AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

View Poll Results: Utawarerumono Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 8 14.55%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 47.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 25.45%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 10.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-07-12, 15:01   Link #41
Idle Eve
Tip of the Brink.

Send a message via AIM to Idle Eve Send a message via MSN to Idle Eve
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon
So Hakuoro took his 2 best fighters with him on his assassination mission. Well, I guess he can't go anywhere unless he takes half of his harem with him...
Whenever I'm watching the anime, I try to put myself in Hakuoro's position. What would I do on a mission like this...
And frankly and embarassingly, I'd do the exact same thing.

Don't kill me. I'm a Touka and Karura fan.
Old 2006-07-12, 15:22   Link #42
Kisuke06
I see...

OMG! Animation totaly sucked. But at least in the preview for the next episode the animation looked fine. But it was a good epsiode. Some of the battle scenes was very good, I especially liked the scene when Touka came to help Hakuoro.
Old 2006-07-12, 15:57   Link #43
Nainara

Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but I liked many of the action scenes in the first half of episode 14. The clips such as the one with Crow slicing up regulars, gave a real sense of motion and action in the fight that Utawarerumono lacks frequently. The part where Karura offers Crow sake and licks her lips as she walks offscreen had me in stitches.

I find the unique guest style of animation in the first half of this episode far preferable to the studio filling the action scenes by using the same tired old recycled clips of Hakuoro's lizard tail swiping a solder then fan clubbing the next guy.
Old 2006-07-12, 16:58   Link #44
PGilis
B-Gamer and anime otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to PGilis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Eve

Don't kill me. I'm a Touka and Karura fan.
And who isn't?

Hakuoro is smarter than i thought. If he lose the war, he can pretty much escape easily with his two best bodyguards and hottest harem-members, to constroy a new harem in another place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nainara
Maybe I'm alone in this opinion, but I liked many of the action scenes in the first half of episode 14. The clips such as the one with Crow slicing up regulars, gave a real sense of motion and action in the fight that Utawarerumono lacks frequently. The part where Karura offers Crow sake and licks her lips as she walks offscreen had me in stitches.
No, you're not alone. I liked the action scenes too. But i still prefer the original animation to this one.

Anyway this episode was fantastic. Hakuoro keeps increasing his coolness, showing how smart and great tactian he is.

God, i'm dying to see in the next episode he thrusting many times his tensen in the face of that i'm-bad-i-eat-babies-and-i-laugh-like-a-crazy-man emperor Yue!
Old 2006-07-12, 20:03   Link #45
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I won't bother spending too much time dwelling on the animation, it's been discussed enough. I will say that they clearly sacrificed art for fluent motion, but it's not a sacrifice I think should be made too frequently... particularly in scenes where there's hardly any motion.

I'm not liking the direction this show is going in. The pacing has gone from brisk to relentless, and I'm concerned that the characters are going to come off second best because of it. The plot isn't bad without being brilliant, but the characters are starting to get neglected. These are the exact same warning signs that F/SN put up, and I'm going to be so horribly disappointed if Uta doesn't learn from DEEN's mistakes before it. There also seems to be a neglect in atmosphere... Uta seems to be convinced that the plot can create the atmosphere by itself and it just isn't working. That's two out of the big three components of plot, characters and atmosphere which haven't been firing of recent. As far as characters are concerned, it's really only been Hakuoro and, to a lesser extent, Eruruu, who've done anything profound of late. The rest of the cast have fallen into rather device-ish roles, which is a pity becuase Hakuoro just can't be expected to carry this story alone.

I had high hopes for this titles, but there are cracks starting to appear which signify there's somewhat of a chance that it's not going to deliver. That'd be a huge pity, IMO. Hakuoro's too good a character to be wasted on a mediocre story.
Old 2006-07-12, 21:33   Link #46
Toonleap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K
I won't bother spending too much time dwelling on the animation, it's been discussed enough. I will say that they clearly sacrificed art for fluent motion, but it's not a sacrifice I think should be made too frequently... particularly in scenes where there's hardly any motion.

I'm not liking the direction this show is going in. The pacing has gone from brisk to relentless, and I'm concerned that the characters are going to come off second best because of it. The plot isn't bad without being brilliant, but the characters are starting to get neglected. These are the exact same warning signs that F/SN put up, and I'm going to be so horribly disappointed if Uta doesn't learn from DEEN's mistakes before it. There also seems to be a neglect in atmosphere... Uta seems to be convinced that the plot can create the atmosphere by itself and it just isn't working. That's two out of the big three components of plot, characters and atmosphere which haven't been firing of recent. As far as characters are concerned, it's really only been Hakuoro and, to a lesser extent, Eruruu, who've done anything profound of late. The rest of the cast have fallen into rather device-ish roles, which is a pity becuase Hakuoro just can't be expected to carry this story alone.

I had high hopes for this titles, but there are cracks starting to appear which signify there's somewhat of a chance that it's not going to deliver. That'd be a huge pity, IMO. Hakuoro's too good a character to be wasted on a mediocre story.

Well, I think you should consider something about Utaware:

They are working on a tight budget, and with a 26 episodes span, I think the writers are trying their best to compile the story, and based on a game that takes several hours or days to finish, I think they are doing a good job. Of course it is a pity to sacrifice some character development and twists and turns and interaction between the characters. Even "Lord of the Rings" with its huge budget had to sacrifice some things, and still it is a good trilogy...but there are still 11 episodes left so lets give them a chance. Besides, there are many people who still enjoys the show and who knows, the popularity can change the course of things.

Fate Stay Night somehow lost some steem in the middle or almost ending the show. Utaware is gaining more and more force and the animation and story still keeps people interested.

In the OP, you can see the villains and different characters that are appearing in progress in the story. There are a couple of characters that still have to appear in the series so there must be plenty of character development. Lets hope so.

If the writers do a good job and wrap everything right, without loose ends, Utaware should become one of the best anime series in recent history and can become a classic...if not, you can always play the game.

Thats my personal opinion.... ...Everything you said has a good point of view, and I agree with most of the things you said.
Old 2006-07-12, 22:37   Link #47
Orchunter226
Is rather bored...

I liked the fluent animation during the fight scenes - it was awesome - but during normal dialogue scenes it was lacking.

As for the story: Well it is picking up and I'm really starting to enjoy it more. I also wish that they could include a little more character development, but they still have time for that. And right now it seems to be concentrated on the war. Only so much you can put into 20+ mins. Oh well, let's see how things turn out.
Old 2006-07-12, 22:42   Link #48
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I'm not delighted with the drastic shift on the animation, but surprisingly the staff managed to make it effective.

It had its ups and downs particularly in those close-up shots on the people. Their faces and bodies look lanky and squalid, resembling mannequins. But in itself this shift detailed the shock and instinctive reactions of the victims and the attackers; much expressed how crude and fiery the hell was raging upon experiencing it.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-13, 01:02   Link #49
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonleap
If the writers do a good job and wrap everything right, without loose ends, Utaware should become one of the best anime series in recent history and can become a classic...if not, you can always play the game.
If not, can always play the game doesn't change the fact that "if not" = "anime failed". It's the excuse fans of F/SN used to defend the anime, but it still didn't change the fact that the F/SN anime was underwhelming, particularly when compared with the game. I hope the same doesn't turn out with Utawarerumono, but there are things I've seen from the last two episodes in particularly that make me begin to think it could turn out that way.
Old 2006-07-13, 01:22   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

O well there's always the game ... doesn't work for me either. I take anime on its own. If it depends on you being intimate with the game then they've failed (*cough* Disgaea *cough*).

So I'm also concerned about the shallowing in character development. But we still have a lot of episodes to go so I'm not panicking just yet. Right now my main sarcastic comment is that its easier to slack on character development when you keep killing off the characters as fast as you can.
Old 2006-07-13, 03:02   Link #51
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
They are sacrificing a good amount of character development to get the entire story in 26 episodes. They did say they wanted to focus on the more serious aspects of Utaware, and unfortunately, a lot of the character development are done using comedy in the game. Even though I would've liked more comedy/character development, at least the adaptation team knows what they are doing and are creating a solid piece by focusing on a few things rather than trying to cram everything in at once. Let's hope the 2nd box for Utaware also comes with a comedy episode as I am very much looking forward to the extra episode in the 1st box.
Old 2006-07-13, 05:17   Link #52
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Is that the three disc box you're talking about zalas?

Hope so, 'cause i've got it on my orders. ^^;
Old 2006-07-14, 09:52   Link #53
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The sudden shift in animation can be likened to not-yet-dry oil painting getting a firehose turned on it. Looked good for a while, then suddenly sucked. Oh well, the topic's been beaten to death already, so that's all I'll say about it.
Otherwise, this episode was a significant upgrade from the last. Glad I stuck with it. I thought the sudden emphasis on gore was a bit odd, but not a big complaint. Plot's picking back up, too. Definitely liking that. Looking forward to the last-ditch-effort in the next episode.

The series as a whole, however, is suffering from a disturbing lack of Kamyu. If there's one thing that can offset even the animation, it's more Kamyu.
Old 2006-07-14, 10:34   Link #54
Toonleap

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy
The series as a whole, however, is suffering from a disturbing lack of Kamyu. If there's one thing that can offset even the animation, it's more Kamyu.
Dont worry about Kamyu...You will see her a lot in the next episodes....She plays an important role in the series...
Old 2006-07-14, 10:44   Link #55
Cardiac Glycoside

Speaking of Kamyu, did anyone notice that Karura's bust size mysteriously overtook hers in this episode? I have proof (never mind that this montage makes fun of Oboro).

I'm sorry that's it's on yousendit, but photobucket is currently under maintenance so I'll upload it some time later.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.ph...F8971479FAAA40
Old 2006-07-14, 10:46   Link #56
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I suspected that may be. Black wings doesn't seem like a common thing, and different (and probably spoilerish) scenes in the intro were what tipped me off. Hence, I was kinda surprised when she was almost immediately shoved to the side after making an exceptionally l33t entrance.
Thank you, Toonleap. I shall now sleep better at night for having been told that more Kamyu awaits
Old 2006-07-14, 16:18   Link #57
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Speaking of Kamyu, was Mukuru mentioned at all in this episode? What's the hueg tiger going to be doing? =/
Old 2006-07-14, 21:51   Link #58
Lost

He's a Tanker.. KD's got a point, haven been seeing much of Mukuru really fighting, I would love more of that.
Old 2006-07-14, 22:41   Link #59
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon
Speaking of Kamyu, was Mukuru mentioned at all in this episode? What's the hueg tiger going to be doing? =/
They forgot about Mukuru, I think. That, or Mukuru been too busy off to the side licking its (Censored).

But I suppose they'll now be making more use of the characters, now that it finally appears that Hakuoro will up & confront Emperor Yue "Ka Ka Ka" dude. But, being that there will supposably be different parties, animation story perspective, as I would expect is going to be probably jumping between one and the other.
Old 2006-07-15, 00:38   Link #60
evil-samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonleap
Dont worry about Kamyu...You will see her a lot in the next episodes....She plays an important role in the series...
Yea! more Kamyu is always good, then again nearly all the characters in Utawarerumono are interesting and awesome, so I dont mind which characters they focus on more, although... I always love! to see more of Karura swinging her sword around
Closed Thread