Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-10-03, 18:11   Link #881
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Not much use, a background in engineering, science or production techniques doesn't bring any advantage to economic policy making. At the core it's all just understanding applied math and statistics.

It's an interesting group Romney has gathered, but fairly skewed towards free-market oligarchy hardliners.
Fixed. They saw how well Gazprom is doing in their old enemy's land and wanted the same thing too.

A free market is fine. So is capitalism. But corporatism and plutocracy isn't.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-03, 19:20   Link #882
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
A free market is fine. So is capitalism. But corporatism and plutocracy isn't.
Requoted for great truth. There really IS a difference.
Old 2012-10-03, 19:37   Link #883
Sumeragi
Banned

At least I know Mankiw isn't an oligarchist.
Old 2012-10-03, 20:00   Link #884
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Sarah Palin is trying to stay relevant

Quote:
Many of you have seen the 2007 speech in which then-Senator Obama suggested that because of racism the federal government didn’t waive the Stafford Act to assist New Orleans after Katrina. What you may not know is that 10 days before Senator Obama gave this speech, the federal government did in fact waive the Stafford Act for New Orleans. And to add insult to injury, Barack Obama was one of 14 senators who actually voted against the bill that included the provision to give supplemental emergency assistance to New Orleans. In other words, he was being dishonest and divisive, which is behavior we’ve sadly seen far too often from him in the last four years.
Old 2012-10-03, 20:24   Link #885
james0246

Romeny is commanding the stage. He's being very loose with facts, and the sopihstry is strong within him, but he is still commanding the stage. He's eloquent and persuasive without being too domineering. Quite strong. I will say that he needs to look into the camera more (he talks to the President too much, not the people).

No moderation from Jim Lehrer, though.
Old 2012-10-03, 20:34   Link #886
Xacual

I can't stand listening to it. Both of them were annoying the hell out of me. Romney's continuing "of being loose with facts" as james put it just gets on my nerves.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2012-10-03, 20:58   Link #887
james0246

As the "debate" continues, Romney is becoming more domineering (and weirdly smug for someone that isnlying or at least omitting the truth quite a bit), especially as he cavalierly interupts Lehrer and Obama (Lehrer has been just awful as a moderator). But, Obama has been way too laid back. He definitely has more facts on his side, but he has been unable or unwilling to actually act on his actual facts.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:15   Link #888
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yes, I predicted Lehrer would fail... he can't keep control. Someone with more authority and strength is needed for this sort of thing. Romney's "centrist veneer" is cratering and I'm wondering how many extreme right wingers he's scaring. otoh, Obama has missed a half dozen chances to skewer Romney myths (e.g. the $700B nonsense).

Romney is at his best when he's not ACTUALLY SAYING anything ... in other words, wrapping himself in flag and country instead of providing answers.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:19   Link #889
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Lehrer has really done an abysmally bad job moderating this debate. Maybe he is shook up over the scandal that destroyed his lying, cheat, son but there is really no excuse for this kind of performance at a presidential debate.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:23   Link #890
james0246

It's kind of weird that Romney took up 60 + percent of the time.

Obama has failed in terms of truly stating his points, and he has allowed Romney to run all over him. By acting like an adult (and not the smirking silliness that Romney has slowly become during the course of this debate), he has been lost in Romney's flow.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:26   Link #891
Xagzan

This is embarrassing to watch. I wonder how many pages Romney's lies and omissions of truth tonight could fill.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:26   Link #892
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Fact numbers that both sides were using:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/04/us...y-numbers.html

The problem is --- when Romney plays "CEO who isn't used to being interrupted" it takes a lot of energy to skewer each bit of nonsense. And Obama didn't do as well as he needed, imo.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:30   Link #893
james0246

I expect Obama has decided to let the Economic debate slide (it was always going to be his weakest area, so he could have decided to minimize the damage) so as to focus on the foreign policy and townhall debates.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:31   Link #894
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
As the "debate" continues, Romney is becoming more domineering (and weirdly smug for someone that isnlying or at least omitting the truth quite a bit), especially as he cavalierly interupts Lehrer and Obama (Lehrer has been just awful as a moderator). But, Obama has been way too laid back. He definitely has more facts on his side, but he has been unable or unwilling to actually act on his actual facts.
Sometimes being too nice of a guy could hurt you, like what's happening to Obama right now.

Romney is acting like a total ass, but I don't think Obama has the strength to stand up to him...

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
Old 2012-10-03, 21:32   Link #895
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Given the way many viewers use gut instead of head, we can assume that Romney smirk might make more difference than what Obama says (see prior president debates for likewise failing moments).
Old 2012-10-03, 21:50   Link #896
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I must say I'm very disappointed at how Obama didn't throw his weight around to try KO Romney with more punch in his arguments early on. Is it some trend for running-for-re-election presidents to let the first debate slip like that?

Just stop being nice already, Barack. Just make the challenger taste the floor next time.
Old 2012-10-03, 21:53   Link #897
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I must say I'm very disappointed at how Obama didn't throw his weight around to try KO Romney with more punch in his arguments early on. Is it some trend for running-for-re-election presidents to let the first debate slip like that?

Just stop being nice already, Barack. Just make the challenger taste the floor next time.
Obama, always with his sense of humour, is trying to get Romney to talk himself into oblivion. Using solely the pressure of inaction.

An age old tactic of social engineering that never fails against a know-nothing.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2012-10-03, 22:18   Link #898
flying ^

The only logical conclusion after this debate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Moore

People Should Start to Practice the Words 'President Romney'.
Old 2012-10-03, 22:25   Link #899
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

They should be practicing "Four legs good, two legs better."

Old 2012-10-03, 22:29   Link #900
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I've never had anything nice to say about Michael Moore. I still don't.