AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-06, 16:02   Link #241
HandofFate

Dio is such an ass.
I mean, okay his father sucked, but his mother seemed okay. But he has no reason why he's taking it out on this Joestar family when he should be happy he can leave his crappy past behind.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:09   Link #242
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuzwolf View Post
for non-manga reader that is curious about what happened to Danny since they cut the entire scene

kinda gore-ish though

Spoiler for danny:
That's pretty grim, but I think the anime still did a satisfactory job with that scene regardless. You didn't really need to see Danny burning alive to get across that Dio is a person that would go to such extreme lengths the make Jojo miserable. The notion of sticking his dog and friend in the incinerator alive is surely enough.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:10   Link #243
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
He is just born evil, it's as simple as that. A more elaborate answer would be that Dio is a sociopath from head to toes who sees himself as a God lording over insects.

Araki through the antagonism between Dio and Jonathan wanted to show a tale about the struggle between the inhuman and the human, the vile and the noble. Maybe people wanting something deeper will be disappointed but the beauty of JoJo lies in its simplicity in its struggle between two systems of morality. And Araki manages to deliver his tale through a sincere storytelling, starring larger-than-life characters.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:14   Link #244
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
That's pretty grim, but I think the anime still did a satisfactory job with that scene regardless. You didn't really need to see Danny burning alive to get across that Dio is a person that would go to such extreme lengths the make Jojo miserable. The notion of sticking his dog and friend in the incinerator alive is surely enough.
I wonder from this pattern though, how much 'censoring/cutting' they plan to remove from the adaptation. The manga has a good share of graphic killings and injury.
Old 2012-10-06, 16:19   Link #245
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Man, that was good. It's been a long while since I read this arc, so I didn't remember all the details but it was overall pretty good. I feel it did a pretty good job capturing the style of things as well.

So, this is going to go through all the Story Arcs, right? Or is it dependent on how successful this first one is?

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:10   Link #246
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Owh sheet... the first episode got me feel this emotional... forget about Jojo being abused and treated like hell, but that pitiful Danny... ano Danny... kawaii sou Danny... its a good thing they cut out that scene, or else i'm going to shed tears watching Danny burned to death.

And tho the pace does feel like its fast, but how deep Dio got into me just before the episode ends proves that time didn't matter at all. Few scenes it took to hit me with the impact of Dio's evilness and badassery, and i was like all mad and infuriated watching every abuse and madness that he did not only to Jojo and Erina, but Danny too.

First episode is sooooo well done. Could see alot of Araki's original scenes and styles maintained, and that sound effects, and that "to be continued" sign in Jojo's style ... damn! Old school shounen still delivers the thrill and madness, bringing back the era where manliness rules over moeness. Of course there's no moeness in a series that has lasted for 25 years... even if they drew Erina and other girls/women in Jojo to be moe and pretty, it would never be as fabulous and popular as Jojo and Dio.

Truly enjoying for a first episode. A nice fresh start of a GAR series after years of watching same old moe and bishounen shits, and i have nothing to complain for this fabulous opening episode. And i don't think i can wait for subs anymore after watching how great the first episode delivers... this is so awesome, i definitely need to watch the raws immediately once after they aired it on TV after this.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 19:41   Link #247
Psycho_Kenshin

This is so damn good. Best episode of a new anime I've seen since, oh, probably Rainbow two years ago.

Also it's great that this is going at such an awesome pace. My only other exposure to Jojo were the OVAs (loved those) and the Dreamcast/PS fighting game.

Such a breath of fresh air, freakin' awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Man, that was good. It's been a long while since I read this arc, so I didn't remember all the details but it was overall pretty good. I feel it did a pretty good job capturing the style of things as well.

So, this is going to go through all the Story Arcs, right? Or is it dependent on how successful this first one is?
So far we know this season is going to be 26 episodes, covering the first two parts of the manga. I do hope they get to cover the whole thing, would be legendary.

Though for the climax of part 3, it'd be tough to top those original 6 OVA episodes from the 90s. That's some of my favorite anime, and even just from a production standpoint it's so well done. Though I know that, and especially the 2000s OVAs, don't cover the whole story arc by far.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:14   Link #248
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Not familiar with the source or the past ovas, but i think i could get into this. I haven't had outright hated and been pissed off at a character in a while and Dio just took the cake. I really hope Jojo takes him out. Like how Erina was defiant about the kiss and washed it out with the muddy water.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:51   Link #249
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well it isnt to bad it just Dio is an ass and JoJo is a slob like they where switched at birth
Old 2012-10-06, 23:07   Link #250
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho_Kenshin View Post
So far we know this season is going to be 26 episodes, covering the first two parts of the manga. I do hope they get to cover the whole thing, would be legendary.

Though for the climax of part 3, it'd be tough to top those original 6 OVA episodes from the 90s. That's some of my favorite anime, and even just from a production standpoint it's so well done. Though I know that, and especially the 2000s OVAs, don't cover the whole story arc by far.
I suppose it may depend on how this first anime does then? Is JoJo still really popular in Japan? I mean, I assume it still has some fanbase as it is still running but enough to get another show?

Yeah, I have to admit that it's going to be tough, but I still look forward to seeing it. Mainly to see how they handle things like the Stand battles and ZA WARUDO. I sort of feel like watching that last episode now.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 00:29   Link #251
Psycho_Kenshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday View Post
Mainly to see how they handle things like the Stand battles and ZA WARUDO. I sort of feel like watching that last episode now.
Hell yeah, those were done beautifully in those 90s OVAs. And agreed hopefully this season is successful enough that they get to do the rest of it.

Though either way, this season will be something special.
Old 2012-10-07, 01:55   Link #252
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Oh god, this is so gloriously terrible in a sort of amazing way. It's so over the top and so overracted that it's actually pretty darn good stuff. Dio's the best bully I've seen in anime.
Old 2012-10-07, 02:42   Link #253
leokiko

Awesome. Went over what I expected. Rating it 10/10 for the first episode. One of my favorite openers of the season.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 03:31   Link #254
petran79
out of touch with anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by margafred View Post
Owh sheet... the first episode got me feel this emotional... forget about Jojo being abused and treated like hell, but that pitiful Danny... ano Danny... kawaii sou Danny... its a good thing they cut out that scene, or else i'm going to shed tears watching Danny burned to death.

And tho the pace does feel like its fast, but how deep Dio got into me just before the episode ends proves that time didn't matter at all. Few scenes it took to hit me with the impact of Dio's evilness and badassery, and i was like all mad and infuriated watching every abuse and madness that he did not only to Jojo and Erina, but Danny too.

First episode is sooooo well done. Could see alot of Araki's original scenes and styles maintained, and that sound effects, and that "to be continued" sign in Jojo's style ... damn! Old school shounen still delivers the thrill and madness, bringing back the era where manliness rules over moeness. Of course there's no moeness in a series that has lasted for 25 years... even if they drew Erina and other girls/women in Jojo to be moe and pretty, it would never be as fabulous and popular as Jojo and Dio.

Truly enjoying for a first episode. A nice fresh start of a GAR series after years of watching same old moe and bishounen shits, and i have nothing to complain for this fabulous opening episode. And i don't think i can wait for subs anymore after watching how great the first episode delivers... this is so awesome, i definitely need to watch the raws immediately once after they aired it on TV after this.

Still even though I agree that adding the manga scene of the death of the dog would be shocking, at least they could show the devotion the dog had for Jojo, saving his life and living carefree just like his master, even though Jojo tortured him at first. Cutting all that leaves a serious gap in character development and would make the death scene more dramatic. Also some discussions between Dio and Jojo's father would be helpful.

In the manga there is no proof that Dio killed the dog and Dio never mentions this at all. It might have been some of Dio's cronies to avenge the beating of their leader, without Dio even approving it at all. In the anime Dio explicitly states that he killed the dog. Though it would be strange to approach that dog, tie it and put it in a box, since the animal feared Dio and wasnt small to begin with. Maybe a sleeping dose but this would arouse suspicion.

To adapt such scenes to anime requires trememendous skill and experience as a director, script writer and producer, something I fear the young production staff lack. So they'll focus on the battles instead. Reading the first volumes was like watching Candy Candy with beatings!

I liked the manga also for the character development, which was funny or tragic depending on the circumstances. The actors certainly perform their role well and understand the characters. But for everything else I sense something lacking.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 06:31   Link #255
Blaat

To be absolutely clear am I supposed to take this anime seriously? Because at the moment this show feels like a parody of old school anime (I was really laughing at the over the top aspect of this series)
Old 2012-10-07, 06:43   Link #256
brocko

Parody? This show is old school son lol

Jojo dates all the way back till '86. Dunno why the hell it took so bloody long for a proper TV series. 2012 pretty much marks the 25th year anniversary for the franchise, which is why we get this uber awesome kickass TV show now

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 06:44   Link #257
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
To be absolutely clear am I supposed to take this anime seriously? Because at the moment this show feels like a parody of old school anime (I was really laughing at the over the top aspect of this series)
That's the point of JoJo. It's told with a straight face and yet it's so ridiculous and larger than life that the series itself and its fans fully embrace it. If Ikuhara's FABULOUS is as big as the Sun, Araki's FABULOUS is as big as the Universe.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 07:27   Link #258
ookamigirl

Jojo's spotlight got hijacked the moment Dio stepped foot on their estate.
He was just too naive and good-hearted..
That Dio truly turned his life into Hell.
Erina & his dog were the only things he had left.
Seeing Jojo snap was kinda refreshing.
This looks interesting, will give it a few more episodes.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 07:46   Link #259
Bern-san

First episode was amazing.
I loved Koyasu Takehito voicing Dio.

Haven't read the source material or watched the previous OVAs but will stick with this.
Just looking at the comments about how fabulous is going to be makes me excited
Old 2012-10-07, 07:51   Link #260
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
That's the point of JoJo. It's told with a straight face and yet it's so ridiculous and larger than life that the series itself and its fans fully embrace it. If Ikuhara's FABULOUS is as big as the Sun, Araki's FABULOUS is as big as the Universe.
Yep, but I think what he meant is the soap opera aspect in the 1st episode. Yes that's pretty serious stuff, its a start of fate that binding Joestar (*) and Dio.

Just think like this is similar to origin of Belmont's family oath to kill Dracula, Phantom Blood supposed to be the origin "tale" like that, hence all of that opera aspect in 1st episode.

I hope someone with better english can explain better tho, cause this post look like a mess lol.

Tags
fabulous