can use everything like an elite unit. The "Yamato 2202/Be Forever, Yamato" and beyond could be considered the overpowered Yamato. The one that can do continuous warps...blow up massive space stations with just shock cannon fire, and take out massive fleets and dwarf planets with the Wave Motion Gun that doesn't need hardly any time to power up...all without really being in danger. Basically doing what it does to the Gamilon fleet in this series...but can one shot massive capital ships easily.

And that's before the 2220 based film (2009) with the Yamato with the rapid fire, six shooter Wave Motion Gun.

None of that might come to pass with the remake.
Old 2012-07-17, 19:59   Link #755
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
And the 2201 Earth Fleet supposedly has something like 40 capital ships. Plus cruisers that have wave motion guns as well. And lighter vessels with shock cannons.

Plus Yamato and Andromeda.
Desslar...

Old 2012-07-17, 22:16   Link #756
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Least he learned from his mistakes.

Lessons for Next Time
Spoiler for Desslok Humor and long:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-07-17 at 23:30.
Old 2012-07-18, 15:52   Link #757
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Yamamoto didn't have any coverage in the original Quest for Iscandar except for one scene in episode 4 when his fighter was damaged and almost missed the Yamato's first warp. I don't know if he was even named on that scene and they messed up his uniform, painting it with Kodai's colors. In Star Blazers they mistakingly called him Conroy and dubbed his lines with Conroy's voice. XD

Also, she isn't the sister of the original character that has been killed in this version. She IS Akira Yamamoto, only here he is a she and had a brother.
Hm, I guess I forgot a few things. Though Yamamoto was specificall named back when his fighter was damaged in original Yamato. (I just watched the movie compilation the other day; I guess that caused a bit of my confusion )
Old 2012-07-18, 16:04   Link #758
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Yamamoto was named in the original, but that was his only appearance until the fifth episode of the second season (well actually he appeared again first in the second film, that the second season was based on, but his first appearance after the first season episode four was the same scene in both productions). His role was expanded in that season somewhat.

Be interesting to see if this new Yamamoto will have a similar role by Yamato 2201 (she'd be interesting in a fist fight with some marines).
Old 2012-07-18, 16:27   Link #759
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Quote:
Yamamoto was named in the original, but that was his only appearance until the fifth episode of the second season (well actually he appeared again first in the second film, that the second season was based on, but his first appearance after the first season episode four was the same scene in both productions). His role was expanded in that season somewhat.
That's what I mean. I got it a bit confused from the compilation movie. (I don't actually own the original series sadly , I saw it a long while ago)
Old 2012-07-18, 20:50   Link #760
kimpleng
Lurker

Is this series truly only showed in theatre? I really like this Yamato 2199 but not really like waiting. Just like Gundam Unicorn. But there is short youtube video posted by macdawson. I'm curious from where the uploader get the material.
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato